we can do anything, we could be heroes

Heroes (we could be)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"Hyung, where can we learn to fly?"

 

Kyungsoo's stubby fingers pause from shoving sand into his tiny blue pail. Wide-eyed Jongin is peering up at him expectantly and the elder feels slightly pressured from the sudden question.

 

"I don't know." He finally shrugs and resumes to filling his pail. But when he hears Jongin huff irritably beside him, he thinks a little more. "We'd have to grow wings first?"

 

The younger frowns at his suggestion. "But Superman doesn't have wings."

 

Kyungsoo's little brain is starting to hurt because, well Jongin is right. But Teacher Junmyeon hasn't taught them that yet and he doesn't remember his mother telling him about that too.

 

"Why? Do you want to learn how to fly Jongin?"

 

The younger nods his head vigorously, mop of jet black hair that needs t bobs up and down with his movement.

 

"Then I'll ask Teacher Junmyeon at school tomorrow."

 

Jongin smiles, eyes crinkling into crescent moons as he happily flash Kyungsoo an 'okay' sign with his thumb. "You're the best, hyung!"

 

--

 

"Teacher can I ask you a question?"

 

Teacher Junmyeon nods, humming a familiar song that Kyungsoo hears when his mommy drives him to school sometimes and she turns the radio on. Kyungsoo is the only kid left at their classroom and Teacher Junmyeon always stays with him until his mommy picks him up a little later than the rest. He doesn't feel sad at all because he is a big boy now and Teacher Junmyeon even lets him arrange the crayons in their boxes.

 

"Where can I learn how to fly?"

 

Kyungsoo focuses his eyes at Teacher Junmyeon as he stops swiping at the table. He has stopped humming now as he thinks and Kyungsoo feels his toes tingle because why is Teacher Junmyeon thinking so long?

 

"You can't learn how to fly. You need to have super powers instead."

 

Before Kyungsoo can ask another question he hears his mommy's voice from behind him. His legs automatically take him to where she is, clamping his arms around her in a tight hug.

 

"Thank you for staying with Kyungsoo, teacher." He hears his mommy say to Teacher Junmyeon. Teacher closes in and messes Kyungsoo's hair. He doesn't mind, he likes Teacher Junmyeon.

 

"It's nothing, ma'am. Kyungsoo helps around. Right, Kyungsoo?"

 

He nods and returns Teacher Junmyeon's smile. His mother tells him to bid him good bye and Kyungsoo does. "Bye teacher! Thank you and see you tomorrow." He bows and reaches for his mother's hand.

 

--

 

When Kyungsoo is safely strapped in the car, he fidgets in his seat. His mommy glances at him from the driver's side. "What is it dear?"

 

"Mommy, how can I get super powers?"

 

His mommy smiles at him. "Well, you need to be a big boy to have powers," she starts and Kyungsoo turns to her as much as the seat belt would allow "and of course, for you to be a big boy, you need to eat the vegetables mommy gives you. And fruits too."

 

But Kyungsoo doesn't like vegetables. He likes bananas, though. And apples, maybe. But vegetables are icky and they taste a little weird. Maybe getting super powers is going to be hard.

 

--

 

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo's legs are about to fall off from all the running. He sees Jongin by the swings, and the latter beams to see his favorite hyung bounding up at him.

 

"I wish I could already go to school so I can go with you." Kyungsoo's heart wrenches a little to see Jongin's pout. "It's not the same, playing without you."

 

"But Sehunnie plays with you while I'm gone, right?" He holds out his hand to Jongin who gladly shoves his stubby fingers into his palms. Kyungsoo drags him to the empty swings and he pats it, checking to see if it is dry. He motions for Jongin to take a seat.

 

"Sehunnie cries a lot. He's noisy and he hits me too much." Jongin whines miserably. He wonders if it would really be as fun to go to school as his hyung tells him to be. He can't wait till he's Kyungsoo's age and he can't wait to go the same school as he does. Then they'll play and draw and nap together.

 

"Well, it's better than playing alone isn't it?" Jongin considers this while he sways off the ground, feeling Kyungsoo's palms on his back as he gives the swing a little push every time it sways backwards.

 

"Yeah. But I still like playing with you best." He grins at Kyungsoo. "By the way, hyung. Did you ask your teacher about the flying thing?"

 

Kyungsoo nods, eyes a little grim. Jongin doesn’t take notice and his eyes twinkle instead. Finally! "How hyung! How! Can you show me?"

 

"Teacher Junmyeon says we need to have super powers to do that. Mommy says I can't have powers unless I become a big boy and eat vegetables and fruits."

 

"Oh." Jongin is visibly crestfallen at the news. Like Kyungsoo, Jongin finds vegetables ew.

 

"It's okay Jonginnie." The elder says, giving Jongin a final push. "We don't have to eat vegetables for the rest of our life. We just have to eat them till we get the powers."

 

The younger considers this and laughs. "You're really smart, hyung!"

 

Kyungsoo joins his laughter, plopping on the next empty swing. "Let's see who can swing the highest!"

 

 

--

 

Kyungsoo likes it when his mommy leaves him at the Kims' house when she goes out on errands. Jongin's mommy always gives them freshly baked cookies for snacks and cookies are his favorite. What's more, he gets to spend more time playing with Jongin because his mommy often takes long when she drives downtown.

 

"Hyung, let's play outside. L

Please log in to read the full chapter