two

Healing Touch

Two

 

Kyungsoo finds the soft crisp sound of the grass he makes underneath his shoes is oddly helping him relax. He cannot ease away the daunting nerves in him ever since he left his mother in the hands of some buff looking men. He clearly remember her crying hysterically when he told him that he going to try to save the ill King. It took some time to convince his mother and in the end she sadly accepts his decision. He and his mother exchanged hugs and ‘see you soon’ as they both journey to the opposite path.

 

This is the first he have been separated from his mom this far. Since his powers are kept hidden from the eyes of the public, Kyungsoo doesn’t go out too much. The only reason for him to go out is to buy things needed in the market or when someone looks for him. And Kyungsoo is a house person, he would rather sleep in the house than go out with friends.  Friends. Kyungsoo have only few friends and they are the children playing in front if their yard.

 

He sighs sadly when he remembered the two twins he played instruments a few days ago. He can still vividly hear their shrieks of laughter ringing in his ears. They are both so adorable and very different to each other. One is shy and the other is noisy. Complete opposites. But despite their difference both siblings seem to get along well. I’m going to miss them.

 

He then focuses his attention on the man and scrutinize him—Kai, who is walking in front of him. He rakes his eyes from head to toe then back to the green grass under him. Kai’s words “I’ll protect you.” Suddenly echoed in his mind then he huffs. Kai isn’t nearly as buff as his other men. How is he going to protect me with those skimpy arms? He asks himself. As they walk further into the forest, he begins to question his action and regret his decision.  Maybe this is a bad idea.

 

He wants to go back. Back to his mother, in their small home with the playing children on the yard, he wants to go back and do his daily house chores, he wants to eat his mother’s special soup that he never can get enough, and he wants to back in those four walls that made him feel safe and comfortable—

 

“Hey shorty look where you’re walking.” Kai tells him. He halts and looks up to see there is no tanned man in front. Kyungsoo slightly panics then looks around and sees him standing two feet behind him. Kai crosses his arms and wore an amused expression on his face.

 

Kyungsoo blushed, feeling extremely embarrassed and stupid for not paying attention and scurries towards Kai.

 

“Why did you not say anything?” he said through his gritted teeth. The wind user laughs and gives him two strong pats on his back. Each pat made him “oomph.”

 

“I did called your name few times little one, but I guess you’re too busy thinking whatever that is in your mind.” Then Kai pokes Kyungsoo’s forehead.

 

“Don’t act like we’ve known each other for years.” Kyungsoo grumbles and slaps Kai’s hand away.

 

Kai smirks. “Feisty.” He comments and leans dangerously close to Kyungsoo’s face, “You should always be on high alert or else the enemy will attack you…”

 

Kyungsoo nods stiffly. Kai is right. He should be alert— always vigilant in his surroundings. There are large group of men of men searching for them. It won’t be soon that he and Kai will have to clash with them. He must be careful for now on.

 

“If not them…” Kai trails off.

 

Kyungsoo frowns. “If not? What?”

 

A playful smirk blooms onto Kai’s lips and drapes an arm around Kyungsoo’s petite shoulders. “Or else, I’ll attack you.”

 

The healer fake gasps and removes the arm on him with a scoff, “Now I’m terrified.”

 

The wind user laughs at his response he got from Kyungsoo and again places his arm on the healer’s shoulders. “Aw, don’t be scared kitty,” he pinched the healer’s cheek and receives a high pitched whine before his hand got slapped away, “You are too adorable for me heh sorry?”

 

Kyungsoo snickered at his words and rolled his eyes, “Well, I am not into flirtatious men.” He then puts the arm on him off him, “Let’s keep walking.”

 

“Hey, how about we rest for a while? You’re legs looks like they’re going to collapse soon.” Kai said and points at Kyungsoo’s legs.

 

“What made you say my lags are tired?” Kyungsoo asks. His legs doesn’t feel tired at all. Because of his power, all kinds of pain immediately disperse. He only experience pain for a moment.

 

“Well they’re frail looking.” Kai said and eyes the healer’s calves.

 

“Stop looking at my calves ert.” And kicks Kai but it was easily dodged. “I am a healer, have you forgotten?”

 

The wind user froze and flush in embarrassment at himself. “How would I know that?!” Kai tells Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo noticed that Kai’s voice got a little pitchy there.

 

“But still you should have guess or got the idea. Last night you barge in my room and made a small cut on my face…” Kyungsoo points and frowns, “which is extremely rude.”

 

Kai scratches the back of his head, “Sorry ‘kay? I just want to make sure you’re the real deal.” He explains.

 

“You could at least cut me on my finger, arms or legs. Not on the face.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, “What am I saying? I should be expecting this from a barbaric man.” He glares at the stranger.

 

Kyungsoo hears him grumble something inaudible and then pouts. “You’re not cute anymore.”

 

“You’re a flirt and stupid.”

 

“I don’t like you anymore.”

 

“Well, I never liked you anyways.” Kyungsoo mentally cheers in triumph when he sees Kai groan in defeat and marches pass by him. Ha-ha! I won!

 

“Since you are not tired, let’s continue walking shall we?” Kai said with a hint of annoyance in his voice. Now, it is Kyungsoo’s turn to laugh at the sulking man and follow his steps

 

Kyungsoo hums happily and forgets his daunting nerves.

 

 

///

 

 

The two travelers are now sitting under the raven sky. Kyungsoo felt relief that his first day in their journey is safe. He stares absentmindedly at the dancing fire in front of him and leans a little to get more heat from it.

 

Both of them stayed quiet after eating fried fish they caught in a river nearby. It was a comfortable silence. But too quiet for Kyungsoo's liking.

 

Unable to bear the silence between them he finally speaks, “So..." He clears his throat. "Are you somewhat a knight of the Highness?" He asks, starting the conversation.

 

Jongin hums, “No," he them stretches his arms and turns to Kyungsoo. "He is a good friend. We are good friends." Jongin smiles. "A brother to me."

 

"Then it must be nice. To be a close friend of the Highness." Kyungsoo comments then hugs his knees.

 

"Nah, it's pretty boring." Kai said as he pick a twig near him and threw it in the fire out of boredom.

 

Kyungsoo raised a brow. "Are you saying that the Highness is bores you?"

 

Kai's eyes widen in surprise and shook his head. "No. I mean back then when we wasn't the king yet it was fun. We are always sneaking around, sword fighting, horse racing and so much more!" the healer can the Kai's eyes twinkling in delight as he told his memories with the Highness.

 

Kai laughs when an old memory popped in his mind. "I remember that we used to bathe in a small river few miles behind the castle. He and I were completely . It was summer and we both hate being baked under the sun! So we fooled around in the river until a small group of woman, who came to fetch water, arrived and start shrieking and faces red as tomato!"

 

Kyungsoo laughs and listens, "I saw him run towards the river bank for his clothes while I stayed back and laugh at our predicament. He was really trying to hide his body from the girls- getting shy and embarrass. Unlike him, I was confident with my body." Kai smirks and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes.

 

"You're shameless."

 

"Thank you."

 

"Of course that didn't go unnoticed to the former King and we got scold for hours! We kind of expected that so we are both fine with it." Kai smiled. "Good times…."

 

"But nothing last forever," Kai visibly slouched. "He is the heir of the throne and eventually he became the new King. He is always busy. So busy that I barely talk with him." He grunts then lays sideward on the ground, facing Kyungsoo.

 

"Then it became very boring. Sometimes I wished he wasn't the King." Kai whispered loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear.

 

"Why?" The healer asks. Getting really immerse in Kai's story.

 

"So I can have my best friend back." Kai said and sighs.

 

Kyungsoo looks at Kai. It was a childish reason but he can clearly hear the sincerity in his voice.

 

"But I can't think of anyone can be suited as King except for him. I know this sound weird but to me, it is like he is destined to be the King. And it’s unfair." Now Kai lays on his back and moves his arm over his eyes. "He is a brilliant, smart, and an amazing King."

 

"When the news of him being severely sick and on the edge of death- I don't know what to do- I was scared- I was desperate-"

 

Kai wasn't able to finish his sentence when he felt a hand covered his mouth.

 

"You don't have to tell me if it makes you sad and upset." Kyungsoo said and move his hand on Kai's other arm. Giving it a gentle squeeze.

 

Despite Kai covering half of his face with his arm, Kyungsoo could still see his in pain. It was then it hit him. Kai loves the King. Kyungsoo is not sure of what type of love he has for the King but its deep enough to cause him pain.

 

"Kai, I swear I'll do everything I can to heal him." Kyungsoo said voice filled with determination and fulfillment.

 

It was quiet for a while not until a small voice said, "Thank you."

 

Kyungsoo smiles and also lies down. This is for the best. He told himself as he tries not to think the worst possible outcome when he will heal the King. Soon.

 

 

A/N: HI GUYS!!!!! I'm sorry for not updating for so long... i was really busy the past months so pls forgive me. i promise to update as fast as i can! i hope you enjoy this update nothing much happen for now just a sneak peak of Kai's background :D have a nice day~ ^^