Light in Darkness

Light in Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The life of Riae is unexplainable, unpredictable. Sitting by her desk in the late Sunday evening, Riae was packing her bag for school. High school, was something that Riae look forward to attend to with her friends in the past. But now, she dreaded going to school or even, stepping out of her house.

 

Riae was a girl whom majority adored and idolized. Never did she wanted excessive attention but being pretty and brainy just couldn't get her out of the spotlight.

 

However, her life changed in just merely a night...

 

The last day of field trip, students exhaustedly slept in the bus that was on the way back to Seoul and only two stayed awake.

 

"Yah, shouldn't we be sleeping? It's a long way back to Seoul." Riae said as she nudged her friend who was busy taking picture of the scenic night view.

 

"How can you sleep?! See the splendid night view. I don't think we'll ever have a chance to come here again any sooner." Jimin exclaimed softly as she kept her face glued on the window. Thinking that she could not argue with the overly fascinated-with-the-nightview-girl, Riae settled herself comfortably in her seat and soon drifting off to sleep.

 

For how long she had slept, Riae had no idea but the sudden roar of thunder made the bus shook and students were jolted awake, screaming out of shock and groaning out of frustration. Being naturally born afraid of thunder and lightning, Riae let out a sharp scream and started to tremble. Uneasiness spreaded throughout her body and beads of perspiration formed on her forehead.

 

Jimin grabbed Riae's hands, held them tightly and said, "Look at me Riae, breathe. Count to ten. Breathe." Breathing together in sync, Riae finally stopped trembling and was glad that Jimin is aware of her weakness but it did not stop her from flinching every single time lightning strikes.

 

For the entire five minutes, the bus was in complete silence except for the occasional shriek from students who was afraid of lightning and thunder, just like Riae. That night felt utterly cold and eerie and Riae felt extremely uncomfortable, she wasn’t able to stay in her seat without fidgeting. An ominous feeling.

 

As soon as the thought struck her, a lightning struck and the bus went over a bump roughly. Riae heart raced and her breathing uneven. She was afraid, being on the verge of hyperventilation.

 

The bus that went smoothly for a few second suddenly took up speed and glided through the highway. Skidding through in the wet tar the driver yell for everyone to fasten their seat belt for he was losing control of the bus. The screeching of tyres was heard as the driver stepped on the brake which was ineffective on the wet slippery tar. Glancing at the window, they were closed to the edge of the road and with a sudden impact with the road bumper, the bus was in midair.

 

With a loud splash, the bus was fully submerged in the river and students struggled to stay afloat. Once again, being a poor swimmer and slow reactor, Riae was stucked on her seat with her seat belt still stuck on. Thinking that it might be the last of her, Riae slowly lost her conscious from lacking of oxygen. It was then she felt something soft in her lips.

 

Transferring air to Riae, Jimin unbuckled her seat belt and pulled Riae up. Escaping the bus through the broken window, they came up to the surface roughly with the rain still pouring and the waves hitting hard. Jimin had a hard time keeping afloat as the waves strongly hit on and not to mention that she was holding on to a barely conscious Riae.

 

The waves got wilder with another crash of thunder. It was beyond Jimin's ability to carry Riae and to stay afloat. In the next crashing wave, both girls were fully submerged in the water and no matter how hard they struggle, they could not get above the water. The waves flung and carried them around roughly, leaving them unable to rise above water. Slowly, they were losing air and conscious. Looking into each other's eyes, Jimin mouthed, "Don't be scare, I will always be here. Friends forever." Riae grabbed Jimin’s hand tightly and the waves carried them aimlessly.

 

.....

 

"Ae.... Park Riae! Stay with me and breathe! Everyone clear! 1, 2, 3 clear, 1, 2, 3 clear. 1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 10..."

 

Riae woke up with a sudden shock and coughed up a puddle of salt water.

 

"Thank god. Thanks for holding on." The paramedic scurried over to his left and started pumping on Jimin's chest. However there was no response.

 

Jiae tilted her head to her right and there she laid, unmoving and paled. Her big round orbs that was once filled with warmth and light was now cold, staring right into hers and her hands tightly wrapped around Riae's. Riae shook her hands but there was no response. Tears that left her orbs finally came in contact with the sand and clearing her vision, Riae blinked once more. Facing the sky that was now cleared from the storm, Riae felt terrible for she could not scream out the pain that she was currently feeling.

 

“A-ahjussi, why didn’t you save her first?” It is a fact that Jimin was still alive at the point where they were found but the reason to why she was being casted aside was ridiculously simple. “It would be better if you’re alive.” Riae’s heart ached as she once again focused on her friend whose hand that she held was getting colder by seconds.

 

Sorry Jimin ah… I never wanted this to happen. It’s my entire fault. None of this would have happen if I didn’t grab onto your hand. I am a burden to you.

 

Blinking the next set of tears away, a figure standing next to Jimin caught her eye. Her damped hair draped till her torso. As her eyes travelled up her black figure, it landed on her half covered face. Extremely pale and hollow, the figure tilted her head and one who never guess who it was. Jimin. Letting out a deafening scream, Riae passed out.

 

A year had passed since the incident and Riae's life had turned for the worse. Her grades plummeted and everyone was avoiding her, dissing her, bullying her, especially the girls. Taking the chance of Riae being weak and vulnerable, girls started verbally and sometimes, physically, bullying her.

 

The reason? It is simple. Riae had become a mentally distorted girl in everyone's eye. After the incident, Riae started seeing things that people could not see. She would occasionally shriek in mid of classes, talk or maybe shout at nothing and cry at an inappropriate time. No one understands what she was going through. Riae, who was once the light that shone brightly, is now the darkness that many would avoid

 

With another sleepless night, Riae got ready for school. Hoping to have a fresh new start at a new environment and to start everything in a positive note, Riae left her house. Yet fate love to mess with this girl. The moment she entered the school gate, she bumped into someone.

 

"S-sorry." She said as hung her head low.

 

"Excuse me! You just- HEY! It's crazy Riae! Can't believe that you're in this school!" The crowd began to form out of curiosity and Riae was feeling uneasy again.

 

"S-stop it Hyorim." Riae timidly pleaded. She doesn't want her first day of school to end up her last. "Stop what? Actually I am surprised that you're able to make it here. Looks like your brain is not entirely screwed up." That was the last straw for Riae.  

 

Pushing her way through the crowd, Riae started running. Now that everyone knows about her, her hope of living a peaceful school life was gone. She burst into tears for not standing up for herself and for running away cowardly. She did not even bother to apologize to people whom she bumped on her way. Fleeing as fast as she could she finally crashed into someone. Falling onto the ground, Riae rubbed her forehead and teared even more.

 

"Oh what?!" The student turned as soon as he regained balance. "Oh hey hey hey are you alright?! A-are you hurt?" The student help her up on her feet and all Riae could say was, "S-S-Sorry...." Before she disappeared in the hallway.

 

"Yo, Bacon! What was the commotion about? It's only the first day of school." The taller male rested his arm on the shorter one as they made their way to the auditorium. "I have no idea... Was walking to the auditorium and some girl bumped onto me and fell and she cried so I asked her if she was okay but she ran off." The one named bacon explained.

 

"What?! You made a girl cried on the first day of school?! Good job Baekhyun good job." The taller one nudged on Baekhyun as they entered the auditorium with a large group of girls following behind. "Shut up Yeol, it wasn’t on purpose."

 

Riae ran till she came across a door. Opening the door, she saw a grand piano and a window. Sitting right in front of the piano, Riae cried. Her fresh new start has been bad and she lost all motivation for a better school year. Drying her tear stained face, Riae walked over to the window where a small gentle breeze blew. She looked at the vast courtyard and back at the piano. Taking in sufficient air, Riae opened and started singing.

 

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

And the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true...

 

Why didn’t her wish came true? She missed her friend, Jimin. The song was one of their favourite childhood songs where they would sing when they are unhappy. Jimin would play the piano to accompany Riae’s singing however now, the absence of her friend saddens Riae.

 

Dragging her feet to the door that she locked upon entering, Riae opened it just to see something she shouldn’t see. Jimin. With a loud shriek, Riae crouched down and trembled with fear. It is true that Riae missed her friend and wanted to see her but not in this way.

 

For a year, Riae has been experiencing similar situation where Jimin would appear out of nowhere. It was deemed as hallucinating for the first few times but the case started to turn for the worse when Riae started seeing beings other than Jimin. Those beings, called ghost, would bother Riae for certain reasons and Riae had no choice but to do their bidding for they would haunt her every night. To add on, the Jimin that Riae once knew of was no longer there. Whenever Jimin appear, she would look at Riae with hatred filled eyes and it scares her.

 

Back in school, the student name Baekhyun took a toilet break from the boring welcoming speech from the school’s principal. While walking through the corridor of the auditorium, Baekhyun heard a sweet melodious voice and yet at the same time, he felt sad by listening to the song. Being extremely curious and knowing exactly where the voice was coming from, Baekhyun took cautious and quiet steps to the music room that he frequent. Unknowingly, he started to hum the song along with the voice. Harmonizing the song perfectly, Baekhyun smiled ever so sweetly eagerly wanting to find the owner of the voice. However, the song soon came to an end and it was replaced with a sudden shriek. Turning into another corridor, Baekhyun came to first door and there he saw, Riae, all rolled up into a ball and shaking.

 

"Are you okay, er student?" He went down to give a pat on her shoulder only to startle her. "Sorry, I don't mean to scare you. Are you alright?"

 

Feeling the touch of warmth spreading throughout her body, Riae finally raised her head and with her wondering and wavering orbs, Riae fell from her feet and sat on the ground. Relief that Jimin was gone, Riae finally took notice of Baekhyun that stood before her. She stumbled backwards with an inaudible gasped and stared at him wide-eyed.

 

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun asked once more and came to realize that it was the same girl that had bumped into him a while ago. "Hey, it's you again. I am sorry for just now, are you hurt anywhere? Do you need help?"

 

Riae was baffled. Someone is talking to her normally and is concerned about her. In fact, she wanted to say that it wasn't his fault that she bumped into him. It was her fault. She wanted to tell him that she is physically fine but not mentally. But the question is how would he take it.

 

Leaving the male hanging with his questions, Riae stood up and said, "Sorry to bother you, I'll be going now." Riae started walking away and about a half a meter she turned, "And thank you." She barely mumbled but Baekhyun heard it clearly in the silent corridor.

 

"What took you so long in the toilet?" His friend whispered. "Had an interesting and mysterious encounter." Baekhyun replied.

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"Is there a problem Park Chanyeol student?" The principal spoke over the microphone that caused the entire school to burst in laughter as the principal spoke over the microphone which was being broadcasted in the auditorium. Students laughed and giggled as Chanyeol rubbed his neck in embarrassment.

 

As the boring opening ceremony came to an end, students flooded the exit to take a look at their class allocation. Riae, who was wandering around the school, finally came to the auditorium only to be pushed around by students crowding around the noticeboard. Class 1-A was what Riae saw before she headed towards the class. Upon arriving at the class, Riae once again met an obstacle.

 

“Oh! You’re allocated here? Are you sure you’ve seen it correctly? Are your eyes playing tricks on you?” Hyorim scoffed. Riae ignored her as she made her way to the back of the class where she felt comfortable however the corner seat was taken just before she could place her bag down to claim it. She had no choice but to take the seat next to it.

 

Hyorim walked towards Riae, sat on her table and said, “I don’t think you should be sitting here.” And just in time before Hyorim could do anything else, the teacher came in. “Alright class settle down. I, Miss Han, will be your class teacher for this school year. Now, before we begin, we shall do a quick self-introduction. Name and hobby please.” Students groaned as they were asked to do something’s that mainstream for all freshmen. “Let’s start with our top scorer for this batch of freshmen. Park Riae please.”

 

Riae stiffened and Hyorim scoffed, not believing that Riae was the top of their batch. Riae stood up while maintaining her gaze on her table. “M-my name is Park Riae. I-I have n-no hob-” She wanted to finished her sentences but was interrupted by a sudden hand that grabbed onto her shoulder. Her face shot up and a soft shriek escaped her lips. Riae could not move nor talk and all she could was to stare blankly at the board hoping that whatever that touched her would leave quickly.

 

“There she goes again~ Hi everyone! Name is Kim Hyorim and I was Riae’s middle school schoolmate. Her hobby is pretty weird and unbelievable. Her hobby is….. communicating with ghost/spirit, like what she’s doing now. She’s a little weird in her head as she claims she could see things that we don’t and obviously, she’s trying to attract attention here.” Hyorim sat down with a smug smile while the rest of the students stared at Riae wondering if what Hyorim said was true. “And I guess your hobby is to attract attention by gossiping?” The male that sat at the corner seat said and the class laughed. Hyorim face turned bright red as she turned to face the front.

 

To be honest, the ghost was just passing and even before Hyorim started talking, it left. But Riae was left there as her weakness was just announced to everyone. Soon, rumors will start to spread and at that moment, Riae just wanted to leave class but her legs would not move. She managed to take her seat and was not able to concentrate throughout the entire period of homeroom.

 

The bell for break rang and it broke Riae's train of thoughts. The classroom emptied within seconds leaving behind Riae and the male student who sat by the window. Ignoring his presence, Riae reached into her bag to grab her lunch box when all of a sudden the back door slide open with a loud thud to which it startled Riae and she screamed. Lifting her head up to see a familiar looking uniform, Riae let out a sigh of relief.

 

"Gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know someone other than Sehunnie is here... Hey! It's you again! Remember me?" Yes, Riae remember him, the guy that talked to her normally and did not find her actions weird.

 

"Baekhyun hyung, Chanyeol hyung. What took you so long? I'm hungry." Sehun asked as he fist bumped them. "Excuse you big baby, our classroom is located a level above you and it takes time for us to squeeze through the crowd to come to your class which was unfortunately at the opposite end from the cafeteria. And wait?! Byun Baekhyun! What happen in the morning and how did you know her when I don't even know you know her?" Like a bullet train, the student named Chanyeol ranted. Before Baekhyun could even open his mouth to say something, Riae had taken her lunch box and headed out. She turned around and slides the door closed but not before taking another glance at Baekhyun.

 

The way he smiled at his friends enchanted her. His smile was genuinely bright and cheerful. If one could exaggerate, it would be the light that brightens up the darkness. That was what Riae thought as she tightly shut the door behind her.

 

A few weeks had passed and Riae can't help but to notice Baekhyun's bright character. He would often visit their class to see Sehun and he never a fails to acknowledge Riae's presence much to many females dislike. Riae had found herself staying back in class to have her breaks and would openly listen to their conversation which she finds it amusing. The boys had no objection in letting Riae to stay in class for they know that she's not like any other girls in school who would disrupt and disturb them of their peaceful break.

 

Occasionally, Riae caught herself staring at Baekhyun whenever he smiles or laugh. The way his mouth shapes a rectangular when he laughed loudly draws her in. She would also mentally catched him when he plays a prank on his fellow friends. However, all these little glances didn't go unnoticed by Baekhyun.

 

He would find himself glancing at the female from time to time and whenever their eyes met, there was this fuzzy feeling in his tummy that made his heart do somersaults. From what he knew from Sehun, Riae is an extremely quiet girl who doesn't speak much but is smart and diligent. This time, Baekhyun unknowingly glanced over to Riae while having his bread still half-chewed in mouth. Riae was unexceptionally stiff and her orbs were wavering. Her fists were tightly clenched and she shut her eyes so tightly that her brows almost met.

 

Worried, Baekhyun was worried. He stood up, went over to her desk and asked, "Hey there, are you alright? Do you need to get to the infirmary?" However there was no reply from Riae. "G-guys, I think she needs help. Help me get her up so we can bring her to the infirmary." The rest agreed as they witnessed how pale she had turned.

 

"N-no. I'm fine. Thanks for your concern." The fact the Riae had spoken surprised the males and Riae was in fact not fine at all. With the female school ghost that stood beside her and staring down at her, Riae was not fine at all.

 

Baekhyun was sure that she was not alright. He gently brushed away her hair that was forming a curtain in front of her eyes and obstructing his way, and placed his warm palm on her forehead. This little action of his startled Riae causing her to flinch as she leaned back to see the owner of the warm palm. “Are you okay?” Baekhyun asked. The words repeatedly played on her mind like a broken record. It has been long since someone had showed concern about her and that made her melt from warmth, forming a genuinely soft and gentle smile on her face. That reaction was something that Baekhyun did not expect. He was taken aback by the warmth of the smile which causes butterflies to flutter wildly in his tummy. Turning beet red, Baekhyun attempted a fake cough which, of course, didn’t go unnoticed by his friends who slowly retreated back to their seats, resuming their lunch.

 

Riae, too, witnessed Baekhyun going from pink to red and she wondered why. However, to her, whatever the reason was, she finds the red Baekhyun extremely cute. Realizing what she had just thought, she shook her head wildly and hurriedly escaped to the washroom before Baekhyun could witness the pink pigment on her cheeks. After much cooling down in the washroom, Riae returned to the classroom and much to her disappointment, it was empty. Not really.

 

The female ghost had reappeared and she was floating above a table. Riae knew she needed her to fulfil a certain task but Riae pretended not to have notice her. To be honest, Riae was scared to death. One would never know what task they would request for and Riae was afraid. Thinking that the ghost would eventually give up on her, Riae returned to her seat and began reading up for her next lesson.

 

For the entire day, Riae tried hard to concentrate and avert her attention from the ghost but it wouldn't leave her alone. Out of nowhere, the ghost would appear in front of her causing her to be jumpy. Occasionally she would let out a little light shriek that made everyone turn their head. Finally exhausted from all the sudden scares, Riae decided to listen to her request.

 

The sky had darkened and crowds were starting to disperse. Baekhyun, who was on his way home after a hearty dinner with his friends, saw Riae walking towards a building and knowing that she doesn't live there and being curious at the girl, Baekhyun zipped up his jacket and followed Riae.

 

Holding a pendant that was dangling from her palms, Riae came to a stop at high rise building. The ghost pointed to the top and Riae had no choice but to take a shaky step into the building. Luckily for her, the security guard that was supposed to be present was not at his desk, Riae slipped into the elevator and punched the last button. Finally arriving in front of the apartment, she took a deep shaky breath before pressing the doorbell. Opening the door and greeting her was a relatively good looking male.

 

"Who are you?" The male asked. "Jung Joomin sunbaenim right?" Riae asked with her head down. "Yes and you are?" Riae was hesitating. She was afraid of what would come next.

 

"Joomin ah, who's there- YA! Why is there a girl here?!" The female ran out from the apartment and she held Riae by her shoulder. "Who.are.you?" The pressure on her shoulder tightened and Riae winced. "Stop it Jihyun. She's my hoobae." Joomin defended. "I know. But why is she here." Jihyun did not realize but she had held Riae a tad too hard.

 

"Before you continue, I suggest you let go of her." A gentle touching hand landed on Riae's other shoulder and for some reason Riae felt relief and shocked at the same time when she saw a familiar face.

 

Surprise at another party's appearance and the good looks that complimented him, Jihyun took a step back, not to forget to adjust her outfit before introducing herself. Ignoring her existence, Baekhyun greeted Joomin.

 

"Hey Baek, what brings you here this late?" Joomin asked. At that moment, Baekhyun suddenly remember what was doing and he needs to find a valid reason for being in the building. "Uh uh... Oh. You didn't turn up for school and since I was nearby I thought I could just take a look. Haha." Baekhyun awkwardly laughed as he took a few glances at Riae. He didn't want Riae to think that he was stalking her or anything.

 

"Before y'all continue, we have to settle this girl over here." Jihyun pointed her pointy manicured index at Riae who could only hang her head low. "What you doing here and what business do you have with my fiancé?" Baekhyun's jaw dropped as he heard the word and before he could comment, Riae held her hand out in front of Joomin.

 

"Han Minji." She whispered as she dropped a key shaped pendant. The male that stood before her froze as he heard the name. "H-how..." Without further ado, he dragged Riae into the apartment and Baekhyun followed. Jihyun was left standing outside trying to comprehend what was happening. Joomin grabbed hold of Jihyun's bag and passes it to her telling her to head home before shutting the door completely.

 

"Tell me how is she? Why do you have this? What happen to her? Where is she now?" Joomin bombarded Riae with questions which Riae had no answer to. "One by one Joomin." Baekhyun commented. For some starnge reason, Riae always felt at ease with Baekhyun around. She turned to him and gave him a thankful smile which made the latter's stomach flipped with happiness. An awkward cough overcame his mouth to cover the upcoming blush.

 

"I-I don't know her." Riae dropped her head even lower. "She wanted me to convey this....." Riae took a deep courageous breathe and stood up. "Jung Joomin! It wasn't your fault so STOP blaming yourself and continue with life! Last thing, the Jihyun girl is not for you." Riae breathe and stared warmly at Joomin as she continued, "Min ah, I really never blamed you for anything instead, I want to thank you for giving me such wonderful memories that I will never ever forget. I love you." With that, Riae finally said what she was told to say.

 

Knowing that what she just did was ridiculously weird, Riae ducked her head and went straight for the door not forgetting to apologise for her rude behaviour leaving behind the two boys with their mouths widely agaped. Holding onto the door knob getting ready to leave, she was stopped in her steps by Joomin whose eyes were moist.

 

“I-I don’t know how and what but I really really thank you for this. Knowing this made me feel a lot better and …” Joomin smiled as he look up, “Tell her, I love you too Han Minji.” For the first time ever since Riae possessed this special ability, a ghost smiled at her. She could feel Minji’s sincerity in thanking her for her help before she vanished into thin air like any other ghostly spirit would do.

 

Again, for the first time, Riae felt extremely grateful that her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter