Twenty three

Thinking Out Loud

The skeleton of a beanie slowly unveils as the pair of needles cross each other’s path deftly. The thin edge of the yellow thread was being force into the loop of another, the criss-cross movement going at a speed and accuracy made possible only by a professional. He would take an hour most to finish the beanie, he estimated. This time he is using 7 different colours of thread, colours that show themselves when light refracts through a single drop of water, splitting to show the genius harmony of colours. It will make anyone wearing it look cheery, he thinks, perfect for the dull and grey the world has come to seem. The only splash of colour against the drab office building he’s surrounded by.

Within his small corner contains a crinkly plastic bottle of water, a small tattered cardboard box of loose change, a flat bed of newspaper to protect him from the ground and a display of multi-coloured yarn in various shape and sizes. From sweater to mittens, his talented hands have weaved miles and miles of string into cosy, commercial clothing. His top-notch wear is only available to fortunate passer-by who chanced upon his ever-shifting make-shift booth.

 

This time, he is situated between an insurance company and an arts house beside a lazy spotted cat who has found its home between his -cheeks and the wall. He has to keep in mind not to squish the cat. What a dandy place to be he mused.

“Today must be my lucky day! I love your stuff!” The overly joyous and excited voice shocked him out of yarn-filled world. He forced himself to look up to the customer, as much as he did not feel like,  smiled his best smile, tooth and all. Atop the head of the stunningly handsome customer was a sky blue beanie. It was a little torn in the corner, to the point that most would refrain from wearing it, considering the tuff of hair that stuck out from the tattered hole.

He has to give credit to the boy though. Even with the shabby beanie, he was undeniably cute with his geek specs masking the huge owl eyes. The guy had a full-on hipster look, oversized cardigan over a fitting white T-shirt, torn skinny jeans and Doc Martins.  

“Take your pick. Every single piece of clothing here is hand sewn by me.” His quiet voice was warm and light, aged with experience.

“Oh I know that! There’s no need to entice me. I’m already enticed hook, line and sinker.” The boy had a small smile but a very bright voice. That voice carried the elation of discovering the pop-up and translated into action as the boy started ruffling through the stash of goodies. He pulled out a mud green cardi, shrugged his own cardi off and pulled the mud green cardi on. The bottom of the cardi reached just past his knees. Looking very satisfied, he asked “How much is this?”

It took him a total of 3 hours and six yarn balls that cost 3 bucks each to sew the entire cardi.

“21 bucks.” The boy did a little spit-take, with no spit that is.

“Are you sure? That’s too cheap!”

He nodded in response, a small grin plastered on his face. The boy’s enthusiasm and kindness has already made his day, it was payment enough.

The boys, though reluctant to give him such a small sum, passed him the money.

“Thank you so much! I can’t even begin to express how much I love your stuff!”

“I could mend the beanie if you like.” The boy’s eyes widen in response.

“Really?”

He gestured to him to take off his beanie. The boy tugged the sky blue fluff off, making his hair to splay in different directions.

“It will only take a minute.” He said as he examined the said object. After assessing the damage, he started to dig through the piles of yarn, searching for the exact same sky blue.

“Could you do it in a different colour instead?” His digging halted abruptly. The consequent curious raised eyebrows had the boy blushing a light pink. It was endearing really.

“Could you make it special? I would like to remember you, and the beanie was the first thing I bought from you.” He could not help the flip in his stomach, or the fluttering of his traitorous heart. He reached for the pastel yellow instead. In the following short moments a sun revealed itself. 

Satisfied with the final product, he passed it back to the boy who was positively gleeful at this point.

“How much?” He shakes his head, giving the boy his best smile once more.

 

This time it was genuine.