Chapter One

Serendipity: Cookies and Lollipops

Chapter One

 

As I left Customs pushing the cart with my suitcases ahead, I saw crowds of people standing behind the barrier. Lots held up cardboard signs or are holding a flower bouquet. Some were just waving happily, welcoming arrivals with big smiles. I was looking this and that way, trying to find out where my brother was. He was supposed to pick me up since I didn't know my way around South Korea even if I was of korean ancestry. I never had been here before either. Not even once when my brother debuted as a singer.

'There you are, Sky!'

I turned around because of the familiar voice and found myself suddenly in the arms of my older brother Eric. 'Eric! I thought you bailed on meeeeee! I couldn't find you...', I whined loudly though I was smiling broadly into his shoulder, happy to be with my beloved brother again. My brother just laughed and hugged me tighter. Then he pulled me off my feet and started swinging me around as if I were a small kid, which surprised me. Quickly I wrapped my arms around his neck to avoid falling on my – in case my dear brother decided to be mean and dump me midflight. He'd been known to do that to me sometimes. Meanie, right?! But that's what close siblings usually do, so there.

He was still swinging me around as if I weighed nothing much, but it was getting to be very uncomfortable. I could feel my ribcage creaking. 'Hey, put me down! Please!', I cried after a particular violent swing. To my surprise, he did so immediately to the sound of laughter close by. Eh? Did someone come with him? It was a feminine voice and I suspected I knew who it was, so I pushed my brother aside and came face to face with one of best friends - Amber.

'Hey, Sky!', she greeted with a big grin and I just glomped her with a happy shriek.

'Haha, there's that dolphin sound again. I really missed hearing it, baby sister.', my brother told me with a fond smile, but he could see that I was already busy chattering excitedly at Amber who just linked our arms and pulled me along. Eric in the meantime took over the cart and followed us past the crowd of people under the huge flight board and towards one of the elevators. It took us down to the parking garage where I supposed my brother had parked his car. Weaving through other cars and turning a corner I found myself faced with a black van instead. I paused in surprise for a moment before following my brother who had stopped to wait for me once he noticed that Amber and I weren't beside him anymore. He must have seen my puzzled expression because he explained as soon as I caught up to him.

'I wanted to pick you up with my car, because today was supposed to be a day off for me. Unfortunately, some schedule was moved up, so I had to go to work. It ran so long. There was no time left to go back and come here on my own, so I asked my manager to pick up Amber insteady and we got here together. Its trunk is bigger than my car's anyway, so it's working out well.'

'Ah, I see.', I said slowly. My brother must've been so busy.

Meanwhile someone got off the van. It was a man. He must be the manager Eric had been talking about.

'Sky, this is my manager Park Jonghyun. Hyungnim, this is my sister. She'll stay with me this year.', my brother said, pulling me to him while Amber stayed back.

I wasn't expecting to have to speak korean so soon, so I got nervous. My korean was a bit rusty, not having had to use it in so long, because mainly speak in english back home in Atlanta. I did know enough about korean ettiquette since my parents made sure to refresh my memory about it when I told them that I wanted to live in South Korea. So to make a good impression I squared my shoulders and awkwardly bowed low to the tall man.

'Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Nam Hee Young. Nice to meet you!'

Instead of bowing back at me, he just offered me his hand like american people do and smiled at me. I felt more at ease right then. Did my brother tell him or did he just knew how to deal with newbs by having experienced that with my brother? I could see that he was trying to make me feel comfortable around him and I decided that I liked this man. It was very considerate of him, you know?

'Likewise. I'm Park Jonghyun. Did you have a good flight?'

'Neh, thank you. I had a safe flight.', I answered and grasped his hand, giving it a short shake. 'But I am glad to be on the ground again.'

'Waeyo? Do you dislike flying?' There was curiosity glittering in the manager's deep brown eyes.

I shook my head. 'Aniyo, I just was very... unlucky with this flight. I had to sit at the back and it was really cold there. I couldn't sleep very well. That's why I'm glad to be on the ground. It means I can finally sleep.', I told him.

Manager-nim smiled in understanding and chuckled. 'I can understand that. You must be looking forward to a nice bed.'

I could only nod vigorously and, to brighten the mood more, I stage whispered to my brother and friend who had been listening in. 'And I'm hungry, too!'

Eric burst out laughing. 'Arasseo! I don't think hyungnim would mind if we go pick up take-away on the way to our house. Or do you?' He was looking expectantly at manager-nim. I stayed silent.

The manager luckily didn't mind. Eric hustled me to take a seat in the car with Amber while they were going to put in the luggage. I did so and sat beside Amber, listening to her tales about her life as a Kpop idol. It sounded fun, but scary as well. You know, the sasaeng fans and there's not much privacy. I never really could imagine life as Kpop idol myself even though I loved dancing and singing. Besides my brother already was a singer and one celebrity in our family was enough. Anyway, my brother and his manager finally got in as well and off we were.

As we were driving along the highway, I was staring out of the window, watching the view pass me by. The sky was a bright blue with a few clouds lining it and beneath it the ocean stretched out far and wide. It was so pretty, like a sparkling jewel that you just have to admire. Ah, how great would it be to visit the beach and play in the water?! I could also work on my tan since I was really pale and could use a healthier complexion. Maybe I could go with new friends in the near future? We could spend the day playing in the water, building sand castles and enjoying delicious ice cream together. That'd be really great.

I've been lost in thought for a while when I suddenly felt a sting which pulled me into reality again. Eric had pinched me in the arm. 'Ow!', I cried, gently rubbing the spot that hurt. 'What was that for?'

'I've been trying to get your attention for, like, five minutes!', Eric retorted. 'You've gone to dreamland again, right?!'

I blushed. 'I was admiring the view...'

Amber's face lightened up when she looked out of the window and saw what I saw. 'Ah, I see. We should definitely visit the beach! I know how much you love the ocean.', she said. Her eyes were glinting. She obviously wanted to go as well. My brother agreed with her sentiment and said that we'd definitely go sometime. 'Anyway, what I wanted to know: what do you want to eat?', my brother asked. His mouth was twitching as if he knew what I'd say.

I grinned broadly. 'I'm craving for some chicken! Can I have chicken?', I chirped and fluttered my eyelashes exaggeratedly at my brother.

Both Eric and Amber laughed loudly in reaction. They both knew my love for chicken very well so they could have saved that question. Chicken rulez! Whenever it came to chicken, I just naturally forget my natural reserve.

'Alright then, chicken it is! I know a good place nearby. The chef there makes a mean fried chicken. What do you think, Amber?'

'Call!', she replied, nudging me in a sort of you-know-what-I-want way and threw me a wink as well. Haha, this girl just wanted to bribe me. She loved cookies, you know. I should make her a large batch once I got settled in in my brother's flat.

We soon arrived at the place. Chicken, here I come!