chapter one

Cries Of A Thousand Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               [CONTENTID1]CHAPTER ONE: Standing in the Shades of Trees [/CONTENTID1]

               [CONTENTID2]

               A young October wind blowing across the field of memories but even then, the air seemed to be rather suffocating. He was leaning uneasily against the tall willow tree, hugging his knees closed to his chest while shifting between his strident music emitting from his headphones and the soft howling wind that sifts through the tree. The leaves which seemed so vibrant were now as dry as sand as they fluttered gracefully towards the ground. He thinks everything started to unfold at its own pace when his same-aged best friend made a bet with him... Or was it when his same-aged best friend cried for his help? Maybe, it was in between. Either way, it did not matter much now since it was the matter of the past.

               The city's sunset consisting of chartreuse, azure, and vermillion softly faded into the velvety night skyline; and, the streets of Hongdae was gradually packed with people here and there, doing their own things. After all, Hongdae is the center of South Korea's youthful nightlife just like how Shibuya is one of the major nightlife area in Japan. Except for one. He, still dazed by the old memories, decides to deviate from his regular path and cut through the corners ahead of him. Walking down the alley, he noticed a familiar scene, overcasting shadows and empty boxes along the sideline. Was this also the route he took when he found his best friend bawling his eyes out over for a girl that cheated him?

Spring 2004. The cool night spring breeze entered the room and the only light source being emitted in the dark room was from the laptop screen. Finally finished; he stretched both his arms in the air once he completed his final version of the essay and submitted online. Then, his phone rang and vibrated loud and clearly in the once silent room. Without looking at the caller display, he answered his phone. "Hello?"

               The person on the other line started to sob hysterically. He had to pull the phone away from his ear for a bit until he heard the person muffling some words that was hardly audible. This better not be happening again... He pressed the bridge of his nose, heaving a heavy sigh before answer, "Yah Lee Gwang-Soo! Where are you right now?" The sobbing has yet to subsided on the other end of the line; it only got louder to his dislike. Despite that, he waited patiently on the line. And soon, it was only sniffles. "She cheated on me, Joong-Ki ah! She took all my money and left me with nothing. What should I do? Tell me what to do, Joong-Ki ah. Help me this time... I will pay you no matter how much you want." Even if it is for one moment, he wished his best friend was not such a fool to fall for something as simple as that. Why do people even cry when their hopes get broken? Wouldn't it be easier to never have those hopes from the start? History always end up repeating itself in some way or another. This thing called chances, this thing called destiny are stories that fools in love talk about. Surely, he was not one of those people. Or at least that is what he believe.

               Prior to ending the call, he made sure his best friend tell him the location. He definitely did not want to search him throughout the entire city of Seoul, especially on a night where he probably won't have enough sleep after that essay he submitted early. He grabbed his coat and took whatever is necessary before he exited his place.

               He had never ran this much in his entire life. Probably only the times where his best friend, being the love idiot he is, gets conned by women. It is one of the many reasons why he does not date. He tried to catch his breath with one hand on the wall, while the other was on his waist. His best friend was hidden under the box -most likely in misery. "Yah, Lee Gwang-Soo. Are you just g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter