Chapter I

ENDOWED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I watch a movie or a drama, instead of thinking about how cool the main actors and how evil the bad guys, I think of those people who just passing by, or looking dreamily at the cool, mouth-watering gorgeous, hot guy who finally will fall in love with this particular woman. Whom those ordinary characters be sure of -- won't fall for them.

I think of how lonely they are. Because no one notice their presence. Nobody cares.

People anyway, most of them , want to be the hero that saves the day, the prince who saves the damsel in distress. Some of them though, want to be the villain. Because the good characters are sometimes too good to be real. To sum it up, they just want to get noticed.

And I'm neither of those two.

I'm that character who appears less than a minute, or if I'm lucky, I can get more than a minute.

 

 

"Dara, table two is ready!," Mrs. Young shouts while placing two bowls of hot ramen on the counter. Her swift moves doesn't fit her big body.

The heat from the stove inside the kitchen makes her chubby cheeks turn crimson red. A towel is wrapped around her forehead to block the unceased sweats coming up from her pores.

Mrs. Young is a single mother to Su Hyun, her 15 year old daughter who also helps us here at the diner.

"Excuse me, may I have a bottle of soju please?" a young man shouts from the corner with his point finger raising in the air. A sign for me to rush and get him his order.

This place is always like this at lunch time. People shouting to defeat the noisy clings of utensils, the crowd's laughter in some tables, the loud friction of the pan and the spatula, and other commotion happening.

I'm not sure if I enjoy it or not. In fact, I had some issues with life and how it revolves.

Working in this small diner teaches me a lot about people. First, the owner, Mrs. Young, the grumpy yet kind hearted woman.

She lets me live upstair in a small storage room meanwhile she's living peacefully inside her house two blocks from here.

I'm grateful though. It's much better than dying outside. At least I won't get myself killed by a maniac. Having this kind of life after running away from home is not bad at all.

Mrs. Young, in my opinion, is a modern iron lady with dictatorship image written all over her attitude. She won't hesitate to smack my head or scold me when I make a mistake.

I'm not a person who will go silent when someone scolds me. First time Mrs.Young did that to me was the first day I worked here. I talked back, told her a demon, grabbed my things and promised myself to not ever go back to that place. Few hours later, about 2 a.m in the morning, I banged her front door and hugged her super tightly. I cried and begged for her to forgive me. I never did that to anyone. Even to my Mom.

"Here's the key. I don't want to burry your corpse in case someone kills you tonight."

"Thank you Mrs. Young. You're the best!" I was about to hug her but she immediately stepped back with disgust on her face.

"Now get out of my face before I change my mind," her husky voice sounded like a murderer to me.

I bowed and ran my off.

But then there's another hidden part inside every human. They tend to keep the weakness by acting strong outside. And I ever saw it in Mrs. Young.

I was sleeping when I heard someone's soft sob. It was Mrs. Young crying at one of the empty tables here inside the diner.

When she saw me walking downstairs, she didn't say anything until I sat down in front of her.

Honestly, I didn't like the image I saw that time. It didn't fit her. She's a strong woman. Looking at her crying and weak made me want to yell at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter