Noh

Lovesick @ Christmas: The chaotic lives of blue shorts guys

The day of the Christmas fair is finally upon us. Noh had been so busy with preparations for the fair and p’Oak’s band's performance that he had not had much sleep the past few days. Not being able to see Phun had also kept him moody and slightly irritated. Hoping that Phun was getting better after he broke things off with Aim, Noh shook away his lethargy and smiled as he entered the Music Club room to the greetings of his underclassmen and his best friend Om.

 

The morning of the fair had been spent setting up the performance stage, with Noh running back and forth to transfer cables, microphones and instruments from the Music Club room. To make matters worse, their dying amplifier, which caused them so many problems at the Live Concert, finally took its last breath.

 

“! Om! What do we do now? I don’t think I can fix it anymore.” Noh sighed as he slumped into the sofa.

 

“Relax Noh! Why not we bring it to my house? I’m sure my dad can help us out of this pinch?” Om remarked, clearly trying not to joke and instigate Noh as Om had seen how much his buddy had worked the past few days. “I think we can get back on time if we hurry!”

 

Lifting the heavy amplifier with Om into the bonnet of the taxi, Noh let out a grunt before shouting, “Come on Om! I don’t want to miss any more of the fair!”

 

“Is it the fair you’re missing or is it someone who is there hehe..”

 

SMACK!! Noh hits Om on his head, causing Om to whimper and retreat into the cool, air-conditioned taxi.

 

“And what about you? Planning to get some ice cream and watch All Star together with nong’Mick?” Noh asked with a smirk. Om resorts to kicking his shin just as he entered the taxi, causing Noh to squirm in pain and jab Om on his arm. The two kept laughing and jabbing each other as the taxi pulled to off to Dr. Whaen’s house.

 

Dr. Whaen is a miracle worker. He took apart the amplifier in no time at all, looked at the parts and knew exactly what he had to fix. Unfortunately for Noh and Om, parts that had to be replaced, the voltage regulator and amp board, had to be bought so they stayed in Om’s room while his dad went to procure the parts.

 

“I’m not afraid of mornings.

I’m only afraid that they wouldn’t come.

No matter how early it might be

I can handle it”

 

“Noh!! It’s your meh!!”

 

Noh runs to his phone to pick it up. He had been meaning to call Yuri to tell her that’s he’s too busy to accompany her today.

 

“Hi Noh! What are you doing?” Yuri asks with her ever-cheerful voice.

 

“I’m at Om’s house. I’m sorry Yuri but I don’t think you should come today. I’ll probably be busy the whole day with Music Club stuff that I can’t accompany you at the fair.”

 

“Aww.. I’ve been really looking forward to it Noh. Hmm.. I’ll probably ask around and go with a few of my friends from the convent. I’ll message you if I’m coming ok?”

 

“I can’t make any promises Yuri. I’m already swamped as it is.” Noh sighs into the phone.

 

“Okay. Noh take care of yourself ok? I don’t want you to get sick. See you.”

 

“Bye Yuri.”

 

Noh places his phone on the bed and sighs again. He felt bad that he would not be able to accompany Yuri during the fair and keep her away from the buzz cut head trolls in the school if she came. Noh had not seen Yuri for a while and missed her friendly demeanour and laughs. Oh well, Noh thought to himself.

 

“Oy! Ignoring your mother to play around with your dad Noh?” Om chuckles as he lies down next to Noh on his bed.

 

“Zip it Om! I don’t have time to play around at the fair as it is. Would you rather take care of her for me?”

 

“Haha OK! Yuri is so cute and funny I don’t understand why you would rather be with boring and serious Phun instead hehe..” Om replies as the both stare onto the ceiling as if it was the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

 

“Are you ok Noh? I don’t see you hanging with Phun much nowadays. Is there anything wrong? You can share it with me if you want to.” Om continues as Noh stays quiet for a while.

 

“I’m ok Om. Thanks for asking.” Noh speaks in a slow and tired voice. Om knows not to inquire any longer and drifts off to his own thoughts.

 

***

 

“Wake up Om. Noh, I’ve fixed your amplifier and it is as good as new. Now go hurry back to school before your mates kill both of you for sleeping on the job.” Dr. Whaen chuckles as he nudges Om and Noh from slumberland.

 

Rubbing the sleep off their eyes, Noh and Om went down to the living room before carrying the amplifier into the taxi that Dr. Whaen thankfully called for them. As the taxi winds round the tiny lanes of Om’s neighborhood, Noh looks to Om as if he needed to share something.

 

“What is it Noh?”

 

“If there is someone that makes you happy Om, cease thinking about who you’re supposed to be and what is considered the right thing to do ok? Life is too short as it is.” Noh smiles, as he repeats what he had said before. Noh could see that Om has gotten happier these days, and nong’Mick was sure to be the reason. Even if Om had not said anything about their relationship, Noh wanted to support it anyway as he wanted his best friend to be as happy and contented as he can be.

 

“I will Noh. You too bro.” Om replies, as he lays his head on Noh’s shoulder, spending the rest of the ride back to school in silence, as there were no other words needed to be said.

 

***

Noh:

Where are you Phun?

 

Phun:

I’m stuck at the hospital! Some underclassmen got into a fight. I’ll be back soon ok? Argh, I’m gonna miss p’Oak and his band. Tell me how it goes ok?

 

Noh:

Okay.. Message me when you’re back =]