Part one

Catch me

“I’m home.” said Irene as soon as she places her shoes on the shoe rack. She scanned the flat and notices the girl who’s sitting in the corner, as usual, playing with her phone. She was too focused on it that she didn’t even see Irene making her way in front of her. Irene wonders if Seulgi was avoiding her these past few weeks, for she doesn’t talk to her like the usual before. Whenever Irene would initiate the talks, Seulgi would always respond with a nod or just shakes her head. Now, Irene will grab the chance to talk to her again.

 

“Seulgi?” She calls out while biting her bottom lip, her knees were trembling along with her hands as she hopes to hear words, or maybe just a single word from the girl.

 

“Yes, unnie?” The blonde said as she stopped the game and stood up, much to Irene’s surprise. It was the first time Seulgi called her ‘unnie’ and Irene hates it because she feels like she’s talking to a stranger at the moment. The shorter girl’s gaze fell at the floor as she lowers her head, and Seulgi felt the guilt inside her.

 

“You never call me unnie before...” Irene uttered out, her face wearing an inexplicable expression. She doesn’t want Seulgi to call her that. She wants Seulgi to call her like they’re the same age, like they’re best friends. Well, sure they still are but it’s not like how they used to before. Because right now, Irene feels like there’s a wall between them. No. There really is.

 

She doesn’t know why their friendship changed. She doesn’t know but she wants to know. She wants to know why Seulgi seems avoiding and ignoring her lately and what was the reason behind it.

 

She seems distant.

 

However Seulgi, of course, doesn’t want Irene to know. She thinks that it will be better for the both of them if she’ll leave it this way; if she ignores Irene. But it’s not! It will never be for Irene. Isn’t it unfair?

 

“Seulgi yah... Friends should comfort each other, right?” Irene tried to look into her eyes but much to her dismay, the blonde girl just looked away then quietly nodded her head.

 

“That’s why you’re friends... Because you know that you have each other. You know that when one of you is down, you’ll be there for them no matter what.”

 

Seulgi nodded once again but doesn’t quite comprehend why Irene telling her these things.

 

“Then... Seulgi yah... can you do that for me right now? Can I lean on your shoulder again? Just this once? Can you please...” Her voice started shaking and Seulgi couldn’t help but to look at her face as tears started to well up in her eyes. “Please comfort me like how you used to before? Because I don’t know what to do with myself now.”

 

Without hesitation, Seulgi wrapped her arms around the girl and let her head rest on her shoulder. Her chest tightens, as she clenches her jaw.

 

It’s because of him, wasn’t it?

 

She lets out a sigh as the girl in her arms started sobbing, her tears soaking Seulgi’s white V-neck shirt as she snuggles in her embrace, trying to feel the blonde girl’s warmth that she was longing, and Seulgi doesn’t mind and she doesn’t know, but it’s the most comforting thing to Irene.

 

Her warmth.

 

 

 

Seulgi the silky dark hair of Irene’s. It wasn’t supposed to be this way, but neither the blonde did expect them to end up in a position like this; where they are laying side by side, skins touching, it was silent but peaceful, enough for them to hear the beat of their own heart. Seulgi didn’t mean to stay here; in fact, she was ready to leave the girl’s room until Irene told her to stay, with her eyes that a bear may not even resist. And then it happened, she ended up singing a lullaby to Irene, waiting for her to fall asleep.

 

Is she asleep already? Once Seulgi was sure that the girl is sleeping, she runs her thumb on Irene’s soft cheek.

 

“I’m sure you’re wondering why I was not talking to you lately...” She heaves a sigh, looking at the innocent face of the girl in her arms. “Joohyun ah... I’m... I didn’t know it was hard pretending like I do not know you at all, like you’re just nothing to me but a friend...”

 

She then slowly withdrew her arm and sat up on the edge of the bed, carefully not to wake the sleeping girl, her back facing Irene.

 

“But Joohyun ah... it’s hard not to fall in love with you.”

 

Those were the last words she said before leaving the room.

 

Irene opened her eyes; she was awake. She’s sure that she did clearly hear those words that Seulgi has said.

 

It’s hard not to fall in love with you...

 

Irene covers with her right hand and the first stream of tears rolled down her eyes that Seulgi knew not of.