7.7

Care Taking

“Happy Weekend.”

 

Jaehwan says as he opens the door for Sanghyuk. It's Friday night after a long work week. It's finally the start of two and a half days of corporate-free worries. Sanghyuk walks through the door, arms filled with grocery bags. The younger drew the unfortunate short straw, deeming him the one to stop at the grocery store on the way home from work. Oh well. What's another hour until the worry-free weekend?

 

“Yes, happy weekend. Finally.”

 

Jaehwan has Minki on his hip, taking one of the heavier bags from Sanghyuk with his free hand. Minki claps when Sanghyuk leans down to kiss his cheek. The minute his lips connect with the tiny cheek any worries threatening to stay with him until the work week are extinguished. Jaehwan helps unpack the groceries as much as he can with one arm, but ends up being more in the way than helpful.

 

“Get out of here,” Sanghyuk laughs when Jaehwan's wrist gets wrapped around an empty grocery bag.

 

“Pizza is on it's way.”

 

“Great, you get a movie?”

 

“In queue.”

 

“Awesome,” Sanghyuk loves Friday nights. It's probably his favorite day of the week. Minki is usually a little calmer, glad to have his parents home after a day with the babysitter. Saturday is usually spent doing chores or appointments with Minki and Sunday is spent putting on a happy face with families. If you ask Sanghyuk, working an eight hour day is a lot easier than spending more than two hours with the in-laws. And Sanghyuk will take, let's be honest, about 4 hours of mental labor over any amount of physical labor. Just more worries for Sanghyuk. Weekend worries.

 

The best part of the weekend is never leaving Minki or Jaehwan's side. If his lips meeting Minki's cheek extinguished his work worries, his lips against Jaehwan's lips melt away any weekend worries trying to prematurely enter his mind. Sanghyuk has one night to worry about absolutely nothing.

 

Some might argue that his life should be one big ball of worry, what with an infant child, their marriage life still in it's newlywed stages, careers still early. But when Sanghyuk watches Jaehwan answer the door with a now crying Minki in hand, searching for enough money to tip the delivery boy, Sanghyuk sees nothing but paradise.

 

Sanghyuk never thought he'd be able to call himself a father. Really, he never thought about being a husband, either. Sure, he imagined kids and wedding bells in his future, but his future had snuck up on him rather quickly. When he watched Jaehwan's graduation Jaehwan's mother reminded him that in two years he'd be the one walking in a cap and gown. At Jaehwan's graduation party he remembers watching all of Jaehwan's friends and family coming up to them, asking what their plans were. Although they weren't asking about Sanghyuk and Jaehwan's plans. They were asking about Jaehwan's plans. Only Jaehwan.

 

It was like two years meant nothing to anyone. And when Jaehwan could list his plans at the drop of a pin it concerned Sanghyuk that his name wasn't a part of the list. By the end of the party Sanghyuk had given up trying to listen for his name in Jaehwan's monologue. By the end of the party he was replacing his worries with the foam at the bottom of the keg with Hongbin.

 

Before that, when Hakyeon stopped by it was worse. Sanghyuk still kept up with Jaehwan, mingling with everyone at the party. When Hakyeon heard Jaehwan's speech his response was towards Jaehwan, but his eyes stayed on Sanghyuk.

 

“Ohhh, that's cool Jaehwan, sounds like a great plan.” While Hakyeon sounded excited for Jaehwan his eyes were sad for Sanghyuk.

 

When Hakyeon left he gave Sanghyuk a long hug, told him 'everything will be alright' and left. Left Sanghyuk to think. To rethink about his future.

 

Then when Hongbin finally stopped by Sanghyuk was enlightened.

 

“Whenever something like this happens it gives someone an out. High school sweethearts that thought they were going to be together forever suddenly notice another opportunity they never had before. One might already be thinking it. They'll wait until graduation and get out as soon as they can. They''ll use the excuse, well we're at different points in our lives. You're going this way and I'm going that way. You'll sit there, alone and confused, and think to yourself; what the just happened? You give all of yourself to a relationship thinking that person is all in, too and then once there's one small change, another option to take, BAM, he takes it. Sure he'll blame the distance, or the stress of something new, but really that prick has known all along that it wouldn't last, but hey, it was fun while it lasted, right? Who cares about your emotions. It was all about them the whole time. It was for you and it was for them.”

 

Sanghyuk didn't know at the time that most of that was Hongbin's bitterness talking, but it didn't matter. Sanghyuk was officially scared less.

 

At that time Sanghyuk wasn't close with Wonsik or Taekwoon. The only thing he knew about them were that they were Jaehwan's old high school friends. The two had just moved into a new place and started their own business in Seoul. Jaehwan had mentioned the two before, and even gone out for a drink with them, but it had been a while. Their business had finally taken off, weekends being their busiest time. Hence their late arrival.

 

By the time Sanghyuk heard their voices he realized Hongbin must have left him. Or maybe he left Hongbin? He was back at the dorm he and Jaehwan shared on campus. Jaehwan must have put him in his pajamas and tucked him into their bed. But he could hear Jaehwan talking with Taekwoon and Wonsik in their kitchen.

 

“Mr. Grown-Up, how does it feel?”

 

“Great to finally be free!”

 

“I wouldn't call it freedom.”

 

“Just let me believe for tonight, okay?”

 

“Fair enough.”

 

Glasses clink.

 

“So what's next.”

 

“Well, I'll be sending out my resume to a few companies, there are a few that I've been researching that seem promising. Once I find the job then I need to find a place to live and I guess I'll go from there! I'd like to live a little closer to the working district so I can walk or take the subway to work. That's always been my dream, having a subway pass.”

 

“You're seriously so lame.”

 

Sanghyuk wanted to jump out of bed and let Jaehwan have it. What about him? What about them? Hell, they were already living together. So what if it's in the campus dorm rooms and they have to call each other roommates, that still counts, right?

 

“And what about Sanghyuk?”

 

Sanghyuk wishes he could remember who's voice it was that asked the question. Sometimes when he thinks about it he can hear Taekwoon's soft voice, other times he hears Wonsik's low tone.

 

The long pause scared whatever that was left from Hongbin's horror earlier out of him.

 

“What about him?”

 

“Have you talked about it with him?”

 

Sigh. “Sanghyuk is young.”

 

What was that supposed to mean? He was only two years away from graduating. Then he'll be on an even playing field. Age isn't so much of an issue when you're in the real world. There's no graduation from your day job. Sure, promotions, but that doesn't always mean a change.

 

“I just don't want to scare him away or make him think he's stuck.”

 

“I'm surprised he's been with you this long.”

 

“Wow, mean.”

 

“You're right, though, he is young, he can still use the excuse young and stupid.”

 

“Yah! Is that any way to talk to your hyung?”

 

“Scare him away, though?”

 

“Yeah, hyung, what do you mean by scare him away?”

 

For a second Sanghyuk thought he was found out. Sanghyuk remembers almost passing out from holding his breath so long. He felt bad for eavesdropping on them, but he was about to get his answers to the questions that have been running through his mind all day.

 

Finally Jaehwan spoke up.

 

“I bought a ring.”

 

That was almost four years ago. Since then their lives have dramatically changed. Jaehwan landed a job, Sanghyuk graduated and found a job, knots were tied, and Minki was born. Oh, and don't worry, Sanghyuk beat the crap out of Hongbin.

 

“I love the weekend.” Sanghyuk says, ripping a breadstick into bite-sized Minki pieces, “there's no meetings, no deadlines, no worries.”

 

Even thinking about the worries he had about Jaehwan make him laugh. Jaehwan has always been the diffuser of his worries. Never the cause. If anything, that pesky friend Hongbin is usually behind some worry of his.

 

Hongbin told him the horror story at Jaehwan's graduation, told him a horror story about bachelor parties, about life after marriage, about adoption, about raising a child.

 

Any time Sanghyuk's head has been filled with Hongbin's horror stories Jaehwan has been the aspirin to alleviate his headache.

 

Maybe it's because Jaehwan is never worried about anything. When Minki was crying and the delivery boy tapping his foot, waiting impatiently for his tip Jaehwan kept a smile on his face. By the end of the exchange he had Minki squealing with laughter and the delivery fighting back a squeal of his own. He could have the biggest meeting of his life, Minki throwing up at the babysitter's, Sanghyuk stuck on the subway, and both Sanghyuk and his own parents wanting to visit for the weekend and Jaehwan would still have that smile on his face.

 

“Hyukkie, I'm worried.”

 

Sanghyuk chokes on his pizza and Minki casts a worried look at both fathers. Somehow even the baby knows Jaehwan being worried is serious.

 

“You? Worried? About what?”

 

“Hongbin.”

 

“Are you... Hongbin? Why? He's fine! That dumb kid is just dumb is all.” Leave it up to Hongbin to worry his worry-free husband.

 

“I'll make sure to tell your hyung you spoke so highly of him.” Jaehwan is still smiling, but his eyes definitely give away his worry. “That's your senior, you know.”

 

“Doesn't feel like it.” Sanghyuk mutters under his breath. Does he have to beat Hongbin up again?

 

“I'm worried about Hakyeon, too.”

 

“Hakyeon? Why Hakyeon?”

 

Hongbin and Hakyeon are Sanghyuk's closest friends. He met the two when Sanghyuk originally enrolled in the art school at the university. Even when he switched schools the three kept in touch. Sanghyuk had no fear that the two would love Jaehwan. What's not to love?

 

“Well, you know the wedding Hongbin is shooting for this weekend?”

 

“Yeah? He's taking Hakyeon to make up for the whole Skip incident. I think he's really taking him so he has help with all of his equipment.” Sanghyuk starts to clear the table. Minki is asleep at the table, piece of breadstick still in his tiny hand.

 

“Hakyeon likes dressing up and looking nice.” Since when is Jaehwan team Hongbin? Sticking up for the silly bowl-cut boy's lame attempt to 'make it up to his favorite hyung'.

 

“He likes meeting people.” Sanghyuk gets to the real reason.

 

“Now, Hyukkie, don't make it sound so... scandalous.” Jaehwan flattens the pizza box and folds it. He fake shivers and sends Sanghyuk a wink.

 

“That's not what I meant. You're worried because they're going to a wedding?”

 

“I'm worried because Wonsik and Taekwoon will be there.”

 

AN: Probably one more will do it, folks.