Platonic late-night deep conversations that end in at least one person holding back tears or sobbing (Jongyu)

Platonic Love Drabbles and Oneshots

Jonghyun was looking through his twitter feed on his phone when he heard a knock on the door that connected his and Jinki’s room’s.

“Come him.” he grunted, his chin awkwardly tucked into his chest from the half-sitting half-lying down position he’d evolved into.

The door creaked open revealing two bunny slippers and one messy haired, pajama-clad person.

“Can I sleep with you tonight?” Jinki asked quietly. He had the quilt he’d brought from his childhood home draped around his shoulders and looked like a cute multicolored marshmallow.

Jonghyun glanced at the clock (2:00 AM) before patting the space next to him on the bed.

“Of course. I was gonna try and sleep soon myself.”

Jinki closed the door behind him and slipped into bed to sit next to Jonghyun. Jonghyun set down his phone on the small coffee table on his side of the bed to give Jinki his full attention. He pulled back the blankets to allow Jinki to fully extend his legs and reached over to wrap his arms around the other man’s shoulders, pulling him closer.  

“Do you wanna talk about it?” He asked gently as he softly massaged his thumb into Jinki’s shoulder. After years they’d reached a level of comfortability where he knew that Jinki would tell him what was bothering him when he was ready, but it didn’t hurt to extend the question.

“I-uh,” Jinki started but stopped as quickly as he heard his voice crack.

Jonghyun’s arm tensed around Jinki, but he forced himself to relax as he moved it to comb through Jinki’s hair. He could feel Jinki taking deep breaths and calming himself down.

“Is it about your audition?” Jonghyun knew that Jinki had been particularly worried lately for the big audition he had coming up. It was a big opportunity, and he knew just how hard Jinki could be on himself for things like this.

He’d tried extra hard lately to compliment Jinki and to pick up the other man’s share of the chores when he was looking extra harried, but he knew none of that would ease the pressure coming from Jinki’s own mind.

Jinki nodded slowly and turned his head to look into Jonghyun’s eyes as he voiced the worries in his head.

“What if they don’t like me? What if I crack on my high notes? My breath support hasn’t been that great lately, and maybe my audition piece is too hard, and I just really. want. this.”

As he revealed his fears silent tears began to leak out of his eyes. Jonghyun felt his heart breaking. All he wanted was to be able to protect Jinki from everything, but how could he save him from his own mind? He pulled Jinki into his chest as the other boy choked back a sob.

“I really want this Jjong. It means so much, but I know I’ll never be good enough.”

Jonghyun bit his own lip as he began to rock Jinki back and forth in what he hoped was a comforting way. He knew he couldn’t start crying now, because there were things that needed to be said, and he didn’t want to ruin the moment by getting more worked up than the important person that was sitting next to him.

“Jinki, Jinki, Jinki.” He whispered into his ear softly and felt the other man’s body tremble from the emotion pouring out of him.

“I was so so scared that I was going to have to live my life alone. No one ever clicked with me, and everyone else that was interested wanted more than I was comfortable giving.” He paused, remembering that dark time in his life. “But then I heard your voice. You saved me Jinki. You and your beautiful voice lit up my life, and if these people can’t see what a gift you have then I question their musical knowledge.”

“But, but…”

Jonghyun stopped Jinki by softly placing his index finger on the other man’s lips.

“Shhh, it’s ok. I know you’re worried, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but you should also know just how good enough you are. You deserve this just as much as anyone else. Heck, I’d say you deserve it more than them, but I am a little biased.”

Jinki gave a little chuckle in response and Jonghyun felt his heart leap. He was making progress.

“And if you don’t get it yea, it’s gonna , but it’s not the end. There will be other jobs, jobs even better than this one. You’ll make it, you’ll be ok. And you’ll have more time to spend with me. That’s not so bad, is it?” He looked and Jinki for reassurance and was rewarded with a small grin.

Well…..” Jinki teased.

Jonghyun pulled him closer.

“I want you to get this, I really do, and I’m wishing you so much luck. I know it’s hard, but I also know that you’re strong enough and you can do this, because you’re amazing.”

Still in Jonghyun’s arms Jinki tried to wriggle to lay down on the bed. Jonghyun got the hint and shifted his body as well so they were laying side by side.

“Thanks, Jjong.” Jinki said, and Jonghyun wiped away a stray tear from the other man’s face.

He hoped he’d been able to alleviate Jinki’s pain in some way, and as he watched Jinki’s breathing calm down and his eyelid droop to close he felt satisfied. If there was one thing Jinki needed it was definitely sleep.

Jonghyun turned over to flick off the lamp on his bedside table, plunging the room into blackness. He turned back to face Jinki and sighed deeply as he relaxed into the mattress. They’d get through this together, they always did.