☜ In The Darkness ☞

The Haunting

12.40 am, the school.

     It was pitch black everywhere. The corridors, the hallways, the classrooms were all deserted. Once a while faint footsteps could be heard, but no one could be seen...

     "WUAGGHH~!!!"

     "Whoa nice mask! Not bad Spence," Aiden reached for the mask and put it on himself.

     "How was it? Was I scary enough?" Spencer straightened his hair down.

     Aiden took off the mask slowly. He didn't like this idea, but he couldn't disobey Nathan. He didn't like this feeling that was building inside him, something nerve-wrecking when midnight fell upon the school. The school was big, big enough to hold an army and when it's dark, it resembled an abandoned fortress. In his mind he could imagine spirits of the dead walking on the school's field, marching about, wandering aimlessly around. He shook his head.

     "Why do I think this school is suddenly... eerie?"

     Nathan rubbed away the goosebumps on his hands. "Maybe because it's midnight, and grossly freezing..." He rubbed his hands together. "Listen up, we gotta make sure our plan runs smoothly. So first checkpoint, I'll wait for him at Class 2-4. We'll put the Coke on Level 3, the next checkpoint where Aiden'll wait for him. After that he'll probably run, so Spencer'll be waiting for him at the last checkpoint, on the staircase. Don't spoil this guys."

     Aiden and Spencer obediently nodded.

     Spencer went to the window and took a peep through the blinds. A figure wearing the school's uniform was striding through the front field of the school, heading towards the main building. He was clutching a flashlight in his right hand, and a video cam recorder in his left hand.

     "Hey guys, he's here!" Spencer alerted the rest.

     "What? No way, I thought he'd chicken out of this," Nathan and Aiden rushed to the window, and saw Jordan shining his flashlight from right to left.

     "Hmm, he really came. Seems like we underestimated him."

     Nathan looked from Aiden to Spencer. "Call me if anything goes wrong."

 

▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

 

Level 3.

     Aiden pushed the door open. He slipped into the empty classroom and closed the door behind him. It was dark inside, but Aiden could make out the outlines of the objects inside. Enough for him to look around.

     He slowly made his way to the teacher's desk, looking from right to left and right again, swinging his hands idly. Aiden was trying to calm his nerves, at the same time trying to adapt to the dark environment surrounding him. As he neared the teacher's desk, he leaned his body forward and straightened his hands on the edge of the desk.

     Suddenly, his hands slipped from the edge, and he was falling, face forward, to the floor.

     BAAMMM!!!

     "Yowchh~!"

     Aiden's right forearm hit an opened drawer with a loud noise that echoed through the classroom.

     "Darn it, ugh!" He rubbed his forearm thoroughly. A red mark began to appear on his injured spot.

     "This is all your fault, Jordan Kim!" He swore through gritted teeth.

     Not far from him, a pair of eyes were silently watching his every movement.

     Little did he know.

 

▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

 

     TAP. TAP. TAP.

     Nathan tried to walk as noiselessly as he could, but his footsteps kept on echoing through the deserted hallway. He shoved his hands into his pockets and carefully arranged his steps.

     TAP. TAP. TAP.

     Nathan paused. Something was not right. The hair on the back of his neck was standing straight. He rubbed his neck and turned around, but only darkness stared back at him with unseen eyes. He turned back and started walking again.

     TAP. TAP.

     He abruptly stopped.

     TAP.

     The footsteps. The slight sound that echoed off the walls wasn't his. Someone, or something, was following him, tailing him from behind!

     Nathan quickly turned around, hoping to see the stalker face-to-face. His heart beated furiously. But again only darkness greeted his sight, as if playing a nasty joke on him. He turned back again, shaking his head.

     "Wuaaahh!"

     "Waaaargghhkk~!!!"  Nathan was taken aback by the sudden attack. He fell backwards to the floor, eyes bulging at the sight of the figure in front of him.

     The creature was staring down at him with bloodshot eyes, baring its yellowish teeth towards him. Its corpse-like complexion and wild, unkempt hair made it look more terrifying than the surrounding darkness.

     The creature stepped closer to him as Nathan struggled backwards. It reached for the top of its head and slowly seemed to peel its face off. Nathan braced himself for the oncoming consequences...

     "Was I that creepy???"

     "Spencer?!?!"

     Spencer held his hand out and helped Nathan get on his feet.  "I really did scare the hell out of you huh?"

     "Whatever." Nathan brushed off the dust on his clothes. "What are you doing here anyway?! Fooling around like this..."

     "Was on my way. Gosh, seriously how can you be so timid when you're the leader?"

     Nathan didn't reply. He started walking away.

     "Man, don't show this timid side of yours. Jordan'll laugh at you."

     Nathan ignored Spencer's remark and continued his steps towards Class 2-4.