Chapter 2 - The Day He Left Ilsan

Tongue gets tied, Words get trapped

 

 

Notes: No Longer test chapter(s), I already got the approval, Woohoo! :D

 

Junho never thought of sending another note to Chansung. He argues to himself that one content smile from Chansung is enough. However, that day happened.

That day as in the day you read out loud in front of the class the writing assignment from Mrs. Cho. Not just any assignment but your goal in life or ideal professions later in your life.

Bearing in mind that this will be read in front of the class, Junho decided not to write his original aim and write something more moderate and common instead. However, it was not the case with Hwang Chansung. Junho sometimes wonder where he got his never-ending stock of bravery or is the kid was totally dense. At least, you have to try to avoid being the target of tease and bully.

“I have always wanted to be a successful singer one day,” that’s how he starts his essay.

Junho wants to hide his face in his palms as he listens to the wild cackles from the others but he can’t since Chansung decides to keep reading his essay.

“To sing equals to deliver messages which may not be heard just by talking alone. To sing equals to touch many people’s hearts at once and maybe help others in need.”

 

“Do you think people will understand your singing? People wonder what are you talking about sometimes, you know?”

 

Chansung stops at this and Mrs. Cho decided to take his essay and reprimand the bullies.

The noise died down but probably not the echoing laughter.

Contemplating about it now, Junho feels that Mrs. Cho probably should be stricter to the others. Probably he should say something in defense of Chansung. Probably Mrs. Cho should just let Chansung finish his essay. Because at least everybody will learn how brave Hwang Chansung is.

 

***

 

Junho come early the next day. He has prepared another note. He puts it at Chansung’s table and sticks it with a little scotch tape so it won’t fly away. Aferwards, he ran outside and decided to wait for the bell in the running field with some other students.

He may not seen Chansung’s expression directly but he has this positive vibes through out the day and keep humming You are my sunshine.

Junho considers the note as another success.

 

 

‘People are jealous of your sunshine. Don't let them rain on your parade.

- I Nuneo

PS: I think you have great voice for singing!’

 

***

 

Junho doesn’t know why but after that he just keep writing notes for Chansung.

Sometimes he left it early in the morning when no one has arrived to the class.

 

'You said Lion is the king of all animals yesterday.

But I think Leopard is way cooler.

- I Nuneo'

 

‘Your new haircut is great! :)

- I Nuneo’

 

Some other time, he left it in between period. Chansung takes forever in canteen. Junho sometimes wonder if Chansung’s stomach can really take that much food for one lunch, but on the bright side, he can slip the notes during lunch.

 

'Don’t eat too many fries at a time. A singer should always take care of his voice!

-I Nuneo'

 

When he saw how Chansung pouts after reading this note, he chuckles quietly. He even considers drawing comedic banana but then seeing how he has zero talent in drawing he abort the idea.

'Take banana instead when you’re hungry!

- I Nuneo'

 

 

'I see how you constantly consume banana now.

Should consider changing your name into Chanana.

- I Nuneo'

 

Sometimes, Junho slipped nonsense notes. Just because he can. 

'Did you know that:

one of the rarest leopards is  Amur leopard, which is found in Russia, Korea and China?

- I Nuneo'

 

Chansung’s math grade is improving and he even smiles more nowadays, making the bullies slows down and probably wonders how Chansung can take it all.

‘Congratulation for being the school’s representation for the Math Competition!

I always know you are a genius!

- I Nuneo’

 

 

***

 

But all the good things have come to an end. This is where the universe decided to be a and reminds them life is not always rainbows and butterflies.

Even though, the said targets are still in elementary schools.

 

The announcement of Chansung’s soon change of school came out of the blue. Junho sits there quietly. After some time, he starts to feel dizzy and realize he has been holding his breath for quite some time.

The teacher says that it has been a wonderful 7 months with Chansung and that he will leave the next Friday, which means it’s only 2 days away and Junho can’t breath.

 

He really can’t breath.

 

***

 

He can’t sleep well, can’t eat well and can’t even think well.

He feels heavy in his heart and he doesn’t know why.

 

This is Hwang Chansung and he just knows this kid for seven months. He doesn’t even talk to him directly that much. Their method of communication involves one-way communication via several notes. He shouldn’t feel this attached. He shouldn’t be this sad.

 

But in fact, he does feel sad. He feels so much sorrow he can’t even identify what exactly that is at that time. Thus, he did the only thing he can do.

He writes another note.

 

***

 

He slips it in Chansung’s Math notebook during lunchtime on Friday.

It’s Hwang Chansung’s last day at school and directly Junho can only smile to him as he says,

“See you again,”

 

While deep in his heart, he doesn’t have the confidence that they will meet again.

He goes home and cries for an hour.

 

At least, at the very least he said all the things he wants to say in his last note.

Although considering its length, he sometimes consider whether he wrote a love letter to the other boy at the time.

 

***

 

 

'Yah, Hwang Chansung!

How come you decided to move school again? It’s only seven months here in Ilsan.

Is Ilsan that bad? Does the words from the others still hurt you deeply? Don’t you want to represent the school for next year math competition?

I’m sad. I cried so much last night. I’m sad for the fact you have to move. I’m sad for the fact that I won’t be able to see you and observe you from afar anymore. But first and foremost I’m mad – not at you – but at myself, for not using these 7 months in a better way.

I’m sorry I have never been a good friend to you. Not directly, not ever. I’m sorry I can never listen to your stories directly and now, not ever. I’m sorry I am such a coward I can never defend you in front of the others while I want to. I really want to defend you. So Bad.

I’m so sorry we can never chat normally like how friends should do.

Despite this, I hope you will have true friends in your next school(s). I don’t know how frequent you will change school but I hope you will find better schools and friends in the future.

I wish you can reach your dreams to be a singer and I believe you. I know you will be a successful artist/singer one day.

I also hope when you have achieved this,  I can also be a better person.

Someone who can stand up for the others and can speak his mind freely.

Someone who will be worth to call himself Hwang Chansung’s friend.

- I Nuneo from Ilsan -'

 

***