Chapter 6

Assister
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

DOUBLE UPDATE!! GO BACK ONE CHAPTER :)

 

The time flew by more quickly than I expected, not knowing that talking to two detectives could be so much fun. Our conversation was interrupted when a nurse knocked on the door coming in with what seemed like my charts. 

 

“I need you to sign your release papers,” she unexpectedly announced as she handed over the clear clipboard. I cocked my head to the side, trying to remind myself if today was the day I was supposed to be released 

 

“The doctor received a request from the detectives for you to be released early and because you’re a legal age to sign yourself out we’re letting you leave early,” she answered as if she knew what I was thinking. I turned towards the detectives in confusion when the nurse left the room 

 

“Is that why you guys were here the entire time?” I asked as I willingly filled out the papers, wanting to get out of the suffocating building 

 

“We needed you at the station immediately,” 

 

I chuckled to myself at the ‘immediately’. 

 

“If it was so urgent, why’d you have me stay at the hospital for the extra 4 hours you guys were here. The chuckle I resonated throughout the room was silenced soon after feeling the tension rise from the two detective. 

 

“What is it?” I asked worriedly. Andy and Lizz both had their heads towards the floor or the window as none of them could seem to be able to look me in the eye. 

 

“Y.You guys are scaring me?..Did..did someone else go missing?” I asked, afraid of the worst and my heart dropped when their eyes met mine. Pity, sadness and fear roaming both of their eyes. 

 

I felt tears on the back of my hands, not even knowing why my heart hurt when I didn’t even hear the news yet 

 

“We needed to confirm something first before we could tell you. We needed to kill some time,” 

 

“Give me a minute to change,” was all I said before I rushed to the cabinet to get my clothes before turning around to an empty room. My mind started to picture the worst scenario. I heard myself whimper before grabbing the piece of paper in my pants pocket that I realized that my hands were trembling terribly. I breathed in and out, placing my right hand over my chest where my heart should be, rubbing in circles. 

 

I wiped the remaining tears on my cheeks and put the piece of paper in my jean pocket before heading out the door. 

 

The ride to the station was silent. I stared at the passing trees and building. Staring blankly at the people the car whizzed by, a small sense of jealousy occurred. I wasn’t exactly sure what kind of person the Assister was, all I knew was that I was in danger but so were the people I loved. 

 

Will I be able to go back being the college student I was? Going to class, hanging out with friends, stressing over schoolwork…will I ever go back to that kind of lifestyle? 

 

I was awakened from my thoughts when my side of the door opened. I blinked a couple of times, adjusting to the sunlight hitting my face. I cautiously followed behind Andy and Lizz remembering why I was there in the first place. Every step I took started to feel heavier and heavier. 

 

I felt eyes on me when I entered the station. All I could hear was the sound of the tv, something about a car accident that occurred early in the morning. The two young detectives led me to a separate room where it was the team of five: Detective Vance, Andy, Lizz and two other detectives I met at the hospital.

 I started to play with my fingers when I felt frightened from having 5 pair of eyes staring at me. 

 

“When was the last time you contacted your family?” Detective Vance asked and my heart started to beat loudly in hopes that he wasn’t going to tell me something I didn’t want to hear

Please log in to read the full chapter