Chapter 16 - The Discovery

Someday Now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Discovery

 

My dreaded in-laws arrived at exactly nine in the morning and everything went into overdrive. In my case at least. They refused to let me do anything aside from finish the mango ice cream pie that I was in charge of. Well, there was really nothing major to do, as the dishes to be prepared either just need to be placed in the oven, frozen until dinner time, or allowed to sit in the kitchen table. This gave the entire family time to hang out. And this meant congregating and fawning over the younger kids who can't get enough of the kiddie pool.
 
Hyukjae was in the water supervising the kids, his dad and Mark, his sister's husband, were grilling meat and alternately taking swigs of soju, while Mrs. Lee was back in the kitchen making the last touches of the shrimp and lobster dish in the oven. The smell of it is reeking out to the pool area and I cannot wait for dinner. Seafood has always been my favorite.
 
"So, how's married life, Jem-ah?" It was Sora, my sister-in-law. She was sitting with me in the shaded area adjoining the house and still overlooking the pool. "Is Hyukkie treating you right? He has always been an atypical choice for you."
 
"I don't know… weird...," I was intrigued. I know she knows that I have lost my memories and have not been able to remember why I even married his brother. "But what do you mean, Eonnie?"
 
"You are too good for him." she said and laughed. "What I'm saying is that you probably think like he is the KPop idol whose albums you bought and concerts you go to. But now, it's all different, right?
 
"If I try too hard to put myself in your shoes, it would really be weird." She said after a long pause. "Imagine going from fan to wife and all the attachments in between."
 
"I know what you mean," I gave her a nervous smile. "I mean, all these, meeting the in-laws, you, him, the kids, it is overwhelming."
 
"One moment, he is this paper boy I only see in entertainment magazines or online, then all of a sudden, he is this real, human, breathing boy, sharing the same bed with me," I told her, remembering the first time I awoke with a shirtless boy in my bed.
 
"Now, I get to know Hyukjae aside from and beside Eunhyuk from my nineteen year old self. And the thing is, I always thought he was so hot and so awesome and so cool, but now when I am with him... It's not really the same. It is different when you can smell and see him up close, you know?
 
Sora nodded and smiled encouragingly. I couldn't stop talking to her; it felt like she truly understood. "I guess it was easy to like him before, from the distance. But suddenly, somehow, weirdly, he stopped being this amazing unattainable thing, and started being, like, just a regular boy with a weird relationship with the puffs in his hair and frequent pretend ridiculous suave talk who's just kinda meek and sweet and immune to my bossiness - then I had to basically start liking a whole different person."
 
I can feel my cheeks warming. And Sora Eonnie was suddenly hugging me now. "This is why you are my favorite sister-in-law!" she said.
 
"She's your only sister-in-law," Hyukjae was now sitting at the empty seat beside me.
 
"Shut up, Hyukkie!" I heard Sora yell at him. "You're ruining our moment, nosy git!"
 
"Noona, your nose is getting bigger when you yell at me," Hyukjae joked.
 
"You do not deserve everything Jem said of you. Hmpf."
 
"Jem said something? Tell me noona," he said and when Sora ignored him, he turned to me.

"Just check on Jae please. He was complaining of a stomachache earlier. I'll just go check on the kitchen," I told him and I was already on my feet. I still can't believe how fast I warmed up and revealed my thoughts to Sora Eonnie. We must have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter