Platonic tight, meaningful hugs (Jongkey)

Platonic Love Drabbles and Oneshots

Four years. It had been four years. Jonghyun had never wanted this day to come, but he had always known that it eventually would. Ever since he had auditioned and been accepted into his high school’s show choir everything in his life had been brighter. He had found something to look forward to, a group of people that loved and supported him, and, most importantly of all, he had found Kibum.

 

Initially the two hadn’t gotten along, both being rivals for solos in the group. However, once Jonghyun had seen Kibum with tears streaming down his face standing where he thought no one would see him as he waited for his grandma to pick him up after school things had changed.

 

Their rivalry had never been anything serious, but Kibum sure had looked surprised the first time Jonghyun had come to sit down next to him and start up a conversation before rehearsal. They ended up getting along really well, and since then they’d been inseparable.

 

Kibum had been there for Jonghyun when he’d first come out as bi, and Jonghyun had been there for Kibum when his grandmother was in the hospital after a . They’d each seen the other at their worst and their lowest, and their friendship had only grown stronger because of it.

 

The show choir had been the roots of their friendship, a place where they could both let go and express themselves no matter what was going on in their lives. And Jonghyun knew that once it was over nothing would be the same.

 

Finally it was the day of their last performance of the year, the last time they would be together as a group. The members had changed over the years as old students graduated and new students auditioned, but Jonghyun felt a special connection to the group as it was now. He’d been together with all of the seniors through a lot, and the underclassmen were really hardworking and fun.

 

As Jonghyun buttoned up the slightly wrinkled dress shirt of his uniform he thought of how much he’d grown over the years. Even his dress pants looked a little too short for him now, and to him that was something to be proud of.

 

Soon he heard a honk outside. Kibum was here, and it was time to go. He hung his untied bowtie around his neck and grabbed his choral binder.

 

Based on the way Kibum looked at him when he got into the car they were feeling the same way, a sort of nervous buzz. Jonghyun held out his hand to give Kibum’s a reassuring squeeze. No matter what would happen at this point they’d always be there for one another.

 

The performance started out okay. Everyone was using all their energy to give the seniors in the group a good send off. The audience was great as well. They were at a retirement home for the elderly, and as usual Jonghyun could feel that their performance was really brightening the audience’s day. It was one of the main reasons he loved being in the group. It felt like he was really making a difference to get to cheer up so many people so often.

 

The second last song they sang was an a cappella piece which included a duet he had with Kibum. As he took a step in front of his group and saw Kibum do the same he gave his friend a thumbs up. They had always loved performing this song, and he felt his chest tighten as he saw Kibum’s eyes growing watery.

 

They both sang their hearts out, and to Jonghyun the group had never sounded better backing them up. At the end of the song Jonghyun walked over to Kibum to hold his hand as they bowed and walked back to join the group. It didn’t matter that they were standing in the wrong section, everyone knew their part for this song anyway. He saw the director look over at the two of them and give them a sad smile as he conducted the beginning of the final piece.

 

As soon as he started to sing Jonghyun’s eyes filled with tears, and as they began to stream down his face he scrunched his eyes shut. He wanted to enjoy every last moment. Kibum’s hand was gripping his own as his entire body shook. This group meant so much to the two of them, and soon they were gonna graduate and–

 

Jonghyun’s eyes popped open as he heard his voice crack rather embarrassingly. He giggled to himself and looked over at Kibum…they were both a wreck. As the song ended Kibum pulled Jonghun into his chest as they sobbed into each other’s clothes. Jonghyun wished he could stop so people wouldn’t stare at him (he hated when they did that) but everything was too overwhelming. He felt his throat burn as he gasped for air.

 

Kibum squeezed him (if possible) closer to his chest as he leaned down to give the top of Jonghyun’s head a kiss.

 

“I know.” He whispered. “I know.”

 

Jonghyun rubbed Kibum’s back in reply. He wasn’t sure he could form coherent words just yet.

 

Someone stuffed a pile of tissues at his face and through the mountain of white he saw a camera flash go off.

 

“Hey!” He protested. “Stop taking advantage of my weakened state!”

 

Kibum chuckled in his ear. “That was Mark taking a photo with Mr.T you . Don’t worry, no one wants a photo of your gross face right now.”

 

“Maybe not,” Jonghyun admitted as he finished wiping his face and slowly pulled his phone out of his pocket. “But I definitely want one of yours.”

 

The flash went off as he snapped the photo before Kibum had time to realize what had just happened. This was definitely going up on instagram.