Chapter 2

Iridescent

Jess made her way up the stairs, it was impossible not to bump into people and creatures alike, which didn't help soothe her nerves. Elly was letting a damn demon chat her up and Jess tried not to think about Hakyeon's earlier words and the implication of "playing with their food". Whatever that meant. 

Scanning along the balcony, she saw them on the other side deep into the throng of bodies. Elly had her hand on the demons arm and was leaning in close to his ear to whisper something. Jess could see her teetering on her heels already and the large hand the quickly moved to support her by the small of her back. 

She tried to fight her way through the masses as quickly as possible and was glad that she had opted for wearing her thick soled Doc Martens instead of shoes as ridiculous as Elly was wearing. She had at least another 20 feet to go before she felt a hand secure itself around her wrist. Trying to yank free in irritation, she turned to face her assailant. 

Wide red eyes softened the effect of the curved horns that extended at least a foot up, out of his skull. Thick hair with black bangs and deep dimples offset a sideways grin that could rival any fairytale villain's. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?" 

Jess spat out, "Why do you care?"

His grin widened, "Feisty aren't you?"

She took a deep breath, "I really don't have time for this right now. I'm trying to find my friend."

Slowly a sort of calm started to slip over her like a fog. Looking up at him as he smiled made the calm sink in faster, "There's no hurry right? I'm sure she'll be fine." 

Jess could feel the tension seeping out of her, in no time at all she had a hard time grasping what it was that had made her so tense in the first place. There was a cute guy in front of her, staring down at her with big brown eyes and asking what she wanted to drink. His lopsided grin was cheeky. She smiled back up at him and asked for a peach bellini.  

As she looked around at all of the beautiful, young people gyrating she felt eerily at peace. There was a slight nagging at the back of her head that she ignored quite easily until her eyes landed on someone familiar. Elly was dancing with a tall, slightly gangly guy with dark brown hair. "Dancing" wasn't quite the correct term, more like they were side stepping to the music and standing a little too close. 

Something about the sight was a bit off, the nagging feeling became more persistent. Elly tiptoed and cupped the guy's face before sliding her lips against his. Jess blinked as he drew her in closer. That was weird. Elly hated PDA with a passion. Anything longer than a peck on the lips was bordering upon obscene in her eyes. 

Jess brought her hand up to her head which was now throbbing as she watched them. The images of people all around were distorting, flickering and fuzzy as the glamour fought for control of her mind again. The demonic form of the figure latched onto Elly was enough to make her gut wrench. She made a conscious effort to focus and rid herself of the glamour, tendrils of it still clung to her consciousness and left a flickering in her periphery. Hakyeon wasn't kidding about the strength of their charming skills.

With her eyes focused on them Jess strode forward placing a hand on the demon's arm and pushing him backwards. He slightly stumbled back and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as she pulled Elly away from him, stepping in front of her. Blinking innocently at Jess he tilted his head, slighting unsure,"Uhm, can I help you?

She crossed her arms and shifted her weight to one hip, "Yeah, back off."

His eyes quickly darted around, searching, "Listen miss, I don't want any trouble. We were just-"

"You were just taking advantage of the the fact that she's tipsy and easy to glamour."

He opened and closed his mouth a few times like a fish. Obviously it hadn't dawned on him that anyone would approach them, let alone a human who shouldn't even know what glamour is. His eyes darted between Jess' stormy expression and Elly who was blinking up at him dazed.

Relief washed over his face as Jess heard a sigh from behind her. A familiar voice joined the conversation, "Of course you would interfere." 

Turning around, she saw the same demon from earlier holding two drinks. He had a bored expression on his face as he handed Jess her bellini, "Come on, Hyuk. Grab the girl and let's go." 

The demon who had been pursuing Elly stood a head taller than the other, but his small horns clearly indicated that he was the younger of the two. Hyuk looked stricken as he addressed the elder, "I-I think we should just go Hongbin." 

Jess grabbed Elly's wrist and pulled her even further behind her. Hongbin stared Hyuk dead in the eye, "You've been anticipating your first hunt for almost a year. Don't tell me that you're intimidated by some human."

Hyuk glanced towards Jess who was glaring daggers at him. She dead panned, "If you think I'm letting her leave with you, you've got me ed up."

Hyuk bit his bottom lip and looked back towards Hongbin. Hongbin rolled his eyes, "Oh for 's sake Sanghyuk." He Jess, "Listen: I get that she's your friend or whatever, but it's either her or both of you. So why don't you just run along home." 

Jess took a step forward, getting up in his face, "Good luck relying on your glamour. It doesn't work on me."

His eyes lit up at those words and he practically beamed at Jess. The four pointed canines gleamed in the dim light, "You're right, glamour doesn't work on YOU." 

In one swift motion, he pushed Elly so that she stumbled into Hyuk. Hyuk eyed him nervously and, after an assertive nod in return, looked into Elly's eyes and took her hands in his. Jess looked on in horror as the severity of the situation sunk in.

He spoke to her in a soothing voice as his eyes flashed. The red irises glowed steadily like the embers of a dying fire, "Elly, you've been having a lot of fun. Come home with me."

Jess had never witnessed glamour with a verbal element. She'd seen people talk while using glamour, but this was as if the immense concentration used made the words themselves glamoured. If the smug smile on Hongbin's face was any indication, it must be extreme powerful. 
He casually sipped his drink as Elly's pupils dilated and her face went blank for a moment, "I've been having a lot of fun. I want to go home with you." She latched onto Hyuk's arm and smiled sweetly up at him after reiterating the statement.

Jess reached out to her cautiously, "Elly, it's getting late. Let's go home." 

Elly turned to Jess with a pout and tightened her hold on Hyuk's arm, "I've been having a lot of fun. I want to go home with him."

Hyuk looked to Hongbin warily and received a smile of approval. 

Jess searched her face, "Come on, Elly. You can sleep over at my place and we can have a girl's night." She has already resorted to pleading and bribery. This couldn't be happening. Not to Elly.

She felt bike rising in as Elly blinked at her disinterested, "Jess, I wanna go home with Hyuk."

Hongbin chuckled, "Humans are all too easy to manipulate. Glamour may not work well on you, but it's certainly having the desired affect on your friend."

Jess felt like screaming. She wanted to rip him apart limb by limb. She wanted to burn him and those ridiculous dimples to ash. She wanted to take away someone he loved and make him feel as helpless as she felt in that moment. Instead, she settled for throwing her drink in his face.

Hyuk and Elly watched on wide eyed as the drink drenched Hongbin's front. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, willing himself not to incinerate her on the spot. The pale skin of his clenched first was beginning to glow, yellow to orange to bright red, and the wet areas of his body let off steam as the liquid evaporated from the heat.

Hyuk rested a large hand on his shoulder, "Let's just leave." 

Hongbin opened his eyes and glared at Jess, "Consider yourself lucky that we're in public. Sanghyuk, let's go."

Jess' mind worked a mile a minute as she watched them weave their way through the crowd with Elly in tow. She stood rooted to the sport until they reached the stairs, then she bolted. Shoving through humans and creatures alike, she fought her way through to catch up with him just as they were walking out the door. "Take me with you." 

Both demons looked at her like she was crazy. Hongbin practically hissed, "Why should I?" 

Jess was breathing heavily from her run, "You said it was either her or both of us. I choose both."

He gave her a once over and grinned, "Fine. Both of you can come. You're mine."

As Jess followed them out of the club, dread set in. What the hell was she doing?