Those Year's Blossom

Those Years's Blossoms

A/N: Happy Birthday my one and only, Jang WooYoung! Please always stay happy as you're one of my endless inspiration! You're my muse, you're my rose boy!

To my reader, hope you'll all like this one cuz I have a good time writting it <3 Please subscribe and comment <3  

Word count: 10,293

Warning: Some cursing ~ 

“ you!” - NichKhun gritted through his teeth when his back was shoved against the hard walls.

Mocking laughters were heard as a group of boys approached him.

“Look who’s talking. You’re not in your comfort zone anymore you know, pretty boy” - the gang leader spoke up and threw a punch in his face. Khun struggled to get out of the grip, two other boys was holding his hands back so he couldn’t move.

“s! Face me when you don’t have your tails around you!” - Khun spitted out with full disgust. He shouldn’t have said so cause it would only earn him some more punches in the stomach. He squirmed in pain but curses were still heard.

“Look at me!” - the leader wrapped his fingers around Khun’s face and lifted it up. “You should know one thing, NichKhun Buck Whorevejkul” - he emphasized on each words and Khun wanted to punch that guy in the face for spelling his name wrong. - “You’re in my place, my school now! So don’t be arrogant, it won’t do you any good. Be a good dog okay?” - the other guy smirked and slapped on his face before walking away, signalling his friends to let Khun go.

“Not in a million year would I listened to a brainless idiot like you.”- Khun said when he fell on the ground, his lips was wounded with blood, he had bruises on his face but stubborn as the guy was.

“What did you just say, this little son of a !” - the leader pissed off and yanked him by the collar, he raised his fist up high, about to landed another punch on Khun’s face. The Thai boy closed his eyes, prepared to be hit but in fact, nothing came.

“Let him go.” - someone said with a stern voice. A not-so-unfamiliar voice to NichKhun. He opened his eyes to meet WooYoung. The other guy had his hands stopping the leader from punching Khun. “Let him go, JunHo!”

“What are you doing here Jang WooYoung! Get rid!” - the boy named JunHo gritted his teeth struggle to get out of WooYoung’s grip.

“It’s not good to bully new kids like this.” - Woo said calmly, not even glancing at Khun while the other boy stared at him.

“It’s none of your business, WooYoung. Get out before we give you some lesson too.”- TaecYeon, one of the gang shoved him away from JunHo.

“Since when you started to care about other classmates, don’t be so hypocrite, Jang!” - The remained one, with ChanSung on his name tag cleared his throat.

“Well, I’m a good friend, aren’t I ~ So I came to tell you to be careful cause the teacher is coming! You don’t want to be caught in anymore troubles right?” - WooYoung still remained calm, though the other 3 fierce boys glared at him.

“And you expected us to believe you’re not the one who told him to come?” - JunHo let go of NichKhun and switched his target to WooYoung instead.

“Up to you.” - WooYoung smiled ironically, not even bother with the fact that his uniform got crumbled when he was being held by the collar like this.

JunHo glared at the opposite boy. He knew WooYoung was no joke. But it was weird when the other interrupt his fun like this.

“Let’s go guys!” - the small eyes guy finally let go, signalling both Taec and Chan to come with him. “You’re just lucky this time, NichKhun. Next time, there won’t be any charming prince to save your if you dare to insult us again.”

NichKhun rubbed of the dust on his shirt and finally looked up to face the one who saved him. Jang WooYoung for the first time looked at his new classmate. There was something in his eyes that no one could read. He looked at Khun for a brief moment, wanting to say something but he didn’t speak.

WooYoung was not expecting any “thank you” or something but the reaction of the foreign boy still came out as a shock for him.

“Next time mind your own business.” - NichKhun said coldly. “I don’t need your help.” - he picked up his backpack from the ground and walked past WooYoung, pumping a little on his shoulder before leaving.

The shorter guy looked to the direction that Khun took until the older faded away. He bowed his head and sighed heavily. He deserved this. He said to himself.

“Isn’t helping you my instinct?”

*

Few hours ago.

It was one normal day for WooYoung in this school. He felt bored with everything. With these annoying loud idiots who were his classmates, taking turns chasing each other around, disturbing his sleep. WooYoung didn’t know why he ended up in this high school. Mostly because it was the only high school in this area- a place when students don’t even care about their study. All they know was making fights and pissing each other off. Pissing Woo off.

“Attention!”

He stood up to greet the teacher without knowing he caught sight of a boy. A boy whom WooYoung knew was as shock as he was. NichKhun. WooYoung didn’t need the teacher to introduce to know the boy’s name. He learnt it by heart. He could recognize that face even millions years later. Long time no see- he wanted to say.

“NichKhun? What kinda name that is!! Haha!!!” - other classmates bursted out laughing, pointing towards the new boy. WooYoung’s heart stopped a little when he saw the other guy frowned. Suddenly it was like deja-vu. Suddenly, he knew too well, what was about to come.

“NichKhun was brought up in Thailand. But he studied here in Korea for a few years now. So please..” - the teacher emphasized - “be good to your friend….Now NichKhun” - he turned to the other boy. “Please find a place to…”

“Excuse me. Can I transfer class?” - Khun spoke up, and everyone stared at him.

“What...why??” - Mr. Park , their homeroom teacher was speechless at his action as well.

“I don’t like to study in this stupid class.” - he said arrogantly which made WooYoung felt so surprised.

“Hey pretty boy! Who did you just call stupid?” - JunHo put his legs down from the table and stood up, seemed like he was about to throw a table at the new boy.

“Sit down, Mr. Lee. Or I will send you to the principle for this.” -Mr. Park glared. He turned back to NichKhun and said after he had calmed down. “It’s too late to change your class now since this one is the only class to have spare place. So who do you wanna sit with?”

“I said I don’t ing want to study in this class.” - Khun gritted through his teeth and WooYoung could see the teacher was getting impatient.

“I will, Mr. I will sit with him.” - Woo raised his hands.

“Great, Jang WooYoung. I’ve never thought you were this kind. NichKhun, please take your seat next to WooYoung.”

“WHAT?” - the Thai boy almost screamed.

“If you still disagree, we can go see the principle now.” - Mr. Park strictly said and Khun knew he had no choice. His parents won’t be happy to hear that he messed up again in this new school. He needed to try at least to graduate this year without being kicked out from school to school like he did in the past.

He slammed his backpack down on the table, moved his chair away as far as possible from  WooYoung. Earth is indeed round, he thought.

*

Each day passed by normally. With the silence at the back table of the class. They’ve never talked, not a single word. WooYoung always glued his eyes outside the window, not wanting to disturb his deskmate. NichKhun, on the other hand, kept staying away, sleeping in class, ignoring the other’s presence. It was like they were strangers.

Strangers don’t steal glances when the other looked away. WooYoung’s glances that were longing, full with sadness. NichKhun’s glances that show emotion he had never known the name. It felt weird. When they were sitting next to each other like this.

“Hey, Khunnie!” - a boy with Daegu accent called him from afar. Khun shrugged and approached the guy, giving a pat on his head.

“Wuss up , dude!” - he asked, sitting down across the dining table of the school cafeteria.

“How’s class today?” - MinJun asked, engrossing in his meal rather than actually wait for Khun’s answer.

“Same. Boring as always.”- he looked around and caught the eyes of WooYoung who just walked in. He knew the other boy was punished for sleeping in class, especially when their teacher was not in the good mood today. That was why WooYoung seemed panic, afraid that he wouldn’t get any food in this long line of students. NichKhun felt no regret for not waking the guy up when the teacher came closer though. Serve him right.

“Hey, who are you looking at?” - MinJun looked into the direction Khun’s eyes went, he sighed. “Oh that dude again! Ignore him Khun. Don’t let him bother you anymore. Common! Eat or I will finish your food after I finish mine!”

“Don’t you dare!” - Khun gritted his teeth and slapped his friend’s chopstick away from his tray. He let out a rare laugh and dug his head into the food. Before looking away, he still didn’t miss the sight of WooYoung, grabbing only a carton of milk and found a empty seat to sit alone.

Does he even have any friends here? Khun wondered. But well, he should not care. It’s none of his business.

NichKhun moved here when he got kicked out of his previous school for causing too much trouble. He thought he would be luck to get out of there since he didn’t have a good memory with those who kept bullying his friend. He didn’t regret at all fighting up for his friend and getting himself in the trouble. They both got suspended but they both ended up here. So Khun has nothing to complain. And yes, that friend is Kim MinJun.

“Why can’t you and I be in the same class though!?” - MinJun whined when they were having their meals.

“Haha! The school knows better than putting two past crime partners in the same place!” - Khun joked. It was unfortunate that he couldn’t spend more time with MinJun except lunch time or break. And he didn’t know whether to call another misfortune was that he ended up in the same class with WooYoung.

“What will you say if that Thai weirdo confess to you WooYoung?” - the leader of the gang asked, with a wicked smile on his face.

“Haha! Funny, JiHoon! That would never happen. Stop asking silly things!” - WooYoung said and stepped closer to his friends on the rooftop. Winds were blowing, the smoke of their cigarettes made Khun feel disgusted.

“I mean it! What would you do! Things could happen you know!” - JiHoon stepped closer, flinging an arm around Woo’s shoulder.

“That would be so disgusting! Oh my god! I don’t even dare think of it!”- he heard WooYoung’s evil laughter in the air.

“Haha! You sounded more and more like one of us Jang! Who knows the class monitor would be this mean!” - JiHoon walked the guy around the rooftop, now Khun could see clearly the other boy’s face. A smile on WooYoung’s face, a smirked to be more exact.

“Aren’t I? That Thai dude is so freaking disgusting! Who was this stupid to put him in the same class with us!! And I have to pretend to be nice all the time around him just because I’m the monitor.”

Khun froze at his spot behind the stairs. He walk out and wanted to slap the other boy hard in the face. He didn’t. Instead he just fixed his stares on WooYoung and JiHoon.

“You could say those things in front of me, not behind my back, bastards!” A furious glare before he walked away.

Khun shrugged and pushed those memories away. Years has passed and he still lived well now. He guessed that didn’t affect him after all. That’s just what he thought.

*

WooYoung looked at the boy next to him when loud noises woke him up from his usual spacing out. NichKhun was tossing his books and pens up, clearly looking for something. The bell rang and he saw the other guy bit his lips worriedly. And it suddenly hit WooYoung. The next period was Math. And the teacher already had bad impression with Khun since he bailed his homework twice. One more mistakes might blew things off.

“Everyone take your book out! I’m gonna go check! If anyone didn’t bring their book. Please stand up.” - the teacher’s were clear and WooYoung knew why Khun was terrifying. He must have left his book at home. With no hesitation, WooYoung raised his hand and stood up.

“I forgot mine, teacher!” - he said while his hands secretly pass his book to Khun.

“Jang WooYoung! Where were you when I said I will check your book in today’s period!”

“I’m sorry, sir.”- he bowed his head in apology.

“Get out of the class and you know what’s the punishment!” - WooYoung took his chair and followed what the teacher said. When he was out, he dropped to his knees and carried the chair over his head. WooYoung cursed under his breath. The math teacher always came up with the worse punishment, he could start to feel numb already.

In less than 5 minutes, he was shocked when a loud bang crashed next to his. Khun kneeled down as well, with a chair above his head.

“Yah! You idiot! Why are you here!?” - WooYoung couldn’t help asking. He accepted this punishment so that the other boy wouldn’t be in this position. He couldn’t help feeling his work turn to a waste. And he was slowly losing his patience.

“I forgot my book.”- Khun answered simply, not even looking at Woo.

“But I gave you mine!” - he gritted.

“It’s yours, not mine!” - Khun groaned in return, finally looking at the boy next to him, and he almost got lost in those dark orbs. He quickly turn his glances away. - “And didn’t I tell you to stop picking your nose in my business.”

WooYoung took a deep breath, stopping himself from blowing off. This stubborn guy. “Fine! I was stupid, and nosey! Okay!”- he grunted - “Can’t believe that’s how you thank a person that just helped you.” - he muttered the last sentence under his breath but Khun still caught it. The Thai, however, ignored it again.

Those words from the past still haunted him. That guy hates him. That guy with the puffy cheeks and adorable eyes, hates him. And hell, WooYoung always found the chance to confuse Khun. He wouldn’t be fooled this time. Not again.

20 minutes had passed but it felt like years to Khun. He glanced towards WooYoung and he could see the other’s arms were losing their strength. Babo, you were never strong enough to endure this kind of punishment.

“Look what you’ve done Khunnie!” - WooYoung whined cutely when they both kneeled right in the middle of the school. It was over midnight and they were here, carrying chairs above their head when the moon teasingly shone beautifully.

“Hey! It’s not entirely my fault! You’re the one who think of this stupid idea!” - Khun nudged on the other boy’s arms, moving closer.

“That’s how you thank me! It’s you who want to watch the first blossom bloom.”

Khun giggled. “I didn’t say it has to be our school’s blossom tree. You’re the one who talked me into breaking into school at this hour.”

“Aish! I can’t feel my arms anymore you idiot!” - Khun laughed when he knew the other boy couldn’t argue with him anymore. They got to see the first blossom bloom anyway. Under a not-much- ideal situation, kneeling under the tree. The moon was shining brighter today than any other day. Khun closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the night air. Refreshing. Each petals of flower appeared with a pink color. So beautiful. They don’t have this kind of flowers in Thailand so it was the thing he wanted to see the most in Korea. He glanced aside to see WooYoung still frowning from the weight of the chair. He started to feel pity for the guy. WooYoung wasn’t that strong.

“Wanna run? I think the security got back to his beauty sleep now.” - Khun winked and WooYoung happily nodded. “Let’s go” . They quietly put the chair down and tiptoed their way out of the front door. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get out peacefully without waking up the security guard.

“Hey, you two! Stop there!” - the scream was left behind when two boys ran as fast as they could away, praying that the guard wouldn’t remember their face or else they would get into much trouble.

“Haha! That was fun!” - WooYoung stopped to took a breathe when they ran far enough. “Let’s do it again someday!” - he suggested but Khun just tackled him down by the neck, holding him by his shoulder. “No! You idiot! Next time you have to take me to see blossom flower somewhere else!”

WooYoung just chuckled in return but Khun took it as a promise. A promise that has not been fulfilled.

*

WooYoung stretched as he walked out of school when the class ended. His arms became numb from the earlier punishment.

“Aish! NichKhun you babo!” - he muttered angrily. “Why do I keep helping you? You show no gratitude though.” - he sighed sadly.

Suddenly a familiar laughter caught his ears. WooYoung walked toward the sounds and as expected, he saw JunHo, TaecYeon and ChanSung standing together in a dark corner.

“Did you see that guy’s face when he panicked this morning! Priceless!” - JunHo clapped his hands.

“I know right! You’re so brilliant JunHo! As always!” -TaecYeon added in and gave his friend a thumb.

“Of course I am! Where’s his book Chan?” - he asked the other guy.

“Here! Safe in my backpack! He didn’t even doubt! He isn’t gonna find it at home now haha!” - Chan got a Math book out of his backpack and WooYoung took no time to realize whose it was.

Khun’s math book.

“Hey!” - WooYoung walked out, startled all three boys.

“What are you doing here Jang WooYoung!?” - ChanSung snapped, still angry from the previous encounter with this guy.

“Catching you guys red-handed of stealing NichKhun’s book.” - he smirked.- “Give it to me if you don’t want me to tell the teachers.”

“How old are you WooYoung? Five? What’s with all the ‘telling teachers’ thingy all the time!” - Taec stepped forward and Woo stepped back a little. This giant guy was intimidating, no joke.

“What’s with you guys and messing with NichKhun thing all the time?” - he snapped back. Taec and Chan both clenched their fists. WooYoung knew when it came to smart talk, these idiots would lose. They’re just famous for their giant bodies.

“Hey guys!” - JunHo stepped in and clutched on both his friends’ arms. “Don’t make a mess with this guy here.” - he said gently but Woo could smell JunHo was up to no good. The guy was devilish and a downright scamp. “Hey WooYoung” -he said and put a hand on WooYoung’s shoulder, a bit too dangerous. - “Is it your business? We mess with NichKhun, as I remember. Not you right?” - he said shot Woo a glare.

“Still, it’s not good.” - he shoved JunHo’s hand away. - “Give me back his book.”

“What if I don’t want to? I’ll burn it in front of you if you dare go tell the teachers.” - JunHo dropped the gentleness, patting the book on Woo’s head. Woo gulped, tried to calm himself down before he lost his mind. These kind of people, he was used to dealing with.

“What do you want JunHo?” - he said, the small eyes boy had got back to his position, between his giant friends.

“I don’t know? If you want it, come and get it then.” - JunHo said and turned his back to walk deeper to the dark alley. WooYoung knew it wouldn’t be good for him if he walked in. Still he did.

“Give it here.” - he couragely said when the other three had cornered him.

“Well, well, Jang WooYoung. The new almighty hero huh? We haven’t finished with you last time you mess with us boy.” - Taec said and put an arm next to WooYoung’s face.

“I’m no hero.”- he said calmly.

“He’s no hero. Have you ever seen he stood up for anyone we bully before?”- Chan stood on his left, breathing on his ears. “I thought you were cool WooYoung. I thought you know better than to mess with us.”

“Unless…”- JunHo stood opposite with him, smirking - “Unless you have a crush on that new boy...Oh my gosh, Jang WooYoung! What a surprise!” - JunHo made a surprise face, which was totally fake.

“Shut up!” - WooYoung gritted his teeth. He held back the urge to kick JunHo. If there was something he didn’t want to be teased about, it was this.

“Ooohhh. So I am right then? Haha!” - JunHo giggled in victory and the other two got along. - “Poor you WooYoung! He doesn’t seem to like you though.”

“Shut the up!” - Woo almost screamed from anger.

“Ouch! Look who’s angry now guys! Of course he didn’t want us to mess with his crush right?” - JunHo said mockingly.

“He’s not my crush!” - he protested, clenching his jaw.

“Oh! So you’re perfectly fine with us burning this now right? Give it to me Chan” -JunHo commanded and the other boy passed him the book.- “NichKhun Buck Horvejkul. A lame name to match with an ugly face dumb boy, don’t you think? He’s Thai and he lived in our country yet he acted arrogant as !”

As soon as he finished his words, JunHo found a punch landed on his face.

“You son of a !” - WooYoung kicked his feet into air when he was being held down by the two giants. - “Give me that back!”

WooYoung didn’t even have enough patience to explain to these idiots. What it actually was between him and NichKhun. Their filthy mouths didn’t have the rights to say that. Not when WooYoung still hurt when he thought about it, about his confused feelings, his unreturned feelings.

“! You dare hit me!” - JunHo spitted out and returned WooYoung’s punch. He kicked the guy some more in the stomach until WooYoung collapsed on the ground. Woo was no girl. When TaecYeon and ChanSung were busy enjoying JunHo’s (terrible) fighting skills, WooYoung flung his arms free and tackled the small eye’s head before punching him some more.

It turned into an unfair fight between Woo and the other three, but he didn’t give up. His anger gave his the strength. He could have stayed silent for the whole time if JunHo’s gang bully someone else. He didn’t mind anymore in this ty school. But this wasn’t ‘someone else’. This was NichKhun. NichKhun who he had spent years protecting. NichKhun who might hate him a lot now but WooYoung’s feelings remain the same.

He felt blood in his mouth but he wasn’t a secondary boy anymore. Back then he was scared. That’s why he turned into a coward. That’s why he betrayed his own best friend.

WooYoung finished his packing quite late so he was the last one to leave the class. He hummed a happy song when he was walking out of the school. Suddenly, he heard someone talking. He turned around and saw no one. He stepped a bit more, feeling shiver down his spine. Was it ghost?

“Get back to your place!” - he heard it clearer this time. A boy’s voice followed by many laughters. He followed where the sound came from and ended up in front of a dark classroom. WooYoung peeked inside and saw three boys standing there in circle with another one with messy uniform in the middle. Woo got his eyes wide open when he realized who it was. It was his friend, NichKhun.

“You don’t belong here NichKhun! Go back to your place.” - a boy who studied in the same class with Woo, named JiHoon spoke up. It seemed like he was the leader of the gang. But the other two was not familiar with WooYoung. It must be some other naughty students from other classes.

“I… I… You don’t have the rights to ask me to do anything.” - Khun said with a shaky voice. WooYoung knew his friend was tough but being ganged up like this scared the hell out of anybody. Watching the gang up alone was terrifying itself.

“Oh really? I should beat some sense into you so you could see that I don’t ing need any rights to tell you to off my country, Thai boy.” - JiHoon ended his sentence with a kick on Khun’s body. The boy clutched his stomach and fell the ground. The other two joined in and threw their punches and kicks on the victim’s faces. All WooYoung could hear now was Khun’s scream and those boy’s evil laughter.

He stood there, with a hand covering his mouth from shock. He kneeled on the floor, the scene was too much for his young heart to handle. They hated Khun for not being Korean. How mean was that? WooYoung couldn’t believe in his own ears. He knew there were bullies in the school who just used stupid reason to gang up on people for their entertainment. He didn’t know his close friend was one of the target. NichKhun wasn’t just a close friend. He’s the one who is the most important to WooYoung, the reason he lives and smiles. It was something more than friends but yet reached love. And now, WooYoung was too scared to step out and fight the other guys to protect his beloved one. He thought he wasn’t strong enough. So he stepped back….and ran away.

**

Few days dragged on when he saw Khun walked into class with a bruised face. He didn’t ask. Khun didn’t say anything either. They went on talking, but WooYoung couldn’t help fix his eyes on those purplish wounds on the corner of Khun’s mouth. It wasn’t his wound yet he hurted so bad. He couldn’t tell the teachers, it would only worsened things. He couldn’t let Khun be bullied like this.

So he took his action. The worst decision he had ever made. He didn’t care, he did regret but he did it with good purpose.

“Hi JiHoon.” - he said with a cool expression as he approached the gang on the rooftop of the school.

“What the ?” - JiHoon panicked and quickly put off his cigarette when he saw WooYoung. “What are you doing here Mr. Class Monitor?” - he quickly got back to his usual tone.

“I see you having a little meeting up here. Can I join?” - WooYoung smiled brightly but all the other boys were shocked.

“What? Join us? You? Are you kidding me Jang WooYoung? You want to trick us to give us to the teachers right?” -JiHoon doubted.

“Of course not!”-Woo shook his head. “Why don’t you think I want to join you on my own will. Just because I’m the class monitor?”

“Duh!”

WooYoung took a deep breath, remembering what he had planned in mind. He needed to make it sound convincing. “I’m too tired of this boring life. Why do I always have to listen to the rules? WooYoung do this, WooYoung do that. I’m tired of it! So let me join you guys and make some fun on our own. You’re gonna need me sometimes though, to help you out in front of the teachers. At least they still see me as a good boy.”

JiHoon raised his eyebrows but WooYoung could see the guy was being persuaded. “Okay! Deal, monitor! Welcome to our gang!” - he offered his hand and WooYoung took it. He could see the smirk on that devil face. He needed to do much more to gain this one’s trust. It was just a first step. Small success he would take.

*

“So WooYoung” - the next day, JiHoon came to him and flung an arm around his shoulder, acting like they were friends for life. “I see you quite close with that NichKhun guy.”

Woo gulped, hoping that he wouldn’t be caught so soon. He needed to act better to get what he wanted. “Uhm. Not really. I talk to everyone in class in the same way. Monitor’s duty, remember?”

“Oh.”- JiHoon showed a little surprise when Woo reacted calmly. “Then how about you join us this afternoon. Bullying that girly guy was real fun, dude!” - JiHoon said and laughed loudly. Woo clenched his fist under the table. Fun? JiHoon called hitting his friend fun? Calm down, WooYoung.

“So, what do you say, Young?” - JiHoon challenged.

“I don’t know.” - Woo pretended to think deeply. “There was an ice cream shop opening near my house tonight.”

“So what? Don’t tell me you prefer ice cream over this.”- JiHoon sounded offended.

“No no.. But I think you would rather break into that ice cream shop and get some free for us. More thrilling, more fun, don’t you think?” - WooYoung suggested.

JiHoon froze for a while, still progressing the fact that the idea just came out from the monitor of the class. “Are you serious?”

“Of course I am. Or if you prefer bullying the lame boy all over again then…”

“Are you kidding me? Of course I’m in! You surprised me WooYoung. I’ve never thought you’re this kind of guy.”

Well, there were a lot of me that you didn’t know, you son of a . WooYoung smiled inside. Sure he might get into trouble if he got caught for this. But he just shifted the gang focus of NichKhun. That’s all he need. That’s all he aimed for.

*

The next day, WooYoung walked into class with bruises all over his face. He walked towards his desk and slammed the Math book down in front of NichKhun and walked away quickly.

Khun was taken aback. He searched his house the whole night to look for this. How did it end up in WooYoung’s hands? And where did the guy get wounded? Minutes later, JunHo, TaecYeon and ChanSung walked into class with the same face, but with less purplish marks. They all shot their glares to Khun and he stiffened. Was it…..It couldn’t be right?

Khun ended up sitting alone while WooYoung was nowhere to be seen. Babo! He must thought I would get angry with him again for picking up his nose in my business. But well, why did he keep doing that all the time? We’re nothing to each other now. As we have never been. Khun wanted to ignore but he somehow felt worried for the other guy. WooYoung seemed to hurt badly. And if it was really because of him, he thought he should at least thank the guy.

At the end of the class, he went to meet their homeroom teacher to ask for WooYoung’s address.

“What do you need it for?”- he heard JunHo smirking behind his back and NichKhun turned around.

“None of your business.” - he coldly said.

“You two know each other before right?” - the small eyes said, raising his eyebrows.

“No. I don’t know him.” - NichKhun lied. He knew it was a lie. But it was true. The WooYoung he thought he knew doesn’t exist.

“Oh really. Then why was he risking anything to get back your Math book though? He dared punch me in the face like this.” - JunHo grunted and pointed to his face. “Next time you see him, tell him have the gut to fight till the end rather than running away like that.” Running is WooYoung’s specialty, don’t you know? Thanks to his endless running after causing troubles. “I’ve never known that guy was a fighter though. He’s more interesting than I thought.” - JunHo laughed bitterly and faced Khun again. “I’m gonna let you go this time since your hero gonna beat me up again if I mess with you.”

“I don’t need a hero to punch you for me. I could do it myself. Don’t you dare mess with me again, Lee JunHo.” - Khun clenched his fist and waved it in front of the other guy.

“Okay okay! Haha! See you soon, NichKhun.”

*

It took Khun 20 minutes of walking from school to WooYoung’s house. A train of thought ran through his mind as he felt the breeze of one fine day. WooYoung betrayed him. That guy tricked him. He acted like Khun was his best friend but he talked trash behind his back. And Khun was once fooled. Because he enjoyed the moments with WooYoung so much. Because he enjoyed laughing at some silly jokes WooYoung made, playing along with some trouble-maker plan the other had. He loved seeing that gorgeous smile that sent his eyes into small threads. He loved that kind of laughter they shared. Those promises they made.

But he could never forget the pain WooYoung brought him as well. He just couldn’t forgive WooYoung. And it’s not like WooYoung has ever explained, ever asked for forgiveness. NichKhun was the only fool in this, to enjoy their friendship which meant nothing to the other guy. It was fake. All fake.

But why now? Why did WooYoung keep helping him out now? To make up for what he did? Khun didn’t need his sympathy. He was living just fine without WooYoung. So what? He raged and he rebelled. He got kicked out of a few school even though he was a nice boy in the past. The changes he took to adapt himself to the environment. When people keep bullying him for being different. He had enough of it. He hated it. And he hated WooYoung for being the same as those idiots. Khun used to think WooYoung was different as well.

“NichKhun??? Oh my gosh, it’s really you!”

“Oh, good afternoon Mrs Jang.” - he greeted the woman nicely when he reached the given address.

“Oh dear! I haven’t seen you for years Khun! How are you!? Come in, come in!” - WooYoung’s mom excitedly pulled him in, asked him to sit down and brought him some water.

“You move here now? WooYoung didn’t mention that! This little punk!” - she said and Khun just smiled politely.

“Yes. I just transferred here a few months ago. Nice to see you again Mrs. Jang.” - hearing what she said, Khun guessed WooYoung never told his mom about their stories. She must have thought they were still as close as moon and stars.

“So you don’t live in Busan anymore? Oh, I miss that place. I would have chosen to live there if it weren’t for WooYoung.” - she said and seeing Khun’s confused face, she continued. - “You know, there was one day he ran back home crying to me, saying he didn’t want to live in Busan anymore. And I got an offer for a new job here. I was about to reject but he insisted so we ended up moving here.”

WooYoung cried….

“Ah. I see…WooYoung aren’t home yet, Mrs?”

“He didn’t come to class again???” - she shocked. Again? WooYoung skipped class often or what? “Haiz! This boy! Ever since he moved here he said that the new school so he skipped usually. The past few months he just stopped doing that. Now thinking of it, it must have been that you transferred in that he got some friends.”- she smiled happily.

Khun nodded, feeling surprised himself. WooYoung actually went to class because of him?

“Hi Mom. I’m home.” - WooYoung walked in and froze when he saw Khun sitting in his living room. “What are you doing here?” - he blurted out.

“WooYoung! That’s not how you greeted your friend!” - his mom nagged. “Come on! Khun, you went upstairs with him and you guys can have fun, I will clean up a little bit then come down for dinner okay! It’s been a long time since I saw you.”

“Uhm… I….” - Khun hesitated.

“I won’t take no for an answer. Now common! Woo, stop standing there!”

WooYoung startled. He almost forgot that his mom never knew about what had happened between Khun and him. He silently nodded and walked toward the stairs, signalling Khun to come with him.

“What do you come here for?” - Woo asked when the door was closed behind their backs. Khun spaced out for a moment when he stepped in the room. It was just like years ago. The same scent. The same way of decorating his room. Simple but neat. A bookshelf, a closet with notes hanging all over, a drawer with a lamp on it since WooYoung couldn’t sleep in the dark and a photo frame.

WooYoung caught where Khun’s eyes going and he quickly hid the frame under his pillow, praying that the other boy hadn’t seen anything.

“I asked you, Khun.” - he emphasized, trying to push away the awkwardness. It was only two of them in the room now. And Khun was staring at him, which made him feel very uncomfortable. WooYoung hope he wasn’t blushing.

“Did you have a fight with JunHo’s gang yesterday?”- Khun leaned against the wall and asked.

“What! No! What made you think like that? These bruises on my face? I tripped my legs this morning and slammed my face on the floor, that’s all.” - WooYoung said quickly with a nervous voice. Of course Khun didn’t buy that lie. He shook his head silently. There’s no use arguing, Woo wouldn’t admit it anyway.

“Thank you.”- he muttered quietly.

“What?” - WooYoung couldn’t believe in his own ears.

“Nothing.” - Khun shyly looked away.

They stayed silent for a while. No one said anything. WooYoung lay down on his bed, turning his back against Khun, pretended to sleep.. The other boy ignored him as he kept scanning the room. Everything screamed WooYoung’s name. And everything suddenly reminded him of the beautiful past they had.

“Aish! I’m exhausted!” - Khun slammed his back against WooYoung’s bed as he exhaled heavily.

“Hey, idiot! Your sweat gonna stained my sheets!” -Woo whined and pulled at Khun’s arms with all his force.

“Oh really?” - Khun teased and grabbed every of Woo’s pillows into his embrace.

“Hey!!!” - Khun giggled when WooYoung pouted angrily. The original scent of WooYoung drowned his sense. And Khun enjoyed it.

“Let them go you idiot! I’m gonna smell nothing but your sweat when I’m sleeping tonight!” - Woo still persisted and continued to save his pillows from Khun.

The Thai boy finally let go, spreading his arms widely and gave his friend an angelic smile. “Don’t say that! I know you love it!” - he teased.

“Ewww! No!” Woo stuck out his tongue. He was no better than Khun. They raced back WooYoung’s house after school as they always did. - “Go take a bath and I will let you sleep on my bed. Go go!”

“No! I’m tired!!” - Khun struggled cutely

“Common Khun!”- WooYoung shook his friend’s shoulder. They kept struggling for a while before Khun accidentally pulled the other boy’s arms, making WooYoung landed on his body.

They froze, not even breathing. Khun could see the Korean boy so close. Their face was just inches apart, their bodies were pressed against each other. He didn’t move. His eyes trailed along the direction of WooYoung’s bead of sweat as it went from the boy’s puffy cheeks to his pouty lips and disappeared under his ed uniform.

“Hey Khun. Let me go.” - WooYoung shyly looked away and said. NichKhun suddenly realized what an awkward position they were in. He gulped and pushed the boy away. He stood up from the bed and excused himself to go to the bathroom.

“Yah! NichKhun! What did you do! Why did you pull him towards you like that!” - Khun cursed himself when he was alone in the bathroom. It was undeniable that he felt his heart drumming loudly inside his chest.

*

Their relationship slowly got better after that day. A few words were exchanged in class when they needed the other to pass them something. Or just to ask for a wake-up call when teacher came. Still, every time their eyes met, they awkwardly turned away in mere seconds.

The semester almost ended and that meant the school trip were coming up. They didn’t have a chance to enjoy it wholly of course, when the teacher came in and passed out the mission.

“During this trip, you guys have to work in pairs to set up camps and accomplish some missions. This will counted as your teamwork grades. Now, let’s pair up.”

The class got noisy as people discussing on who they would take as a partner. WooYoung and NichKhun glanced at each other but neither of them said anything. Maybe when everyone has a pair, they would end up together. That’s all. No need to ask or anything.

“Teacher!” - but suddenly JunHo raised his hand. - “I want to pair up with NichKhun!”

Both Khun and Woo got shock from the boy’s words. They stared at their teacher but Mr. Park nodded agree.

“What! Since when you’re interested in doing teamwork with me!” - Khun argued.

“Oh common! We need to get close to each other right! We’re classmate after all.” - JunHo pretended to nag at how cold Khun was to him. But WooYoung saw through the devil’s plan. He wanted to do that to piss WooYoung off. Aish! He shouldn’t have messed with Lee JunHo after all. That guy could hold his grudge for a while.

*

It turned out their trip’s destination was in Busan. How coincidental. JunHo excused himself to sit with TaecYeon and ChanSung and Khun couldn’t feel more lucky. WooYoung walked in the coach quite late and he eyed the empty seat next to Khun. But just when he was about to fill the place, a familiar Daegu voice caught him off-guard.

“Khunnie! Can’t believe our class travel in the same coach!!” - MinJun shouted as he happily sat down next to Khun, hugging his friend.

Khun could see at the corner of his eyes the disappointment on WooYoung’s face as the boy found a spot to sit alone. “Hi dude!” - he still greeted his friend happily.

The journey started noisily when everyone chitchatting nonstop. But an hour later, they all fell into deep sleep. Khun was among the rare to be awake. MinJun already doze off on his shoulder. He looked aside and saw WooYoung nodding his head off, with a cap covering his face. He sighed. That would cause the Korean boy lots of aching later.

“Hey, who are you staring?” - MinJun rubbed his eyes and woke up.

“You’re awake?” - Khun ignored the question. But MinJun still looked aside and saw Jang WooYoung was the target.

“Him again? What did he do to you this time?” - MinJun grunted.

“Nothing.” - Khun said and looked away. MinJun knew too well the whole story between him and WooYoung. After WooYoung left, MinJun was the closest one to Khun, he told the Daegu accent guy everything. And MinJun held a hatred against WooYoung even more than Khun did. A great friend, of course.

“Don’t let him hurt you again Khun.” - the boy said seriously. He’s worried for his friend.

“I don’t even care anymore, okay.” - Khun said but he knew it was a lie. He always cares. When it comes to WooYoung, it’s hard for Khun not to care. And the more he cares, the more he gets hurt. Logical facts.

WooYoung heard each words clearly. So he didn’t care about me anymore. Why am I even surprised. At least he didn’t hate me. That was enough. Khunnie ah… The way that Daegu guy called Khun reminded him so much of what he used to call the Thai boy. Woo suddenly missed it. He missed calling Khun like that. And many more nicknames that he got the other. The day he left, he learnt how to forget, how to stop remind himself about what had happened. He was the wrong one. He got what he deserved.

“Hey!” - WooYoung startled as he saw the one who just sat down next to him.

“Lee JunHo! What do you want!” - WooYoung cursed silently.

“What! I’m being friendly okay!” - JunHo smirked and laid his head on Woo’s shoulder.

“Get off me!”

“How cute WooYoung! I’m just spreading the love okay! Are you jealous when I get to pair with NichKhun!? Oh wait? It should be that you jealous with me not because of me. Am I right?”

“ off JunHo!” - Woo regretted having fought with this guy months ago. He regretted losing his temper and let JunHo got the best of him.

“Haha! Of course I did. I did stay away from your precious all this semester right? I kept my words.” - WooYoung knew JunHo was right. The guy did keep his words. His words that said if WooYoung admitted his feelings, he would voluntarily not messing with Khun anymore. Since JunHo found it interesting that a quiet guy like Woo could fight up for some person. It’s interesting to him.

“If you love him WooYoung, why didn’t you confess?” - JunHo smiled wickedly. He was a gangster but he could feel it was cute how WooYoung having a crush on a new guy like this. His school year was bored with bullying and playing all the time. It would definitely be more fun to tease this couple.

“Things aren’t like what you see.” - WooYoung sighed. He gave up. He could never shoo JunHo away. He didn’t have any friends in this school anyway. JunHo didn’t seem like that bad a guy.

“So there was really a history between you two!!” - JunHo clapped his hands, knowing that he was right from the start.

“Uhm.”- Woo nodded and stole glance from NichKhun again. A history. He didn’t know if it could be called that. When things ended even before it started.

*

NichKhun stood alone in the middle of the night. He was finally here. Busan, a place full with memories. Their destination was a beautiful sight. And what amazed him the most that this was full of blossom trees. And the flower nearly bloomed. It’s their season coming soon.

He stood there in silent. Since WooYoung left, he also quit his dream to see the first blossom bloom each year. Everything was not the same when WooYoung was not around. It was their thing and Khun didn’t like doing it alone. It only reminded him of how happy they were. And nostalgically it woke up the wound inside his heart that WooYoung left.

Or should Khun say he cause it himself. He was being delusional, thinking there was more in this relationship. He thought that WooYoung would feel the same way. But maybe he was wrong.

It was almost Valentine and Khun had prepared a special gift for WooYoung. He giggled like a girl when he proofread the cards he had neatly written with his poor Korean vocabulary. A small box of chocolate was there in his desk, wrapped beautifully. Khun quickly shoved the card inside before WooYoung could see it. He laughed and ran out of the class to hang out with the other boy.

“WooYoung, I have a crush on you for a long time. I wonder if you feel the same. Today, I took all the courage to finally tell you, will you be my boyfriend?” - JiHoon read it out loud in front of NichKhun’s face and the Thai could feel his cheeks burning up.

“Oh my gosh! I thought the fact that you aren’t Korean is disgusting enough! You’re gay too???” - JiHoon let out an evil laughter when they were alone in the class. Khun found out his cards was stolen by the other guy.

“Give it back here, you jerk!” -he flung himself forward ready to land a punch on JiHoon’s face but the later boy was stronger.

“Too bad, dude! WooYoung would be laughing his head off if he knows about this!! Haha!” - Khun was taken aback with JiHoon’s words. Why did the guy say it like he knew WooYoung well….

“Oh my gosh! You don’t think that he treated you nicely in class just because he likes you as well??” -JiHoon widened his eyes comically. “You’re too innocent NichKhun yah! WooYoung is one of us! You just lost your sense after we haven’t bullied you for a while did you? Haha!”

“Liar!” - Khun yelled. It couldn’t be true. Out of all people, it couldn’t be WooYoung. WooYoung was his best friend, the one he adored. WooYoung couldn’t be one of those jerks.

“You don’t believe me? Well, then! See you 4pm at the rooftop, Thai boy. And you see if I’m right or not.” - JiHoon put his card on the ground, stepped on it and walked out with an evil laughter. Khun clenched his fists. He trusted WooYoung. He didn’t even need confirmation to believe WooYoung would never one of those rude guys.

But he ended up there, on the rooftop, that day, hearing every single words WooYoung said. NichKhun was a fool.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” - the one he just thought about appeared behind Khun’s back.

“JunHo’s snoring too much.” - Khun said coldly not even looking at the other boy. The memory which just came back to him hurted so much. The last thing he wanted to do now is put all his rage on WooYoung. They slowly reconciled, but Khun still couldn’t forgive what happened in the past.

“You still have this hobby? Watching the first bloom of the blossom.” - WooYoung looked at him and smiled. The Korean boy thought deeply about what JunHo said. He never confessed to NichKhun. He wondered why he didn’t. Maybe because he lost the chance to do it ever since he joined JiHoon’s gang? Maybe because he was afraid Khun said no and their precious friendship would disappear as well…

“No, I don’t have that hobby anymore. It was just in the past.”- Khun lied. Being with WooYoung like this, just two of them, in the middle of the night, in the light breeze of the spring, under a blossom tree. It just somehow brought him back to when it started. He took a deep breathe, not letting himself get emotional.

“Oh….” - that was all WooYoung could say after hearing the answer. So Khun really had changed. He wasn’t the best friend he head years ago anymore. WooYoung knew he was part of the reason that hurted Khun so bad and turned him into a cold person like this. His past NichKhun was smiley, kind and sweet and gentle. The present NichKhun was cold to him. And WooYoung knew to only him maybe.

“WooYoung….” - Khun suddenly blurted out which startled Woo.

“Yes?”

“Why do you keep helping me?” - Khun asked, his eyes still stared at the branches of trees, waiting for the flower to bloom. But his heart was in a mess. - “Why do you keep confusing me? It was in the past. And it was now as well.”- he continued without really waiting for WooYoung to answer.

“What are you talking about Khun?” - Woo asked confused.

“Stop acting like you don’t know! What do you want? You want to trick me again like you did in the past! You want to make me fall for you again so that you could have fun telling your friends how disgusting it was to have a guy loving you?” - Khun muttered weakly under his breathe. It was getting unbearable. He knew it was a wrong choice to study in the same class with WooYoung again, to meet WooYoung again. He could never control his heart, which keeps falling for WooYoung. It’s hard to hate WooYoung. He thought he did but he was wrong.

He loves WooYoung. He always did and always will. Even though the guy hurted him, even though the guy abandoned him and left him without any explanation. NichKhun still loved WooYoung. It hurts him again and again.

“What are you saying Khun?” - WooYoung couldn’t believe in his own ears. NichKhun loves him? But the guy hates him. NichKhun hates him to the core because the Thai didn’t know the reason why he betrayed Khun was just to protect him. What was he talking about? WooYoung was the one who fell in love.

“Stop…. Stop giving me false hopes. Stop helping me. I’m begging you. I don’t need your help. I don’t need your sympathy! I live just well without you in my life! I don’t want to be hurt anymore!”- without notice, Khun found tears falling on his face. He was so weak. He felt like he got back to the time when WooYoung left him. He had cried a lot. For being betrayed but mostly for being abandoned. WooYoung didn’t even care about him. That wasn’t just disgust. The korean boy never spared a thought about him. It was one-sided love all along. NichKhun was a fool to believe in it.

“I.. I can’t…” - WooYoung stepped closer, putting a hand on Khun’s shoulder, restraining himself from hugging the boy. “I can’t stop helping you Khun. I can’t stop protecting you. Because you’re the most important person to me. Because I…. I care about you so much, even when you hate me now. I… I love you so much…” - he broke down and cried as well. All the wound he had kept inside for a while finally showed. No one could understand how he felt. How he blame himself for hurting his friend, how he couldn’t face the hatred on Khun’s face that day and he knew that would all he get till the rest of his life if he stayed. That was why he risked anything to move away. He knew it was the best for him. And he thought Khun would feel happy when he did. The Thai boy would be free from a thorn like him. But clearly he was wrong. He could see how hurt Khun was right now. The tears he saw for the first time but he knew it was what Khun had as a friend for years.

NichKhun would have thought this was a lie. He would have thought WooYoung showed him his wonderful acting again. If he hadn’t seen the photo in WooYoung’s room that day, he would still have this doubt. That photo was a photo of them, two young boys smiling next to each other, arms around shoulder, cheeks pressed against cheeks as they smiled happily. The fact that WooYoung still treasured that photo surprised him. And that’s why he trusted the Korean boy this time.

“You left me… you freaking left without saying anything you idiot!”- Khun turned around and grabbed WooYoung by his collar before punching hard into his face. “You said you love me? Then was this how you show me you love me? I was willing to stay by your side. I was preparing myself to still stay by your side and fool myself again that what you said wasn’t really what you meant. I know you might hate me but I still wanted to believe that, I still wanted to enjoy every moment with you. But you left! You freaking left! You left me alone!! You bastard!”

Khun kneeled down and sobbed hard. Every single feelings he kept inside. Finally he got the chance to speak up. All the rage was being let out.

“I’m sorry Khun… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…” - WooYoung wiped the blood on his mouth from the punch and kept muttering. - “I just wanted to protect you. I joined JiHoon’s gang to make them not bully you anymore. I thought I chose the right decision. I thought I helped you. But at the end, I just hurt you more. I’m sorry.” - he got up and pulled Khun to his embrace. The Thai boy didn’t fight back.

“Babo…. you babo….” - Khun sneaked his arms around WooYoung’s waist and hugged him tighter, squeezing him hard in his embrace. “Why didn’t you explain with me? I’d rather let them bully me. Why did you risk yourself like that for me? You idiot!”

“I’m an idiot… I’m sorry…” - WooYoung found himself crying hard. He snuggled his face into Khun’s chest and let tears fall. He gripped on Khun’s shirt and held on tight to the Thai boy. All the misunderstandings. It was all his fault. He deserved the coldness, the hatred. But finally he found where he belonged. He found a shoulder to lean on.

“You don’t have to protect me. I could protect myself you idiot!” - Khun said and planted a kiss on WooYoung’s head. The Korean pulled out with a surprise face. “And I should be the one to protect you…” - he said the last words quietly but enough for WooYoung to hear. The shorter boy leaned in and caught his lips.

They shared a sweet and gentle kiss. The kiss they both have longed. The kiss they had imagined to share for a long time. It finally came true. NichKhun moved his lips against WooYoung’s slowly. WooYoung closed his eyes and enjoyed the sweet taste of his friend’s lips. It was exactly how he had imagined. Khun was kissing him gently, hands caressing his hair and WooYoung closened their gap by throwing his arms around Khun’s shoulder and pulled him in. He shifted his head so the kiss could went deeper. They barely breathed, afraid to break this moment, afraid to wake up from this dream.

“I love you Khun. I’m sorry for being such an idiot.” - Woo said when he pulled away, tears stopped from his eyes and Khun used his thumb to wiped the remaining on his cheeks away.

“Don’t say you’re sorry anymore. Just don’t ever ever leave me again.” - Khun emphasized on each words.

“Forgive me now?” - WooYoung said but to him, NichKhun took a little too long to agree.

They got back to silence again, simply holding each other hands and watching the first pink petals of blossom appeared. Khun smiled unknowingly.

“Ah, I wonder if they have found it?” - Woo suddenly said and let go of Khun’s hands.

“Found what?” - the Thai asked and followed WooYoung to the root of the tree. The korean boy used his hands to dig up some dirt and pulled out a small box.

“It’s still here!” - he said happily.

“What is it?” - Khun asked.

“That Valentine, I was preparing a surprise for you. A way to fulfill my promise with you. I was planning to take you here to see the first blossom.” - he handed the box to Khun.

“I’m going to sleep now! The teacher won’t be happy if he saw me missing. I already caused enough trouble. Sleep soon,” -he planted a kiss on Khun’s cheeks, making the Thai boy blush, especially from what he heard next. “my boyfriend.”

WooYoung quickly ran away and Khun wondered why the boy was so shy. He opened the box and saw a handmade bracelet with a handwritten card. So he did want to give me something for Valentine too.

“Dear Khunnie,

It took me 10 sheets of paper before I finally reaching this final draft. I know I am a clumsy, problematic boy. I know I’m not as handsome as you, I know I’m not that sweet and gentle as you either. I know I am an idiot friend who always whine and nag you. But I always want to protect you. You’re the most important person in the world to me, please know that. We’ve known each other for so long and I don’t think there is a person who can understand me like you do, who can make me smile like you do, who can give me this nervous feelings like you do. I enjoy every single moments when I’m with you. I  hate to see you being hurt. So let make more memories, let me protect you more dearly. NichKhun, will you be my boyfriend?”

NichKhun smiled goofily at the cheesiness. Everything went back to its place now. No more misunderstandings, no more hurt. He was at right where he belonged. Wherever WooYoung is, that is his home. He could see many good days waiting for them. With WooYoung by his side, Khun can make it to anything. WooYoung was his first love, his true love. His heart knows its place.

THE END.