Chapter 3

No More Strangers
Eunji laughed at how similar they were.
 
"Hey come on, Howon. Eat." She said her voice softening. She talked never like this to strangers before.
 
"How do you know my name?" He asked surprised.
 
"It's written on your bag." She pointed out the obvious.
 
He looked at her. He took the biscuits from her and began to eat. 
 
"Whatever thanks." 
 
He said throwing the packet at her and laughed.
 
She felt angry again."That was not funny. Hmph! "
 
-0-
 
One hour later she felt the lights were being . The atmosphere felt abnormal. 
 
"Urgh why are they switching on the lights?" Hoya said bitterly.
 
"This must be your idea. Did you tell them to?" Hoya asked her.
 
"Shut up, look forward I think something is wrong." She gasped.
 
They both became very quiet all of a sudden.
 
-0-
 
Four masked men were moving around them. Eunji gulped but stayed strong. Her eyes met Hoya's and they were both feeling numb.
 
"Stay quiet if you don't want to get shot." One man shouted.
 
 
One of the masked suddenly went near them and hit a guy two seats away from them. The man was trying to make a call.
 
"Give us your cellphones." He shouted ferociously.
 
Hoya handed him his cell phone. The guy was looking at Eunji. "Hey pretty girl." He said scanning her. She shot back a fiery look ready to punch him. She suddenly forgot to be scared instead her anger had taken place. Hoya took the phone from her hand and handed it to him. 
 
"Don't give them an excuse to come at you." He whispered.
 
"I am not scared of them." She replied back. Hoya did a shhh at her. She sat back crossing her arms. 
 
The men were walking around with their guns in front of them. Eunji looked at them properly. Two of them were short and thin. She could easily take them down. But the others who went to the other compartment had a strong built. 
 
"We should fight them. We shouldn't sit here like cowards." She muttered. She didn't know what she was saying.
 
" What!" He almost spoke aloud.
 
One men looked at them and Hoya straightened up.
 
"Are you insane?  " He whispered. 
 
"No seriously. You look strong , like you can fight too." She replied fast.
 
"That means you totally checked me out." Hoya said smiling slyly at that situation.
 
"What do you mean? Shut up! This is not the time to think like that!" She said hitting his foot.
 
"Ouch" He said in pain. 
 
The masked man with green shirt came and stood beside them. He stood still. They shifted in their seats uncomfortably.
 
When the man walked away, they gave a sigh of relief.
 
"I feel like I am in an exam hall and we are planning to cheat for the answers." Hoya said being tensed again.
 
"Yeah and they are like the invigilators." Eunji whispered.
 
One passenger stood up to go to the washroom.
 
"Sit down!" They barked.
 
"How dare you get up without our permission" They hit him hard on his head. Hoya began to feel angry and slowly his fear was escaping.
 
The waitress was standing at the corner almost shivering. All the passengers had fear in their eyes. Hoya was looking straight. Eunji looked at him. Nobody knew what he was thinking.
 
The man who was looking at Eunji came back again. 
 
"Hey miss what's your name?" He asked.  Eunji glared at the man with utmost disgust.
 
He tried to cross Hoya and go near her but Hoya was stopping him. The guy tried to push Hoya's hand but Hoya stood up.
 
"Hey!" The man shouted at him.
 
"Back off." Hoya said getting angry.
 
"What is your problem? Is she your girlfriend?" He laughed.
 
Hoya looked at him with a piercing glare. The man moved back a little.
Another man came there pulling him, "We need to stay alert. We have got the money already. We need to get down on the next station."
 
He looked at them laughing, "Lucky you or else I would have shattered you into pieces."
 
Hoya clenched his teeth. Eunji held him back. They guy laughed at them again and went away.
 
"Did you just try to protect me?" Eunji asked him amazed. 
 
"Not at all. He was just..getting on my nerves." Hoya said avoiding her eyes.
 
"You are not as bad as you looked at first you know." Eunji said suddenly impressed.
 
Hoya blushed and laughed at her.
 
"You are more prettier than you looked at first you know." Hoya complimented her. Then he put his hand over his mouth. What was he saying? The atmosphere was weird.
 
They awkwardly looked away from each other. Another man strolled past them.
 
After a few minutes he walked away.
 
"Anyways I heard them talking. They were saying there is only one man with the driver." Hoya suddenly whispered lowering his head.
 
"Huh?" Eunji looked confused.
 
"We both will die with our tempers at this rate. I decided to act on it. You are right we should do something."
Hoya said , his face showed how serious he was.
 
Eunji looked at him with disbelief. She nodded. 
 
He looked at her and winked. fell open.
 
Hoya got up fast and walked towards the front when two men came at him. It all happened so quick. He took hold of their guns and kicked them. Eunji got up after him. She ran and kicked them. The other two men came running from another compartment hearing the commotion when Eunji and Hoya ran towards the driver's room.
 
The waitress showed them the driver's compartment. Hoya held Eunji's hand and went forward. 
 
There was a gunshot behind them. The other two man were pointing at them.
 
Eunji moved backwards with fear. "Let her go." Hoya suddenly said.
 
The men laughed. "Oh it's okay we don't hurt girls. She can go."
 
"No! I am not going anywhere." She said strongly.
 
Hoya gave a her hand a reassuring squeeze and pushed her lightly to the side. He put his hands up in a surrendered position. 
 
Eunji looked at him. He was glancing at the man near her and then signaling her. She understood perfectly.
 
Even though it was a short time, she felt like she knew him forever. And the fact that he knew her too. She slowly moved towards the man. Seeing them some other passengers have gathered at the back. The men were unaware of people coming behind them.
 
Suddenly Eunji used her high kick and the man's gun fell. Eunji picked it up. Hoya waited for her and then held the other guy. The other passengers took over beating them.
 
As everyone went to the driver's compartment to catch the other man, Eunji and Hoya looked at each other. 
 
"You okay?" Hoya asked his eyes searching.
 
She nodded smiling. He had trusted her completely to take over the guy. He believed she could do too. She liked that. She was not treated like a weakling by him. She felt strong and loved.
 
"You look good." He laughed taking out something from her messy hair.
 
"You are annoying." She punched him in the stomach.
 
Suddenly they heard a gunshot. They ran towards the front. People were beating another masked man. But the driver was shot in his arm. Hoya ran to him. He took him to the other compartment. 
 
-0-
 
After giving their statements to the police, they walked away from the station. 
 
"We will meet again right?" Hoya asked with hopeful eyes.
 
She shook her head, "I don't think so. We are strangers." 
 
He looked down barely able to speak anything else. He couldn't believe it.
 
"Bye then." She said coldly.
 
He felt like he might tear up. He kept staring after her.
 
She left. He dragged himself like a school kid tired from his day. He got into a taxi. 
 
He looked outside. He felt like his heart was pulling him back. It's all over? All those moments meant nothing to her?
He was lost in his thought and couldn't hear his phone ringing. He didn't feel like picking it up. It must be his mom asking if he had arrived or not. 
 
It rang again. 
 
"Hello?" He decided to pick up at last.
 
"You are so disappointing." A familiar voice said. He was confused.
 
"I even memorized your phone number while you were giving to the police."
 
 He sat right up realizing. It was Eunji.
 
"You didn't even say we are no more strangers. We know each other better than most of the people who know us. 
You didn't even stop me. What are you!!" She sighed loudly but he knew she was teasing him.
 
"So is this our first couple fight?" He said smiling to himself.
 
She giggled like a little girl. "Bye. Don't talk to me."
 
 She realized she also had another side other than her fiery side. 
 
She felt happy with that.
 
-end-