01: [B-joo] The Prince & Teddy meet the Gangster

The Teddy, The Gangster & The Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sunlight flittered through the white, full and slightly ajar curtains framing the huge window that over looked our front garden. Outside on the windowsill the small fluttering wings of a swallow could be seen as it played with its mother in the morning air.

I stretched my weak arms above my head, a soft groan leaving my tiny mouth as I rolled over and wiggled my legs until they reach the floor all the way beneath my bed. Recently, the gates that had locked me inside had been taken down… but only after mother had caught me climbing over the top of them. My bed had been a fortress surrounded by large impenetrable walls, why was it wrong to play prince and climb to the top?

I paused once my feet had landed on the soft floor; I rushed towards the door forgetting about Mr Teddy lying in front of me. My feet tangled in his bed and I slammed to the floor. My breath left me and I froze in shock for a moment before my lips warbled and my eyes filled with tears.  My nose dribbled and soon my mouth was too as I began crying, I moved my body to a sitting position as I wiped my face with my chubby hands. I heard the door opening but didn’t bother looking up as I was picked up off the floor and moved into my mother’s arms.  Her familiar smell comforted me as I threw my arms around her, the barely met behind her neck as she rubbed her hands up and down my back.

“Byungjoo, it’s okay. I’m here, baby boy.”

My sobs turned to sniffles as I snuggled closer; the swaying motion of her body calming me. I had almost completely calmed down when she decided to dictate the action that would begin my confusion, hope, love and eventually- my everything.

But as a toddler, I knew none of this as a door to another adventure was opened before me.

“Today, you’re going to preschool!”

My tears dried up completely as I tilted my head to the left, she brushed the soft brown locks from my brow as she smiled and moved to place me back on the bed, where I promptly sat down.

A slight lisp was found as I mumbled most of the words I knew, “Can I bring Mr Teddy?”

My mother bent to pick said bear up before giving him to me; I spread my arms as far as they would go before wrapping them around my friend and squeezing the bear to my chest. Mum smiled down at me, her fingers moving to smooth the crease between my brows and I moved into the touch. Her fingers ran through my hair before she cupped my cheek and kissed my forehead, creases disappearing as she confirmed that Mr Teddy would be coming on the adventure.

I turned Mr Teddy around and held both of his hands as he now sat in my lap. I raised both of his fluffy and soft hands in the air as we celebrated the upcoming challenge. I squealed and shook my legs as mum moved to my closet.

As she picked out the clothes I would be wearing for the day, she began telling me what to expect. Most of it flew over my young head, except for one thing.

“Now, Byungjoo. Even though you’re bringing Mr Teddy, you need to make some friends, okay?”

Friends?

“There will be lots of other kids at preschool too.” I raised my arms as she pulled my pyjama shirt over my head, soon replacing it with a bright red shirt with large white numbers on it. As I moved to stand on my feet so she could put the dark blue jeans on for me she patted my head, and my young self recognised sadness in her eyes as she played with my hair. “I don’t want you to be lonely...” She sighed, “My little boy needs to make lots of friends, okay?”

At this point my pants were firmly in place and I became nervous. I’d only gone adventuring by myself, who else would want to come with me? I pondered this until my shoes were on and tied up.

Suddenly, the door burst open and in came my father, bellowing in his loudest voice “WHERE IS BYUNGJOO!” I screamed in delight and raised my hands above my head, my knees bobbing as mum sought to keep me from falling over in excitement.

“Daddy! Byungjoo is here!”

“WHERE?” My silly daddy began stomping around my room, looking in silly places! When he bent over to look under the bed, I took pity on him and jumped onto his back, screaming for the hundredth time, “BYUNGJOO IS HERE!”

“Oh, there you are.” Daddy became totally calm and I patted his head as he picked me up and acted as though he hadn’t spent the longest time ever looking for me.

Daddy was definitely silly.

He kissed my head and we moved out of my bedroom towards the kitchen, my belly grumbled as I smelt eggs and toast! I smiled and clapped my hands at the feast in front of me. I was definitely a prince now! I sat down in my seat to eat my yummy breakfast as mum and dad rushed around me to get ready.

I had just fed my last piece of toast to the patient dog waiting beneath my table when I was scooped into the arms of my mother and buckled into my car seat. I shook my arms and legs as I realised where we were going. It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter