Graduation Day

I'm Your Eternal Flame, You're My Eternal Light

Finally, the first chapter of my first EXO fanfic...enjoy. :) [also, be sure to check out my other story and subscribe! I'll try to update both stories at least three times a month or two times a week. shmanks. ;)]

The hall was filled with cheer as the 2013-14 graduating class burst through the entry ways of the auditorium, rushing to find their seats. Park Chanyeol and Park Baekhyun were both especially excited to be finally graduating.

"Hyung," Chanyeol turned to face Baekhyun, "it's finally here. The day we graduate from high school!" Baekhyun laughed. "High school? More like hell. I'm so glad we're finally getting away from here." Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say."

 

Chanyeol spotted Heo Youngji from afar, rushing to find her seat. In her graduation gown, she looked even prettier than before. When she saw him, she waved with her trademark wide smile. He mimiced her smile and wave, as she shot him a pout, rolled her eyes and finally found her seat. He smiled to himself, as if saying, Mission accomplished.

 

"Sit down, Chanyeol-ah!" Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol down to sit. Chanyeol finally realized that graduation is about to start, so he slapped himself once and slapped Baekhyun once. "Ya! Stop being stupid," Baekhyun said after Chanyeol slapped him, making Chanyeol smile to himself again.

 

Principal Kim Soon-jae comes up to the podium as the music and chatter slowly quiet down. He clears his throat and taps the microphone. The feedback screeches, causing everyone in the room to cover their ears.

 

Everything goes back to normal, then Kim Soon-jae clears his throat again and says his speech:

 

"Hello to the graduates of Gwangju High's 2013-2014 school year, as well as relatives and teachers! I am Principal Kim Soon-jae, and I've been the principal for this extraordinary school for over 15 years. I loved seeing the students who graduate from this school grow, and showcase their talent and skills. Hopefully, they will use these skills and talents in the future for good reason! And now, I will give the graduates all of my love and tell them how proud I am of them. Just know that I will always be at this school whenever you need me, and I will welcome you back with open arms. I love you all!"

 

The auditorium filled with applause and cheer, as the principal walked down the steps and sat down on the chair nearby. A short, stout lady then stood up and walked up the steps to the podium. 

 

She cleared before she spoke. "Hello, everyone! I am the assistant principal of Gwangju High, Song Hye Jung. I want to personally welcome everyone to the ceremony that will—hopefully—be our students' most memorable moments of their young lives! I wish that all the students here will go on to accomplish amazing things in the future. Everybody, FIGHTING!" She smiled brightly, as the graduates repeated her and exploded into cheers.

 

Definitely going to miss Mrs. Song, Chanyeol thought, sneaking a glance at his brother, who caught him looking and smiled brightly.

 

Mrs. Song got everyone to settle down, as she went on with presenting the salutatorian. "And now, our salutatorian, Han Yoon Young!"

 

Everyone clapped, as Yoon Young walked up the steps and shook Mrs. Song's hand. He cleared his throat and started his speech.

 

Honestly, Chanyeol couldn't care less about the speech, so he pretty much tuned out during the speech. 

 

Instead, he still couldn't believe that he was graduating! He couldn't believe that he was going to college! In fact, he and Baekhyun received letters today: Chanyeol from Korea National School of Arts, and Baekhyun from Juilliard in America. Chanyeol wonders if Baekhyun got accepted. If he did, then Baekhyun would have to leave for America—Baekhyun would have to leave Chanyeol alone for...a long time! Visiting every year would be expensive, too. Even though Juilliard was a great school, Chanyeol secretly hoped that Baekhyun wouldn't get accepted. It was selfish, but they were practically joined at the hip. They did everything together—literally, everything.

 

"Hey, Chanyeol-ah! Youngji's going up!" Baekhyun snapped Chanyeol out of his thoughts. He looked at the stage and saw Youngji going up, who was the graduating class valedictorian. She shook Mrs. Song's hand, smiling her trademark smile. Chanyeol blushed everytime he saw her smile, which of course showed his obvious crush on her. He was pretty sure that she knew about his crush on her, but she didn't pay no mind to that. She was too into her studies—which was how she got to being valedictorian.

 

"Uh...what should I say first? Should I talk about how important this day is? Or should I say how excited I am to be going to college? How about I say that...This school is really special to me! I would never be able to graduate with a smile on my face if it weren't for all my amazing classmates, teachers, and Mr. Kim, our awesome principal!" Mr. Kim bowed his head as if to say "Thanks". 

 

Youngji continued, "My fellow classmates, just know that no matter what path we choose to take, we will always keep this special day in our hearts. And one day, we will meet again with smiles on our faces and successful careers to talk about! Class of 2013-14, FIGHTING!!" 

 

Everyone clapped and cheered, with Baekhyun and Chanyeol being the loudest. "WOO, YEAH HEO YOUNGJI!" 

 

She bowed once more, then quickly went back to her seat. Mrs. Song came up to the podium and announced that they were going to start giving diplomas. 

 

"Ahn Joon," she said. Joon went up the steps as everyone clapped for him. "Ahn Tae Hyun. Bae Gyun Seok. Bae Soo Jin. Baek Ji Hyun. Baek Hyun Jo. Baek Hyun Joo. Byun Hae Na. Cha Joon Hyuk. Choi Yi Hyun. Chong Min Suh, Chung Jin Yi. Go Mi Hyun. Gu Hyun Go. Ha Jae Seok. Han Yoo Jin. Heo Young Ji."

 

Again, Baekhyun and Chanyeol clapped loudly for her. She smiled at them when she caught their eye.

 

More students were called, which didn't really seem to interest the twins.

 

"Oh Dae Sung. Oh Se Hun." The twins clapped for Se Hun, one of their best friends, but it wasn't as loud as their applause for Youngji. 

 

Then, it was time for the P's. 

 

"Park Ahn Seok. Park Baek Hyun. Park Chan Yeol."

 

The twins excitedly went up to get their diplomas as they heard Youngji yell, "BAEKYEOL FIGHTING!!" 

 

Baekhyun cringed at the name. Since they did everything together, Youngji became too lazy to call them by their names, so she mashed them up into Baek Yeol. He hated it, but Chanyeol didn't mind it. In fact, he gave a thumbs up in her direction with a stupid grin plastered on his face.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at his other half. He can be so stupid sometimes, he thought. But that's what makes him Park Chanyeol. 

 

He smiled, then went to get his brother, "Come on, you curly-haired idiot. Gotta get back to our seats." His brother nodded, then they both went back to their seats.

 

After about five minutes, they finally got to the last letter: Y.

 

"Yang Yeon Seok. Yeon Pan Kyung. Yum Hyun. And lastly, Yum Hyung Jeon." Everyone cheered for Hyung Jeon, who blushed as he went to get his diploma.

 

Mrs. Song took a deep breath, "Wow! Four hundred and two names this year! That's one hundred more than last year, right, Mr. Kim?" She turned to the principal, who nodded. Mrs. Song then returned her gaze to the audience.

 

She started to tear up as she said, "Now, may I ask the students to please rise from their seats?" 

 

The students stood up as Chanyeol started tearing up as well.

 

"Now, please move your…" she stopped to wipe her tears, "…your tassels from right to left." The students did as they were told.

 

"Congratulations to our Gwangju 2013-14 graduating students!" Mrs. Song said through her tears.

 

The students cheered as they threw their hats up. Chanyeol and Baekhyun turned to hug each other, with Baekhyun trying to calm his brother's tears.

 

"We did it, Hyung! We've finally graduated!" Chanyeol said in between sobs. Baekhyun couldn't help but start crying, too.

 

"Yep, we did it, Chanyeol-ah."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BAEKYEOL!!" The twins turned at the mention of their names. They saw Youngji sprinting towards them, her arms wide in front of her, and she jumped them with a hug.

 

"Whoa, take it easy, Youngji," Baekhyun laughed, "I might catch your contagious laugh."

 

Youngji smacked his arm playfully, laughing with wide open, "Shut up, Baekhyun! You're just jealous that I'm prettier than you." She flipped her hair as if to prove her point.

 

Chanyeol interjected, "Well, of course you're prettier! You're a girl!" Youngji smiled her trademark smile, which made Chanyeol blush—again.

 

"AWW, MY TWO LITTLE BOYS ARE GOING TO COLLEGE!" The twins turned and saw their mom running to them with open arms. The twins looked at each other, then they felt two arms around them, hugging them tightly as if they were being suffocated.

 

"Mom…can't…breathe…!" The twins said, as their mom quickly let go and grinned sheepishly. "Sorry. But, I still can't believe you both are going to college!! Oh, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU TWO!" She hugged them again, not as tightly as before.

 

Youngji's mom did the same, "Youngji-ah, just know that your Unnie and Daddy wished they can be here to celebrate this special day. But, they said that they have a surprise for you when they come home tomorrow!"

 

Youngji nodded, "I know, Mom. I know they're proud of me." Her mom hugged her again.

 

She then pushed them away, "Now, pose with Youngji! I want to make this day as memorable as possible!"

 

The twins nodded, then they went to pose with Youngji. Baekhyun put his arm around her shoulder, while Chanyeol put his hand on her head because she was shorter than him. Youngji flicked his hand playfully, then the trio finally posed.

 

"1…2…3…Say, 'Friends Forever'!" Mrs. Park said.

 

"FRIENDS FOREVER!" The trio smiled as best as they could as Mrs. Park and Mrs. Heo snapped a photo.

 

"Aww! You three look SOOOO cute! Definitely going to frame this!" Mrs. Park said excitedly. Mrs. Heo agreed, while the twins and Youngji were wishing that their moms wouldn't say that. "Mom, you're embarrassing us!" The twins whined, as Youngji stifled a laugh.

 

She looked left and spotted their friend, "Sehun-ah! Come here and take a photo with us!"  Sehun saw the trio, then ran towards them. He fixed his cap, then said, "Let's take a photo!"

 

The four of them gathered together for another photo: same poses, with the addition of Sehun and his V sign.

 

"Alright, 1…2…3, cheese!" The moms, with the addition of Sehun's mom, snapped three photos, then marveled at how cute the four of them looked in the photo, making the four students blush out of embarrassment.

 

Sehun cleared his throat, "Mom, stop. You're making me blush." Mrs. Oh looked at him, then went to give him a hundred kisses, "Sorry, sweetie, but I'm just so proud of my little boy! You've finally become a man!" She kissed him more, making Sehun just stand still and accept the kisses. He also made a hit-list in his head, with the laughing twins as the first two on that list. Youngji was three.

 

"So, Baekhyun," Youngji recollected herself and asked the 'Puppy Twin', "did you get the letter from Juilliard?" Baekhyun also calmed himself, then shook his head, "Not yet. To be honest, I don't think I even got accepted. I mean, how can I get in? Well," he sighed and dropped his shoulders, "at least I tried, right?"

 

Youngji rubbed his back to comfort him, as Chanyeol just watched. Of course, he wasn't getting a little jealous! He is way more mature than to do that.

 

"Oh, Puppy Baek!" Mrs. Park called for Baekhyun. He looked up and then saw her gesturing for him to come. He did what he was told, leaving Chanyeol, Youngji, and a now lipstick covered Sehun to stand in silence, watching what was unfolding with Baekhyun and Mrs. Park.

 

They saw Mrs. Park handing Baekhyun a thick envelope with a sticker on it. The sticker had a big, fancy gold 'J' on it, which made Chanyeol conclude…

 

"Youngji," Chanyeol turned to face her, "the letter's from Juilliard. This letter...means everything to him."