Leo's Present

Leo's Present

“Where are we going to put it?” Hyuk whispered to Ken and N, plotting in secret in the dark kitchen. Leo had gone straight to sleep, as had Hongbin, and Ravi was off composing in the company building. If there was ever a time to talk without being interrupted or seeming suspicious, now was it. Hongbin and Ravi were in on it, but it was better that they all weren't there at once.

“We'll just have to pick it up that day. It'll be too obvious if we bring it in before.”

“Do you think he'll find out?” N murmured, looking over Ken's shoulder suspiciously at the darkened hallway as though someone would appear there.

“Not if you keep your mouth shut,” Ken responded playfully before letting out a huge yawn. “Alright, time to go to sleep, I don't want to--”

The kitchen light flipped on, and all three stood there in shock as they tried to protect their eyes. Leo stood in the doorway with his hand on the switch, one eyebrow raised in questioning amusement. N began to stutter, looking for an excuse. Leo pushed past him to get to the sink, grabbing a glass from the cabinet as he walked by. He filled it, drank, and put the cup in the sink. He gave them all one last parting glance before flipping off the light and disappearing.

There was silence for a moment. “It wasn't me!” Ken yelled before running off towards his room, nearly knocking into the wall as he went. N turned to Hyuk.

“Do you think he knows?”

Hyuk shrugged. “Hopefully not... but probably.”

 

* * *

 

Leo did not, in fact, know, although he was quite certain that something was going to happen that he should avoid. It sounded loud and messy, whatever it was.

“Leo~” N called him over with a sing-song voice the next day, throwing an arm over his shoulder. “Can you come with me for a second?”

Leo nodded and went along, although he promptly shrugged away from the arm. N didn't seem to mind, mouthing words to Ken over his shoulder while thinking he was being sly about it. Leo resisted rolling his eyes.

“I just need you to wait here... for just a moment...” N led him into his bedroom before leaving quickly and closing the door behind him, clicking the lock before Leo could get his hand on the knob.

“Ya!” He called, knocking on the door in annoyance. N giggled.

“Just wait a minute okay! I'll be right back!” Leo heard N scamper away and sighed. At least he was in his own room. He turned around, aiming for the bed, before stopping short at the sight of what awaited him there.

On the neatly made bed sat a large box, wrapped in blue paper with a large bow settled on the top. At first it was the color and size that attracted his attention, but as he took a step forward towards it the box shook. Leo jumped back, surprised. So it wasn't outside he should have been fearing. He walked towards it carefully as it moved again, bouncing nearly so strongly that it fell over. There was a giggle from outside the door.

He pulled off the lid in one swift move, and the box slid sideways on the bed. Out tumbled a little orange kitten, so young it was struggling to get itself onto its feet in the fluffy comforter. The tip of its pointed tail was white, and as it righted itself it looked up at Leo and meowed.

He leaned over and picked up the tiny creature, gently letting it snuggle in his arms as it meowed again. It's small claws went through his thin tank top as it began to paw at him contentedly, purring loudly.

“Did you find it?”N called from the far room, turning the lock slowly. He peaked his head through the crack of the doorway, looking in with a giggle to find Leo with the kitten curled up on his shoulder.

“How could I miss it?” Leo said snappily, though his words lacked any bite. He was completely taken in by the small creature nestled with him. He he gently, patting its head but being sure not to hurt it.

“Happy early birthday!” The other members pushed open the door and jumped around him. Leo curled around the kitten protectively, looking at them in confusion.

“My birthday isn't for months,” he responded, confused, as the kitten stretched upwards to rub its head on his chin, calling for attention.

“It wouldn't have been as tiny if we waited,” Hyuk complained.

“Do you blame us?” Ken asked, knowing the response; Leo didn't bother to say anything.