Fate

Age is Just a Number

 

Sehun breathed in and out nervously as he stood in front one house. He tidied his collar shirt, he mumbled some encouraging words, he put the flower bouquet behind his back clutching to it with his left hand as his right hand pressed the doorbell beside the front door. Sehun exhaled a long breath (one that he hadn’t realised he was holding) and waited for someone to open the door.

The mahogany door opened not long after Sehun pressed the bell and a shorter guy with wavy hair appeared in front of him. He looked casual with a black sweater and knee length pants. He brought books with him and his expression was set in one of surprise.

“Good evening, Mr. Kim!” Sehun bowed awkwardly after both of them had stared each other for a while in… much disbelief.

“Oh Sehun! Long time no  see…,” Jongdae finally spoke as he smiled widely.

“This is for you.” Sehun handed over the flower bouquet of lilies to the house owner.

“So pretty. You remembered I like lilies?” Jongdae commented in disbelief and Sehun just nodded as pink shades tinted his pale cheeks. “Thank you, my student. Come in.”

Jongdae opened the door wider as he gestured Sehun to follow him inside the house. Jongdae instructed Sehun to sit on the couch in living room as he walked into the kitchen. He came back with two cups of steaming hot chocolate.

“I’m sorry my house is really messy.” Jongdae looked around the room as he put the cups on the table. “I had no idea you were going to visit me. I’m sorry I didn’t prepare anything.” Jongdae said with sincere regret laced in his tone.

“It’s okay, Mr. Kim. I just… I just miss my old teacher.” Sehun said carefully.

Jongdae’s eyes glinted and he smiled. “I feel so honored.” He laughed. “Am I the first teacher that you’ve visited?”

Sehun nodded. “Yes. And I’m afraid it’s only you.”

Jongdae almost spilled his hot chocolate when he heard Sehun’s words.

He chuckled awkwardly as he asked. “How’s your college life?” He tried to divert Sehun’s attention.

“It’s really cool. I really like my major, International relations. All of my lecturers are great. But no one’s as great as you.” Sehun smirked. Jongdae’s felt his jaw dropped. But he had nothing to say so Sehun continued.

“Mr. Kim… it’s been already over 3 years. Look at me now, I’m an adult. Can we date now?” Sehun asked finally.

 The real intention of why he visited his old teacher. The promise that they made 3 years ago.  As if that’s an easy question. As if that’s just a question you can ask on a daily basis. As if Jongdae was his close friend and there was no age difference between them. While in fact…  Jongdae is older than Sehun. Even worst, he’s his high school teacher.

“Oh Sehun… we are not…,” Jongdae tried to find suitable words to describe their situation. I’ll look like an old predator. Jongdae screamed in his thoughts.

“What? Not… Compatible? Just because I’m twenty two years old and you’ll be thirty this September,” Sehun let out in exasperation. “I’m legal now.” He added, which sounded more like desperation.

“We can’t!” Jongdae exclaimed. Now he was standing and pacing around the living room in confusion. Avoiding his student’s pleading eyes as the latter sat on the couch and desperately needed an answer. A really satisfying answer.

“Why?” Sehun asked carefully. “You promised me you would consider it 3 years ago. I kept my promise too. That I’ll come to you. I only want you.”

Why? Jongdae thought.

Because it isn’t right.

You should be dating a beautiful girl who’s the same age as you.

Not an old bachelor like me.

I already have wrinkles.

Nonsense excuses come up one after the other in Jongdae’s head. But actually deep inside his heart he tried to find an excuse to be with Sehun. Even only one excuse.

Impossible. Jongdae thought again.

“We won’t make it.” Jongdae muttered hopelessly as he looked at Sehun’s sad face.

Sehun’s expression darkened as he stood and approached his high school teacher.

“And who told you that we won’t make it?” Sehun said in a low voice that made Jongdae’s breath hitch.

“Myself.” Jongdae encouraged himself and finally found the way to stare into Sehun’s brown orbs. “We can’t. You should be dating beautiful girls your age. Not an old bachelor like me.” Jongdae’s let out his built up thoughts as he tore his stare away from his handsome student.

“I made it clear three years ago, I’m not into girls Goddamnit!” Sehun’s voice rose as he grew frustrated.

Why Jongdae can’t see it? Sehun hate his thought.

“Even though you’re not into girls, you should dating with someone your age.” Jongdae emphasized the last three words.

“I have nothing in common with people my age. They’re all immature and stuck up.” Sehun confessed as he pursed his lips.

“You can’t say that. It’s not normal for us. Peoples will think that we’re strange. They’ll think I’m a e.” Jongdae sighed.

“I look much older than you and for your information,  I’m taller than you Mr. Kim. No one can really guess our real age.” Sehun spoke sternly.

Jongdae sat back on the couch and let Sehun stand in front of him.

“Please, we can’t do this.” Jongdae said miserably.

Sehun took the encouragement and sat beside his teacher.

“No one will think you’re a e. You don’t even look like a predator. I’m the one that fell for you first.” Sehun’s voice soothed Jongdae.

“I’m too old for you. I already have wrinkles. I’m ugly and….,” Jongdae couldn’t bring himself to say much else, when Sehun cupped his cheeks.

“Trust me, you’re the most wonderful person I’ve ever met.” Sehun said softly. His warm breath blew into Jongdae’s face. A rosy shade faded onto his face.

“I’m afraid…” Jongdae said unsurely.

“Afraid of what?” Sehun asked slowly as he took his hands off Jongdae’s soft cheeks.

“How people will see us. How they will judge both of us. You’re handsome, you’re young, you still… I don’t know… you still have so much to grow while me…. I’m a thirty year old bachelor. What if you…,” Jongdae bit his lips as he reluctantly continued his words. Sehun waited patiently.

“What if… you leave me? What if you leave me for another guy? A younger, more handsome, more energetic guy. I’m not sure I can give you everything Sehun-ah.” Jongdae’s eyes glazed in sorrow.

Sehun caressed his cheeks softly.

“You can. You always can. I don’t need anything. You are the only thing I need. I already chose you. I won’t turn to another guy. You have my word.” Sehun’s voice flattered Jongdae’s heart.

“So, will you date me now?” Sehun asked again, almost pleading. His brown orbs staring into Jongdae’s glazed eyes.

“Yes.”

And with those powerful words, Sehun pulled the older into a warm embrace….

***

3 years ago….

Sehun finally graduated from high school. He thanked all of his teachers. Especially Mr. Kim Jongdae. Sehun already had set his heart on him. He likes his teaching way, he likes his cheeky grins, he likes his heavenly voice, he likes everything about Kim Jongdae.

Sehun walked carefully as he approached Mr. Kim.

“Hello Mr. Kim!” Sehun greeted.

“Oh Sehun! Congratulations for graduating!” Jongdae smiled and his eyes glinted.

“This is for you.” Sehun gave a lily that he had plucked out from the school’s park.

“Thanks. You really know my favourites.” He inhaled the scent of the flower.

“Mr. Kim… I really like you. No… I love you. Will you date me?” Sehun blurted and immediate blushed, while Jongdae froze.

“What? I’m sorry Sehun, I think I misheard.” Jongdae’s eyes widened with the sudden confession.

Sehun scratched his head awkwardly. “I think I love you. So, what’s your answer?”

Jongdae laughed casually to hide how his heart was beating faster. “You’re just 19, you don’t know what love is. You’re just thinking things.”

Sehun felt offended. “Age is just a number. Relationships should be judged  on maturity, not the age difference.” He pursed his lips.

Truthfully Jongdae had given a little side of his heart to Oh Sehun. But he doesn’t want to accept it. He likes Sehun’s brown orbs, his sharp jawline, his cute little lisp… without realizing, he actually liked everything about Oh Sehun. He can’t. I will darken his future. He thought sadly.

“Come to me after 3 years, proved it to me that you still love me and I’ll considered it.” Jongdae finally spoke.

Maybe this is the best answer. Sehun will forget about him. He’ll be dating someone his age.  Jongdae almost regretted his words.

Sehun nodded eagerly. “Fine. After 3 years I’ll visit you and I won’t accept any other words besides ‘Yes’.”

***

Now…

It’s fate playing with them. Jongdae, straighten his legs on the couch as he read his favorite book when he heard the doorbell ringing.

Jongdae closed his book and walked to the front door.

“Good evening, Mr. Kim!” A tall guy with brown orbs and a sharp jaw bowed to him.

His stomach felt a tingling sensation as if thousands of butterflies were fluttering about when he saw the tall guy standing in front of his door.

And Jongdae finally realized, how much he wanted this day to come since 3 years ago…

***

CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE HOW THIS GIF MADE MY LIFE LOL *THROWS CONFETTI*