Prologue: The Beginning of the End

Blink

Blink. A blink of an eye happens in about 3/10ths of a second. It is fast. Very fast and yet long enough for something to change your life forever or even long enough for your entire life to flash before your eyes.

It had happened so quickly, in a blink. I could not really remember what had happened nor how I got here but I could recognize the feeling. I had been here before. And yet, something was slightly different about this time around. I just… could not quite put my finger on it.

Come to think of it…

Oh god… it hurts… so much… everywhere… Wha… What happened?

My memory seemed fragmented. There was a piece missing.

How did I get here…?

I tried to focus and piece together the flashes of shattered memories of the last moments before… this... but the pain was much too much.

I was still conscious. Barely. But still. Voices. I can hear voices.

“How could you, Jess?! How could you?! You know how much she means to me! I hate you! I hate you!”

Soojungie…

“I’m sorry, Krys. It’s been decided. You know it’s the right thing.”

Who…? Jess… I remember her… Krys…?

I could hardly move. It took all my energy to pry my eyes open.

“Yoongie… I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

She was sobbing hysterically.

“Th-Thank you… for everything.”

I remembered. Jess had explained everything.

I felt myself slipping.

“Jess… Y-You promised…”

I could barely make my words out but I had to.

“You have my word.”

“Yoongie... Please, stay with me. Please…”

Soojungie’s voice was still the most melodious thing I had ever heard.

I felt her fingers intertwine with mine.

I desperately wanted to hold her hand in mine but it was impossible.

She clasped my hand nonetheless and held it up against her cheek.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.”

You shouldn’t have to begin with… but I’m so glad you did…

I felt her tears stream down my hand from her cheek.

I could not hold back my own tears either.

“Jess! Stop it! Please! Just stop… I beg you…”

The pain from watching Soojungie cry was even worse than the pain my body was in.

“I’m sorry, Krys. There’s nothing I can do now. Yoona, take a deep breath. I will fulfill my promise to you.”

I wished I had more time. Just one more day to spend with her. One more hour to hold her. One more minute to look at her. One more second to kiss her.

But I did not have the time. I was already on borrowed time and if time was money, then I was knee deep in debt.

I took a deep breath and as I did so, I felt myself being pulled away...