Our Midsummer Night's Dream

Our Midsummer Night's Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: Moments by Changmin. (credit to owner)

 

March 23rd, 2015

 

Park Shin Hye stirred awake and out of her deep sleep when she heard her doorbell stinging into her ears. She groaned and struggled to open her heavy eyelids. She glanced at the clock on her bedside table and it was only 7.30am. She forced herself to get up of her bed and walked lazily towards the front door.

The moment she saw the person standing outside her apartment, she snorted angrily before she reached for the doorknob and opened the door for her manager.

“Jun oppa, you know my CF shooting ended at 3am last night, right? And I’ll be having another shooting at 1pm later.” She glared at him as she stepped aside, letting her manager to come in.

“By the time the driver sent me back here and finish taking my shower last night, it was already almost 5am. My head is still spinning. I just came back from London and Japan not long ago and my body is completely drained by all the non-stop photo shooting.” Shin Hye added as she pouted her lips. She threw herself on the couch, embracing a cushion and closed her eyes. She couldn’t help herself and almost drift back to sleep before Manager Jun spoke again.

“Something big happened today.” He said with his eyes darted at her.

Shin Hye opened her eyes and gazed at him. “What happened?” Her manager sounded serious and make her heart skipped a beat.

Manager Jun held her sleepy gaze and hesitated for a moment. The first person that crossed his mind when he saw the news was Shin Hye. He quickly rushed here because he doesn’t want her to be alone when she saw the news. He inhaled a deep breath before he took his phone out, opened the Naver page and passed the phone to her.

Shin Hye looked at him in confusion before she took the phone. The moment she saw the headline of the news, her eyes widened and she was immediately brought back to her senses.

 

“Lee Min Ho and Miss A’s Suzy were caught dating in London. Both agencies confirmed the news that they have been dating for a month.”

 

Her lips slightly parted when she scrolled down and saw their photos that Dispatch released. She was totally stunned for a moment before she slowly looked up at her manager.

“Is this… really true?” She asked.

“I guess so. Both JYP and Starhaus already confirmed the dating news. I don’t think they can deny since their photos were taken. And those photos are very clear.” Manager Jun pursed his lips, studied her face intently before he spoke. “Are you… okay?”

Shin Hye held his gaze before she smiled slightly at him. “Why wouldn’t I?”

Manager Jun shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. Both of you have a history and…”

“It was long time ago.” Shin Hye cut him off. She let out a soft sigh as she looked down on the phone again, looking at Min Ho and his new girlfriend’s photos. “They looked good together.”

Manager Jun narrowed his gaze at her. “You… you don’t feel anything? I mean, I know it was already in the past but it wasn’t that long either. It was only almost a year.”

Shin Hye bit her bottom lip and gazed up at her manager again. She passed the phone back to him as she leaned back against the couch, hugging the cushion in her arms. “Since the day I decided to end the relationship with him, I have prepared myself for this. Sooner or later, something like this will happen.” She paused and smiled. “But I can’t deny that I was shock because I never thought it will be so soon.”

Manager Jun shook his head and smirked. “Suzy is only 20 years old and she is the nation’s first love. Their dating news shocked the whole Asia especially in Korea. Netizens are throwing their harsh comments all over in the social media. The news went viral within minutes.”

Shin Hye was quiet and just nod her head.

“Don’t tell me you are worried about him.” Manager Jun said, looking at her. He knows her very well. She always thinks for others first before her own self.

Shin Hye let out a deep sigh. Her manager was right. She is worried about him. Entertainment industry in Korea is different from others. A scandal like this could kill someone within seconds. “This is… very bad. With his high popularity now, this news came out at the wrong time.”

“This is the consequence he have to bear. This is not the first time and he should be more careful. But I guess he haven’t learn his lesson.” Manager Jun said harshly. He used to like him but after what happened between him and Shin Hye in the past, he just don’t want Shin Hye to have anything to do with him. He doesn’t want Min Ho to hurt her again.

“I come here to show you this because I’m concern about you, not him.” He paused and inhaled deeply. “I just want to make sure you are not alone when you find out about this. I want to make sure that you are okay.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and looked at her manager again. “I told you I’m okay. I mean… of course this is a shock but it has nothing to do with me. He is just a friend now. I’m worried and just care for him as a friend.”

“It’s not only a shock to you but to all the fans too. Your name was dragged into the news too in the social media. People started to do comparison between you and that girl. Speculations are everywhere. Shippers will start to fight and innocent people will get involved in the scandal. This is what worried me and angered me the most. Just look at your Instagram and you will know what chaos that he has created. Everyone thought you are the loser and feel pity for you. That girl’s hard core fans are trying to start a war and attack your fans.” Manager Jun said in an angry tone.

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh. “We know how it works in this industry. Haters are everywhere and we can’t control what they want to say. People who understand me well will not need any explanation from me. As for those who don’t really know me, I don’t even need to explain myself and I don’t even care what they think about me. I can’t make everyone likes me, right?”

She smiled as she stood up and walked to her manager. She pulled him up from her couch and looked at him. “I appreciate your thoughtfulness and come all the way here to tell me about this. But I really need some beauty sleep before the next shooting in the afternoon later. I don’t want the client to complain that my eyes and my face are swollen. Now, go back, take a rest and come back to fetch me at 12noon.” She said as she started to push him to the door.

Manager Jun turned around to face her when he reached the door. He narrowed his eyes and looked at her with a suspicious gaze. “Are you sure you are okay? I can stay here to keep you accompanied. You don’t need to hide from me if you are sad or want to cry. I understand and I can…”

“I’m not sad.” Shin Hye cut him off with a sigh. She crossed her arms across her chest and looked at her manager helplessly. “I’m just tired and I need to sleep. I know what you are worried about but… there is nothing between us now. This is his life and his choice. As his friend I will give him my blessing.”

“Okay.” Manager Jun nodded before he opened the door. “Continue to sleep and don’t look at any of social networking websites. We will handle all the fans comments for you.”

“Arasso. I will throw myself back to the bed and just sleep.” She smiled as she waved at him. “Annyeong.” 

Shin Hye let out a deep sigh after her manager went off. She closed the door and slowly walked back to her room. She sat down at the side of her bed and looked at her phone that was placed on the bedside table.

Should I call to check on him?

She sighed again and leaned her back against the headboard. She was extremely exhausted and sleepy before her manager came but now, she is wide awake. It would be a lie if the news didn’t affect her. In fact, she still feels the same sting in her heart when she saw the dating news just now.

“Bae Suzy?” She chuckled silently to herself. So her intuition during the premier was right. She thought she was alright all this while but it was still hurt a little knowing that he have finally move on.

She turned to the bedside table and pulled the drawer opened. She took the small box inside and opened it softly. Looking at the ring inside the box, her lips slowly curled up into a soft smile. She finally understand the saying of ‘when someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.’

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

January 1st, 2014

 

Lee Min Ho stopped the car and turned to Shin Hye with a wide smile. “We are here.”

Shin Hye glanced at him for a moment before she looked out of the window. Without replying him, she opened the door and slowly stepped out of the car. Her lips were parted in awe as her gaze landed at the beautiful garden in front of a small wooden cottage.

After the SBS Drama Awards was over a while ago, Manager Jun sent her back to her apartment to change her clothes. He then sent her to a secret spot not far away from S.A.L.T to meet Min Ho. That place has been their secret meeting spot for a month now. It was not a rumour when everyone started to suspect their relationship during the filming of The Heirs because they were indeed dating already before the drama ended. The kiss in the closet was like a wakeup call for both of them. The feelings they have for each other were so strong that both of them couldn’t deny it anymore. Both of their managers knows about them dating but they decided to keep it away from their agencies first. They thought it was still early to let them know about it.

Shin Hye squirmed a little, startled by Min Ho when he suddenly wrapped his arms around her from behind. She turned slightly to the side until her eyes met his. “Yah, what are you doing?” She asked, worried that someone might see them.

“Don’t worry. Nobody will see us in this place. This is a private land that not many people know it exists. Even my family or Manager Han doesn’t know that I owned a place here.” Min Ho said into her ear, tightening his arms around her.

Shin Hye looked back to the front and pointed her finger at the cottage. “You build that?”

Min Ho chuckled as he rested his chin on her shoulder. “I paid people to build that. People like us are always followed and crowded by fans and medias. Sometimes when I need to be alone and be out of the busy world, this place will be where I hide myself. This place is called Min Ho’s small-small world.”

Shin Hye laughed softly. “Min Ho’s small-small world. I like this name. It sounded like fairy tale.” She paused and bit her lip. “Nobody know about this place?”

“Nope.” Min Ho shook his head.

“I’m the first one?” She asked again with a slight smile.

“You are the only one.” He replied.

The smile on Shin Hye’s face widened as she turned around and linked her arms around his neck. “Why did you bring me here then?” She narrowed her gaze and glared at him playfully. “Are you thinking something naughty inside the handsome head of yours?”

Min Ho laughed and gazed down at her. “I’m very happy tonight. This was the first time I’m not alone attending an award ceremony. All the co-workers were there to share the success of the drama together.” He paused as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. “And most importantly, you was there with me.”

Shin Hye let out a shy smile and looked down. “B-But… you still didn’t answer my question. Why did you bring me to your secret place?”

He grinned and nuzzled his nose against hers. “Because I’m not alone anymore and I don’t need any private place to be alone. I want to share my everything with you. Starting from now, this place will be our small-small world.”

Looking up at him again, Shin Hye smiled and leaned forward, burying her face into the crook of his neck. “I’m very happy too. I feel so lucky to be with you. It feels like I have already own the whole world.”

Min Ho gently her soft hair and tightened his arms around her. He pressed his lips to her hair and whispered. “I have something for you.”

Shin Hye pulled back slightly and looked at him. “Something for me?”

He nodded with a smile. “Yes. A New Year gift. Come.” He let go of her waist and held her hand, pulling her into the garden of the cottage.

There was a swing in the garden and with all the colourful string lights on the trees, the place looked so beautiful and romantic.

Shin Hye was seated on the swing as she looked up at Min Ho who was standing in front of her.

“Wait for me here. I’ll come back in a short while.” He said with a smile. Before waiting for her to reply, he ran away, disappeared into the wooden cottage.

Shin Hye inhaled deeply, satisfied with the breath of fresh air she took. Wrapping her arms around herself, she felt the cold winter winds blowing against her. She looked around the place and when she heard footsteps coming to her, she turned back to the direction of the cottage. Min Ho was walking towards her with a blanket hanging on his arm. He was also holding two glasses of champagne in his hand.

He placed the glasses on the small table beside the swing and took a seat beside her. He opened up the blanket and covered it around them. He can clearly feel her body freezing against him. Pulling her gently towards him, he embraced her tightly and gazed down at her.

“Feel warmer now?” He asked.

Shin Hye nodded with a smile. Slowly sliding her hand out from beneath the blanket, she spread her palm opened and looked at him expectedly. “You said I have a gift.”

Min Ho chuckled and pinched her nose softly. He then slipped his hand into his jacket and pulled a tiny box out. He slowly opened it and took a deep breath before looking at her.

“Do you like it?” He asked cautiously.

Shin Hye parted her lips slightly but no words could form in at this moment. It was a pair of beautiful couple rings. Her eyes were darted at the box as she bit her lower lip.

“What is this?” She asked him back.

“Couple rings.” He replied.

Shin Hye smirked and looked up at him again. “Of course I know its couple rings. What I’m asking is what is this supposed to mean? Isn’t couple rings should be presented on the 100th day of dating? We have only been together for a month. Don’t you think it’s too early to give me a ring now?” She asked playfully, trying to hide her nervousness. God knows how fast her heart is pounding against her chest now.

“This is not just a simple couple ring. It's also called the 'promise rings'.” Min Ho said as he took the rings from the box and brought it closer to Shin Hye. “It’s custom-made by a very famous designer in Paris.” He turned both the rings and let her see the inner side of it. “It was engraved with our names. ‘MH’ on yours and ‘SH’ on mine.”

Shin Hye gazed down at the rings again before she slowly took it from his hand. Caressing it gently, she let out a sweet smile. “Promise rings? What does that mean?”

Min Ho nodded his head. “Promise rings represent the commitment and the love I have for this relationship. It’s also a way to show you how I feel about you and tell you that I’m here to stay. I want you to know that I'm very serious about you and I want this relationship to last. The key word is ‘promise’. It’s a symbol of my love to you.”

Looking at the ring, Shin Hye’s eyes slowly welled with tears. This has been the most touching confession she have ever heard from anybody. She inhaled deeply before she put the ring back into the box and gazed at him.

Min Ho was slightly panicked when she gave the ring back to him. She might think it’s too early and he thought he has frightened her. “Y-You… I… I mean…”

Trying to suppress the smile on her face, Shin Hye glared at him. “Do you expect me to put the ring on the finger myself?”

“Meo?” Min Ho looked at her, dumbfounded.

Shin Hye giggled at his reaction and lifted her hand up to him. She glanced at the ring and then back at him, signalling him to put it on for her.

Min Ho chuckled and shook his head. Her cheekiness always caught him off guard. He took the ring out of the box again and gently slid it on her finger. He smiled and looked into her eyes. “I love you, Park Shin Hye.”

Her face reddened in a deep blush as she looked down at the box and took the bigger ring out of the box. She looked at the name engraved on it and let out another sweet smile. She gently took his hand and slid the ring on his finger.

“I love you too, Min Ho oppa.” She said softly, looking at him.

A wide and happy smile spread across Min Ho’s face as he reached out and cupped her face. Caressing her cheeks tenderly, he leaned forward and kissed her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

February 1st, 2014

 

'The 'Heirs' lead stars, Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye had already been secretly dating for two months and that they were keeping the relationship under wraps.' 

 

Min Ho inhaled a sharp breath after reading the headlines on the paper. He looked up and his chest immediately tightened when he saw the worried expression on Shin Hye’s face. She was sitting opposite of him in the conference room of Starhaus with President Kim and Manager Jun.

The dating news about Shin Hye and him was released few days before he perform in CCTV for the Chinese New Year Gala. He was in China and Shin Hye was in Thailand with her family. Both of them were totally shocked by the news because they have been very careful whenever they meet. Although there was no proof to support the dating news and their agencies had immediately denied it but it still create a fuss in their agencies, especially Starhaus.

President Jang nodded politely at President Kim, Manager Jun and Shin Hye before he spoke. “Greetings to you. I’m very sorry to call all of you here in a short notice. I know it's Lunar New Year now and all of you are still on holiday but this is something very serious that I need to speak to both of you personally.” He said as he glanced at Shin Hye and Min Ho.

“I’m sure everyone was aware with the dating news between both of you. Although Starhaus and S.A.L.T already denied the news but still I think it would be appropriate for us to confirm with you on this again.” He added as he looked at them again. “Are you two dating?” He asked.

Shin Hye turned to President Kim and he nodded. She took a deep breath before looking at President Jang. “We are…”

“No. We are not.” Min Ho cut her off, staring straight at President Jang too.

Shin Hye, President Kim and Manager Jun turned to Min Ho and looked at him in shock. Shin Hye gasped silently. She felt her heart just dropped to her stomach upon hearing what he just said. He is denying it. She placed her trembling hands under the table and clenched tightly to her skirt. But why? He told her that he will handle President Jang and asked her to trust him. So, this is the way he handle the situation? Denying their relationship and keep his agency in the dark?

“This news was released by a Chinese media. It was baseless and they don't have any proof to support their news. There was no photo taken and they were just using us to attract attention.” Min Ho went on.

President Jang looked at him for a moment before he spoke again. “Are you sure both of you are really not dating?”

Min Ho clenched his jaw as he stole a sideway glance at Shin Hye. She was not looking at him and her face was pale. He inhaled deeply before nodding his head. “Yes. We are not dating.”

President Kim glared at Min Ho and exhaled a sharp breath. He turned to President Jang and smiled slightly. “Okay. Since Lee Min Ho-sshi already make everything clear, I think we don’t need to stay here any longer. We still have something to do in our agency.”

“President Kim, please hold on.” President Jang heaved a deep sigh before looking at Min Ho. “Although its just rumours and both agencies had already denied the news, but the public is still very interested in this 'alleged' relationship. I think it would be better for both of you to stay away from each other in the mean time. We can't do anything to Lotte Duty Free now since we already signed the contract. But we will decline all the projects that related to both of you in the future.” He turned back to President Kim and nodded apologetically. “I’m so sorry for the inconvenience caused.”

President Kim smirked. “No worries. I don’t think I will let Shin Hye to collaborate with Lee Min Ho-sshi either.” He glanced at Min Ho before he turned back to President Jang. “I’m sorry but we really have to go now. Please excuse us.” He said before he stood up and walked to the door, followed by Shin Hye and Manager Jun.

Min Ho and the rest stood up too and when he wanted to call Shin Hye’s name, he held his tongue. She looked expressionless and she didn’t even look at him when she followed behind her president and manager. He thinks this is not a good time to talk to her yet.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

February 3rd, 2014

 

Shin Hye opened the door and let out a silent sigh when she saw Min Ho standing outside her apartment. Without greeting him, she just stepped aside and let him in.

Min Ho felt uneasy with her reactionn but still quickly walked into her apartment before she changed her mind. He followed behind her with his gaze darted at her warily.

“Do you want to drink anything?” Shin Hye asked as she turned around, looking at him coldly.

“N-No, I’m good.” Min Ho stuttered nervously. He has a bad feeling that she was still angry with him because of the meeting in Starhaus two days ago. He took a deep breath and slowly closed the distance between them. He gently held her hand and was relieved that she didn’t pull away.

“Are you… still mad at me?” He asked cautiously.

Shin Hye looked up at him and held his gaze for a moment. After a long minute locking their eyes at each other, she finally broke the silence. “Why didn’t you tell President Jang that we are dating?” She asked directly. She doesn’t want to waste anymore time.

Min Ho inhaled sharply as he tightened his grip on her hand. “I... I... I thought it's not the good time to reveal it yet. I mean... President Jang will freak out and it will look ugly. He keeps reminding me not to get involve with any of my co-workers and I don’t want to…”

“But I told President Kim that we are dating and it look more ugly to me now that I admit the relationship one sided.” Shin Hye cut him off in an upset tone. “You asked me to trust you and I did but do you know I felt betrayed during the meeting that day?”

Min Ho got anxious and quickly moved his hands to her arms, holding her firmly in place. “Shin Hye... please listen to me. It’s not like that. I… I denied it because I thought we have an understanding that we don’t want to reveal our relationship to the public yet.” He paused and sighed deeply. “You know what happened when my relationship with Park Min Young was revealed few years ago. You know how bad it was, right? I don't want the same thing happen again. I don't want you to get hurt because of that.”

“I didn’t say I want to reveal it to the world. But President Jang is the owner of your agency. You always tell me that he is like a family to you. Why can’t we let him know? He might not approve us but at least we don’t need to hide it from him.” She bit her lip and tears started to well in her eyes. “Keeping it away from the public have already been very stressful. I just want us to be like a normal couple, at least when we are aroun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter