Rule 2

Rules of Attraction

Word Count: 2,561

...

 

Rule 2: Don't try to escape fate. It's a .

Ahyoung had no idea why she had gotten so irked at the sight of an old crush but after she paid and grabbed her bag of purchases she practically ran out of the store and made it three steps on the sidewalk when she realized just how terribly lost she was.

            She had no idea where she was or which direction she needed to go to get home.

            “Hey,” Ahyoung turned to face Jungkook's handsome face. He had grown. He had always been a bit taller than her, but now she almost had to tip her head back to look him in the eye. Back then he had been skinner than he was now, not completely fitting in his school uniform but Ahyoung could see how he filled out his clothes. He had also let his hair grow out, before he refused to let it grow past mid-forehead and now it brushed the lashes of his eyes, swept messily to one side.

            “Can I help you?” Ahyoung snipped at him as she began walking determinedly in what she hoped was the correct direction. Jungkook walked easily in time with her and chuckled, shoving one of his hands in his pockets.

            “I was wondering if I could help you,” He said his voice had a light teasing tint to it, “Because we live in the opposite direction.” Ahyoung swore in English, whirred around and began to storm as angrily as she could in the other way. Jungkook grinned again then jogged a bit to catch up with her.

            “Why are you so angry at me? I haven't seen you for years, where have you been?” He asked curiously wondering where on earth she could have gone and changed so much.

            “I'm not angry at you,” Ahyoung snapped, completely contradicting her statement and making Jungkook laugh at her. Switching her bag of drinks from one hand to the other, Ahyoung sniffed at the boy and kept walking.

            “Shut up, and stop following me.” Ahyoung ordered, somehow even more annoyed because his laugh was still the iest thing ever. It was deep and came from the back of his throat.

            “I'm not following you, I'm just going back home.” Jungkook said innocently, “You still haven't answered my question.” He said, referring to his previous question asking her whereabouts for the past two years. They had reached the first intersection and Ahyoung eyes caught the slight angling of Jungkook's body to what she hoped was the right direction. When he didn't correct her, she confidently walked faster.

            Jungkook raised an eyebrow as he realized that Ahyoung had no idea where she was going but didn't bother to offer directions. Not just yet, he wanted to keep talking to her.

            Not to lose him, no she had realized early on that Jungkook has probably her only way home without getting completely and utterly lost.

            “As thankful as I am that you have notice my disappearance from the house next door to yours,” Ahyoung said, “I'm not in the mood to go into detail about my decision to leave Korea.”

            For about thirty minutes of Ahyoung wandering around in circles with Jungkook trailing beside, teasing her and just pissing her off in general Ahyoung realized that she wasn't getting anywhere anytime soon.

            “Where the am I?” Ahyoung asked, frustrated at not only the fact she couldn't remember how to get home and that all the streets were beginning to blend together, but Jungkook had found that it was his personal mission to ask her about her life away from home.

            His eyebrows rose again in amusement as he heard the foul word come from . Jungkook kind of liked this Ahyoung, she obviously didn't care about what anyone else thought and she seemed completely aggravated by his presence.

            “Where are we?” She disrupted his thoughts, grabbing his bicep unhesitatingly to avoid a car that had drove a little onto the sidewalk. Jungkook felt the warmth from her small hand for a split second and then it was gone as quickly as it had appeared as she detached and stepped away from him.

            “I thought you knew?” Jungkook said innocently. Ahyoung's eyes widened into adorable saucers.

            “Are you kidding? You don't know where we are? I though you were going home?” She almost yelled. Jungkook shrugged.

            “I was just following you,” He said, one corner of his lips tipped upwards and Ahyoung immediately knew that he was playing around with her. He had known that she had no idea where she was going and he had let her loiter around like she had no where to go.

            “Well I sure as hell don't know where I am! Take me home.” She ordered.

            Jungkook grinned.

            He did walk her back to where their houses' stood but Ahyoung barely coughed out a small 'thank you' before she practically slammed the door in his face. Breathing out heavily she waited several moments before gathering her breath and screaming so loud her sister raced into the living room with her infamous baseball bat.

            “What's wrong?” Minah asked, panicked she flung the bat in her grip wildly looking for the murderer she imagined in her mind.

            “So, Jeon Jungkook still lives next door?” Ahyoung exhaled all in one breath. With a clunk, her sister dropped the baseball bat onto the floor and leaned on it like a staff.

            “Yah. That's it? I though he was trying to take advantage of you or something.” Minah raised an eyebrow, “Yeah. He still lives next door. Why?” Ahyoung knocked her head back on the door and groaned.

            “That's it. I'm going back to America.” Ahyoung muttered handing her sister the bag of drink as she walked past her into the kitchen. “I saw him at the grocery store and I got super angry at him.”

            “Why? You used to have a massive crush on the boy.” Minah remembers as she pulls out the drinks and sets them on the counter, “Did you confess at one point?”

            “Yeah. And he freaking shot me down. Which is why I got so pissed seeing him today,” Ahyoung slipped into the seat beside her sister where a massive plate of several bacon and French toast servings sat. “And he was casual about seeing me too. He probably doesn't remember how he broke my heart. Bastard.”

            Ahyoung stuffed a piece of French toast into and sipped her drink. Beside her, Minah attempted to ruffle her sister hair even though it was in a pony tail.

            “How cute.” Minah grinned at her sister boiled.

            Ahyoung didn't have to see Jungkook for the rest of the week, she and her sister had cleaned her room, redecorated her room and met up with some old friend she hadn't seen in ages. It was going perfectly which is why when Minah got the call from her school principle in the first week of summer vacation Ahyoung had a terrible feeling that her holiday was taking a horrible turn.

            In the States, along with dance training, Ahyoung had been tutored along with a few others her age so she was all caught up on school but why else would a school principle call? Ahyoung had been planning to return to her old school and had submitted her transcript before even arriving.

            “He wants to speak with you,” Minah whispered, handing her sister the land line. They sat on the couch in her living room watching a Taiwanese drama. Ahyoung scrunched her nose up but accepted the phone.

            “Hello?” She said quietly.

            “Hello. This is Principle Lee from North Park Place High school. This is regarding the re-entrance form you submitted via email a few weeks ago.” The voice was distant and male but there was nothing in the background so she could hear him clearly.

            “Yes. Was something missing?” Ahyoung asked carefully. Next to her her sister mouthed what's wrong?

            “Actually that's the word I would use to describe your transcript. You're missing quite a bit of credits. To graduate from our high school you need twenty-two points. Unfortunately all of your accounted credits and the credits you will earn in the upcoming school year only add up to twenty.” Principle Lee said. Ahyoung's stomach fell.

            “What?” She wanted the words to be repeated so she could understand just exactly what he was saying.

            “We cannot graduate you.” He confirmed her fears. Ahyoung's heart had stopped and Minah could see the dark look on Ahyoung's face. “But I do have something I can offer you to earn those two credits needed.”

            Ahyoung's face brightened instantly, “What can I do?”

            “There's a ual health summer school class being held by a foreign teacher who has agreed to give the students two and a half credits for attending.” The principle explained, “It's every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday four hours a day for the entire summer break but lectures only take place on Mondays. The remaining two days are study hall. If you are willing, than perhaps this can fill up your credit deficiency.”

            Ahyoung nodded eagerly even though the principle couldn't see her. “I'll do it of course. And these credits count towards graduation?” Pressure on her chest from the sudden panic of no being able to graduate released her.

            “Yes. Classes begin next week. Shall I alert the teacher of a new student?”

            “Yes please. Thank you so much.” Ahyoung hung up the phone but it took her another full episode of the drama to realized what she signed up for.

            “Yah unnie, I think I just agreed to take a ed class,” Ahyoung muttered. Her sister stared at her for a moment then threw her head back in laughter.

            “Only you could manage to do that,” Minah cackled

            This was the reason why Ahyoung soon found herself staring at the large school building of her old high school wearing her old school uniform. Although she was thankful for the opportunity to make up credits, Ahyoung had tons of things she'd rather be doing then take another class on how babies are made.

            “Is this seriously happening?” She muttered, slipping past the gate and onto school campus. There were actually quite a lot of students milling around, way less than there would be if school was going but definitely a lot more than she was expecting. Ahyoung walked through the courtyard slowly, earning herself a few discrete glances from classmates she hadn't seen in years. Grabbing her phone out of her blazer's pocket she unlocked it and tapped on her email app.

            Principle Lee had sent her an email yesterday about where her class was taking place.

            Room B203. Sadly Ahyoung knew exactly where that was. It was the room right beside her old old classroom.

            North Park Place High school wasn't an old school, in fact it was rather new with clean constantly trimmed grass, perfectly cleaned windows, and spotless classrooms. All this came at a price however, Principle Lee was the person who monitored the school's cleanliness assigned a chore list to each classroom to maintain the school building. Not only did the student have to keep their own classroom's clean but they had do things like t hedges and sweeping around the school.

            Now Ahyoung watched as a group of girls had surrounded a male student that appeared to be repairing one of the chipped stones on the walkway to her class building. There was a lot of quite giggling and boy seemed to enjoying the attention.

            Ahyoung stepped inside the building. The humidity hit her in the face. The sun wasn't that strong but it was still so heated outside that she had felt sweat begin to bead on the back of her neck. Inside the school building was even worse and Ahyoung began fanning her face with phone.

            The classroom she was aiming for was far into the building and Ahyoung found herself swearing under her breath as her blazer trapped her body heat and began to overheat her. She wanted to pull her jacket off but she was already pretty late so she just sped up in search for her class.

            Unfortunately fate wasn't on her side today because as soon as her desired classroom door came into sight she almost ran into a girl who had been trying to get cell reception.

            “Watch it.” The girl snapped loudly before Ahyoung could apologize. The girl's long, strangely orange dyed hair, flicked Ahyoung in the face as the girl whirled around to look at her.

            Hyemi. Ahyoung couldn't remember her family name but she did remember how Hyemi had a thing for bullying Ahyoung back in ninth grade.

            “Maybe you should watch where you're going instead of stumbling around looking for bars that wont appear.” Ahyoung spat in English. Figures, the first person she talks to back in school would be an old bully.

            “What did you say?” Hyemi squeaked, more annoyed that she couldn't understand all of what Ahyoung was saying.

            “Move out of the way,” Ahyoung said, in Korean this time, pushing past the girl to continue to her classroom. “I don't have time for you.”

            “What did you say?” Hyemi rose her voice to a scream, obviously not used to being ordered around. Ahyoung pushed the door to her classroom, “Tramp! Who do you think you-” Ahyoung shut the door shut behind her with a large, angry, slam.

...

            The class wasn't as bad as Principle Lee had said it would be. In Ahyoung's opinion, it was far worse. The second she stepped into the room, late thanks to the chance encounter with the that bullied her two years ago, not only did every head turn in her direction but she was immediately singled out by the teacher.

            He was a large man that stood in front of the class wearing an obnoxious neon green Hawaiian shirt and plaid shorts despite the fact that not only did the school have a dress code but was currently in Korea.

            “Ah, and here is a lovely specimen, perfect for what we're learning in class today. !” He practically yelled, his wide mouth stretched into the craziest of smiles. The teacher was an old, graying man, whose accented Korean identified him as the foreign teacher. Ahyoung paused, raising an eyebrow reflexively before her brain told her it was disrespectful.

            “Pardon?” She asked, glancing around the room of her new classmates. They all look just as bewildered as she did. This teacher was new to them too.

            The teacher moved out of the way and behind him sat Jeon Jungkook, who casually rocked back on the barstool he was sitting on to look at her. His lips curled into a smirk as he recognized her immediately. Ahyoung's eyes glanced from Jungkook, to the empty bar stool next to him, to the word “” written on the white board behind him in large capital English letters.

            Oh god. She wondered if it was too late to walk out on the class.


A/N: I'm back with Rule 2! Sorry if it's a bit late, but I couldn't decide what I wanted the rule to be, so I slaved over that for awhile. Thanks for reading, I'll see you in the next chapter~