Quiet People

Do Kyungsoo and the Beast of Camelot
Please log in to read the full chapter

BG Music (Reynah)

 

Quiet People

 

Kim Jongin has secretly liked Do Kyungsoo for a total of 117 days, wrote poems in his name for a total of 672 hours, and composed songs for him in a total of 381 words.

And all these numbers added up are possibly not even half of his racing heart rate right now.

Given, he was currently in a horribly dangerous situation. What with a beast lingering around the hallways and all. But while Headmaster Kenilworth’s voice rang from the walls, all Jongin could think about was Kyungsoo Kyungsoo Kyungsoo.

He wanted to slap himself out of it, but he opted against it because it would've make him look stupid in front of his crush.

Jongin groaned, liking someone was just so difficult.

“Jongin.” Kyungsoo said quietly after a few moments of silence, and carefully covered Jongin’s hand with his own, (the latter squealed softly) “Stay quiet, alright? It’s going to be fine.” Kyungsoo took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly, “Don’t move.”

“What—” Jongin whispered frantically as Kyungsoo slipped off the bed, making almost no noise, “Wait, where are you going?”

Kyungsoo stopped in the middle of his tip-toeing, and casted a glance back to Jongin as if to say, Be quiet and just watch.

Jongin obeyed.

He sat uselessly on the bed as Kyungsoo slowly pulled out his wand from his robe, and walked over to the large doors of the Hospital wing.

“Colloportus.” Kyungsoo whispered, and Jongin heard soft, mechanical clicks as the door seemed to meld with itself into one single board.

Kyungsoo his lips nervously (Jongin gulped) and turned to walk back to the bed Jongin was on.

“I just locked the door, can you—” Kyungsoo whispered once he got close enough, “can you walk on your own?”

Jongin nodded. He no longer felt a thumping pain in his skull, at least not since he’d woken up.

“Then follow me.”

Jongin carefully peeled off the covers from his legs, and winced as the bed gave a soft creak at the shift in weight. Jongin then slowly, slowly stood up from the side of the bed, and exhaled quietly in relief.

Kyungsoo was standing a few beds away, wand at the ready again. This time, the older boy closed his eyes, as if trying to remember something.

“I think it was this…” Jongin heard him whisper to himself, “Muffliato.”

Jongin made a confused expression. He didn’t feel any different.

Kyungsoo ignored Jongin’s response, and gestured for him to come closer, as he himself started to walk at a normal pace towards the corner of the room, to behind the last bed, and almost out of sight.

Jongin was horrified, Kyungsoo’s steps were making too much noise, what if—

“The Muffliato charm fills the ears of anyone nearby with a buzzing sound,” Kyungsoo explained quickly, as if he’d read Jongin’s thoughts, “We can’t talk at a normal volume yet, but walking should be fine.”

“Oh.” Jongin responded softly, quickening his pace to where Kyungsoo sat on the floor, “You’re— you’re really good at charms, huh.”

Kyungsoo chuckled softly, and patted the space beside him for Jongin to sit, “This isn’t really a time for compliments— but thanks.”

“S-sorry.” Jongin quickly blushed, and quietly knelt beside his crush, “I didn’t mean—”

“It’s okay. We, uh. We should be safe here.”

Jongin glanced nervously at Kyungsoo, his heart felt like it was torn to half as he took notice of the slight tremor in the other boy’s voice.

Jongin immediately felt his eyes start to water. He hated himself for tearing up, but he felt incredibly useless; his wand was lying somewhere in the Gryffindor common room, (he forgot to take it with him to Quidditch tryouts, and Jongin is this close to slapping himself) and all the spells he knew, he reckoned Kyungsoo, who’s a year older, probably knew them too— which makes him nothing more than dead weight to slow Kyungsoo down.

Jongin furiously wiped his tears away with his sleeves, and sniffled a bit. He didn’t want to look weak in front of Kyungsoo.

“Merlin.” Kyungsoo whispered softly with a hint of concern in his voice, “Are you— are you crying, Jongin?”

“N-no.” Jongin brought his knees up to his chest, and buried his face in them, “No, I just— got something in my eye, is all.”

Either Kyungsoo believed his excuse, or he noticed how much Jongin was trying to avoid the subject, because he no longer probed about Jongin’s tears. During the next few minutes, the hospital wing was crushed by a bone-chilling silence, and an underlying tone of danger.

Even as he listened to Kyungsoo breathing next to him, Jongin would be lying if he said he wasn’t scared.

The only beasts he had actually seen in real-life were the gnomes that lived in his family’s garden, and the occasional horklumps Hagrid had brought to Care of Magical Creatures.

Jongin took a deep breath— he felt paranoid, he was hearing these strange squeaks and thumps coming from outside the locked door; they seemed real when he had first heard them, but after a few seconds he realized that it was most likely his imagination, and he launched into an inner debate about the possibility of an actual beast right outside the door.

“Honestly, if we were in a different situation, I’d probably be a bit creeped out by you right now. Since you woke up on my bed and all.” Kyungsoo laughed nervously as he scooted a bit closer to Jongin, whose mind went blank as his cheeks flushed a furious blush, “Would it be weird if I said I’m kind of glad it was you? Not— not on my bed. As the person stuck here with me, I mean.”

Jongin didn’t comprehend.

“It’s just—” Kyungsoo continued, lips curling up to a smile that had Jongin’s heart beating like mad, “All my friends would be dead annoying if they were here...probably freaking out or casting useless spells— but you, you’re quiet.”

Please log in to read the full chapter