Final

My Prince

“A ball?” Sungyeol asked. He was on a stool in front of a blank canvas slowly swirling his brush in the paint.

 

“Yes,” Myungsoo rolls his eyes, “Father wants me to marry, so he invited all the young maidens to come and seduce me.”  Myungsoo was simply watching Sungyeol begin his work as he leaned on the wall next to window.  

 

“You make it sound like an awful thing to be pined over by all the beautiful women” Sungyeol smirked.

 

“They’re not pining over me. They’re simply pining for my wealth and my title.”

 

Sungyeol turned his head away from the canvas and looked at Myungsoo from head to toe. He smiled, “I’m sure it’s not just the wealth and title they like.”

 

Myungsoo felt his face slowly reddening, but quickly turned to face the window to avoid Sungyeol noticing, “Wha-whatever.” Unfortunately he couldn’t hide his nervousness in his voice; Sungyeol smirked.

 

To avoid further embarrassment, Myungsoo made up some excuse of having some sort of royal business, and made his exit. When the door behind Myungsoo closed, Sungyeol’s smirk slowly made its way to a frown.

 

With a sigh, he continued painting and on the canvas his unspoken confession.


 

------

 

“She danced with such grace; her face though hidden was beautiful. Her eyes…” Myungsoo paused for a second, “Her eyes were like gems shining dutifully under the moon.”

 

Sungyeol could only give him a small smile, and a nod here and there. Myungsoo had been rambling  to Sungyeol all about the girl he had met last night. Love at first sight, he claimed.

 

Myungsoo would compliment her with hearts in his eyes one minute, and sigh the next. His eyes would slowly droop when he remembers their rushed farewell.

 

Apparently the lady had ran at the of midnight leaving nothing, but a glass slipper. Sungyeol wondered if the girl was simply not interested, but Myungsoo just looked at him with confusement and then refused the thought, He believed that the lady felt the same way.

 

“I could feel it,” Myungsoo said, “I could see it in her eyes, the love I felt was mirrored in her eyes.”

 

After seeing Myungsoo so passionate about the young lady, Sungyeol could only be the dutiful best friend and support him in his endeavor to find the his future bride.

 

Myungsoo continued to talk about the lady unknowingly breaking Sungyeol’s heart little by little.

 

-----

 

“They found her, they found her!” a messenger yelled through the halls.

 

Myungsoo had immediately stood up from his stool, not minding that Sungyeol was painting his portrait. When the message was relayed to Myungsoo, Sungyeol could see the prince’s face beam. It had been a while since he had last seen happiness expressed in Myungsoo’s eyes. When the messenger had left, Myungsoo ran to Sungyeol who was now standing up and hugged him. He lifted him and twirl not knowing that Sungyeol was cherishing that moment.

 

When Soo finally put Sungyeol down with his arms still around his waist, Sungyeol smiled and asked, “What are you waiting for? Go.”

 

Myungsoo let the taller man go and with a bright smile and a wave, immediately left the castle to find his princess.

 

-----

 

The wedding was the day after. Although rushed, everything was perfect as if the wedding was planned years in advanced.

 

“Sungyeol this is Ella,” Myungsoo introduced, “Ella this is Sungyeol; my best friend.” Sungyeol smiled and offered a hand. The girl was indeed beautiful and her voice sounded like chimes. With just a few words from her, Sungyeol could already tell she was kind hearted and intelligent, everything Myungsoo deserved.

 

“She really is a catch,” Sungyeol teased, “Now I know why you were so desperate to find her.” Myungsoo’s face reddened and jokingly shoved Sungyeol’s shoulder.Sungyeol laughed and then excused himself. As he turned around, his laugh slowly died down leaving only tears to fall.