Chapter 9: At the beginning of infinity

Special Division Infinite

N/A: Hey guys!! It's been a while^^' I'm back with a long update and this time, it's a flashback. Enjoy~ 


 

Two years ago: summer 2013, 11:17 am, 7th office of the Seoul Police Station.

 

 

~°~°~ Sunggyu ~°~°~

 

“Congratulations, Commander Kim Sunggyu, I assign you to this division, the 7th office of the Seoul Police Station.”

 

“Thank you, Sir.”

 

We walked through the doors of the large office and I saw around twenty people busy with different works. No one seemed to care about us until the minister started speaking.

 

“Okay, everyone, I introduce you to the Commander Kim Sunggyu, he is from now on the leader of this 7th division.”

 

Cheerings and clappings could be heard before everyone went back to their initial business and the Minister let me alone. I then scanned the room with my eyes, memorizing the faces of my team mates and after a few more seconds I finally saw those onyx eyes who were starring at me for, apparently, a little while already. Those eyes, I could recorganize them anywhere and in the middle of a thousand people. It was really his eyes. It was through those ones that I could read his every thoughts. Woohyun's eyes. I was really lucky to be assigned to my best friend's division. It would make things much more easier. A slight smile appeared on my lips while I was heading towards him.

 

“Commander Kim Sunggyu. It's an honor to be under your lead, Sir.” He mockingly said when I arrived near him.

 

“Lieutenant Nam Woohyun, I'm happy to have you as my right hand man.” I answered, playing along with him.

 

“And you even make me your right hand man! I'm so touched. I think that I will cry.”

 

We laughed at this childish game before finding back our seriousness.

 

“Finally, after two years in this division, I will be working for someone who is worth it.”

 

“Don't say that, Woohyun. My predecessors were great leaders.”

 

“Maybe, but none of them have your level.”

 

While I was pushing his flatteries back, an officer interrupted us, announcing us my first mission.

 

“Sir, the 3rd division is asking for you downtown as backup.”

 

“Okay, be ready with the others to go in two minutes.”

 

“Yes, Commander!”

 

While everyone was heading downtown, I took place in the same vehicle as Woohyun. He looked at me with a mocking gaze before starting the engine.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. I was just thinking that the other divisions leaders had surely heard about your reputation to ask for your support on your first day with us.”

 

“The leader of this 3rd division should be indeed someone who is really purposeful to trust me.”

 

“Yup. Oh but I'm so stupid! It's normal!”

 

“What?”

 

“The one who is leading the 3rd office of the Seoul Police Station is your brother, so of course he trusts you.”

 

I smiled at this revelation. I had just come back from two stationary years in a military base outside of the country, so I was not really updated with the lives of my two hearted brothers but I was glad to know that I would have the possibility to work with them now. There was nothing better in a team than people who I entirely trusted and in addition to that they were talented with their own skills.

When we arrived in town, we were welcomed by an oppressing tension between the different police patrols. Me and Woohyun went up to the front and we discovered there Myungsoo negociating with a criminal who was holding in hostage Mr. Yoon, CEO of an electronical sociaty, and his daughter. I slowly came closer to my brother and as soon as he saw me, a relieve sigh passed through his lips.

 

“Hyung, I don't know what to do anymore.” He breathed.

 

“What is the situation, Soo?”

 

“This man had completely lost his mind, he is threatening to explode the bomb that he set near the fountain. The remote is in his hand and as you can see it, he also has a gun. Instable as he is right now, I'm afraid about what he can do to the hostages.”

 

“Why the Yoon family in particular?”

 

“I don't know, he doesn't answer to my questions. I tried to come closer but he already hurt Mr. Yoon when I stepped forward.”

 

“It's okay, Soo. Are you still talented with your sniper?”

 

“Of course, how do you think that I made it to the lead of the third division?”

 

“Just to be sur, be ready to shoot at my signal.”

 

“Copy that.”

 

“Nam, go behind and catch the remote as soon as you have the opportunity.”

 

“Got it.”

 

Myungsoo prepared himself to be ready to shoot next to me while Woohyun ran behind the different buildings surrounding us. I took the megaphone which my brother had use a few minutes ago and talked firmly to the suspect.

 

“Let go immediately of the hostages.”

 

“You don't understand! This family ruined my life!”

 

“It's not a reason to set a bomb in the middle of Seoul.”

 

“They have to pay for what they've done! Everyone has to!”

 

He was indeed really instable and incomprehensible above all. We needed to act fast and efficiently.

 

Come on, think about something Sunggyu!!”

 

I decided to put my hand on Myungsoo's shoulder. At any move from me, he would know that he had to take the shot. I saw a shadow passing behind the suspect and immediately knew that Woohyun was in position. It was perfect, we could finally put an end to all of this. I put the micro back in front of my mouth before speaking with a clear and authoritative voice.

 

Don't let your feelings and the stress immerge you. Everything is fine, Soo and Hyun are here with you.”

 

“You're not in a position to negociate. You're totally surrounded and a single shot from the lieutenant Kim will put you down. So obey. Let the hostages go and stop this bomb.”

 

“This bomb can't be stop when it's activated! And you don't understand! They have to pay!”

 

“Let them go and I will listen to your explanations.”

 

“No! I can't! You can't do anything for me!”

 

His mind was totally confused because of the frenzy and the hatred and the way he was moving with the gun, I was worried that a shot could be fired accidently. A slight pressure on Myungsoo's shoulder from me and he understood right away what he had to do.

Charging his sniper, he aimed and fired. A single shot, perfect and accurate. The gun was ejected a few meters behind the suspect and I saw Woohyun taking the opportunity of the general surprise to jump on the criminal. I commanded to my brother to keep his position and to open the fire if it was necessary before running towards my bestfriend in order to help him. He could not in any way push on the button which would start the bomb. Woohyun was struggling the best he could in order to take the remote back while the two hostages, hands and feet bounded, were trying to put some distance between them and the criminal.

So I rushed to them and released them. The moment when I untied Mr. Yoon, Woohyun called for me, the worry behind his voice made me turn to him quickly.

 

“Hyung, I don't know what happened but the bomb … ”

 

When I arrived near him, I froze. Indeed, the bomb had been activated from an unknown way as Woohyun assured me that he had caught the remote before the suspect could press on the mortal button. However, I found my cold head back quickly, I could not let such an explosion happen in the center of the city. I would do everything I could in order to stop it now.

 

“Woohyun, release the girl and take her and Mr. Yoon in a safe place. Tell everyone to back off a maximum and as quick as they can.”

 

“But, and you, hyung?”

 

“Don't worry about me. Just trust me and do as I say.”

 

He nodded and rushed to Mr. Yoon and helped him to free his daughter. I took a deep breath and looked closer at the countdown. There were only two minutes and forty-seven seconds left before it would explode.

 

Okay Sunggyu, it can't be that hard. You've already stopped some bombs on the battlefield, you can easily do it again, right?”

 

A slight doubt immerged in me. I had certainly done it on a battlefield but here, I was in town, with an important nomber of civilians around me. I could not fail. While I was gently removing the metal patch which was hiding the conductor wires of the explosive, I noticed that my hands were slightly shaking. I had to calm down.

Suddenly, a shot, sharp and clean, pulled me out of my thoughts mixed-up with the frustration. I turned around towards the shooter and saw Myungsoo, by Woohyun's side, still holding his smocking gun in his hands. I looked behind my back and saw there, lying in a bloody bath, the suspect's corpse, a knife still in his fist. The coward, he had tried to stab me in the back. Fortunately, Soo was there. I turned back again towards my team mates and I noticed that sparkle in their eyes. A fire that was shining ardently. They trusted me and believed in me. And this sight motivated me back again. I had to stop this bomb.

One minute and fifty-four seconds left. I rummaged through the cables. I had to find the two wires which linked the electrical circuit to the explosive product.

One minute and forty-three seconds left. I finally found them. I pulled my pocket knife out and cut them.

One minute and thirty-three seconds left. I was about to sigh in relief when I realised that the countdown had still not stop.

Panic took me at the throat but I swallowed it the best as I could at that moment. I was so sur that I had cut the right wires. The problem was surely coming from below, from the bottom of the machine. Without wasting another second, I disassembled the bomb until there was only its skeleton in front of me.

Forty-five seconds left. Now, I could discern more easily all of the connexions and then I quickly saw the anormality at the end of the explosive circuit. The different wires were completely interweaved and a mess, in such way that making a difference between the cables to cut was not easy.

Thirty seconds left. I held my breath back and started to untie the knots.

Sixteen seconds left. Finally, I found the two wires that I needed and cut them without an hesitation.

Nine seconds left and everything stopped. I lay down on my back and sighed deeply. It was close.

The stress gone, I got up and made a sign telling that everything was alright and that the bomb was out. An explosion of joy and applauses resounded. I succeed in protecting everyone. Woohyun and Myungsoo joined me for some hugs while the experts were taking the suspect's corpse away. The weight in my guts had been taken off instantly. It was over.

 

After cleaning and leaving the place, we were back to the police station. While Myungsoo and Woohyun were still talking about my first mission as the commander, I surprisigly noticed the presence of the Minister of the Gourvernemental and Interior Administration on the threshold. I made my team mates leave the office in order to welcome the business man as it should be.

 

“Mister the Minister, please, take a seat.”

 

“Thank you, Commander Kim.”

 

“How can I help you, Sir?”

 

“Well, first of all, know that Mr. Yoon has just visited me an hour ago and then, I came directly here after he left me.”

 

“Did something happen to Mr. Yoon?”

 

“No, not at all, you have his congratulations and he is really grateful that you resolved this morning's incident.”

 

“I'm glad that he and his daughter are fine.” I said, relieved.

 

“And I am glad to have you among the police force.”

 

“It's an honor for me, Sir.”

 

“Anyway, I'm not her to talk about life. Mr. Yoon asked me why an elits unit still doesn't exist among the police force and I simply answered that I have never found the right people to compose that team. However, after your, the lieutenant Kim's and Nam's exploit, I'm wondering if I don't already find the right people for this elits group.”

 

“I'm really honored by that but, Sir, isn't there others agents much more skilled than us for this title?”

 

“Indeed, many are talented but only a few can perfectly work in a team like the three of you today and even less have this blinded trust in their team mates.”

 

“I can't accept such an offer while … ”

 

“Come on, Commander Kim, your grade is absolutly outstanding for your young age and I believe in you. I heard a lot about your exploits on the battle field. Don't make me regret my decision. I let you a month to gather a team worth of an elits unit.”

 

“Alright Sir.”

 

“Well, then I will take my leave, Commander Kim. I will transfer you and your team mates in an office exclusively made for your unit. Tell me about all of your requests, I will make sure that you have all of what you need.”

 

“Thank you so much, Mister the Minister.” I exclaimed and bowed respectfully.

 

“Oh yeah and one last thing: as long as you and your team complete your mission, I will let you do whatever you want.”

 

“Understood Sir! I swear on my own life to protect my family, my team mates and all of the citizens from any danger.”

 

“Good. So, I will see you in a month to officialy found your unit. Have a nice day Commander.”

 

“Have a nice day too, Sir.”

 

And then, he left the room as fast as he came in. It was not everyday that the Minister would come to the police office and even less to create an elits unit. I was still surprised by his request when Woohyun and Myungsoo came back in my office.

 

“Are you alright Gyu? What did the Minister want?” Woohyun asked me, worried.

 

“I … Yeah, I'm fine. Even more than that, I guess.”

 

“What did he say?” My brother added.

 

“He … wants to found an elits unit.”

 

“And?” My bestfriend got impatient.

 

“And he entrusted me to the head of this unit.”

 

“That's so amazing!!! I'm so happy for you, hyung!!!” Myungsoo exclaimed

 

“Thanks Soo.” I answered with a smile.

 

“And with who will you work with? Will you be transfered again out of Seoul?” Woohyun went on.

 

“There will be a building exclusively dedicated to this unit here, in Seoul and about my team mates … ”

 

I paused in my sentence in order to observe my two friends. My smile spreaded even more before announcing:

 

“It will be you two.”

 

“What?!” They shouted at the same time.

 

I could not keep my laughter in front of their stunned faces. Learning that I would work with Woohyun this morning was awesome, but now that I had the possibility to team up with the two people in which I trusted the most, it was just perfect.

 

“The Minister gave me a month to form an elits team, ready to serve the city. So I recrute both of you in this unit.”

 

“But hyung, there must be better than us no? I mean, there are so many sunbaes who are waiting for being promoted.”

 

“I know Soo, but I really want the both of you by my side. We know each other since forever and I completely trust you.”

 

We looked at each other and the deal was instantly done.

 

“For nothing in the world I would let such an occasion passing by. I can now keep my promise.” Myungsoo told me, hanging one of his arm around my shoulders.

 

“And me, you know that I will always support you and now, I can watch your back, both of you!” Woohyun retorted, patting my back.

 

“I knew that I can count on you two. Now I have to find some people in order to complete the team.” I sighed.

 

A silent moment passed by while the three of us let ourselves fall on the black couch which was boarding one of the wall of my office. Then suddenly, we stood up at the same time.

 

“I know who! I don't know why I didn't think about him sooner!” Myungsoo exclaimed.

 

“Me too! I'm going right now to get him!” Woohyun excitidely told.

 

“Same for me, see you here later.”

 

And then, each one of us disappeared in a different direction, as fast as lightning.

 

 

~°~°~ Myungsoo ~°~°~

 

When Ms. Lee opened the door, I respectfully smiled to her before entering. She told me that Sungjong was showering but that I could wait for him in his room without any problem. I then headed there and sat on his bed. The bedroom blinds were half closed, immersing the room in a sad darkness. So, I got up in order to open the shutters and aerate the room.

I stayed a few seconds in front of the window, breathing the soft summer breeze. A reflect on my left made me turn to the shelf boarding the entire wall. There, just in the sunlight, picture frames were aligned next to each other, forming a rampart of memories, retracing Sungjong's life. A picture of his parents, their smiles wide, another one of his grandparents and finally, a last one on which were proudly standing Sunggyu-hyung, Woohyun-hyung, Sungjong and myself.

I smiled, thinking back at the day when Mom had insisted for us to pose in the garden. After many protests and many shots, we ended having a pretty good result. Sunggyu-hyung had made this little smirk which only him had the secret, this charismatic and protective aura coming off of him. Woohyun-hyung was hanging around his neck, laughing with a mouth wide opened, his eyes almost disappearing entirely behind all of his joy for life. With his left arm, he had tenderly surrounded Sungjong. Jongie, looking like an angel. I still remembered it like yesterday. I had ruffled his hair at the moment to take the picture and he had simply closed his eyes, his bright smile becoming wider and shining brightly between Woohyun's enthusiasm, Sunggyu's will and me. Me, who treasured those smiles. Me, who would never forget them. I would do anything in order to preserve them.

A bip coming from the computer resounded and pulled me out of my memories. Curious, I sat by the desk and took a quick look at the screen. My breath stopped sharply. My eyes widened and my fists clenched to the point that it could bleed.

 

“Myung-hyung?”

 

I pulled my gaze out of the image on the screen and found Sungjong on the threshold of the room. When he realised what I had just seen, he rushed on his computer in order to shut it down. I hastly stood up and took him by his shoulders.

 

“You promised me, Sungjong!”

 

“Myung … ”

 

“You assured me that you would'nt look for him! That you would only focus on your studies from now on!”

 

“You're hurting me hyung!”

 

I suddenly froze. My nails were gripping his shoulders, almost piercing his skin. My breathing was too fast.

 

“I … I'm sorry, Jongie.” I whispered, stepping back away from him.

 

“I'm sorry Myung-hyung. I know that I promised you that I would'nt look for him but … I can't help myself. Every second ticking by reminds me that he is living a little bit more free, out there. It's not fair. And it's eating me from the inside.”

 

“I know it well, Jongie.”

 

“So let me find him! He doesn't deserve to be free out there!”

 

I sighed. There was definitly nothing that can suppress this determination in his eyes.

 

“What you've just found should be enough, no?”

 

“I have nothing left. By shutting the computer down like this, all the datas that I've just downloaded had been erased. It will take me another two months to find his track back with the equipment that I dispose.”

 

A silence took place while Sungjong turned his computer back on.

 

“What if I give you the opportunity to work with a technology that is more advanced than what you have?”

 

“Myung-hyung, I don't know if you're aware of it but the only computers more competent than mine are the gouvernment's ones.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Then how … ”

 

“Join the elits unit.”

 

“What?”

 

He finally turned his focus on me, eyes wide open with stupor filling them.

 

“Sunggyu-hyung has just been promoted commander of the new elits unit of Seoul and he is recruiting. Join us.”

 

“But … I don't have any training to be a policeman.”

 

“And then what? You're a pur computer genius. You don't need more.”

 

“I … ”

 

“I will recommand you to Sunggyu-hyung. And with all of the technology that you will have access to, no matter which information you're looking for, you will find it easily. You will be able to find the murderer of yours and Woohyun's parents but you won't only stop at that, you will be able to save lives. To save the city. Please, Jongie, the team won't find any programmer as best as you.”

 

Starring at me first with a thunderstruck gaze, he then looked down and seemed to think about what I just said. I knew that I was dangerously playing by suggesting him to find the man who was haunting his nights, for years now. He could very well let me down after having his revenge, but it was not like him. I knew Jongie, he would not let me down.

 

“Well, let's talk to Sunggyu-hyung first. I want to hear him explain all of this elits unit thing himself.”

 

 

~°~°~ Woohyun ~°~°~

 

After leaving the police station, I headed with a joyful step towards my motorcycle which was waiting for me a little bit further. I knew that Myungsoo had run to Sungjong's house. Those two were inseparable. If we met up with one, the other was surely around too. Even when Soo had started his police training, both of them met with each other at noon in order to eat lunch together, to the point where Jongie had become familiar to the office. It was then sure that Myungsoo had gone to convince his hearted brother to join the team. About me, I had another person in my mind.

As I was putting my helmet on, a voice called for me.

 

“Excuse me, are you Lieutenant Nam?”

 

I turned around, surprised by the question and was even more astonished to find myself face to face with Yoon SunHee, Mr. Yoon daughter who I had rescued a few hours before.

 

“Yes, it's me. Miss Yoon, am I right?”

 

“You can call me SunHee. I just wanted to thank you for what you did for my father and I earlier.”

 

“It was my duty. Shouldn't you be at home, safe, and resting?”

 

“It's not in my habit to hide myself. Even if my father's business can upset more than one, it won't stop me to go and thank our hero.”

 

“You're exagerating your words, Miss.” I said, laughing.

 

She laughed too and god, her laughter. So sweet and melodious. Comforting and enchanting. Scintillating, marvelous and just captivating. Yoon SunHee had at that moment bewitched me.

 

“Wonderful.” I whispered without knowing it.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“Oh no, I … nothing, it was nothing.” I hurried to say, laughing nervously.

 

She gently smiled at me, her caramel eyes never leaving mine.

 

“You're so adorable, Lieutenant, when you're blushing.”

 

And as she started to laugh again, I could not hide my embarassement.

 

“It was nice to talk to you, Lieutenant Nam, but I think that I should go. You were about to leave, am I right?”

 

“Oh uhm … yes indeed but first, what about finishing this conversation one of these days around a coffee? I certainly won't let you embarrass me like this without a revenge.”

 

“Hahaha I'm waiting for it then. Goodbye, Lieutenant Nam.”

 

“Woohyun.”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“You can call me Woohyun.”

 

“Well, see you soon Woohyun.”

 

“See you soon SunHee.”

 

Yes, Yoon SunHee just entered in my life and I would certainly not let her go.

 

After this unexpected meeting, I went to the police academy, downtown. There were still a few minutes before noon, and then before the end of classes, I then decided to simply wait in front of the building.

My thoughts slowly drifted to SunHee. Her sparkling eyes, her bright hair and her smile. A pure wonder. A dreamy sigh escaped my lips. How did she do to bewith me so quickly? I did not know her more than that though. As I was about to let my mind wander off even more in the middle of this sweet fantasy, an friendly push brought me back to the reality.

 

“Woohyun-hyung! What were you thinking about for not hearing me shouting your name?”

 

“Sungyeol-ah! Nothing … I was just thinking.”

 

“About a girl, right? Who is she? Is she pretty? Do I know her? Are you two together?”

 

“Argh, you're asking too much! Anyway, I didn't come to talk about that.”

 

“Oh come on! You can tell me, no? We had spend all of those years in the police academy together after all! You know you can trust me and tell me everything!”

 

“I know, I know. We can talk about it at the bar one of these days if you insist so much but right now, there is more important.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Come with me, I will explain on our way.”

 

“But I didn't even eat yet!”

 

“You will eat later.”

 

“But … ”

 

Without waiting for his response, I pulled him to my motorcycle, threw a helmet to him and we were on our way back to the police office.

At the destination, we headed to the lift which would lead us to the floor of Sunggyu-hyung's division.

 

“So, what is it so important for me to skip my lunch?” Sungyeol complained.

 

“Sunggyu-hyung.”

 

“I know that you care a lot about him and that you're ready to give your own life for him but it's not really my case. I need to eat some... ”

 

“He is recruiting for his special division.” I cut him, exasperated.

 

There was a moment of silence before Sungyeol's reaction as he let his emotions explode.

 

“Really?! That's so awesome! I knew he was talented and I knew that it would happen! He is so amazing, it was sure that he would have his own division!”

 

“Sungyeol.” I tried to calm him down.

 

“He will be so incredible with his special unit! Does he already have a name for it? I can find something for him! What about … Eternity?! Na, it doesn't sound that good. He needs something that means that his name will go through the next centuries. He is so fantastic as an agent, the next generations have to remember his name!”

 

“Yeol-ah.” I tried again, for the second time.

 

“Oh, I know! Infinity! That's brilliant, just like hyung, what do you think?”

 

He finally stopped his flood of words in order to look intensely at me, waiting for my opinion. I sighed, just at the time when the doors of the lift opened up to the 7th floor of the Seoul Police station.

 

“I think that you have to calm down first.”

 

“Oh, you don't like Infinity, right? Wait, I will find something else then … ”

 

“Sungyeol-ah, I still didn't finish my announcement.”

 

“Ah, sorry hyung! I was so excited and happy for Sunggyu-hyung!”

 

“I could see that.” I sighed, amused though.

 

“So, what were you saying?”

 

“So Sunggyu-hyung will soon have his own elits unit and we are going to meet him right now then I can recommand you to him.”

 

Again, there was a blank while my classmate had stopped short in his track, his eyes wide open.

 

“Wait, you want me to join the elits team?”

 

“Yup, you got it.”

 

“But … why me?”

 

“Don't be stupid Sungyeol-ah. You're young, accurate as a sniper and from the feedback that I got from the police academy, you're the best programmer that they had trained there. I think that all of the conditions are here to qualify you as an elit.”

 

“What about you?”

 

“Of course I will be part of the team. Goes the same for Myungsoo and Sungjong I think.”

 

He had still not move. He seemed to think intensely before to suddenly look at me with his bright and exciting eyes.

 

“So I will work with Gyu-hyung, you, Soo and Jongie?!”

 

“Uhm … Yeah that's what I said.”

 

“SO AMAZING!!!”

 

His piercing shout startled all the people around and they all glared darkly at us.

 

“Sshh, Sungyeol-ah, don't be so noisy.”

 

“Aaah, it's gonna be great!!! Come on!!!”

 

He took my wrist and pulled me to Sunggyu-hyung's office while running fast. Just before we cross the threshold, one of Sungyeol's sentence interpellated me among his joyful exclamations.

 

“Infinite, it's pretty cool as a team name, don't you think so? Can you imagine, our feats being told from generations to generations and in the entire world? The reputation of the team would be expand to infinity!”

 

Infinite, it sounded good.

 


N/A: So what do you think about the beginning of the special division? The next chapter will end of the flashback. Please look forward it, I won't take so much time to update anymore, I'm so sorry for making you guys waiting that long, thank you so much for your patience!!!

Btw welcome to my new subscribers, I hope that you enjoy the story so far and thank you to all of you who comment and upvote. I love you all so much!!!

See you very soon~
<3