{ IL }

53 57 5 92

"Eomma! Where'd you put my socks? I need socks. I can't go to school without socks. Socks, socks, socks!" I yelled from my room. 

 

"Aish, this darn kid!" I heard my mom curse as she was climbing up the staircase. She appeared at my door with a broomstick in hand. "Do you not have arms and legs? Can't you go downstairs and get socks on your own? What are you, five?" She threw a pair of socks at me and I diligently wore them. 

 

"Gomawo, eomma~" I giggled. She raised her broomstick in the air and was about to hit me when I heard the doorbell ring. "Wendy's here, I'm going to go now. Bye!" I rushed out of my bedroom and out of the  house in a split second, remembering to grab my bag from the counter. 

 

From the outside, I could hear my mom cursing. Kyeopta kekeke. 

 

"Did you annoy your mom, again?" Wendy raised a brow at me. 

 

"I said thank you for your information." I stuck my tongue out at her. "Anyway, where are the others?" 

 

"Not here, obviously." I gave her a whack on the head in exchange. "Ow! Brutal much?" 

 

"Are you going to respond well or do I have to whack you again?" I threatened her, showing my power rangers pose. 

 

"I regret being friends with you." She complained, but responded to my question nevertheless. "Seulgi's at school, Joy's at home since her sister, Yeri, is sick with the flu. She's taking care of her which is a shocker." 

 

"And why is that a shocker?" I asked. I mean, they're sisters, right? Isn't that part of the contract? 

 

"I thought I was the only good person in this group." Wendy replied, which earned her another whack on the head. 

"Good Morning, Class." Our teacher greeted. "So today we're going to have a joint experiment with Class 4-B. We're going to have a group project that would last for the entire school year." 

 

Is this a good a thing? I suddenly felt Seulgi kick my chair. I turned around and looked at her with a questioning look. She mouthed something which was very hard to decipher, but I managed to get it because she was blushing: Sehun, her crush since middle school is in that class. 

 

I blinked at her for a few times before turning around, ignoring her. 

 

"--you're going to be grouped into Four. The groupings are based on your grades to balance the groupings." I heard the teacher explain. 

 

Wendy, who was beside me, nudged me. "Expect the worst, mate." 

 

"Already am, mate." I whispered back. I'm the top student in this class, unfortunately. And since the groupings were made to balance things out, I'm betting that I'm about to be paired with dimwits. 

 

I'm doing my best to remember the students in that section, but only Sehun came into mind. This is the bad thing about being anti-social with people who aren't in your circle of friends. 

 

"I am now going to announce the groupings." Wow, things are escalating quickly. "For Irene, our first honor, you will be grouped with Chanyeol from our section and Taehyung and Jin from Class 4-B." 

 

I nearly choked after hearing my groupmates. All the female students in our class, including Wendy and Seulgi, were glaring at me. People, please. It's not like I chose my groupmates or something? "Hold up, Saeng." A classmate of mine, a girl, stood up. "Why is Irene grouped up with Jin and Chanyeol? Isn't that a bit unfair? Jin is Class 4-B's first honor and Chanyeol's as smart as Irene." 

 

"Well, Yewon. If you were paying attention to my orientation, I said that the groupings are based on grades, not on IQ. Chanyeol ended up being the last in the class this quarter because of his absences. Anymore questions?" She looked around. "Clarifications? Violent Reactions?" 

 

The class remained quiet even though I know that deep, deep, deep, but not so deep, inside they're all trying to find ways on how to salvage me. I don't even know who my groupmates are-- aside from Chanyeol, the guy who hasn't showed up in class for 2 months.

 

I thought he was dead.

 

Honestly.