Chrysanthemum I

Flower Boys

 

 

 

Chrysanthemum
Yugyeom's birth flower
Flower meaning: Friendship

 


 

"Jackson are you sure this is a good idea? Jae Bum's not gonna like this".  

Yugyeom shifted the crate that he was cradling in his arms, balancing the flashlight that was edged precariously between his chin and his shoulder. This wasn't exactly Yugyeom's idea of fun.

Jackson was busying himself with something on the ground.

 "Shine the flashlight properly!" Jackson ordered. He was currently wrestling with a plastic flower pot filled with fuchsia petunias.

Yugyeom sighed and placed the crate on the ground.

"Yugyeom, how many times did I tell you, 'be careful with the flowers'?" Jackson turned to Yugyeom, his eyes furrowed with frustration.

Raising his flashlight, Yugyeom knelt on the ground and inspected the pink flower Jackson was referring to. After a long bout of silence, he finally located the problem: A tiny rip on the side of the petal.

"Come on you can't be serious"

"I've never been more serious in my life" Jackson scowled.

Jackson cradled the flower pot in his arms like a new born. "Isn't that right baby? Don't worry, big scary Yugyeom won't hurt you anymore. daddy has you now" 

Yugyeom rolled his eyes at Jackson making kissing noises at the petunia. 

Today was Yugyeom's first day-well, night- as a new member of  Jackson's gardening club, and he was already starting to regret it. ship wasn't exactly voluntary. He was "recruited" as Jackson liked to call it. But Yugyeom knew that what "recruited" really meant was "kidnapped". 

Yugyeom's "recruitment" meant that there were officially two people in the club : Himself and Jackson.

Yugyeom pointed his flashlight towards the soil where Jackson was digging.  

"We should head back soon" 

It was 10pm on a Sunday night. They had school tomorrow.

Yugyeom had asked Jackson about his obsession with gardening before, but he always got a vague half-answer, half-regurgitation of the gardening club mission statement.

The Gardening club's mission statement was "to beautify our campus and our lives" which was, Yugyeom acknowledged, rather eloquent coming from Jackson. 

The only problem was the gardening club wasn't exactly a club. Thanks to the disciplinary committee and its penchant for complicated rules, clubs now needed to have a minimum of 7 people to be recognized by the school. So whatever night-gardening they were doing wasn't exactly sanctioned by the administration.

"Can't you just get 5 more people to join, so we can actually get funding?"

The perks of being a sanctioned club included monthly funds, an advisor, and space to hold meetings.

Jackson patted the last petunia in the ground before standing up and wiping his brow. "If I could get 5 more people, I would have already done it by now."

Yugyeom nodded absently. It wasn't exactly like people were banging down doors to join the gardening club. "Hm... People are afraid of getting in trouble, I guess" 

Truthfully, Yugyeom was afraid of getting in trouble as well. The last time Jackson pulled a stunt like his he was suspended from the school grounds for a week.

But Yugyeom promised he would join, especially after what happened that day. Yugyeom planned to keep that promise, no matter how boring gardening was.