Chapter 1

Isn't He Adorable?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Sehun was beyond ecstatic when he heard the news. He was looking forward to their impending move to Incheon.

 

So ecstatic that he cutely waddled over to their large scar, trying to help his dad move the last of the boxes as fast as his little feet allowed him to.

 

He hated Seoul anyway, especially the people there. They were all stupid.

 

 He hated the pitiful nature of the nuns at the orphanage-how they whispered loudly about how no would ever adopt him because he was a mean spirited child who liked destruction (big deal, amirite), he hated how the other kids there would make fun of him for always wearing a bowtie and he certainly hated the members of the supposedly ‘amazing’ Kim Family, other than his father of course.

 

The Kims were mean people and had been nasty to him as soon as his father brought him home, telling him about how he ruined his dad’s chances of ever finding a suitable woman to marry him and how he was just too scruffy and ill-mannered to be part of their family.

 

You could only ever be born a Kim, they had said.

 

Sehun usually wouldn’t have given two s about it, but they were quite insistent on being snobby and rude. So he gave his ‘new family’ a taste of their own bitter medicine.

 

Sehun had always known he was far more intellectually superior than anyone thought he was and it was for that very reason he was never really caught for all the trouble he caused, only heavily suspected.

 

Sure, he might have done things like given the family dog a bar of hand soap to eat, vacuumed up the fish from the fish bowl and put laxatives in the Chuseok family dinner but overall he considered it grossly unfair when his father’s family glared at him, waiting for their turns in the bathroom, demanding the man choose between his own blood family or Sehun.

 

 

Let’s just say his father made the right choice in the end.

 

 Kim Jongin was finally happy, putting away the last of his 28 years’ worth of life in a box ready to be shipped.

 

 He was ready for the move and change of scenery, wanting to start over again with his son.

 

Thinking of Sehun always made his heart feel extremely warm and happy. The little 7 year tyke was the sunshine of Jongin’s life and he knew it.

 

Adopting a child was something Jongin had always wanted to do since a very long time. His own father had never had time for him after his mother’s death, creating a lonely childhood and Jongin wanted to make sure that he would give everything to his child and be there for him always.

 

Meeting Sehun was in itself, a completely by chance situation.

 

He remembered going to the local church orphanage to see and play with the children as he always did, when he saw a tiny scowling blond haired child being told off by a nun in the corner of the courtyard.

 

Something about the child just clicked with Jongin. He knew that the boy was troubled and had problems with authority figures, but seeing how wet his eyes became and how his tiny fingers played with the red bowtie at his front touched Jongin entirely.

 

The little boy captured Jongin’s heart without even meaning to.

 

A couple of days later, Sehun was legally adopted by the man. His first impression of the man was quite nice, his warm aura and friendly face putting him at ease already. He went up to Jongin and put his arms around the taller man’s torso, lisping out an adorable “Thanks Mister for choosing me”, making the man coo at his cuteness.

 

 As Jongin drove further away from the orphanage, he was pleased to see Sehun turning back and saying his goodbyes to his former home and friends. If Sehun missed them too much, maybe he’d bring him back to play with the other little kids.

 

What Jongin didn’t realise was that Sehun was giving the nuns at the gate a stink eye and firm middle finger as they were driving past. God knows he couldn’t get away from the wretched place any faster.

 

Jongin knew how much his parents (read: father) hated the idea of him getting a child. It wasn’t even a matter of him having a child, but rather of adopting one.

 

“You’re much too young”, “Who will marry a single dad?” etc. were the common things he heard from his family, as they glared at little innocent Sehun for ruining Jongin’s life.

 

Jongin didn’t even know why his family was bothered so much.

 

Even though his family was extremely rich, Jongin earned his own livelihood as a software engineer.

 

His father, Kim Jongdae was a single dad who made his name selling diet supplements to women in Korea and abroad. “Fat people are the future.” He always said.

 

He was ruthless when it came to business and ambition and thrived on expansion of his endeavours.

 

Jongdae viewed his only son as a disappointment and was quite vocal about it. He disliked Jongin’s honest work ethic and believed that on the road to success something that little didn’t matter at all.

 

So, when he wrote his son out of his will and planned to sell his business to someone else, Jongin wasn’t surprised. To his father he had always been a bad investment.

 

He thought he deserved a new beginning, especially after getting cut off from his father and the rest of relatives after adopting a son. For him, making the decision to choose Sehun had been easy.

 

He remembered the day the whole thing blew out of proportion. The Chuseok Dinner Disaster, as the incident is now known.

 

 Sehun was being teased mercilessly by Jongin’s nieces and nephews due to his lisp and red bow tie, and it made him beyond upset to see his little boy stand by silently as they taunted him. “You’re so strange, not even your own parents loved you.”

 

When Jongin asked him why he didn’t stand up to them, he just hugged Jongin’s leg, saying he was used to it.

 

On further prodding, Sehun told Jongin all about how he was pushed into different foster homes as a child and how his family members had been extremely mean and cruel to him, his behaviour just being a reflection of their attitude towards him.

 

Sehun loved his new father and wanted to be with him. His eyes shining with unshed tears, the little 7 year old, asked in a wobbly voice, “Will appa leave me too? I’ll be good, I promise, don’t leave me.”

 

Jongin just hugged the little boy closer, comforting him. “I want Sehunnie to be himself. I love all parts of Sehunnie” he cooed.

 

From that moment on Kim Sehun realised that he finally had a family.

 

The move to Incheon was nice, Jongin made innumerable lame dad jokes along the way and Sehun just face palmed heavily as he did so. (For ex: Sehun- Appa, I’m hungry. Jongin- Hi Hungry, I’m appa.)

 

“This is it, buddy.” Jongin smiled, ruffling Sehun’s unruly hair as he let them both into their new home.

 

Jongin would be lying if he said there hadn’t been a bit of an ulterior motive when it came to moving to Incheon.

 

He wanted to settle down and have a family, especially with someone who accepted Sehun as well as him with open arms. He wanted a family of his own.

 

So as soon as he got Sehun into the elementary school nearby and made him swear not to get into any trouble, he went to the local church and got himself into the singles meet that happened every Friday, hoping the women he’d meet their would be nice and ready for a family.

 

Sehun meanwhile, started adapting to his new school quite well. It seemed that in Incheon, wearing bow ties were considered cool and nerdy chic.

 

Zitao, a sulky girl who always wore black and pink, glared at him when she first saw him. “I like your bow tie, you strange boy.”  She said, before walking back to her desk, holding her pet teddy bear close, continuing to glare at everyone who passed by.

 

They became best friends, after that.

 

Sehun especially liked his new homeroom teacher, Miss Kyungsoo. She was really pretty and quite nice. She always complimented Sehun’s bow ties and art work, and gave the class homemade cupcakes whenever they did well. She never let anyone make fun of Sehun’s lisp either-calling it unique and adorable.

 

He knew his appa had been searching for a mommy for him, and if he had any choice, he would make sure he’d find a pretty woman who made nice cupcakes like Miss Kyungsoo for his daddy. Not one of those trampy women in the church singles meet.

 

The women Jongin had been going out with didn’t appeal much to Sehun, their revealing tight dresses and garish makeup scaring him. He didn’t like it when they pinched his cheeks either. I mean come on, what was he, six years old?

 

Every time they’d coo about how cute he was, the darker his thoughts would get. No way in heck would he let such trampy women take advantage of his father.

 

It had been quite easy to take care of them, though.

 

The first was his best prank ever. Jongin had been busy putting his tie on, so Sehun had to go and answer the door.

 

“Hey cutie. Is your daddy home?” the woman simpered down at him when answered.

 

She was so pathetic and obvious, Sehun thought as he let the woman into the foyer.

 

“Are you one of daddy’s friends?” he said, managing to look extra cute as he asked her.

 

“Yes sweetie, I am. My name’s Minseok. Your daddy and I are special friends” she smiled, looking around the house to see whether Jongin was as rich as he was handsome.

 

“Oh okay, you can go up ahead then.” He said, pointing towards the staircase and Jongin’s bedroom.

 

Obviously flustered, Minseok just shook her head, insisting to wait near the door.

 

“But all of daddy’s special friends go up into the bedroom when they come” he said pouting.

 

The chubby cheeked woman glared unknowingly. How many women was Kim Jongin currently seeing anyway? Maybe this little brat of a boy would let her know.

 

“Sehunnie, how many friends does your daddy have?” she asked, her eyes narrowing as the boy scratched his tummy, a thoughtful expression on his face.

 

“Daddy’s friends come over at least thrice a week. They always take money afterwards, when they leave. Daddy’s super nice that way. He likes being generous.” He smiled; this ugly woman wouldn’t know what hit her.

 

Minseok gasped in outrage as she realised what the little boy was saying. Kim Jongin liked es?! It was shocking to say the least, wait until the rest of the ladies at the church heard about this. He would get blacklisted, for sure.

 

Her heart tugged a bit when she realised how innocent poor little Sehun was. How could Jongin do such unspeakable things when his son was around. It was heart breaking.

 

She heard Jongin’s footsteps coming down the stairs just then.

 

“Appa” the little boy screamed out in joy, “Your friend is here. I opened the door myself.”

 

Smiling at the proud expression on his son’s face, Jongin ruffled his hair. Sehun was the cutest thing ever.

 

He finally took notice of Minseok standing near the doorway and smiled at her. She was one of the cuter women at the church, and he was quite lucky to get a date with her.

 

“Hey noona, you ready to go?” he said checking if he had everything ready, not noticing the stormy expression on the other’s face as she walked closer to him.

 

Before he knew what was happening, Minseok slapped him across the face. “I will not be one of your , Kim Jongin.” The woman glared as she stomped out of his house, not looking back to see the completely stupefied expression on Jongin’s face.

 

“Daddy, where did the nice lady go?” Sehun said innocently, frowning at the open door. How dare that woman slap his father anyway? What a loser.

 

Shaking his head, Jongin strode forward to shut it before kneeling down to pick up Sehun.

 

“I don’t know kiddo. Maybe she had errands to run or something. Let’s order some pizza for dinner alright?”

 

Sehun smiled evilly as his dad went to call the pizza place. This all was just too easy.

 

The other one had been easier to get rid of, all Sehun had to do was pretend that he had fallen sick suddenly making Jongin cancel the date immediately.

 

“Sorry Yixing. I really wish I could make it, but Sehun’s feeling quite under the weather. I promise to make it up to you.” He had said on the phone, pacing up and down in his son’s bedroom, making the call.

 

Sehun’s eyes narrowed as he thought about this Yixing woman. He had thought she had been nice enough, until last Sunday after the morning service, she gave Sehun a hemp flavoured lollipop. “It’s organic and healthy.”

 

Who even thinks giving hemp flavoured candy to children is a good idea? She had been on Sehun’s hit list since then. He could not let his father be hitched to a hemp loving hippie.

 

“Appa, can you make me some soup please?” Sehun implored, doing the puppy eyed expression he knew Jongin was weak against.

 

“Sure kiddo”, he said before heading out to the kitchen. What hunnie wants, hunnie gets.

 

Sehun’s little hands scooped up Jongin’s phone that was lying on his bedside table. His dad was far too trusting, not even bothering to put a lock code on his phone.

 

He looked through Jongin’s contacts before spotting Yixing’s name.

 

He sent a text message to her saying, “Hey babe. Got out of today’s date. I’m coming over in 10 okay? Get ready for y times.”

 

For good measure, he added a winky face before he sent it. Hemp lady wouldn’t know what hit her.

 

He deleted it from the message folder before placing it back on the table.

 

Needless to say, Jongin had been extremely confused when Yixing started to ignore him after that night. She must have really offended by him cancelling, he supposed.

 

Incheon had been a dead end in terms of dating, Jongin sighed. Hopefully it would get better.

 

It in fact, did not get better but only worse because the very next day, without giving any notice whatsoever, Kim Jongdae stood smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter