Your 24/7 Bandaid, Your Oppa Forever

Your 24/7 Bandaid, Your Oppa

I just wish we could be together, just like how we used to, just the two of us.
 
With me, protecting you and loving you with all my heart.
 
With you, only sticking to me and only giving your hugs, smiles and heart to me.
 
Those were the days where you were mine, and I was yours.
 
I was dressed in a black tuxedo now, going down the aisle with your hand in mine, as flower petals showered us. My face plastered into a smile, while my eyes welled up in tears. I took a glance at you and also realised that you were trying to hold back your tears. However, you were smiling blissfully, happier than anybody on Earth. Those, were tears of joy.
 
With each pace, we were approaching the end of the aisle. And with each pace, memories of us went past my head. It went past swiftly, but the details of the memories remained vivid.
 
We were still in kindergarten then. Your hair was tied up in two ponytails, one at each side of your head, as I watched you play happily in the playground. Hearing your laughter, I smiled and my gaze shifted back to my book.
 
Not long after I heard your laughter from the playground, I heard your sobs approaching me.
"Doojoon Oppa! Yoseob Oppa bullied me!" You ran towards me as you wept. Being the protective best friend I was, I signalled Yoseob to come.
 
"Shh...it's nothing Yoohye ah...don't cry anymore. If you cry further, you'll never be a princess." I comforted you with my most soothing voice, as you quickly dried your tears with my handkerchief that I put in your small hands.
 
Sensing the intimidating aura surrounding me, Yoseob walked over, with fear spelled out on his chubby face.
 
" Hyung! I didn't mean to do that....I j-just wanted to tease Yoohye!! I'm s-sorry hyung!" The little fella apologised, as tears started to pour from his eyes, afraid that I would hurt him.
 
" Yoseob ah...don't cry too! I just wanted you to apologise to Yoohye...besides, you shouldn't do that to girls, you should treat girls nicely." I replied nicely, with a reassuring smile. He stopped crying, but continued to hiccup. Yoseob and you then shook hands with each other and went back to the playground, as I heard your laughter again. This memory faded and I was brought back to the scene in the church.
 
Still walking down the aisle, I saw our high school friends, staring at the gorgeous you in awe. Their faces reminded me of our past once again.
 
We had grown so much since kindergarten. I had grown much taller, much taller than you. We no longer played at playgrounds. We'd spend most of our time in school, finishing homework or attending club meetings.
 
" Yoohye ah, you done yet?" I spoke, as I looked over to you, as you were scribbling down your essay on the paper.
 
" Anniyo, not yet. Doojoon Oppa! It's Friday today! Should we go for a movie to tonight at my house?" You looked at me, with excitement gleaming in your eyes. I smiled at you, and gave a nod. You clapped your hands and finished your last page of the essay, before going to the teacher's room to pass it up.
 
Before you know it, I was sitting in front of the television, with you beside me, lying on my shoulder. We shared a bucket of popcorn, and munched on it throughout the movie.
 
" Doojoon Oppa! Say ahhh...." You held onto the popcorn as you commanded me to open my mouth. I opened my mouth willingly, and the popcorn that you held onto entered my mouth, bit by bit. You giggled as you filled my mouth with popcorn. I grinned as I pinched your nose and gave a small laugh. The laughter died down after sometime, and your head fell back onto my shoulder.
 
" Doojoon Oppa...I wish we could stay like this forever, just you and me. Thanks for being with me since the day when we were still kids. We'll be together forever right?" You asked.
 
" Of course, I'm your Doojoon Oppa, the Doojoon Oppa that will protect you forever, the only Oppa that will be there for you anytime." I replied, as I thought about the impossible separation between us.
 
I reminisced this memory of us which soon ended. This piece of memory was the best I had, and the one I will remember forever.
 
You and I were currently more than halfway down the aisle already. Getting closer to the end, a face that was blurred at the start of the aisle became clearer, triggering more tears that welled up in my eyes.
 
After high school was college. Where romance came into the story. The feeling of romance bloomed among every college student. You and I entered this stage, still together, your hand in mine. School life was much busier and we didn't have the same lessons together anymore. Movie watching time with you decreased drastically. Fortunately, having a chat with you everyday was still possible.
 
Feelings started to develop in my heart for you. Every smile you flashed and every hug you gave me sent tingling sensations in my body. I turned pink everytime you whispered into my ear. Time spent with you only made my feelings for you stronger. But things weren't going to stay the same...
 
" Doojoon Oppa! You know what? Remember about the Junhyung guy that I talked to you about? He asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes!" You expressed your happiness and pounced on me, giving me a tight hug.
 
I remained stiff, not knowing what to say. My heart broke into pieces, and the cracking sound of my broken heart was only audible to me.
 
You were obviously oblivious to my feelings.
 
" Th-that's j-just....great." Those words croaked out of my mouth.
 
" I'm going to meet him now, got to go!" You exclaimed jubilantly, as I watched your figure disappear from my sight.
 
A tear slipped down my cheeks, hitting the floor harshly. Didn't you say you hoped to be with me forever? My body felt weak. My eyes didn't blink, but the tears kept flowing out. My arms stayed at its position, unable to move. Why did it have to be now?
 
I did have a tint of hope that you would still come back to my arms, and that day did come, but it lasted for a while.
 
A taller and prettier you sat beside me, with your swollen eyes looking at me.
 
" Doojoon Oppa, I quarrelled with Junhyung Oppa.....I don't like him anymore!" You bawled.
 
" Hush....Yoohye ah. Doojoon Oppa is here for you. I'll be here forever, beside you when you need me." I said truthfully.
 
" Everything with Junhyung will be resolved, don't worry. You're too precious to be lost by him. He'll come back to you." I continued, with my heart thinking otherwise. To be frank, I wished Junhyung could just leave you, and I could be the one that you gave your heart to.
 
Well, eventually, Junhyung came back for you, and both of you were back together, more in love with each other than ever.
 
My life had less of you in it from then on. It made me an ice prince that didn't laugh and smile in front of others. The only reason I laughed and smiled was because of you, and now, I've lost that reason.
 
" Doojoon Oppa! Junhyung Oppa proposed to me! And guess what? You'll be the one holding my hand down the aisle! I told umma and appa already. They agreed to let you lead me down the aisle!!!!" You said, cheerfully.
 
You were still oblivious how much I yearned to make you mine. And guess what, the game's over for me. You won't be mine anymore.
 
" A-ah...o-okay, a-anything for my little princess," I agreed, as my heart squeezed, causing a lump in my throat to form. I ruffled your hair for the last time that night.
 
" Oppa! I'm not a kid anymore!" You replied, as you started to straighten out your hair.
 
Ah right, I forgot. Times had changed. We were no longer kids anymore. What you've said made me face the harsh reality that I was close to losing you.
 
It looks like I was the only one was sentimental all along.
 
In a matter of days, you will belong to Junhyung Oppa, not me. I will only be a part of your life, an Oppa that you once had. The Oppa that you will use past tense to talk about.
 
I finally gave up holding back my tears. A tear trickled down my cheek, and I smiled wider, concealing the sorrow hidden within me. We have finally reached the end of the aisle, which concluded my trip with you down our memory lane. I looked at the clear face of Junhyung, which turned blur soon due to my active tear glands and heart that was filled with sadness.
 
I looked at you, as I placed both my hands on yours, giving your hands a last squeeze. I smiled happily, with my insides burning in pain.
 
" Junhyung-sshi, please take good care of Yoohye." I said, lifting your hands and placing your hands onto Junhyung's, although I didn't want to.
 
I retreated from the aisle, and sank onto the bench in the church.
 
" I officially announce Yong Junhyung and Lee Yoohye as husband and wife." the priest announced loudly, after both of you exchanged vows.
 
I was still smiling, comforting myself at the same time.
 
So, this was how you and me ended huh? I thought you hoped to be with me forever. All those sacrifices I made, the time I dedicated to you, all the love I gave you, was up to someone else to give now.
 
My job was done, or to put it in another way, taken away by another Oppa already.
 
If only I was the one you were kissing now. If only....
 
I love you, my Yoohye ah.
 
Remember this Doojoon Oppa you had. Remember that he'll always be here for you, through the tough times you'll face. He'll heal you like a band aid, and prevent you from getting scarred.
 
"Yoohye ah, I wish that you'll live a happy marriage life, that will last eternally." I thought sincerely.
 
It's goodbye for now, my Yoohye. Please think of Oppa at least every week or every now and then.
 
The ceremony was over now. I turned my head from the church, and walked out of the church with a heavy heart.
 
The next few days was tough for me. I roamed around streets like a drunkard, with an unclear mind.
 
" Hey, you dropped something," an unfamiliar voice said, as someone tapped me on my shoulder.
 
I turned around. My eyes met hers, and my heart palpitated faster than ever.
 
She picked up my keys, and put it in my hands.
 
" Thanks, my name is Doojoon, what's yours?"
 
She gave me a smile and replied.
 
And things changed for the better for me.