001

Entwined
Please log in to read the full chapter

The clashing of weapons and the howling of either wounded or dying men, did nothing to settle the fears of the sleeping. Some keep their hopes that this long winded battle would end soon, but a majority of us left behind know that it will never end. Not until the ultimate power is claimed. Our huts are empty; void from the happiness that once lived. I myself was not alive when this war started, yet my mother expects me to be knowledgeable about the life I had no choice in living. The sun itself has not shown itself in quite some time. Clouds and rain has left the farming crop soiled. Food is scarce and health is low. How long will it be? I ask my mother questions, but get nothing about false reassurance. She constantly recalls a legend that a hero will return to end this war. I don’t believe in such things. If there was some great hero, why haven’t they come to stop the war now? Why not help us when we need it most?

                “Chae!” my mother called, hoping to garner my attention away from my thoughts.

Turning away from the window, I looked to her. Dark brown hair matted with dirt; olive skin dry and cracked. Her eyes were dark, but hid much emotion. Some would say too much, but that is just how she is. Her eyes were slightly sunken in due to exhaustion and stress. She had a kind smile, but anyone who knew her would see it as masking her true thoughts.

                “What is it?”

                “Make yourself useful and help e make dinner.”

                “Cook what? There hasn’t been a proper crop in years.” I said, making the fact known to her once again. I swear, if her head weren’t attached to her body, she’d forget it.

                “A shipment from a neighboring border sent us a lot of extra foods. It should last us for a time. Hopefully until we’re able to grow food ourselves yet again.”

                “That is until the raids happen again.” I muttered under my breath. Standing beside my mother, I began to peel potatoes while she washed lettuce.  Nothing but silence passed between the both of us. It was better this way. Anymore words and an argument would erupt. Shortly after placing the vegetables in the pot to simmer, I walked back to my window, and stared out to the battle field area. Within that region was a tall spiraling tower. Every now and then I see it, but I’m not sure what it is. I tried asking my mother, but got nothing but a simple answer that did nothing but peak my interest much more. She told me that it was a castle where the hero would emerge.

                “I wonder if there’s something actually in there.” I mumbled to myself.  There were moments in my life where I’ve wanted to venture into the tower, but with the structure existing within the harsh range of a battlefield, there is no way I could get close with this village keeping a sharp eye on everyone. A few spies have been caught in our village, and were caught quickly because their plans did not involve watchful vil

Please log in to read the full chapter