A Sound of Thunder

A Sound of Thunder

Leeteuk seemed uneasy about dropping Eunhyuk off at the SM Entertainment building after Sukira was over. Eunhyuk didn’t particularly know why, and he thought about it as he strolled into the company, like usual. It was past midnight, so the building’s lights were dimmed low. This didn’t scare Eunhyuk at all, since he knew that trainees, employees, and other staff would still be bustling around.

The place was always busy.

Twisting and turning down various hallways, Eunhyuk found his hand grabbing at a door--the door to the large practice room Super Junior shared with SNSD. Secretly, he’d always come late, when no one he knew was around, and dance, by himself. A little extra practice never hurt anyone, Eunhyuk reasoned. He swung the door open slowly and poked his head in. The lights were pulsating weakly overhead.

“Eunhyuk?”

Startled, Eunhyuk leaned against the door so that it hit the wall with a loud slam. He blinked his eyes wide open and saw a familiar blonde staring at him curiously, a playful smile adorning her already mocking features.

“Ah, hey, Hyoyeon,” Eunhyuk said, trying to remain casual, but looking stiff as a board.

“Sorry, did I scare you?” Hyoyeon asked, as a smirk unknowingly creeping on to her face.

Eunhyuk shut the door tight and moonwalked to the center of the practice room, glancing at himself in the mirrors.

Hyoyeon snorted and muttered, “Show-off.”

Eunhyuk merely chuckled, amused. “So what are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Hyoyeon took a seat against the mirrors and patted the spot next to her, indicating for Eunhyuk to sit down.

He smiled, doing so, glad that he was able to talk normally with a close friend. “I like getting extra practice.”

“But aren’t your promotions over?” Hyoyeon raised an eyebrow in confusion.

Eunhyuk wasn’t sure why he suddenly thought she looked absolutely adorable, but he pushed the odd feeling aside. “Yeah, but you know, we’re all heading to New York soon.”

Hyoyeon nodded in acknowledgement and mumbled, almost to herself, “I don’t know what you even need to practice though. You’ve got the dance parade down perfectly.”

Eunhyuk smirked and rose to his feet, as his head inflated to twice its size. “So you’re saying I’m perfect?”

“I didn’t say anything,” Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out childishly and folded her arms across her chest. “But hey, you’re all talk, you know.”

“I don’t talk,” Eunhyuk grinned, “I dance.”

“Then stop talking and dance, Dancing Machine.” Hyoyeon stayed seated, tilting her head up so she would be able to watch him.

“No music?” Eunhyuk complained.

“So needy,” Hyoyeon huffed, putting an arm up. “Help?”

Eunhyuk reached for her hand and pulled her towards him, unintentionally bringing the girl mere centimeters away from him. She was breathing hard and their chests were almost touching. Eunhyuk was afraid that Hyoyeon would hear his heartbeat pounding like a bass drum. The sound overwhelmed him, but luckily ended when Hyoyeon dropped his hand and made her way over to the opposite side of the practice room.

“So what kind of music?” she asked nonchalantly, as if nothing happened.

My music,” Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, as if this were obvious.

“Your ego is so ridiculously huge,” she commented teasingly.

She picked up her iPod and scrolled through her songs in an attempt to find a dance-able Super Junior tune.

“Before I turn sixty, would be nice,” Eunhyuk called to her, grinning with his gums.

Hyoyeon ignored his remark and continued rifling through her Super Junior playlist. Eunhyuk came to the conclusion that Hyoyeon had practically all of their songs.

“Okay, I found A-Cha!”

“And why did that take you so long?” Eunhyuk groaned, running a hand through his light blond hair.

“Why do you always talk, but never dance?” Hyoyeon shot back smartly, jamming her iPod back into the iPod dock.

She pressed a button, turning up the volume of the song only slightly. Hyoyeon’s eyes then darted up and she gave Eunhyuk a thumbs-up, while simultaneously pushing the play button.

The intro of Super Junior’s follow-up single to Mr. Simple blared through the speakers. Eunhyuk immediately transformed into a well-oiled dancing machine. He had memorized the choreographed dance long ago, so he knew it like the back of his hand, and it definitely showed through his private performance. Hands, feet, and legs all moved together, and Hyoyeon finally witnessed, up close, the charm Eunhyuk brought to the stage. In awe, Hyoyeon observed Eunhyuk meticulously, her eyes never leaving his body. As the final notes of the song were perceived, Eunhyuk moved into the ending pose and froze. Hyoyeon clapped enthusiastically, clearly impressed. She was beaming widely.

“I told you you’re good,” Hyoyeon exclaimed, “So why would you waste your sleep practicing?”

“There’s room for improvement,” Eunhyuk admitted, “I messed up a few times.”

“I didn’t notice it,” Hyoyeon mused, bewildered, plopping down in the middle of the room.

“Well, I messed up,” Eunhyuk sighed, visibly disappointed.

He descended next to Hyoyeon, who patted his shoulder comfortingly. “Hey, don’t beat yourself up over it.”

Eunhyuk smiled, “Thanks.”

Hyoyeon just nodded in return. “You should really be at home sleeping though.”

“And what about you?” Eunhyuk frowned.

“I can’t sleep; we’re filming our comeback stage tomorrow.” Hyoyeon breathed deeply, sounding unconfident.

Eunhyuk ruffled her hair, and Hyoyeon blinked in surprise; it was the first time he ever did something like that. “You girls will do great; I don’t know what you’re worrying about.”

“Anything, everything?” Hyoyeon answered vaguely, shrugging.

She stifled a yawn, and tried to suppress it. Eunhyuk was constantly glancing at her, so naturally, he noticed. “Hyoyeon, you’re tired.”

“No, I’m not!” Hyoyeon cried defiantly.

“You just yawned,” Eunhyuk scoffed, “And you can’t act like I didn’t see that.”

“No, I should be practicing anyway...” Hyoyeon murmured, rising from her position.

Eunhyuk stretched and grabbed her hand, hauling her back to her spot next to him. “That’s too bad, because I’m not letting you practice.”

“You can’t do that,” Hyoyeon grunted, as she struggled to break herself free from Eunhyuk’s immensely strong grip.

“You’re not getting away from me,” Eunhyuk declared gleefully, grinning at Hyoyeon’s endearing attempt to get her hand back.

“Why are you so strong?” she groaned, now laying face-down on the floor.

“I work out a little.”

“Shut up, Hyukjae.”

Eunhyuk loosened his grip on her hand. “Who said you could call me that?”

“I’ve known you for how many years now?” Hyoyeon replied, her voice muffled against the floor. “I think I have the right to call you Hyukjae.”

Eunhyuk huffed, unable to argue against her. He watched her eyes close on the hard floor, and without a doubt, she was getting tired. Hyoyeon was a stubborn girl and didn’t like to admit these things, but she didn’t have to. Eunhyuk knew.

“You’re tired.”

“...Am not.”

Eunhyuk bent down next to her and poked her shoulder. “Are too.”

“No,” she replied, eyes still closed.

“The floor isn’t even comfortable,” Eunhyuk frowned deeply, changing the subject.

“I’m tired, okay?” Hyoyeon blurted out.

“I knew it.”

Hyoyeon laughed a little and flipped herself around so that she was staring up at the ceiling, rather than at the floor. Eunhyuk bit his lip, wanting desperately to tell her that she could sleep on his shoulder or something. Her discomfort bothered him, pestered him. He needed to make sure she was always treated like a queen. Queens didn’t sleep on floors.

“Eunhyuk, what are you thinking about?” Hyoyeon inquired, looking straight up at him.

“Things,” Eunhyuk answered, a little too quickly.

Hyoyeon narrowed her eyebrows suspiciously. “What things?”

“Just things.”

“Tell me,” Hyoyeon demanded, interested.

“It’s nothing important,” Eunhyuk insisted, trying to dissuade her.

“If it’s not important, you wouldn’t keep it to yourself.”

Eunhyuk sighed internally. Why did he constantly start these arguments with her? They went nowhere, and frankly, he never won.

“Hm...You’re thinking about a girl.”

Eunhyuk gaped at Hyoyeon who simply smiled all-knowingly up at him. “You make things so obvious. That’s the thing about you; your face can never hide what you’re feeling.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“Sometimes, but other times,” Hyoyeon sat straight up, and as she spoke, Eunhyuk could feel her breath on him, “It’s a good thing.”

“Ah...” Eunhyuk trailed off, staring at his reflection in her deep eyes.

“It just depends on how you look at it,” Hyoyeon concluded, getting to her feet.

Eunhyuk just nodded. “I think I’ll just head home now. Are you coming?”

“Sure, I guess,” Hyoyeon glanced around the room once more, before following Eunhyuk closely behind.

Eunhyuk turned the metal handle of the door. The door rattled, but wouldn’t open. Confused, he attempted to open the door again and again, each time, failing. Hyoyeon moved him aside lightly and took a stab at the door.

Nothing.

“Did someone lock us in?” Eunhyuk wondered aloud, frowning.

Hyoyeon moved to the windows and peered outside. Her eyes popped and she motioned for Eunhyuk to join her. The two of them scrutinized the outside world. The sky was pitch-black, but lit up with a bolt of blue lightning every now and then. The streets were deserted--no people, no cars, and every single building’s windows were out, almost in a kind of ominous way.

“Power outage?” Hyoyeon guessed.

“Probably,” Eunhyuk agreed. “The door probably locked automatically then.”

“Yeah, that’s it,” Hyoyeon murmured, rubbing her hands over her arms.

“Are you cold?” Eunhyuk smiled lightly.

“No,” Hyoyeon lied and slid down the wall to rest her sore body on the floor.

Eunhyuk moved subtly to sit next to her. Their arms touched and Eunhyuk flinched. Hyoyeon’s skin was as cold as ice, contrasting greatly with the warmth he himself radiated. Feeling oddly bold for some reason, Eunhyuk took her hands in his.

“Here.”

Hyoyeon leaned into him naturally; her head snuggled perfectly on Eunhyuk’s shoulder.

Right where it should always be...

“Thanks, Hyukjae,” Hyoyeon mumbled, her voice barely a whisper.

Eunhyuk hesitated, smiling a bit, hearing his real name escape the lips of the blonde girl. “Don’t mention it.”

Hyoyeon said nothing else.

“It’s what friends do,” he added softly.

He then realized that Hyoyeon’s eyelids were closed.

She looks so peaceful and calm...

Eunhyuk eyed the door warily as big sheets of rain slapped against the windows, creating a kind of beat, almost. He had this bizarre notion in head. No, it wasn’t a notion, he told himself. It was more of a sense of foreboding, that something was not right.

It’s nothing, Eunhyuk shrugged off.

-----

Leeteuk raced out of the van with such haste that the manager shouted after him to slow down, or he would slip and fall on the numerous puddles. The leader ignored the warning and merely ran faster, quickly pulling up his hood and saying a word of thanks.

“When should I pick you up, Leeteuk?” the manager screamed.

“I’ll call you,” Leeteuk responded, straining his voice while sprinting up to the doors of his entertainment company.

Unlocked, Leeteuk whispered to himself, mystified. It struck him as odd. Normally, you would need a key card of some sort to get in. Or the master keys, but only one man possessed those. He went ahead in anyway, making sure his steps were muffled and small. Leeteuk rounded corners and tiptoed stealthily down hallways, his heart pounding rapidly in his chest all the while.

The door to one of the recording studios creaked open and Leeteuk froze in place, like a perfect stone statue.

“Leeteuk?”

The leader of Super Junior breathed a huge sigh of relief, once he heard that sweet, melodic voice. “Oh, Taeyeonnie!”

Taeyeon smiled at his nickname for her and continued beaming, until he ruffled her disheveled hair, making it even messier.

“Okay, okay, hey, stop!” she whined, smacking his hands away.

Leeteuk laughed as she smoothed her hair out, in an attempt to restore it to its former beauty.

“Have you seen Eunhyuk?” Leeteuk asked at once, growing solemn.

Taeyeon shifted her weight to her other foot and dropped her hands to her side, shaking her head slowly. “No, I didn’t even know he was here. Why? What’s wrong?”

“We all need to get out of here, now.” Leeteuk grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and began pulling her along in the direction of the practice rooms.

“Wait, what’s going on here?” Taeyeon demanded, using all her force to wrench away from his strong grip.

“I-It’s not safe here,” Leeteuk breathed out, his voice wavering.

Taeyeon narrowed her eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

Suddenly, the lights overhead began flickering. Light to darkness, light to darkness. In a matter of seconds, the entire hallway was flooded with complete darkness. Leeteuk felt a figure cling to his arm and stepped back abruptly, feeling the person almost topple on top of him.

He paused and asked in the softest voice he could manage, “Taeyeon?”

Leeteuk waited an agonizing eternity for a response. A long, frightening moment of silence filled the gap, his breath hitched in his throat.

“Yes, it’s me. What were you saying?” Leeteuk noticed her voice shaking as she spoke and instantly put a comforting arm around her.

“I guess the power’s gone out everywhere in Seoul now because of the storm. That’s not the point though. When I got home, I managed to catch a glimpse of the news.”

“And?” Taeyeon urged.

Leeteuk swallowed a large lump in his throat. “There’s a man...”

“Just spit it out already,” Taeyeon pleaded with a small whimper.

“He’s an escaped psychotic murderer,” Leeteuk paused to take a breath, “And he was spotted about half an hour ago. I’m not sure how reliable the media is, but he’s already killed a child, the one who saw him.”

Taeyeon coughed, which sounded like she was being strangled or choked. “C-Continue...”

“The place he was seen after his escape is only a few minutes from the building we’re standing in right now, Taeyeon.”

“What if he’s not here?” Taeyeon shot back quickly, trying to push away the reality of her fears.

“And what if he is?” Leeteuk muttered in a low rumble.

With a shaking hand, he pulled his cell phone out of his sweatshirt pocket and clicked a button, diffusing a bit of white light a few feet ahead of them. His clutch on Taeyeon tightened considerably as they began to move forward together, towards the practice rooms. Their steps were muffled now from the roars of thunder outside, growing louder by the minute. Leeteuk held his phone higher in the air and noticed they were outside Lee Soo-man’s office.

“Did we go the wrong way?” Taeyeon whispered.

“I guess,” Leeteuk answered, unsure himself. “Let’s turn around and--”

A loud crash shattered the two leaders’ eardrums and Taeyeon clamped a hand over to prevent her high-pitched screams from escaping. Leeteuk shut his eyes tight, imagining the worst, but hoping for the best.

Would there be a best?

“That sounded like it came from--”

“The opposite side of the building, the practice rooms,” Leeteuk finished Taeyeon’s statement. “We have to get over there.”

“Oh my god, I just remembered,” Taeyeon began breathing rapidly, almost hyperventilating, “Hyoyeon, she’s here.”

“She might be with Eunhyuk, come on!” Leeteuk cried out softly.

They ran along down the corridors, their only light source a cell phone, as the storm raged on, louder than ever. Panic raced through both of their minds, worry was etched on their hearts, and fear was evident on their faces as they sprinted faster, harder, and with more urgency than ever before in their lives.

Leeteuk’s phone suddenly out and they were drowned in darkness once more. Taeyeon drew herself closer to him. “Your phone!”

“It’s okay; I know the way by heart. We’re almost there.”

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon asked nervously.

“I’m positive. The hallway with the practice rooms is just a few more turns,” Leeteuk panted, “It’s just down he--”

An ear-splitting boom of thunder cut off the rest of Leeteuk’s sentence. The firm grip Taeyeon had on him went slack and Leeteuk froze in his run. “Taeyeon? Did you fall?!”

When he didn’t hear a response right away, he dropped on his knees and felt around on the ground around him. “Taeyeon? Where are you? Taeyeon!”

A bolt of vivid blue lightning flashed through a nearby window, and in that brief moment, crimson red was reflected in his eyes. In that few seconds, he saw a bloodied Taeyeon lying lifelessly in front of him and a figure donned in all black disappearing smoothly around the corner.

The only sound able to be heard above the thunderous rain was the faint sobs of one leader.

-----

“Guess we can’t really go home now,” Eunhyuk sighed, peering out the windows dejectedly.

“I called Taeyeon, since she’s here, but she didn’t pick up.” Hyoyeon frowned.

“What was she doing?”

“Just recording some things,” Hyoyeon shrugged, not knowing for certain. “She should have been done by now though...”

“Maybe she’s ad-libbing so powerfully that she can’t hear her phone go off,” Eunhyuk grinned.

Hyoyeon snorted, but smiled too. “You’re such a dork."

“But you don’t care,” Eunhyuk was still grinning at the window.

“Your dorkiness amuses me, of course I wouldn’t care.” Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out.

“You’re not bad yourself,” Eunhyuk grinned with his gums again.

Hyoyeon glanced over at the door randomly and noticed the door's handle being turned left then right, like someone was trying to get in. She blinked, confused and stood up to join Eunhyuk by the window. “E-Eunhyuk, who’s that?”

“Taeyeon?” Eunhyuk presumed, knowing deep down that that couldn’t have been Taeyeon.

“Who’s there?” Hyoyeon called out, as the figure behind the door pounded on it stridently.

The rattling of the door's handle stopped and Hyoyeon could only take a few steps forward before a pair of arms grabbed her around the waist, pulling her back forcefully.

“Don’t open the door!” Eunhyuk yelled in a whisper.

“And why not?” Hyoyeon inquired, putting a hand on her hip.

“Are you stupid? It’s obviously not anyone we know! And why is it suddenly unlocked?” Eunhyuk reasoned as fretfulness for Hyoyeon spread all over his features.

“You don’t know that,” Hyoyeon poked him in the chest, annoyed.

She headed for the door yet again, but Eunhyuk beat her to it and stood with his back against the door. “You’re not opening this door, Hyo.”

“Why are you so paranoid?” Hyoyeon snapped.

“I’m not paranoid; I’m worried for your safety!” Eunhyuk said desperately.

As he said this, the pair noticed the rain alleviating considerably. Hyoyeon huffed. “See, we can probably go home now, since it’s not raining as heavily.”

“No.”

“Please move,” Hyoyeon said trying to push Eunhyuk aside.

Not budging a bit, Eunhyuk said, “I don’t want you getting hurt!”

“What’s gonna hurt me?” Hyoyeon retorted.

“Whatever’s behind this door!” Eunhyuk shouted, grabbing the handle and yanking it open.

“Wait, no!” Hyoyeon cried.

Nothing.

Eunhyuk poked his head out into the hallway curiously. He looked the left and saw blackness. Glancing to the right, he spotted an odd silver gleam. Eunhyuk’s eyes traveled upwards and he saw a bloody red mouth and cold, dark pupils. The figure loomed over Eunhyuk and chuckled maliciously, saying no words.

Blood spurted from his arm, then his chest, then his forehead. The murderer continuously stabbed Eunhyuk, and his eerie grin grew wider, in pleasure at the sight of torture.

The rain was a peaceful pitter-patter now, as one final rumble of thunder faded into the sky. Sirens wailed in the distance and the killer vanished, the only proof he was ever here, the knife in one boy’s heart.

A girl’s hopeless cries of despair now reverberated around the blood-spattered room, as the storm came to a sober close.


I am never writing horror ever again. I'm sticking to my fluffy romance and comedy.