Game On

Game On

“Hello?” Hyunseung answered his cell that had been vibrating non-stop.

“Yo mate!!! I was just wondering if you wanna grab a drink with me tonight.” Junhyung said over the phone.

“Oh, nahhhh. I’m tired.” and Hyunseung ended the phone call.

Junhyung felt puzzled; Hyunseung have been behaving really weirdly these few days. He has never rejected Junhyung before and he would always drink with him whenever he asked. Junhyung shrugs as he kept his phone into his back pocket and drove back home.

The next morning, Junhyung went to pick up the newspaper lying on his porch and just when he was about to throw it off onto the table, the headlines caught his attention. It read:

“GIRL MISSING AFTER SEEN WITH MYSTERIOUS PERSON”

He shook his head and threw the newspaper on his dining table. He looked at the clock and counted to 3 in his heart and took out his phone.

“Ahhhhh see I knew my phone will vibrate within the next 3 seconds.” he murmured to himself.

“Detective Yong, I believe you read the newspaper and we need you back in the station right now.”

“Ugh, just when I thought I can enjoy my off day just lying on the couch and watch some movies.” Junhyung thought to himself while showering. Just then, his doorbell rang.

“Who’s there?”

“It’s me, Hyunseung.”

“Oh, hold on, I’m bathing.”

X

“Wasssup bro, what brings you over here early in the morning?”

“Oh, I was just feeling sorry for rejecting your ‘date’ yesterday” Hyunseung said, with a laugh that sounded forced. He was looking around Junhyung’s house like he was searching for something.

“Oh, that’s it? C’mon mate, how long have we known each other? No worries about that. Anyway, I need to go back to the station right now, catch up with you later aye.”

They left together and parted at the cross section near the traffic light.

“Sooooo calling me back on my off day was very nice.” Junhyung said as he made his entrance into the station.

“Oh c’mon, Jun, you sure read the newspaper. It’s quite tricky, because the girls’ parents said she went out with somebody they knew and they are the ones who sent her there. They were sure she didn’t go off with someone mysterious. The passerby who saw their daughter after they parted said she was happily chatting with a mysterious person who was covered from head to toe, so it wasn’t possible to recognize who he/she was. But they said the person looked tall and slim so they suspect it’s a girl. Here’s the drawn up picture according to the descriptions.” said one of the detective present.

“So there’s nothing exceptionally special about the person? Then we’re stuck here with only THIS much of information. How are we going to crack the case??” Junhyung said while frowning. “So am I supposed to help with finding leads now?” Junhyung turned around to face the other detectives and gave a sarcastic smile.

Everyone closed their file and went out of the meeting room to start searching for leads. Everybody outside was busy with their own cases and phones kept ranging. Junhyung went back to his office and started to investigate the case. He was clicking his pen when his phone rang.

“Hey mate, free tonight?”

“Nah, it’s my turn to turn down your ‘date’ hah. I’ve a case to work on, sorry man.”

“Oh its okay, work comes first. What case are you handling this time round? Must be tricky that’s why you were pulled in, super detective.”

“Hah, are you teasing me right now mate? Have you read the newspaper? It’s the girl missing case, and I’m gonna admit it’s kinda tricky, but nothing goes unsolved in my hands.” Junhyung said while smirking like as if Hyunseung or anyone could see it. “Aite mate gotta go. Call you later.”

Junhyung worked till 3am the next morning before he headed home. When he reached home, he saw someone leaning against the porch waiting for him; he has fallen asleep. Junhyung was squinting his eyes in his car, trying to see who it was. He horned and the person woke up. It is Hyunseung, Junhyung recognized him the moment he stood up.

“Whoa mate; it’s 3am in the morning, what you doing here aye?” Junhyung asked while doing a fist punch with Hyunseung.

“Oh, I didn’t expect you to work until so late. I’ve something to ask you.”

“Annnnnd what is it?”

“Have you found any other leads for the case?”

“Nah not yet but we will get something later in noon I hope. Now I need to sleep, I’m really tired. You should head back to rest too. Nighty night mate.” And Junhyung waved to Hyunseung with his back facing him.

Hyunseung wanted to call out to him but it was too late, Junhyung has already entered his apartment and had his door shut. While walking home, Hyunseung had his hoodie on and kept looking around to see if there’s anyone tailing him. Hyunseung has been behaving weirdly these few days but Junhyung was too tired and tight up with work to notice that but he did thought it was strange Hyunseung was so interested in the case but he didn’t pay much attention to it. It was already 1pm when Junhyung woke up and there were around 30 missed calls on his phone. All the calls were from the station; it’s a rare sight for months. The station must have found new leads and it must be an excellent lead to cracking the missing girl case. Junhyung ruffled his hair and got up from his bed. His phone rang again.

“Good afternoon Detective Yong, we have found a new lead and you need to rush back to the station at this moment.”

“Ah yeah I’m leaving my house now.”

Junhyung drove at a fast speed and reached the station in 15 minutes. When he reached the station, all eyes were on him and people were whispering among themselves.

“Wow guys, why are you guys behaving like that? Did I not zip my pants?” laughed Junhyung. Junhyung is known for his why-so-serious attitude and he’s always sassy. His colleagues hate to break his moment but they knew they have to tell him; after all he’s the one in-charge of the case.

“Err Detective Yong; I need you in your office right now.”

Junhyung went up to his office and the detective showed his the new lead. When Junhyung opened the file, he gasped. He cannot believe what he is seeing. Junhyung blinked his eyes for about a hundred times and looked at the file again.

“Detective Yong?” the other Detective called out to Junhyung and snapped his fingers in Junhyung’s face.

“Sorry, yes?”

“We’re sorry we have to break this to you, but I’m sure you know the person in the file?”

“Y..eah, I do…” Junhyung answered, stuttering.

“Alright, we will leave you to do what you need to do.”

Junhyung sat down and heaved out a big sigh. The person in the file is Hyunseung; someone he never expected to see in a case file. They found new leads that place Hyunseung in a very unfavourable situation. He was seen behaving suspiciously along a deserted alley and was bringing along food with him. A man recognized his figure and called the police but when they arrived, they didn’t find him but saw a small deserted hut. There were leftover food and drinks and a shoe that belongs to the missing girl. Her parents were informed and they confirmed it’s their daughter’s. Junhyung wished he could say Hyunseung is not suspicious but all the evidences are against his favour. Junhyung finally walked out of his office and called another 2 detectives to follow him to find Hyunseung. They arrived at his house and Hyunseung was shocked to see Junhyung and 2 other detectives.

“Wh…at brings you here mate? Asking me out for a drink huh?” Hyunseung said trying to sound relaxed but he’s all tensed up.

“Nah mate, I’m sorry. I have to bring you back to the station to help with an investigation. You’re suspected to be involved in a kidnapping case.” Hyunseung tried to run, but Junhyung caught him.

“C’mon, you running make you more suspicious, just follow us back. I will make sure the case will be thoroughly investigated and I need you to be cooperative and tell us the truth.” Junhyung cuffed his hands and directed him into the car.

“So now tell me, what were you doing along this alley behaving suspiciously and do you know this girl?” a detective asked while Junhyung stood behind the window in another room.

“I was just strolling along the alley and no, I don’t know her.” Hyunseung said while fidgeting.

“You take a stroll along an alley in the middle of the night? Do you recognize this shoe?”

“I…. don’t.”

“Be honest Mr. Jang, we need your cooperation. We have enough evidence to charge against you. If you admit to it, we can help you to plea for a lighter sentence.”

“I didn’t do it!” Hyunseung said slamming his fist on the table. Junhyung can’t stand it any longer and went into the room.

“Detective Yong, you’re clear you can’t be in here, right?”

“Yeah I do, but if you stay here, I can be here, can I? Let me do the questioning.” The detective sighed and moved to the side.

“Hyunseung, I really hope you can be honest with us. I promise we will help you plea for the lightest sentence you can get, but that’s only possible if you be completely honest.”

Hyunseung took a deep breath and looked up at Junhyung and looked down again. He feels ashamed to face Junhyung because he committed a crime and he ended being caught by his best friend. After a few minutes of silence, Hyunseung admitted to kidnapping the girl because he needed money to pay off his debt and he knew the girl’s parents are rich and they dote on her a lot and will definitely pay a huge ransom if he asked for it. He told Junhyung where she was hidden and Junhyung called the other detectives to go find the girl.

“I’m sorry, Jun. I – I’m sorry.” Hyunseung was at a loss of what to say except apologizing.

Junhyung didn’t say anything and simply walked out of the interrogation room. After 10 minutes, he came back and escorted Hyunseung to his cell before he attends the court tomorrow morning and has his fate decided.

“Rest well. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

X

Hyunseung was sentenced to 3 years of jail and Junhyung had been visiting him throughout the years and updating on events happening outside and how he have been living his life and they promised to go on a holiday once Hyunseung gets released. 3 years passed by and Hyunseung was finally released and he changed entirely. He got a job at the café as a barista down the street near his house and even met someone to spend the rest of his life with. Junhyung continued being a sassy detective for the town and was awarded with the “Best Detective Award”.

 

-END-