Chapter 1

Class, Pay Attention!

Haneul took a deep breath as she make her way to the school gate. The moment she step into the school ground, the students near her took a glance at her. She didn’t notice the male students gawking at her as she passes by. The only thing that preoccupies her mind was to get to the main office.

A man greeted Haneul when she enter the main office and led her to another room. Inside, the principal was waiting for her. She stood in front of his desk and waited for him to speak.

“Hello Miss Haneul. It’s nice to meet you.” he greeted.

Haneul return his warm welcome with a smile. With Haneul’s stoic expression and elegant features, she look ready and prepare. However, unlike her appearance, she was nervous and secretly praying for the conversation to be over with.

“Did you read the information in the folder yet?” He asked.

Haneul could feel her palms sweating. She actually hadn’t read the documents due to a reason. Trying to keep a straight face, she shook her head and took out the folder from her bag. She handed them to the principal.

“I’m sorry Sir, but when I saw that they were information on my students, I decided to not look at them. I prefer to know my students by myself, not by some collected information.” She explained.

When Haneul had first seen the document inside, she immediately put it right back inside. She dislike the idea of reading them. Her students are humans, not some test animals.

The principal hid a smile. He was secretly impressed by Haneul’s determination.

“I’m sorry Haneul,” He apologized, “Here is your room number.”

She gladly accepts the piece of paper with the room number written on. She made her way out of the office and into the hallway. There were a few girls in the hallway. The moment they saw Haneul, their face scrunch up. Haneul feel a pain in her chest. This was the usual treatment she gets from girls. Even back in high school, no one approach her. All the girls seem to hate or avoid her for a certain reason. In the end, Haneul never found out the reason why.

“Excuse me, do you know the way to-”

They turn away and ignore her. It was liked she never existed. Haneul couldn’t help but sigh. It was her first day as a teacher and yet the students are already disrespecting her. She could already imagine what kind of future lies ahead of her.

Sighing, she decided to go find the room by herself. She never had a sense of direction and groan when she heard the bell ring.

*I haven’t even found the classroom yet!* she cried.

She continue to search for the room but each turn she took seem to lead her farther away. When she saw how much time had passed, she panic. It was her first day of work and she was already late.

“Yah! Let me see!”

She look around to see where the voice had come from. There were two young girls fighting for a cellphone. Haneul sighed in relief. There was finally someone who can help her. She inhale some air for courage and walk toward them. The girls stop talking and look at Haneul as she approaches them. The girls waited for her to say something.

“I’m sorry, but do you know the location of this classroom?” She asked.

She handed them the piece of paper with the room number. The two girls’ eyes widen when they saw the number. They look at each other and squeal in excitement.

“Isn’t that Kai-Oppa’s room?” One exclaimed.

“Oh my god! This is a good excuse to go see them!” The other added.

Haneul look at them in bewilderment.

*What is so exciting about my classroom?*

The girl led her to her classroom. The farther she go, the more she notice how isolated the room was. There were no longer any classrooms near them and they took many twist and turn until they arrive at a room. As she got closer, she notice the Graffiti on the wall. Everything seem to scream at her that they are leading her to the wrong room.

She thanks them once she was in front of the room.

“Thank for taking me here.”

She thought that the two students will leave but they stand their ground. She gives them a questioning look.

“Sungsaenim, can we see them before we go?” One of them pleaded.

Haneul thought for a while but she knew that the students were skipping class.

“No, you two should return to class.” She suggested.

The girl’s expression immediately changes. One of them rolled her eyes and the other snorted.

“Are you keeping them to yourself?” one said.

“Trust me, you won’t last long. Every teacher hired for oppas end up quitting in less than two weeks. You’re the eighteen teacher hired.” the other explained.

The two girls left after scowling at Haneul. It was just the beginning of the school day and it was already bad. She sighed when she look at the door. There was huge red letters painted on the door. It read, “KEEP OUT!”

She was about to knock the door but realize that she was a teacher. She laughed at her own stupidity. Before entering, she straightens out her clothes and fix her hair. As a teacher, she wanted to look presentable.

When she step into the room, she heard a whistle. She glance and saw a boy with an shirt, revealing his chest. She blushed at his chest and look away. Before she look away, she notice his messy and silver hair, as if he had just gotten out of bed.

As soon as she got to the front of the class, she realized there were only four students present. Worst of all, they were all males, a type of species that Haneul had a hard time getting along with.

*Where is everyone?*

She scan the room. The boy from before was looking at Haneul in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. She look away from him when she saw him his lower lip. She doesn’t know why but looking at him was disturbing. So she scan pass him and saw a blond hair boy. He was laying his head on the desk and was snoring silently. The next boy was a boy with chubby cheeks and smiling eyes. The second their eyes met, he shot her a smile. The last boy was a stern-looking boy with glasses on. He was reading a book and did not seem to care about Haneul’s presence.

Haneul cough to gain their attention but to no avail. The only students paying attention to her was the chubby cheeks boy and the silver hair boy. As she look at the silver hair boy, she notice his silver hair and her attention was drawn to everyone’s else hair color.

*Is today some kind of hair day?* She thought.

There was a silver hair boy, a brown hair boy, a blond hair boy and a black hair boy. It was odd to her that such a prestigious school will allow students to dye their hair.

The silver-hair boy snaps her out of her thought.

“Sungsaenim, what is your name?” he asked.

“My name is Lee Haneul but because I’m your teacher, you must call me Miss Lee.” Haneul instructed.

“How tall are you?” the chubby-cheeks boy excitedly asked.

Haneul answered him and the two boys began bombarding her with questions liked it was an interrogation. Soon the conversation headed toward an unexpected direction.

“Miss Lee, are you married?” The silver hair boy asked.

By now Haneul had learn that the silver-hair boy name was Kai and the one with chubby-cheeks was called Xiumin.

“No.” Haneul answered.

“Are you currently dating someone?” Xiumin asked.

The blond hair boy woke up from his nap because of the loud questions. He rub his eyes and stare at Haneul before laying his head back down.

“Are you still a ?’ Kai suddenly asked.

“Ye-Hey! That was an inappropriate question!” Haneul told him.

The way he asked the question seem so natural that she was caught off guard. She blushed in embarrassment. She was so close to answering the question. In her whole life, she had never dated before.  Heck, she never even hold hands with a guy!

She didn’t like the question that was asked. It was too personal and was an inappropriate question. It shouldn’t have been asked in the first place.

In the end, she scowl at Kai. Her cute scowl only made Kai want to more. Unexpectedly, the glasses boy had his attention away from the book when the inappropriate question was asked.

Haneul pointed at Kai and scowled, “No more inappropriate questions coming  from you. You better button up your shirt unless you want to get in trouble.”

She didn’t even know how to get him in trouble. Her head was spinning because of the position she was in. Her threat was just an empty threat. There was no way she can get him in trouble when she doesn’t even know how.

*I hope he doesn’t know it’s an empty threat.* She prayed.

Kai burst out laughing as soon as he heard her threat. Inside, she began to panic.

 

*Does he know it’s just an empty threat?*

She doesn’t find it funny about getting him in trouble though.

*Shouldn’t he be scare?*

Kai stop laughing and lean forward on his desk. His face turn cold and he stated, “Sungsaenim, just FYI, we are here because we’re in trouble.”

Haneul furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She didn’t understand what Kai was talking about.

The room grew silent until Xiumin suddenly slam his desk and asked, “Ah! Did you read the packet?”

“What packet?” Haneul asked.

“The one that is given to every teacher that had to become our homeroom teacher. Weren’t you handed a packet of information about us?” The glasses boy asked.

He had place his book on his desk and was now interest in the conversation. Even the sleeping male had his head up for Haneul’s reply.

“Yes, it was handed to me but I chose not to read it. Sorry, is it something important?” Haneul honestly replied.

“Why not?” Kai asked.

“Why what?” Haneul asked in confusion.

“Why did you not read the documents?” Xiumin  pressed on.

Haneul didn’t want to tell them that it was because she wanted to know them personally, not from information. It sounded too cheesy. Instead, she shrugged her shoulders and half lied, “I wasn’t interest in it. I thought it was my choice to read it or not so I choose not to.”

She didn’t answer the answer completely but everyone seem satisfy. She saw a smirk forming on Kai’s lips as he lean back on his chair. Xiumin happily smile at Haneul. She was now wondering if it was a good choice that she did not read them.  When she saw the content expressions on their face, she knew she made the right choice.

“Don’t ever read it.” The blond boy said.

It was the first time he had talk so she was surprised. He look at Haneul so Haneul had no choice but to nod and agree with him.

“Just burn it.” He added.

Haneul flinched at his bitter tone.

*What’s in the documents that make them hate it so much?* She thought.

Now she was curious to know what was on the documents. However, she knew that reading the documents wasn’t a good thing. She chose to not read it so she must abide by her decision. Her students will hate her if she ever read it.

Now that everyone’s attention was on her, she decided to reintroduce herself.

“I already introduce myself before but I’ll say it again. Hello, my name is Lee Haneul.”

Without her knowing, not reading the documents was one of the first step to winning her students’ hearts. Out of all the eighteen teachers, she was the first one who did not read the documents.