1/1

Best Friends

Kibum and Jonghyun have been best friends since forever.

They met in kindergarten, back when Jonghyun mistook Kibum for a girl, and Kibum punched him square in the face. Kibum got in trouble for it, and kept ignoring Jonghyun until Jonghyun apologized. Then, he asked Kibum if they could be best friends, and the latter agreed.


Kibum and Jonghyun have been best friends since forever.

That's why the current situation isn't all that unfamiliar.

"Hurry up, we're gonna be late again!" Jonghyun furrows his eyebrows, eyes traveling back and forth from the clock to Kibum. He's standing in front of his window, backpack slung on one shoulder, staring at Kibum in worry.

"I can't help it, Jonghyun!" Kibum is standing in front of his own window and trying on the fourth outfit this morning, which consists of a black T-shirt and the tightest metallic jeans, numerous colorful bracelets on his right wrist and a pink watch on his left.

Jonghyun notices that there are barely ten minutes left until the bus is supposed to arrive, and the stop is about five minutes away if they run. He knows that Kibum doesn't run, though. Drastic times call for drastic measures, Jonghyun thinks as he jumps out the window and lands right in front of Kibum, successfully scaring him less. That wasn't his intention, but he still appreciates the surprised look Kibum has on. Jonghyun doesn't utter a single word and he just grabs Kibum by the wrist, leading him out of his room and not forgetting to grab his backpack on the way out.

"Hey! I couldn't even straighten my hair, !" Kibum keeps whining on and on while getting dragged to the bus stop by his best friend.

They reach their destination and Jonghyun notes that they even have four minutes to spare. They sit on the bench, Jonghyun pulling out his earphones and Kibum fixing his hair (not that there's actually anything to fix) while using the front camera of his phone as a mirror.

They see a bunch of black people walking back and forth, carrying what Kibum counted more than six bags, clearly full of luggage. They spare them a glance, but neither of them question it, as it's none of their business. Though Kibum can't help but overhear a conversation from some kids next to them, obviously students by the backpacks slung over their shoulders, a conversation which falls on deaf ears in Jonghyun's case - courtesy of Fall Out Boy blasting so loudly through his earphones that the old lady next to him can definitely hear it.

All it takes is for Kibum to register the N word (coming from an asian kid, mind you) and "they better leave", to have him fuming and stomping up to them.

When Jonghyun pulls out an earphone and looks up to show a picture of his dog, Roo, to Kibum, he notices the black-haired boy going up to the unknown students and sighs because Kibum's getting into trouble. Again. And Jonghyun will be the one delivering the punches. Again. Kibum's giving them a speech about why they are, I quote, "racist and offensive chicken friend s", and listing out numerous reasons on why he should feed them to Jinki. 

Jonghyun, for once, is amused by the situation - Kibum with his hands on his hips and having three boys begging on their knees for forgiveness - despite the fact that they missed the bus while Kibum was educating the aforementioned 'racist and offensive chicken fried s'.


Kibum and Jonghyun have been best friends since forever.

That's why they arrive to class late together, and why they get a detention together. Staying after school classes for three hours doesn't sound that bad if it's going to be the two of them, they think.

During Math, they sit together (like they do in every class). It's not a surprise that Kibum gets the seat next to the opened window, the breeze slightly cooling him off. Jonghyun though is sweating like a pig and fanning his face with his notebook.  They're both clearly distracted - the usually diligent Kibum is staring out the window and chewing on the tip of his pen; it's quite obvious that he's bored and not paying the slightest attention to whatever the teacher's going on about.

Jonghyun takes the moment to admire Kibum's profile without worrying about being caught.

Kibum and Jonghyun have been best friends since forever, but maybe Jonghyun wants them to be something more.


On their way home, the black-haired boy yet again took the seat by the window. Jonghyun notices that Kibum's dozing off. Kibum's head sways until it falls against the window. Jonghyun knows that if he were to let his head stay against the glass, the boy would wake up with a strong headache. The blond sighs and gently grabs the side of Kibum's head, letting it fall against his shoulder. Jonghyun's hand stays on Kibum's dark locks until they reach their stop and he has to wake Kibum up.

They don't know that the female students who were sitting across them think that they make a cute couple.


Kibum and Jonghyun have been best friends since forever.

That's why when Jonghyun catches a cold, it doesn't come off as a surprise to Kibum.

Kibum blames it on the unhealthy instant ramen Jonghyun always seems to be consuming, and also the lack of sleep favoured by his newfound Skyrim obsession, but Kibum still skips school just to take care of the blond male. And Jonghyun is enjoying it, he's enjoying the whole time they spend together despite the strong throbbing at the back of his head and his sore throat, because Kibum's right next to him, and despite the seemingly never-ending nagging by the younger, Jonghyun can't be happier.

"This is your own fault, I shouldn't even be taking care of you right now," Kibum keeps on babbling as he stirs the soup he just made, but all of his scoldings are tuned out by Jonghyun who simply focuses on his voice and not his words. "So you owe me one, Kim Jonghyu-"

Kibum's words are cut off by Jonghyun placing his large hand on Kibum's cheek. Kibum's reaction is nothing short of surprise and it's obvious even to the bed-ridden Jonghyun. Jonghyun still smiles.

"Kibummie, you're so warm." Jonghyun swears that his heart is going to burst out when Kibum nuzzles his cheek into the sun-kissed hand, but he doesn't let the satisfaction show on his face.

"Are you cold? Should I bring you a blanket?" Kibum places the bowl of soup on the nightstand close to Jonghyun. He brings his own hand to Jonghyun's, which is still cupping his cheek, and makes a move to remove it, but the older stops him.

"Stay here."

Kibum blames it on the fever, but there's a hopeful thought on the back of his mind that maybe, just maybe Jonghyun wants to be physically close to him.

He has no idea.

The soup Kibum made is gone-cold and wasted, but he doesn't really care, for the warm hand which never leaves his cheek.

Jonghyun falls asleep, and Kibum follows just a tad bit later.