Retro-Sunglasses

Shades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There it is. The Sapphire.

 

You know how some people say Paris is one of their favorite places even though they’ve never been there? The Sapphire is like that for me.

 

Images of various famous game characters hang above the door, and through the windows I can see row upon row of video games in all their glory. I don’t know how many times I’ve driven by here and almost rear-ended someone because I was longing to step inside this paradise.

 

I have dreamed of going inside the store ever since it had opened, but the moment I finished middle school I promised myself that I would change. Being an outcast was not something that I would like to go through again. I had a goal: be as well known as possible. I changed my image the moment I entered high school, But that was just the beginning, I tried out almost everything from soccer to the debate team.

 

It became obvious that excelling in spots is the ticket to popularity. So, I focused on my favorite extracurricular club: the material arts team. My new image did wonders, now everyone in school knows who I am. Guys and girls beg for my attention. The fame was nice, however, changing completely is easier said than done, there are something’s I just can't let go.

 

And now here I am. At The Sapphire. Of course, I’m not actually parked in their parking lot. I’m technically in the restaurant 'Eternal' parking lot next door. My friends and I often go to this restaurant but for different reasons. My best friend, Donghae, loves cheesecake. Eunhyuk loves the double bacon cheeseburger. I love the fact that I can see the display windows of The Sapphire from our usual booth.

 

I turn my car off since I don’t have an air conditioner. It’s just blowing hot air in my face, making me sweat like I’m about to do the second half of a soccer tournament. I put on my cap, retro sunglasses, and my big pale pink hoodie.

 

Satisfied with my incognito ensemble, I jump out of the car and duck between the other vehicles to sneak my way to the small, shaded alley separating Eternal and The Sapphire.

 

I set up camp and wait. If I peek around the edge of the building, I can see The Sapphires front door, but no one is coming in or out. I wait some more, passing the time by doing a little positive visualization: me, sitting in my air-conditioned room playing the newly made edition of Starcraft with new special effects! Just thinking about it made me excited.

 

Just then, I hear someone pull up. Out of the small Hyundai car steps a guy, probably my age. He’s tall and has a lean body wearing a red T-shirt. Before he can make it to the door, I let out a loud, “Psst!”

 

He stops and looks around, then notices me. I wave him over and duck back down the alley. After a second, his head appears around the corner, one eyebrow raised. “Yes?”

 

“Want to earn five thousand won for two minutes of work?” I try to sound as unconcerned as possible.

 

"What do you want?”

 

“I give you money, you go in there”—I shove a thumb at the wall behind me—“and buy me The new Starcraft II game. You get the change and an extra five thousand won. Deal?” I stare at him over the tops of my sunglasses.

 

“Why don’t you buy it yourself?”

 

“I just can’t, okay? So, do we have a deal?”

 

“Make it ten thousand won, plus the change.” He crosses his arms like he’s not taking 'No' for an answer.

 

My mouth drops open. “But I don’t have any more cash. Just twenty thousand won, thirteen thousand for the game, leaving seven thousand for you. Come on!” I scowl at him.

 

“Nope." He shakes his head and walks away. The bell rings as he goes inside, and I flop against the brick wall of the store. What a jerk!

 

“It’s okay,” I say out loud. “Someone else will be by any second.”

 

After a few minutes, the bell rings again, and I hear, “Psst.”

 

The guy before is standing there with a thin paper bag. The Sapphire emblem blazes across it. He slowly pulls out the game, lifts the plastic flap, and turns it so I could take a look at the cover, though it’s still a bit far for me to see clearly.

 

“Ahhhh,” he says as he releases the breath. “The cover is amazing isn't it? All brand new. It’s exciting.”

 

“What is that?” I blurt out and take a deep breath, heart exhilarating, squinting my eyes so I could take a better look.

 

“The new Starcraft II." He smiles and puts it back in the paper bag.

 

“Just let me get a closer look, please,” I say reaching my hands towards him as he unlocks his car door.

 

“Sorry. No time. I have a new game to play." Before he leaves, though, he rolls down his window and yells, “You might want to man up and go in there. There’s only one left.”

 

My heartbeat speeds up, and my palms start to sweat even more. Is it worth the risk? I ask myself as I begin to pace. It’s not like any of my friends are going to come in, and I’m thoroughly disguised even if someone I knew did happen to be in there.

 

Only one left.

 

I have to take the chance. I take a fortifying breath and square my shoulders before I stroll up to the glass door of The Sapphire. I can’t believe it. The Sapphire. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter