Chapter ONE

THE BYUNS' EXCLUSIVE

You’re on in five, four, three, two..

Jinhwan: “My idol is this, my idol is that, my Idol Exclusive~ Welcome back to Idol Exclusive!”

Seokyung: “As you know, today our guests are Byun Baekhyun and Son Yejin and it is our pride to be able to share you an Exclusive feature about their beautiful love story.”

Jinhwan: “Right, at first we were surprised when they approved of our request to interview them. It just looked as if both were already busy with each of their careers that they wouldn’t even notice our invite.”

Seokyung: “But how lucky are we that they actually came here at Idol Exclusive.”

Jinhwan: /turns to Baekhyun who is silently observing/ “We’ll be starting the interview now.”

Baekhyun: /nods/

Seokyung: “So.. How did it all start? How did you fall in love?”

Baekhyun: /looks at Yejin fondly; chuckles/ “You see, we didn’t fall straight away. It was more of a slow and steady affection..”

Yejin: “When we were in high school, Baekhyun has always been famous with girls.”

Baekhyun: “Ey~ Aniya. It was just that I feel comfortable whether I talk to girls or boys.”

Yejin: “We were opposites. While Baekhyun went to school being the highlight all the time, I went to school with a less felt presence.”

Jinhwan: “Ah, so you were a bit like a wallflower?”

Yejin: /nods/ “And I wasn’t quite fond of crowds so I always stay away from them.”

Seokyung: “How did you meet then?”

Baekhyun: “Through a confession.” /smiles sweetly/

Jinhwan: “Jinjja? Who did the confessing?”

Baekhyun: /chuckles; shakes hands/ “No, I met her after she tried confessing to a senior older than both of us.” /looks at Yejin lovingly; smiles again/

 

[ Baekhyun’s POV ]

“Yah! Chanyeol! Where did you leave my skateboard?”

“Oh, no! Baek, dude, sorry I forgot it. It’s back at school somewhere on the bleachers of the gymnasium.”

“Yeol?! How could you? That was a present from my grandfather!”

“I know dude, I’m sorry. I just needed to run to the restaurant as fast as I can. Eomma is short on staff today. I’m really terribly sorry.”

“Aish! Arasseo, arasseo. I’ll go back and get it but if I don’t find it there, you’ll pay!”

“Arasseo! Just go and run to school now, you might still catch up before they close the school. Ppali!”

“Ara, bye.”

“Bye.”

I hung up even before Chanyeol could. I was so frustrated that he left my skateboard again. I would have let this pass quickly because well.. he was Chanyeol, my best friend. But heck, he’s left my skateboard at school twice now and it didn’t help that it was my grandfather’s gift. So it meant that the skateboard was extra special to me. Stupid Chanyeol just had to keep forgetting it.

I walked my way briskly to the path back to school, too angry to run even though it was what I was supposed to do if I want to get there in time before the school closes. Luckily, I reached school quickly and ran inside the gymnasium. My shoes made squeaky noises when I reached the freshly polished floor. The big hall was quiet and I didn’t waste any time to look for my skateboard which was luckily just sitting at the far end of the bleachers, staring at me.

“Stupid Chanyeol practicing on the bleachers again.” I muttered under my breath. I jogged up to pick it up and tuck it under my arm when I heard a faint sound coming from the storage room just beside the bleachers area. Oh no. I didn’t expect this. Should I go? What if my mom’s stories about those mythical demons disguising as humans were true? I stepped back, feeling my skin prick from my own imagination.

“Yah, Baekhyun! Are you some coward? Go ahead and face it like a man!” I quietly screamed to myself. This is why those jealous guys call me a coward. Geez. The sound suddenly stopped and I didn’t know why I was suddenly more curious about it. Slowly, a timid girl voice echoed throughout the gymnasium. It was a very pretty voice although it sounded like it was cracking from all the crying.

“Who’s there?” the voice asked.

“Uhm.. A student here..?”

The voice didn’t respond and I took the opportunity to follow where the sound was coming from.

“Don’t come here.” The voice barked and then there was a sniffle. The girl was crying.

Not knowing what to say, I just said, “I—I’m not going to hurt you..”

“Well duh, the sound of my crying nearly made you run away from fear.”

My cheeks turned pink and I stuttered a reply, “O—of course not!”

She chuckled and answered in the same sarcastic, monotonous tone, “Yeah, right.. Says the guy who calls himself a coward.”

“Th—that’s none of your business!”

“Then I am also none of your business.” She answered flatly.

“Aish! Stop being stubborn! You need to get out of here because if you don’t the school will close and you’ll get trapped here.”

“Let me be. I came here with the intention of being left alone so let me.”

Something snapped in me. She reminded me of my deceased sister, the stubborn attitude and the hard-headedness and before I could even process what was happening, I rushed in the storage room and picked her up in my arms. She thrashed and hit my back but I kept silent and carried her over my other shoulder while I tucked my skateboard under my other arm and sauntered out of the gymnasium.

I remained silent until I left the gymnasium and made my way quickly to the gate to say good bye to the guy closing up the gates. She continued moving vigorously but I kept an iron hold on her.

“Yah!! Let me down! What is your problem?” she screamed at me, her proximity to me hiking up the decibels of her voice. I swiftly let her down with an exasperated expression on my face.

“A simple ’thank you’ would suffice.” I said monotonously, not looking at her.

She scoffed, “Why should I thank you?

I looked at her and raised my brow, “For moving you out of that storage room.”

“I’d rather stay there!”

“Shut up! What if some ert comes there, huh?”

“What does it matter to you?” she snapped back and that was when I noticed that her eyes were continually getting watery and that her voice has always been cracking from pain.

“Hey..” I tried speaking softer, seeing that she was probably going through something.

“If you hadn’t come, I would’ve gotten my chance to confess to him!”

I tilted my head, “Who?”

She ignored my question, “He was supposed to come to the gymnasium! He was supposed to accept my confession! He promised!”

“Who did?”

“Luhan oppa! He said he’d meet me! He said.. he said..” her voice trailed off as her legs bent all to quickly and suddenly she was kneeling on the ground, crying her heart out. Her shoulders trembled and her hands clenched tightly into fists. She sniffed and sniffled and as she did, I felt her sorrow. I didn’t know why, I mean, I barely even knew her but for some reason.. the sight of her on the pavement crying her heart for some jerk who promised her something and didn’t keep it, I couldn’t bear to watch it.

So slowly, I kneeled down in front of her and reached my hands out awkwardly to her back, rubbing it softly. Her sniffles lessened but the pain was still there. Little by little, her crying lessened and became more silent but I didn’t say anything. Because truthfully, I don’t think that with the level of pain she’s experiencing right now, no amount of my encouraging words will cheer her up or make her feel any less worse.

“Do you know who he is?” she asked timidly.

“No.” I whispered.

“Could you do me a favor?”

I didn’t know why she was asking this from me but strangely, I feel like I wanted to do it for her, no matter what it was.

“Sure.”

“Please give this to Luhan-oppa.”

She reached out to her sling bag and slid the zipper to open it. Her slender fingers wrapped around a folded t-shirt as she handed it to me slowly. I took it and bowed awkwardly, not sure why I was bowing. I let it free from its folds and was astonished when I saw that it was not an ordinary t-shirt.

“Whoa..”

“Terrible, right?” she chuckled bitterly but I ignored it.

“This.. Is.. Awesome!!”

She looked up at me with slightly hopeful eyes, “Y—you really think so?”

Suddenly, I noticed that she was slightly smiling as well. It made me smile, too.

“Yep!” I answered cheerfully and added, “Wait.. is this what you were going to confess to Luhan with?”

She nodded shyly while tucking a lose strand of her hair behind her ear.

“But.. why not.. chocolates?”

She chuckled and this time I could detect less sadness, “I can’t make them.”

“So.. you made this..?”

She nodded again and I stared at the little patterns of the t-shirt. There were a lot of patterns but it interacted with the other patterns perfectly. There were little details on the sleeves of the t-shirt and each was perfectly done so there was not one line or curve out of place.

“Y—you.. even the patterns?”

She nodded again, chuckling shyly again. I caught a glimpse of her slightly red cheeks.

“But.. how? How did you do this!? It looks so awesome, like.. a branded t-shirt!”

“I.. I cut out the patterns from cardboard and laid it on the white shirt and.. colored it in with paint.”

“This is paint..?”

She nodded.

“B—but.. the details?”

“Hand painted.”

“This is sick!”

She was silent for a while and I thought I’d offended her.

“I mean.. sick because it’s awesome! You know, it’s a slang term for—“

“I know, I know.” She said with a slight laugh, her eyes finally crinkling with at least a little joy.

“If I was Luhan, I’d accept this in a heartbeat! This is so cool!”

She smiled weakly, “Thank you for appreciating this..”

“See? I finally got you to say thank you~” I sang, grinning, completely oblivious to the fact that we’re still both kneeling on the pavement.

“I’m not thanking you for taking me out of the storage room.” She replied, holding in her laughter.

“Either way, you’re thanking me.” I grinned again.

“Whatever.” She muttered.

I stared at the shirt again and thought of something crazy.

“Hey..”

“Hm?”

“Do you suppose.. you can make me something like this, too?”

“Huh? I only make these for special people.”

I feigned hurt but she completely ignored me. Awkward.

“How about this.. when I give this to Luhan, you make me a shirt like this as a reward for my acceptance of your favor.”

She thought about it for a moment, her eyebrows knotting in understanding. I stared at her for that brief moment and to me it seemed like a whole hour that I marveled at her effortless beauty. Even after crying when most people’s eyes would have looked puffy and awkward. She was the most beautiful person I have ever seen.

“Sure thing.” She answered after a while.

“It’s settled then!” I said cheerfully and she nodded.

“Yes.” She answered as we both stood up to our feet.

She turned to her side and started to walk away but before she could completely leave, I called her out again.

“Hey!”

She turned to me.

“What.. what’s your name?”

She tilted her head, like she wasn’t sure about whether or not she should answer the question.

“Uh.. if you don’t want to tell me your name, it’s fine so don—“

“It’s Yejin, Baekhyun. Son Yejin.”

“Ahh.. hehe... okay then..” I paused and added rather hesistantly, “Will I see you again?”

“You talked me into making you a t-shirt so.. yes.”

I chuckled and scratched my head awkwardly. Slowly, she turned again and started walking away. But I called her out again, this time, with her name.

“Wait, Yejin.”

She stopped mid-step but didn’t turn. “Hm?”

“How did you know my name..?”

She chuckled again but still didn’t turn. “Everybody in school does.”

“Oh..” was all I was able to say.

And thus I watched as she walked away into the night, away from me, away from our small moment on the pavement and our small moment together. I looked up the sky that night, vowing that the next time I saw her I would get more than just her name. Because in that short time we shared together, I was sure that I’ve felt something for her already.


Jinhwan: “So, your love story didn’t start off right away?”

Baekhyun: /nods/ “It was somewhat relieving though, at least we didn’t have to rush things.”

Seokyung: “Ah, but nowadays, students in high school already have boyfriends and girlfriends.”

Baekhyun: “Ah, geurae? Does that make us old school lovers?”

Yejin: “I don’t think so, what I think is that each love story is unique.”

Seokyung: /nods in understanding/ “I think so, too, each love story is truly different for each couple, no matter how alike they may seem.”