Not Her First Cry

Her Side of the Story

Chapter 2 : Not Her First Cry

 

Before Suhyun came in to the picture, Hayi and Jinhwan used to walk around the city after class. Hayi and Jinhwan were best of friends until sophomore year when they stepped up their relationship but they weren’t still couples back then. Mutual understanding was what they labeled their relationship. But that didn’t go any farther when Jinhwan met Suhyun.

Know from her cold attitude and arrogance, she never really had a friend. She would talk down with her classmates once in a while only for school matters but other than that nothing. Jinhwan was the only one to get a sentence or two from her. Hanbin, on the other hand, was Jinhwan’s cousin. The three grew up together, however, Hanbin was quite a phlegmatic and sometimes indifferent guy, similar to Hayi, and somehow the one who always left himself out of the two. Up until now, Hanbin tended to be someone who doesn’t socialize much. If he wasn’t with Jinhwan or with his girlfriend, then he’s probably alone.

Walking together for Hanbin and Hayi was once in a blue moon much more to talking. So after fifteen minutes of walking around two meters from each other, he finally cleared his throat. “Your mom was worried.”

“She’s just overreacting.”

He glanced at her then looked ahead again. “She said you’re usual dose of sleeping pills are getting higher.”

Hayi, having been tired of her mother thinking that she’s too weak, sighed furiously and stopped walking. “Since when did you become too attentive of my mother’s inquiries?”

Hanbin looked at Hayi from his shoulder then frustratingly exhales. “I don’t. It’s just; you’re looking more pathetic every single day.”

“Why do you even care? We were never that close.” she turned her heel to walk the opposite way before Hanbin called behind her.

“I don’t care about your issues.” He faced Hayi, crossing his arms on his chest. “You’re just getting a fool out of yourself when you should be smarter than this.”

For all she knew, she’s just on the right track. But somehow, Hanbin’s words made an impact on her. She looked at the shopping bag that contains the male shoe she had just bought on the floor of the car.

Because I didn’t like you enough. Jinhwan’s voice echoed in her head. She rested her head back and shut her eyes.

Maybe.

The seniors were all too excited about Jinhwan’s birthday bash later. Everyone were buzzing about what to wear and present they should buy. However, on one side of the room, Hayi was nothing but irritated. 

She's maybe a mean girl but she valued her rank on their examinations. She stood from her desk with a thud and crecks of the desk before exiting the room and finding a quieter place to read. She was about to turn to the left wing when three girls blocked her way.
She scoffed, insulting the three.

“Don’t get all too high with yourself Hayi. You’re banned from the party, I heard.”

She practically rolled her eye at the ridiculous banter. But one of the girls pushed her shoulder. “You’re scoffing now, but for all we know you will just get a way to sneak again to Jinhwan, you skunk.”

That did it. “Think lowly of me as much as you like, but don’t you think you’re also stooping down to my level with you three ganging up like that? Don’t you three have anything to do better than sticking together? That’s too cliché as the mean girls. Face me individually if you’re that brave enough.”

That made the three bulged their veins and popped out in anger. They tugged her uniform, pushing and pulling her while she pushed herself from the three’s grasp, books spilled on the floor. 

Fortunately, Jinhwan and Hanbin pulled the four apart before the crowd gathered around and stuck their nose up for a new gossip. Upon seeing Jinhwan, the three ran away as fast as they came for Hayi. 

Jinhwan came up to Hayi who was panting in anger and tried to unruffled her messy hair. He was about to reach for her hair but she slapped it away and tidied herself. She looked up at him before she turned at the seemingly worried Suhyun and leave. Albeit her messy uniform and hair, she still put her chin up as she walked. She stopped walking when she realized that she had walked down the building instead of going back to her classroom. “Aish!” she kicked the ground, furiously.

She fished out her phone from her skirt’s pocket and dialed her chauffer. But she thought that she’ll be escaping again. Her shoulder sunk in weariness, and then she’s muffling her cry. All the while she was stopping her sobs; Hanbin was standing behind her contemplating whether to approach her or not until she felt a pat on her back. She tried to back away from him but he just snatched the phone in her hand and dialed. “Hello, This is Hanbin. Kindly tell Aunt Hye-young that I’ll be the one taking Hayi home. Tha-”

Hayi had snatch her phone from his grasp before he could even hung up. “What do you want?”

He didn’t say anything instead of holding up the books Hayi forgot in her way away from the incident. She snatched it furiously before turning to walk away. But Hanbin grabbed her arms. “You’re running away again. You’re way tougher than that.”

“What do you want me to do?!” She shouted enough to make the passersby turned to them. 

“Hanbin.” Hanbin turned to see his girlfriend, Lalice, standing by the door. “What’s happening?”

“Nothing. I’m going to take Hayi home. You go with Suhyun, I’ll see you later.”

Lalice simply nodded before going in but in her eyes was worry and distrust with the girl Hanbin’s tending to.

Hayi’s head was hanging low, trying to cover her tearful face. “Why now? Why do you choose to help me now? Do you want to make everyone even hate me again when they started assuming that it was you I’m stealing now from your girlfriend?”

She looked up. It wasn’t the first time Hanbin saw this expression in Hayi’s face but it’s the first time he felt sympathy. 

Hayi wiped her tears with the back of her hands and held her head up. “I don’t need your sympathy.”

He didn’t say anything.

“Growing up together doesn’t mean that you can get to offer me your pity.” 


Hanbin got probably tired of Hayi’s stubbornness. Tucking his hands on his pockets, he looked down at the ground before looking up again at her. “No, it doesn’t. Do you think I also like this? I don’t want trouble or near any of it but Jinhwan asked. He asked me to help you.”


“Coward. Hypocrite. Tell him, I don’t need your help, or anyone’s help.”

“You just don’t know how to let go.”

That had choked her to stop her from saying whatever she wanted to retort at him. He had made a point, and she knew that. She knew her short-comings but she seldom acknowledged it.

When all that was between them was silence and awkward stare down, Hanbin took it as Hayi’s reconsidering everything. “Stay here. I’ll get your things.”

-------

No one spoke during the whole drive home. Hayi just stared out the window and Hanbin knew better than to open small talks. Up until he pulled up in front of the Lee residence, no one dare to speak. He just let her get out of the car and in to her house. 
His phone rang before he started the ignition and saw the caller’s name: Lalice.
“Yeah?”
“Did you take her home already?”
“Yes. I’ll be going back in a minute.”
“Is she alright? Suhyun’s asking. By the way, go directly to Liberito. Jinhwan’s driving us there already. We’ll be setting up first for the bash.”
“Okay.”
He took a last look at Hayi walking up the stairs from the large window before he sped away.