One

Who Are You?

Drafted on 19 May 2015
unedited

- -

 

POV: Han Yi An

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was during the spring time; I was walking past the grocery store on the way home. In the flurry of people rushing to beat the rush hour, I caught a glimpse of red - Dark, burgundy red. It was attached to the head of a pretty woman with pale skin, round eyes and a small mouth. She looked really familiar so I wondered who she was. Several seconds of recalling brought me a name to go with that face: Eun Byul.

I was stumped, metaphorically. I could not form coherent thoughts; my muscles seemed to forget how to move. All that I was was a lanky boy gaping at the sight of a woman he had not seen in three years. I was as frozen as a mannequin. I finally made a move and gasped when her eyes met mine. Sweat formed on the tip of my nose and goose flesh formed on my arms. I must have formed some sort of awkward smile, because I received a response from her. Her brows slightly furrowed and her head was tilted to the right. She was so adorable.

Eun Byul, my Eun Byul. I had not seen her since her accident years ago. She was in critical condition and had to be sent off to Europe for proper treatment and rehabilitation. It must have went really well since she was right then in front of me, the same beautiful Eun Byul I have always known. She looked healthy and happy. Perhaps, she was on the way to meet me. After all, I’ve been living in the same place ever since I was 18. I looked at Eun Byul again. Oh. My. Gosh. I almost melted on the spot. I really don’t know how to explain into words how gorgeous I thought she was. She grew up well, and I was ready to rekindle our friendship, right where we left it.

So I took the first initiative. I was so excited and my jelly knees struggled to carry me across to where she stood. Her facial expression was so cute, I interpreted that she was waiting for me to say something first. As always, Eun Byul being the stubborn girl who never made the first move. When I was right in front of her, I smiled. My heart was flip-flopping so hard I was sure even she could see it.

I put my arm around her neck. But I didn’t hug her, that’s not our thing. I head locked her and tickled her side. I think she was just as stumped as I was, because she didn’t respond. So I let go and leaned down to face her.

“Eun Byul-ah, aren’t you excited to see this face again?” I smirked, waiting for a reaction. I waited for her dorky laugh with a snort in between. I waited for her to ruffle my hair and then yank it and yell at me for being a cheese. I waited for her to look at me in the eyes and show me her eye-smile that told me everything was fine now that we were together. I waited for her to kick me in the shins and apologize at the same moment with a sincere guilt face. I waited for her to kiss my cheek and complain that I have an oily face. I waited for a rude comment on the color of shoes I chose today. I waited for her to do something. I waited for her to recognize me.

Instead,  in slow motion I saw open, form an ‘O’ and speak three words I never would have imagined to hear.

Who. Are. You.

 

 

 

 

She didn’t remember me.