Final

Without the Storm

     Kyungsoo feels a rare smile break across his face as he sits lifelessly on the cold floor next to the dirty window, head lolled back against the sturdy wall securely protecting him from the violent weather outside. To Kyungsoo though, the tempest is welcoming, warm. His reason for smiling. His reason for remembering. His reason for holding back a sob as tears once again caress his cheeks, then quietly make their way down to kiss his neck before disappearing into his shirt. His reason for reaching up and tangling his desperate fingers into his hair in an attempt to ground himself to something real. Something dependable.

     Because the storm reminds him of Chanyeol. Of exuberance and life. Of determination and diligence. Of what it's like to be completely and wholly overwhelmed by something not of yourself, of sensory overloads and speechless conversations, it reminds him. Because Chanyeol was his purple sky, roiling with untamed energy and brilliant sparks of light. Chanyeol was the sound of refreshing rain, rhythmically tapping on the window as to drive away all thought but that of relaxation. Chanyeol was the all-consuming rumble of thunder, settling within everything around him to leave behind the calmest quiet, which only he could conjure. 

     And Kyungsoo fights the feeling of his throat constricting, lungs burning for air as the sounds of the tempest outside slowly fade away. Claws at his neck and chest, crying out in an effort to breathe through the gasping sobs wracking his body, the immense sorrow looming over him and strangling him once again as he struggles to just breathe because there's no air that his body won't reject if it doesn't have that storm-charged energy racing through it.   
     Because he can't find peace without the solace that the storm brings to his clouded soul. He can't breathe without electricity, without life, without love. Not without the immense, tempestuous, and overwhelming presence of what was once his only reason for existence. Not without Park Chanyeol.