When the Boys Beg

Get That Girl Out of the Boys' Locker Room!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TWO

When the Boys Beg

 

 

“Wow, Hana!  You are just what we need!” BamBam was grinning from ear to ear.  His face was red, but it couldn’t have been from playing hard.  He wasn’t out of breath, even though he had sprinted along with the rest of the players to where you, Ara, and Mina were sitting.

Meanwhile, Sehun casually tossed the football from one hand to the other.  “I think what BamBam means is that Seoul doesn’t have a prayer this year without a decent kicker.  So far the only man they’ve got is Jackson Wang.”

“Yeah, Jocko Jackson.  He can’t kick a tin can across the street without stubbing his toe,” Kai said.

“Cool it,” BamBam interrupted.  “We all know he’s make better plays on defense, but getting him to accept that is impossible.”

“Well, you better think of a way,” Yugyeom grumbled.  “Because it looks like Coach is going to make you quarterback.  Maybe even captain.”

“Really?” you said, your face heating up too while BamBam blushed at Yugyeom’s comment.  “That’s great.”

“What’s Jocko Jackson got to do with Hana?” Ara wanted to know.

“Yeah,” you said.  “Why are you guys giving me strange looks all of a sudden?”

“Because, twerp,” Kris said loudly, “you just walloped the ball from at least forty-five yards.”

“Yeah, and your aim wasn’t all that bad either,” BamBam added.

“Big deal,” you rolled your eyes.  “I do it all the time.”

“You what?” Tao blinked.  You couldn’t tell if he was impressed or surprised.  “You do?”

“Sure.  Ask Kris.”

Puzzled, Sehun shoved Kris’ shoulder.  “You holding out on us, hyung?”

Kris stopped wiping the sweat off his face with the bottom of his t-shirt and flung his arms in the air, feigning innocence.  “Hey, when you asked if I knew any good kickers, you never said girls.  She used to kick the ball around when we were kids and Dad was helping me learn how to block and tackle.  How was I supposed to know she kept it up?  I’m only her brother.  Give me a break.”

You stuck your tongue at him and made a face.

It was like a tennis match.  Now everyone was staring at you again.

“Well, I didn’t exactly keep it up,” you said honestly.  “I mean, I didn’t kick all that much.  Only sometimes.  Like when I was mad at Kris about something.  You know, like if he stuffed one of his sweaty, gross, unhygienic socks in my lunch bag.”

Kris made a goofier face than usual.  “Okay, so maybe that’s five times a week, for starters, and that’s only if I change my socks.”

A couple of guys laughed, but not BamBam.  He got right down to business.  “So, will you do it?” he asked you, his brown eyes begging like a cocker spaniel’s.

When you looked at him, you couldn’t help but smile.  The tops of his ears were still pink, his black hair fell over his forehead.  He was so cute, he made her heart pound.  But what was he talking about? “Do what?” she asked.

“Try out for the team,” Kai shouted, bringing her out of her BamBam-induced trance.

“You’re forgetting about Coach Lee,” Sehun lamented.  “Unlike your basketball coach, he’s not very cool when it comes to girl athletes.”

“Oh, yeah, Hana,” BamBam groaned.  “Major obstacle.  This morning he called Sehun a powder puff when he dropped the ball.”

“Yah!  I couldn’t help it,” Sehun explained, his cheeks flushing in embarrassment.  “I got ambushed by a steamroller.”

“Coach told me I’d have a hard time making the Lipstick League when I couldn’t get a first down with three tacklers hanging on each ankle.” Kai shook his head in disgust. 

“Man, it’ll be a hot day in January before Coach Lee lets girls on his team.  He doesn’t care how good they are,” Yugyeom sighed.

“Too bad for him,” Ara said with a shake of shoulders.  “Sounds like a personal problem to me.”

You shifted your weight to one leg and folded your arms across your chest.  Why should you even care?  Putting on bulky shoulder pads, hot Spandex pants, and an oversized jersey just to play football with a bunch of sweaty boys was not exactly your idea of fun.

Sehun spun the football in the air and caught it.  “Well, too bad you guys are going to get creamed this year.  I’m telling you, BamBam, we don’t stand a chance without a decent kicker.”

You could tell by the way he arched his eyebrows that what he’d said was for your benefit.

Kris agreed. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter