turning

Turning Tables

It's infatuation. Obviously. 

It's love. Duh. 

I picked her a flower and she thinks I love her. 

He picked me a flower and basically proposed to me. Why else would you give someone a flower?

She's assigned as my lab partner and she thinks it's fate. Really?!

He's my lab partner and if you think it's not meant, then that's as ridiculous as saying flamingos fly. 

Flamingos can fly. It's obviously just a hopeless romance that follows me around and writes my name on her books. It's actually more on the creepy side, in my opinion. 

I guess my love for him came when we met. He introduced himself and said I had pretty eyes. I guess it went uphill-

Correction...downhill...

From there. He has the sweetest smile. The prettiest brown eyes. He's tall and a bit lean, but in a good way. He's quiet and shy but a cute shy and quiet. From time to time, his hair would fall perfectly aside his eyes, outlining the beauty of both colors. I believe Mark is perfect.

She has dull, dark eyes. There's a weird beauty mark under her eye, which can draw unnecessary attention. unlike everyone else, she has curly hair that kind of looks good most of the time. Good in a bad way. I've never seen her smile, which means it must be disastrous. Oh, and she does the weirdest thing. She bites her lip whenever she's thinking. It would be cute...if it wasn't her doing it. I believe Mai is the reason the world is having global warming.

Mark would make the perfect boyfriend! 

Mai would be the last person I would ever think about dating. That would never happen. 

I honestly believe he's the first person that mad me feel all giddy inside.

Never ever.

I guess he's not as perfect as I thought. I saw him bully a kid. He pushed him as if the kid was garbage. I hope it was an accident. Maybe the kid was being a jerk too...

I can care less what she thinks! I did feel a bit bad when I saw the hurt in her eyes. After she left the scene, I apologized to the kid. Bullying isn't cool anyway.

My best friend, Jieun, knows about my crush! I sent her on a mission to ask Mark who is crush is. I'm still praying it would work!

My crush? Really?! Can she at least be subtle? Should I say Mai just to mess with her? Well I'll just say...

Nobody. That's his response. Maybe he said nobody because Jieun is his crush...His crush is no longer my focus. My focus is the rumor about me that's going around the school. Supposedly I have rabies.

Ha. Yeah...that was me.

I don't have rabies! I don't have leprosy either! Now kids are avoiding me as if I really do have leprosy...

Leprosy? I didn't say that...

Now people are questioning whether I have something mentally wrong with me. All I see on my locker and desk is notes about how to get through life with autism. The worst part is that Jieun claims Mark started all the talk. It would never be him! Well, would it?

Autism is too far! Mai doesn't have anything wrong with her! I hate when people take a joke and actually carve it into a verbal weapon. I wish I could say something to her, but I don't know how. Should I even say something to her? It's not her fault that I started the rumors...I never felt so guilty before.

Mark told me. He told me that he started the rumor. He tried to say something but I didn't pay any attention to the last part. I ignored him and ran away from him. I didn't think he hates me! I guess I was too blinded to see. Maybe I was an idiot for being that crazy about him.

I told Mai and she wasn't happy about it. I'm sure she hates me now. I honestly don't want that to happen. I would hate for her to actually hate me. She's actually not bad. She's better than most of the people at this school...including myself.

It was early spring cleaning. I got rid of the numerous of papers with doodles and Mark's name. I threw away the stupid story about us. I tried to clean out my idiotic feelings. I guess Chanyeol was the only reason I was able to somehow forget about Mark. Chanyeol's my new boyfriend. No, not a rebound.

Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol. The president of the chess club and Mai's new boyfriend. She could've done so much better. 

I realized how stupid my crush was. I mean, it was dumb to think a high school crush would actually be my future husband. I mentally slap myself for being blinded and not being able to see Mark's true colors. He bullied others, spread rumors, and obviously didn't like me. Chanyeol said it's all normal but that doesn't stop me from beating myself up for even thinking Mark was remotely perfect! When I see him now, his eyes aren't the same anymore. His smile faded into the rest of the crowd. I realize his quietness and shyness isn't as true as it looks. Oh, and I hate hearing about all these different girls complaining about how rude Mark was as a boyfriend. Mark, though he's been a bit down lately, is selfish, kind of shallow, and not the nicest person. Plus, he has weird eyebrows. Mr. Perfect wasn't as perfect as I thought. I regret spending my time on chasing some guy. Thankfully, Chanyeol is a sweet heart!

I'm screwed. I'm the most dumbest, idiotic, stupid person to not realize that Mai was above everyone, in a way. She's caring and kind to everyone. She's passionate about everything she does. She has the softest eyes that I can simply drown in from looking at. Her hair is so beautiful and unique, making her stand out from every other girl. She has the sweetest smile where I can just smile from it. She has a cute laugh and I just noticed that she fits nicely in Chanyeol's arms...meaning she would be perfect in mine. Everyone is freaking out about how perfect Chanyeol and Mai are together. All I hear about is Maiyeol. Maik sounds so much better. Thanks to her, I don't feel like eating, laughing, smiling, studying, living. She took everything from me and I feel stupid for feeling this way. All I want is to pick her a flower and pray she would fall back in love with me. 

I guess rumor has it that I broke Mark's heart. Well, you can't always believe things you hear because everyone thinks I'm pregnant...which is not true! Usually, I would worry about how Mark continues to look shabby every time he comes to school and the lack of everything, but I fear I would fall into the same pattern again...falling head over heels over Mark and being blinded by my surroundings. It's embarrassing to even think about it. Plus, Chanyeol is the greatest boyfriend! I don't want to jump the gun, but he seems like the one I should be falling head over heels for. 

Life isn't as fun when the girl you honestly likes is perfect with a better guy. I hate to admit it but I changed thanks to Mai. Honestly, I think I might be mental for constantly thinking about Mai. I try to focus on things but it's not the same. Either way, I'm happy if she's happy. Well, I guess there's only one conclusion...

It was infatuation. Obviously.

It's love. Duh.

 


I tried to pick colors that are legible and not annoying. If you can tell, the colors of the narrators change throughout the story. I tried to be obvious but if you didn't catch it, every time Mark or Mai started changing how they feel about each other, the color of the wording would change. By the end of the story, what use to be black for Mark's words are now a light gray. Mai's words started as a lilac color eventually changed to an indigo color. I thought that would show the slow change in the characters' feelings and a nice touch to the story. Comment and tell me if you liked it! Thanks for reading and I hope it was easy to understand despite the colors and constant narrator change.