Don't give up

(Music Is) Always By Your Side

x

 

[2023]


The lights reflect on the water, bringing bright colors to the scenery even though it’s dark and there are no visible stars in the sky. The river is wide, the water still, a few boats docked on either side. Years ago Minjun might have thrown a stone in there so that there would be movement, or he might have incited Wooyoung to do it. Right now, though, he feels drawn to the colors more than anything else. To his right, there’s green the exact color of Okcat, which makes him smile. He tells Wooyoung that, and the other says he’s just getting nostalgic because they are in the same country where they recorded a 2PM music video ten years ago. Okcat was just about to be released back then. 

Minjun doesn’t contradict Wooyoung. He knows that’s exactly what he feels: nostalgia. Longing for the company of the other four, most of whom said they wouldn’t be able to make it this time, one of whom didn’t even answer him.

It would fit, then, that next to the green lighted building there is what looks like a big factory composed of two buildings, one large and short, the latter half the width and double the height of the taller, that is, if he took the tower into consideration. They’re both yellow, and have the biggest reflection on the water. It would fit, because Junho is the one who Minjun misses the most right now.

Wooyoung reaches for Minjun’s hand and leans against his side. It’s not even autumn yet but the night is cold, though that might not be the only reason for the closeness. Wooyoung had been talking about places he wanted to visit the next day to get inspiration for another line of furniture he’s designing, and Minjun had encouraged him and asked questions and made jokes. Until they got to that river, and Minjun grew quiet. He knows it’s unusual of him and that Wooyoung has always picked up on his changes of humor. He appreciates how his partner could offer comfort through small things like holding hands and letting him be. Minjun squeezes his fingers and looks for shades of the color that would be their maknae.

“There’s no purple...” His voice is a near whisper, almost a question. He feels it as Wooyoung perks up and follows his gaze before looking from one building to the other himself. 

“There.” He lifts the hand that’s still entwined with Minjun’s and points, the move making the older one laugh breathlessly. Wooyoung’s smile is brief but meaningful, and Minjun wants to kiss his hand but Wooyoung tugs a little at his arm so he will look. “It’s lilac, but that’s just a lighter shade of purple, see?” 

Minjun does see it, but it’s a spot so small and a shade so light he thinks his eyes might be playing a trick on him. However, if Wooyoung saw it first, maybe it’s really there. 

“And on the other side.” Wooyoung moves their hands together to the left, crossing to the other side of the river. The bridge opposite the one where they’re standing leads to a blue lighted building, but Wooyoung shushes him and moves past an unlit building to two other buildings that look the same, with the exception of different coloured lights. One shines in pink from the inside, the other in light blue, but the latter reflects on part of the former’s wall, making part of its light look purple. Its reflection on the water looks as if the pink lighted building had a purple pillar underground, sustaining it. 

Minjun is at a loss for words. It’s Wooyoung who squeezes his hand this time before lowering their arms. Minjun lets go of him for a second, only to drape that same arm on Wooyoung’s shoulder and bring him closer. Wooyoung’s hand slips under the older one’s thick coat, circling his torso and spreading warmth through the woolen sweater that’s underneath. 

The light blue and bright pink buildings are united on the first floor by what looks like a restaurant, or a bar, its frontage a shiny red with yellow letters that Minjun can’t decipher. Those might be hotels, but Minjun is not curious enough to go there and check. Right now he feels like taking Wooyoung back to their own hotel, to deviate his thoughts from all these colors and the years that have passed since they were used to represent something that no longer stood together.


x


“Sir?” 

Minjun turns to the receptionist as he finishes taking his coat off and nods in waiting. Wooyoung pauses. They had talked about going to the small pub on the first floor to eat something and relax before calling it a night. 

“There’s someone waiting for you,” the receptionist adds, her cheeks coloring in a way that is telling. Minjun would say she’s in her early twenties, and considering the few people who know he and Wooyoung are in Germany, she might have been charmed by the foreign visitor. “He’s in the pub.”

“Well, that makes things easier,” Minjun tells Wooyoung after thanking the receptionist. He resists putting an arm around Wooyoung’s shoulders to pull him along only because he doesn’t want the third party to feel excluded once they meet. He has a feeling he knows who this is, the secrecy actually revealing. 

Minjun spots him first. He’s sitting on a stool by the counter, a glass of what’s probably just water in front of him. His hair is a nice mop of brown curls that Minjun doesn’t hold back from ruffling when he approaches, laughing when the other gets startled and nearly pushes the older one away before realizing who’s attacking him. 

“Did you really think I wouldn’t welcome you? Huh? Or are you trying to give me a heart attack? Why didn’t you answer my calls?” 

Junho’s ears turn red so fast Minjun has to smile at him-- at the familiar reaction, the way he purses his lips and looks past him before meeting his eyes again. Minjun looks over his shoulder and Wooyoung is shaking his head at both of them, but there’s a smile hovering over his lips. Wooyoung walks further into the pub to look for a table, his lack of reaction at Junho’s presence suspicious.

Minjun turns back to the newly arrived and opens his arms. “So? Don’t I get a hug?”

Junho looks like he doesn’t know what to make of him, and that’s good, that he’s nervous and unsettled because then it’s easier for Minjun not to cry when he hugs Junho and kind of tries to crush him under his arms. 

“Say something, damn it,” Minjun whispers, and Junho hugs him back even tighter before moving away.

“You look good, hyung.” His smile is sheepish but his eyes shine and curve at the edges, his cheekbones high and his ears still red. He looks good too. He’s aged well, but it only makes Minjun miss the dongsaeng that has always been like a little brother to him. 

“Yeah, yeah. Try to charm me with compliments.” But Minjun snorts and softens his tone. “I’m glad you’re here. Now, let’s join Wooyoungie at that table before he orders just what he likes to eat.”

Junho smiles knowingly, and he seems to relax. “I bet he’s taking good care of you.”

Minjun’s laugh is almost soundless. “Ah, our Wooyoungie. He has to make up for being so high maintenance, y’know.”

“I heard that,” Wooyoung says, but he looks vaguely amused. Once again Minjun has the impression he’s hiding something, and it might be the fact that he knew Junho was coming. Minjun holds that thought for later, he doesn’t want to make Junho feel uncomfortable.

“So I take you two still bicker like an old couple,” Junho says.

“Yah! Watch your mouth!” Minjun’s outburst is so spontaneous, so reminiscent of the old days, that the three of them end up laughing. 

“Still sensitive about your age, I see.”

“What’s this? You show up out of the blue and try to act all arrogant around your hyungs? Is that what you’ve learned these past few years, Junho?” Minjun narrows his eyes at him, but Junho looks suddenly abashed and he seems ready to apologize. It makes Minjun smile as he pokes the younger one’s shoulder playfully. “I’m just kidding. I know you’re kidding too. But don’t overdo it, okay?”

Junho blinks, his eyes assessing Minjun as if to make sure it’s really okay. He nods, then, lips curving up for a second.

“Can we sit now?” Wooyoung shows them to a small table surrounded by three cushioned armchairs, the one in the middle a little more spacious than the others. They’re a set of brown velvet with random patterns that barely appear under the dim light, not the kind that Minjun would have at home or see Wooyoung designing, but they are comfortable. Wooyoung sits on the one near the wall, Minjun sits to the right across from him, and Junho sits on the one that’s between them. The two younger ones cross their legs almost at the same time and it makes Minjun smile again, an old memory of Wooyoung fussing about him sitting with his legs wide open coming to mind. He’s always sat like that, though, as if he were home no matter where. He also recalls Chansung sitting the same way, and he’s almost caught in a whirlwind of memories. 

It doesn’t happen often. Minjun has always believed in moving on and focusing on the present so the future will be good reflection of the effort he made, but he’s also given himself the right to reminisce at least once a year. This would have been their 15th anniversary. Four years after he came back from the army to find out they were not getting back together anymore, Minjun still gives himself this one day to wish what he wanted had come true.

He’s not bitter about it, though. That time has passed. It’s just wishful thinking. And he’s really happy to see Junho overcoming whatever fears he has to be here and share this moment with him and Wooyoung, even if the other half of the group couldn’t make it this time.

“Hyunggie?” Wooyoung sounds like he has been calling him for a while, despite the softness in his tone and the nickname he didn’t often use when they were not alone. He smiles once Minjun acknowledges him. “Junho and I are thinking about getting Schnitzel with fries. There’s a portion that’s enough for the three of us. What do you think?” 

Minjun nods. They visited Germany enough for him to remember that dish. “And beer?” He looks at Junho, knowing Wooyoung will probably join him anyway. 

Junho flushes, and Minjun wonders if he’s thinking about the last time they all drank together, and what happened after that. “I still can’t drink much,” he says, but that’s not necessarily bad news. 

“Then drink just a little,” Minjun says and winks at him. 


x


The pub is empty except for them, maybe because it’s a Monday, though the hotel itself is still busy. On the weekends, there’s usually a band playing, or somebody on the piano. The instruments are still there, on the small stage behind Junho, the piano on a corner to the right. Some soft music is playing on the radio, and Minjun longs for the noise, for people, for loud music and the way they’d party when they were together. 

“I hope you come next year,” Minjun says, and Junho seems taken aback. He hasn’t come to any of their previous yearly gatherings, and even if they saw each other and kept in touch, it was not the same when all six of them were not together. He feels Wooyoung’s eyes go from one to the other, but he’s keeping to himself most of the time, letting Minjun and Junho do most of the talking while he eats. Minjun understands why he’s doing that, and he appreciates it. 

“Do you already know where you’re going?” Junho asks, sipping at his beer and munching on a fry carefully. 

“Hmmm... we were in Jakarta last year, in Paris the year before…” He looks at Wooyoung, and sure enough, he’s smiling as much as Minjun at the memories they created there. They’ve always spent a few days longer than just the one or two with the others, making that their own trip. It was like a small honeymoon. “And in 2020 we were in Seoul.”

“We could go to Tokyo next year,” Wooyoung says quietly, and Minjun might have suggested the same. Junho looks down, perhaps feeling trapped. He’s lived in Japan for a few years now, and despite his busy schedule-- concerts, conferences, recording, rehearsals, and so on-- it would be easier for him to attend their meeting if it were there. And he would have fewer excuses not to go. 

“You’re always welcome to be with us.” Minjun looks at Junho, and then puts a hand on his knee so the other will look back at him. He nods when their eyes meet. “I mean it. We all mean it. You’re part of this. You deserve to celebrate this as much as any of us.”

“Celebrate?” Junho echoes, his voice small. He clears his throat, and Minjun gives him space. “I thought... I thought you still regretted that--”

Minjun takes a deep breath. “We all miss that, but we’ve moved on. We’re doing other things. Nichkhun has a family just like you said he wanted, and who knows if he would already be married if he were still in 2PM? Chansung is about to release a book about-- philosophy or something like that,” he laughs. “He explained it to me but I don’t remember the details. And he’s become respected as a photographer and he’s traveling so much on his own. He’s even getting some sleep.” He pauses, just to savor both Junho’s and Wooyoung’s smiles. “And Taecyeon-- I often think that his reaction that day was because... You did what he also wanted to do, but he probably didn’t realize that. Not really. But look at him now. He’s recording another drama but he’s also turning the Okcat cartoon into a movie. I bet he’s proud of that.”

Junho nods slowly, his smile fleeting. “How about you, though? You and Wooyoung?” He looks from Minjun to Wooyoung, and the oldest reckons this is what worries him the most.

“We can’t go back,” Wooyoung says matter-of-factly, speaking when Minjun doesn’t answer right away. “But I also wouldn’t want to force you to do something you didn’t want. And I guess... I agree with our hyung, you just made us realize we might also want something different. I mean, we would have fought harder to convince you to stay if that’s what we wanted the most, right? I don’t know if we let go too easily, but I also don’t know if things would have been better if we had remained as 2PM. I just know about what did happen.” He pauses, takes a sip of his beer, sets the glass on the table. He smiles at Minjun before looking at Junho again, and the smile remains. “I’m happy, Junho. I really am. And I’d be even happier if you were here next year, if we could all be together. It doesn’t really have to be on the same date, though. We could all go to your concert, just like we used to.”

“I’d like that,” Junho says, his smile small but genuine. 

Minjun extends a hand to Wooyoung, squeezing his fingers once before letting go. He’s touched by his words, and even though he’s sure they’re both happy, it’s still nice to hear Wooyoung say that. He turns to Junho. “I’d love to make music for us all again. I miss being on stage with you guys, and I miss the hectic schedule because it meant we were doing things together and we always had fun.” He sighs, feeling like he took a burden off his shoulders by saying that. “Sometimes I think we could, I don’t know, just have this one concert. Maybe for our 20th anniversary. But that’s just...” He trails off, lets out a breathless chuckle and shakes his head. “Of course I’m having fun and I enjoy what I’m doing right now, too. And I know I wouldn’t get to spend so much time with Wooyoung if things were different...” He pauses, replaying the words in his head. He knows that Junho wouldn’t want him to lie, and that’s why he’s being honest, even if it’s probably not easy for Junho to bear this. “But I mean it when I say we’ve moved on, and that this, us getting together on our anniversary, is a celebration. 2PM was a huge part of our life. In a way, it still is. We wouldn’t have come this far without that. And no matter what, I’ll always be happy that I’ve met you all and got to spend some of the best years of my life with you.”

Junho swallows, picking at his fingers while looking at him. Minjun clicks his tongue, gets up and wraps the other in a tight hug. 

“I guess this calls for cheers,” Wooyoung says, and Junho half laughs, half sobs on Minjun’s shoulder while Wooyoung asks the waiter if by any chance they have some soju.


x


[2019]

“Where’s Junho?” 

Chansung has a fond smile on his face when he turns to Minjun. “I asked Taec to help me take him downstairs.”

Minjun laughs quietly and nods, not surprised. Even though Junho did seem to be drinking more than ever, or at least more than Minjun remembered him ever doing, the result was still the same. “How grumpy do you think he’ll be when he wakes up?”

Chansung frowns in thought, but his lips slowly curve up again. He might be recalling other nights like this, when they partied and Junho would be the first one to go home or pass out from drinking too little compared to what their maknae could handle. “If we wake him up now, I think he won’t even be conscious enough to feel anything. He might still yell at us to leave him alone, though.”

There’s another throaty chuckle, another knowing shake of the head. Minjun takes a sip of his whiskey as he looks around the patio, a few people still drinking and chatting, others getting ready to leave. He spots Taecyeon with an empty glass of beer in his hand, he’s probably too sleepy to even realize that by now, though he laughs out loud at something Nichkhun’s telling him. He spots Wooyoung escorting a couple of guests to the gate and he can’t help the smile that comes to his lips. “I guess we can leave him sleeping for a while. Wait for everybody else to leave.” 

Chansung has just emptied his own glass of whiskey, a taste he had acquired long before they left for the army. Minjun was glad to have a fellow member appreciate the same beverage he did, and it still makes him content, for the company above all else though. “It’s 5am and nobody’s dancing anymore. We’re really getting old, hyung.”

“Don’t you dare.” Minjun shows him the two fingers with which he might flick Chansung’s forehead if he said something about their age again. It was not fair, especially coming from the younger one, who seemed to be aging backwards. The way Chansung laughs hasn’t changed though-- it’s lively and his body shakes with it, his eyes crinkle softly and glow with amusement. His eyes are still warm when he looks at Minjun.

“I missed you,” Chansung says. It catches Minjun off guard, and maybe it affects Chansung in a similar way, for the words seem unplanned. “I missed you all.” His voice sounds lower this time, and he stares at his empty glass as if it could explain why he’s suddenly saying that. 

“Tsk, you giant kid, come here.” Minjun hugs him, and maybe pats him on the back a little too hard. “Couldn’t you wait till we were alone? Wanna make your hyung cry?” He stops talking because he’s only half joking. This is the first time they’ve all gotten together in over three years, nearly four. The only reason they’re not huddled up somewhere to catch up and reminisce is this party the other five helped organize to celebrate Minjun’s release from the army, though it’s more like a celebration of what would have been 2PM’s eleventh year. It could be the kick off to the twelfth.

Or it could have been.


x


“We had a deal,” says Taecyeon, his voice slurred. It seems he’s having a hard time keeping his eyes open. If he were sober, he might have sounded angry right then. The distress seems light, but Minjun knows his dongsaengs too well. There will come another reaction later.

“Did we?” Junho retorts, all traces of sleepiness and inebriation gone. His defiance is mostly a means to hide his insecurities, a mask with which they’re all familiar, but it’s still irritating. He’s never been able to drink much and part of Minjun is glad that hasn’t changed, but right now he wishes Junho had gotten smashed just like the rest of them. Whatever’s about to happen, it doesn’t feel right. This is a party. They’re the only ones left, but six people still make a party. They should be celebrating and having fun and pushing unwanted discussions aside for as long as possible. 

“We said we would wait until everybody was back to make any decisions,” Nichkhun says, his memory for specific conversations as sharp as ever. Chansung and Wooyoung nod, one slightly more serious than the other. Taecyeon and Junho just look at Nichkhun, waiting. Minjun is trying not to frown or set his jaw, but he still feels Wooyoung’s hand quietly slipping into his, squeezing in an attempt of reassurance. Minjun pulls the other’s arm close to his chest and keeps their hands clasped, but he knows his own features have hardened. 

They had decided not to sign any contracts, be it for their solo careers or as a group. They were not sure when each one of them would be back from the army and they didn’t want to have any ties that might cause trouble in the future, which seemed so far and uncertain back then. They all wanted to go back to 2PM, or at least that was what they felt back then, or-- Minjun doesn’t want to do this, he doesn’t want to doubt what he believed in the past, but-- at least that’s what they told each other. He looks at Junho and wonders what made him change his mind, and why he didn’t tell anyone. 

“Why?” he asks, and almost startles himself, though his voice is quiet. It still draws the others’ attention to him, and Junho seems to want to disappear into the couch where he’s sitting across from Minjun and Wooyoung. The answer won’t come easily out of him, just as it must have not been easy to blurt out that he already had signed a solo contract and he didn’t want to come back to 2PM. It was the first thing he said once he woke up to the other five discussing possible dates and songs they had worked on when they had some free time. To Minjun, hearing him say that had felt like a punch, or time standing still. It hurt a lot, he tasted betrayal in his mouth, but at the same time he couldn’t digest the words at first— or he just didn’t want to. They were not getting back together. There wouldn’t be the six of them on stage. No more practicing choreographies until their bodies moved without them thinking about it. What of the songs he and the others had already written during their hiatus, what of their ideas for concepts and places to visit? It was not time standing still, but Minjun who could not move or speak for what seemed like a long time. It was difficult to comprehend the fact that Junho had said he didn't want to come back, that what they had been talking about before Junho woke up suddenly could not be part of Minjun's life or have meaning anymore.

“I needed... I needed a guarantee. I needed to know I wouldn’t come back to nothing...”

Junho isn’t done talking, but Chansung still chimes in. He’s sitting on the same couch as Junho, though there’s a vacant seat between them. Nichkhun is sitting on a poof to the left and in between the two couches, his eyes intent on Junho. Chansung has a frown on his face, but his voice is not accusing, just-- hurt. “Why didn’t you tell us? We could have talked about this.”

Junho is still silent, though. Minjun looks at Taecyeon, who’s pacing around the living room like some caged animal. Minjun doesn’t know if the comparison comes from the alcohol but it still sounds weird in his head. Taecyeon has never been fond of animals, though he did grow to at least bear the presence of some around him, as long as they were tame. Minjun’s trying to remember how much Taecyeon actually enjoyed recording Three Meals back in the day, but his thoughts are cut short. Taecyeon has noticed his stare, but he looks from Minjun to Junho with parted lips, as if ready to pounce. Minjun understands how disgruntled Taecyeon is, but he shakes his head once and Taecyeon stops, brows furrowed. 

“I don’t think your reaction would have been much different.” Junho states, not looking at any of them. Minjun has to stop and think about Chansung’s question again to understand what Junho’s talking about. 

“So you never... you never intended to come back? It was already over for you?” Wooyoung asks, and he’s probably squeezing Minjun’s fingers without realizing. 

“I don’t know... I wanted, but at the same time... I was exhausted...” he trails off.

“Are you tired of us?” Taecyeon’s question takes not only Junho but also Minjun by surprise. He doesn’t get to see the others’ faces before Junho’s suddenly standing up, his ears and cheeks flushed in offense.

“You know that’s not what I mean!” Junho’s voice is a little loud, and Minjun knows, he realizes then that’s what Taecyeon wanted. To get a rise out of Junho so he would spill his thoughts instead of holding back because he was afraid of what the others might tell him. “I love you guys. But I just can’t do this anymore! I’m sick of the overpacked schedules and rushing from one thing to the other and pretending to like things I don’t to please people and just-- I want to make my own decisions. I want to have time to think and rest and eat. We’re not teens anymore, our bodies can’t handle this. I know my body can’t. So, yes, I’m being selfish, but don’t tell me you never thought about that too!”

Taecyeon and Junho stare at each other, even though the words were not meant for Taecyeon alone. “That’s why we wanted to wait till everybody was together again, to talk about things like that,” Taecyeon says, his voice calm despite the unmistakable irritation showing in his features. “I’ve thought about that too. And I know we’ve all paid the price for overworking our bodies, but we could be careful about that now. We could demand for a contract that wouldn’t compromise our health.”

“And we could just as easily fall into old habit.”

“But then it would be our own fault, right?” Taecyeon pauses and sighs. He rakes his fingers through his hair before looking at Junho again. 

“You’ve been thinking about this for years now...” Nichkhun says, making Junho turn around to look at him. The way he seems to brace himself for whatever Nichkhun has to say pains Minjun. If he knew this would come once Junho woke up, he would have waited for the others to leave so they could talk about it without fighting. But would Junho have told him the truth? Nichkhun voices his next thought. “Are you willing to reconsider?”

“We could have just a few concerts. Just something for our fans. Perhaps one album? Junho?” Chansung seems about to get up and touch the other, but as he waits his hands curl into fists on the couch instead. 

Junho takes a deep breath, and as hard as it seems for him to do so, he shakes his head in a definite no.


x


[2023]


“Some of his predictions came true though.” Wooyoung deadpans as Minjun refills his glass and then his own. Now there are two empty bottles of beer on the small table. The meat and most of the fries are already gone as well as half a bottle of soju. Mixing that with beer was all it took for Junho to be dead to the world. At least for a while.

“He knows us all as well as we know him. That doesn’t mean we can’t have surprises...” Minjun sighs, savoring his beer. 

“Some of them unpleasant.”

Minjun doesn’t want to go down that road again. They’ve already talked about that, and he hopes Junho will take their words to heart. “I’m happy he’s here. Really.”

“I know,” Wooyoung says, his content smile a reflection of his words. 

Minjun takes the chance to ask the question he didn’t earlier. “You knew about it, right?”

Wooyoung merely shrugs. “He had to find out where we were staying, and I was more than happy to give him the address and tell him you missed him.” Wooyoung makes an exasperated noise as he looks at Junho, but his smile remains fond. “This kid. He will do what he wants, but he was afraid he had hurt you too badly.”

Minjun doesn’t say Junho hurt him more by staying away. Wooyoung already knows, which is probably why he helped the other to overcome that. And he also missed Junho. They all did, and to Minjun that has always mattered more than the fact that they had reached a crossroads and each one followed a different path. It didn’t have to mean they couldn’t meet again. They should. Each year that passed without Junho showing up to their gathering only convinced Minjun of that. Not talking would not make anything better, and when it came to the six of them they had always tried to lay it on the line so there would be no misunderstandings, no wounds left unattended. 

“We should take a pic of him sleeping and send it to the others.”

Minjun laughs heartily at the suggestion, and Wooyoung seems pleased. 


x


There’s a third bottle of beer on the table and Minjun’s phone is vibrating when Junho shifts on the couch. Wooyoung looks at the phone and has to conceal his amusement, which only makes it harder for Minjun to keep his own laughter in. 

“I’m sorry...” is the first thing Junho says before extending an arm to grab at the bottle of soju, which neither of the other two had touched after it knocked him out. Minjun wasn’t expecting Junho to try and drink more but that’s what he does-- serves each of them another shot in the small glasses Minjun forgot to ask the waiter to take away. Junho drinks his own and doesn’t notice Minjun barely sips his while Wooyoung simply empties his own on the floor. Minjun is beyond amused that Wooyoung, the clean freak baby he loves, has done that. He tries not to cackle but Junho is already leaning back against the armchair again, hardly conscious, so Minjun lets it out and Wooyoung joins him. 

“So, who replied?” Wooyoung asks, refilling their tall glasses with beer. 

Minjun shows him the phone. There’s the small picture of Junho passed out, Wooyoung making the 2PM sign next to him while Minjun smiles creepily at the camera. Under that there’s a sequence of laughing characters that Chansung sent, and then, “Oh my! He’s really there with you guys? I’m so happy, Minjunnie, Woodongie! I’m sorry I couldn’t come!!! TT____TT But as soon as I’m done with this book we can set another date!”

Wooyoung snorts. “He talks as if we all still lived in Seoul and could meet at any time.”

Minjun shoves at his shoulder even though he knows Wooyoung is half joking. “But we all travel a lot. I’m sure Chansungie could come up with some photographic theme and use that as a reason to visit us in L.A.”

Or we could put your latest idea into practice and build a studio in Seoul.”

Minjun pauses. He wasn’t expecting Wooyoung to bring that up. “We still don’t have enough money for that.”

Wooyoung doesn’t miss a beat. “We could ask Nichkhun and Taecyeon for help.”

Minjun sighs. They have been over this a lot of times over the last couple of weeks, ever since he admitted that he still had that dream. Even though he was happy with making music for others, releasing some of his own songs once in a while and playing the role of a high paid DJ every other week, he still missed working with music every day. He missed recording and remixing and producing and performing and putting all his energy into that. But setting up a studio of his own would not be easy, and investing his savings on that was too much of a risk. 

Wooyoung disagreed with him, though. For a couple of years now he had been studying, designing furniture and decorations, and he was starting to make money with that. He wanted to help Minjun, and he also wanted to get back into the music business. And he believed that they could rely on their friends for that, and at the moment both Nichkhun and Taecyeon were more than well off. Nichkhun had always been the most fortunate among them when it came to making money, and he’s still getting several modeling, endorsement and acting offers. Since he didn’t have to go to the army, he never stopped working. Taecyeon, on the other hand, had kept the Okcat business going while he was in the army because he already had trusted people who worked for him before that. Even without 2PM, the cat plushie has remained popular, since Taecyeon made sure to follow the trends and adapt the green character for whatever new technology or app people got addicted to. 

Minjun knows he can count on them and they would support him and might even want to be an active part of the business, especially Taecyeon. At the same time, however, he doesn’t want to depend on them for that. He understands, to some extent, why Junho wanted to do things on his own, why he sought freedom despite the fact that he also wanted to be with them-- Minjun is sure he did, and that he must have second-guessed his decision several times. 

Minjun’s phone vibrates again. Wooyoung leans forward on his seat to look at it together with him. This time, it’s Nichkhun who answered. First, he said, “Ahhh our Nuneogun has finally come to his senses! And then lost them again!” Wooyoung rolls his eyes at the joke, but he’s smiling. Then Minjun makes cute noises at the phone because Nichkhun just sent them a picture of his baby daughter in her crib. “Hannah is also sleeping! Isn’t she the cutest?” 

“She is,” Minjun says, and types that, adding, “She obviously takes after her mother.”

Wooyoung is still laughing when Nichkhun replies. “Tiffany says you only have to bring two presents when you come visit. One for Hannah, and one for me, since you already flatter her enough.”

The next text is by Taecyeon. There’s a crying Okcat emoji, and, “I wanna sleep too...” 

Minjun makes quick calculations in his head before answering. “Isn’t it early morning there? Didn’t you just wake up?”

“That’s exactly why I want to go back to sleep, Junk...”

Wooyoung chuckles at the lack of a period for Minjun’s nickname, and the other looks sideways at him. 

“I can’t get to him right now but you do know I can hit you, right?” 

Wooyoung moves even closer, smiling at him. “You can, but you won’t.”

And Minjun has to smile back. “Damn you.”

Wooyoung looks too pleased with himself as he leans back on his armchair. Minjun keeps looking at him while he does the same, his phone now muted on the table. He can get back to that later. 

“Do you know if Junho got a room for himself?” Minjun asks, and that doesn’t seem to be what Wooyoung’s expecting. Good.

“He did.”

“So help me take him there before we go to our own room.”

Wooyoung’s mouth hangs open as he lets out an oh, and that’s all Minjun wanted. 

They get up, and Minjun shakes Junho’s shoulder. “Nuneo yah!”

Junho grumbles something and peeks at him from under his curly fringe. “Hm? Are we going home?”

Minjun stifles a laugh. “Hotel room. What’s yours?”

Junho fumbles with his pockets until he finds the card in his jacket. “Here,” he gives it to Minjun.

“Come on, get up so we can help you,” Wooyoung says, holding him by the arm as Junho stands on his feet.

“I can walk.”

“Sure you can,” Minjun says, holding his other arm. “Doesn’t mean you can’t fall.”

“I won’t,” Junho mumbles, half a whine, his eyes barely open. He doesn’t fight them off though, so they walk to the elevator without much fuss. And it’s good that Wooyoung is supporting Junho from the other side because Minjun suddenly remembers leaving his phone on the table, and he lets go of Junho just as suddenly.

“Phone,” he tells Wooyoung, who shakes his head at him as if his forgetfulness is predictable.

“Should we wait for you?”

Minjun looks at Junho, who by now is half leaning on Wooyoung, half asleep. “Do you think you can take care of him by yourself?”

Wooyoung snorts. “How many times do you think I had to do the same for you? And you’re much more difficult to handle when you’re drunk.”

“Oh shut it,” Minjun says, but they’re just bickering, exactly like Junho put it earlier. “Have fun, then. I’ll wait for you in our room.”

Wooyoung lifts an eyebrow at him. “Sure...”

Minjun chuckles and heads back. He finds his phone still there, as well as the last shot of soju Junho served him, which he barely drank. He gulps it down, sighing as it burns pleasantly down his throat. He checks his phone and finds another text by Taecyeon.

“So, a little bird (a baby chick, you might say) tells me you wanna open a studio in Seoul?”

“When did Wooyoung even talk to him about this?” Minjun whispers, a little annoyed that the other would bring this up to Taecyeon without them making a decision first. However, he also doesn’t know how much Wooyoung told the other… It wouldn’t hurt to have that conversation with Taecyeon. He might even shed some light on their vague ideas of what to do and how. 

Besides, Minjun has to be optimistic. In a way, Wooyoung helped Junho come here, and he would thank him properly for that in a bit. He could trust Wooyoung again and at least discuss the possibility of opening a studio with Taecyeon, and who knows what that might lead to. 

Minjun’s smiling when he starts typing his response.

 

x