And Everything Comes Crashing Down

What's a Little Marriage Fraud Between Friends?

 

He doesn't have any luggage to pick up, Nichkhun assures her, as they hail a cab and leave the airport. All his things arrived a few days before him at his new apartment in Gangnam-gu. Hyojoo is thrilled to hear that, she'd still been wary that this trip would become one of the many only-temporary visits that he'd made over the last six years. She feels a little more relaxed as they pull onto the street and into the after-work rush.

The traffic is terrible as usual in Seoul, but neither of them mind that they may be wasting time and money (what with the taxi's till running), it gives them the opportunity to sit and catch up. Hyojoo gets to admire her best friend and long held crush up close for the first time in a long time, and Nichkhun gets to tell her about everything he's been up to in the time that they've been apart.

By the time they arrive at his apartment almost forty minutes have passed. He lives in a nice place, off from the main drag, but still right in the heart of Gangnam. It's a practical spot, out of the way but still close to the subway and anything else he may need. The building itself isn't very big. As she enters she notices that there is a small parking garage and there are only ten mail boxes in the entrance. It's a condominium space, she realizes as they enter the elevator. There are eight floors (parking, lobby, floors 2-6, and the roof). They get off on the fourth floor and she notes that their are only two apartments on this floor. Nichkhun punches the entry code into the keypad of apartment number six.

The interior of his apartment is very industrial and quite masculine. There are exposed brick walls, leather couches, and wood floors. The palate of the apartment is warm tones: browns, blacks, oranges, and reds. It looks very in style and it suites him well.

"This place is nice." Hyojoo comments, sitting down on the leather couch as he heads up the stairs. "Did you decide on the decorating all by yourself?"

She can hear him chuckling from the bedroom, as he changes into something a bit dressier. "No." He calls, muffled a bit as he pulls his shirt over hid head. After a few moments he comes back down the stairs, now dressed in dark fitted pants, a navy sweater, over a button-down maroon shirt. "I had some help." Khun tells her.

Hyojoo doesn't ask who helped, as she stands up from the couch and helps him smooth down the collar of his shirt over his sweater. She dials her mother over the phone as he puts on his pea coat. It's the start of fall now in Seoul and is quite chilly. They leave his apartment at 5:45 pm, agreeing to meet up with Hyojoo's mother and younger brother at a nice restaurant in Apgujeong. Nichkhun mentions that he has something important to announce to them after dinner. The statement makes an unpleasantness settle in her stomach, but it's quickly forgotten.

To her surprise, he'd been given a company car for work purposes. Heading down to the apartment's parking garage, it turns out to be a brand new, red, Hyundai Sonata. She's impressed, to say the least, learning that Nichkhun resently got his international driving license. She's only practiced driving a couple of times with her father before he died, so owning a car seems so far away to Hyojoo. She's glad Nichkhun is doing well in life.

They arrive at the restaurant only a short fifteen minutes later, before her family gets there. She and Nichkhun are lead to the table he'd already reserved and wait for them. After a few minutes the rest of their party arrives, lead by the hostess. Hyojoo's mother, is the first to sit down, across from Nichkhun. Lee Heejoo, is a forty-six year old widow with two children. She is kind, free-spirited and like a mother to Khun. She is good friends with his own mother. Kim Sanghyun, Hyojoo's younger brother, sits down last, across from his sister. Sanghyun is twenty years old and attending Seoul National University, like his sister before him. He is a smart kid, studious, and kind. He grew up close with Khun and considers him a real brother.

Dinner is quaint, quiet, and happy. But, Nichkhun has still yet to make the announcement he'd mentioned earlier. Hyojoo is nearly a her wits end, even as they progress happily through dinner and dessert. He tells her mom and brother about China about Beijing, about his lovely girlfriend, but Hyojoo isn't really listening. At the mention of Song Qian's nickname, Victoria, she perks up a little bit. But, only enough to wonder if they broke up. He moved back, after all. Even if they've been dating for five years, he wouldn't have left her if he were serious about her. If he was staying in Seoul and she was in Beijing, then they would have broken up... Wouldn't they?

"That's actually what I wanted to announce." Nichkhun says and it has Hyojoo sitting up straight in her seat. Finally!

"My family is already aware and I won't be surprised if my mom already told you, Omeoni, but I wanted Hyojoo to hear it from me personally."

There's a buzzing ringing in her ears as Nichkhun turns to her, looking a little nervous. He takes both her hands in his and squeezes them tight. "What is it?" Hyojoo questions.

"I'm getting married." And, suddenly everything around her feels like it's crashing down.