01.

False Hope

    I don't want to be with anyone else but you, Yoona thought to herself. It's been 3 years since they broke up but she still can't move on. He was her first love, her first everything. He meant so much to her, she didn't think she could feel this way for anyone else.

    It was Spring,  the season of new beginnings. It means rebirth, renewal, regrowth, and rejuvenation. But Yoona didn't feel any of those.  All she felt was brokeness and heartbreak. Time heals everything, but how long is it gonna take for her? How long is she going to keep crying over this man who left her for another girl? How many Springs will it take for her to finally move on?

    "Yoona, it's been years. I think it's about time to..." Jessica said, not finishing her sentence.

    "I know..." Yoona sighed. "It's just..he was my everything."

    "There are other fish in the sea you know." the older girl said.

    Yoona bit her lip. Fish. That was what she called him. "But he's the only fish I want."

    Jessica looked at the younger girl with sadness in her eyes. "You'll get through this, Yoong. You're a strong girl. The strongest one I've met."

    Yoona gave Jessica a smile, but it was a sad smile. It wasn't the bright smile that she usually gave. She looked out the window, it was a sunny day. The perfect weather for a walk. "Unnie, I'm gonna take a walk."

    "Alright. I think a breath of fresh air will do you good." The older girl said. "Come back before dinner, alright?"

   Yoona smiled at Jessica and walked out the door.

 

    Yoona noticed how beautiful the flowers were. They were everywhere and all of them were different colors. There were pink ones, yellow ones, blue ones. The flowers were carpeting the grass and they all looked so beautiful. She bent down to pick one up. "I thought you weren't allowed to pick flowers here."

    "I didn't see any 'Don't pick the flowers' sign," Yoona said, standing up slowly with the flower in her hand.

    "That flower is beautiful, but not as beautiful as you." Yoona froze. It was him. How could she be so stupid? She couldn't even recognize his voice. "Hey Yoong."

    She looked away from him and then she saw that she had dropped the flower, as she bent down to pick it up, he bent down as well. They both reached for the flower at the same time, the suddent physical contact sent shivers down Yoona's spine.

   He was able to pick it up first, and then stood up. Yoona still stayed in her previous position, bent down. He reached out for her hand, to help her stand. "Here."

    "T-thanks." Yoona muttered. She was hesitant at first but she reached for his hand anyway. As soon as she was able to stand, she immediately let go of his hand. I shouldn't have stepped out of the apartment, Yoona thought. She didn't even realize that she was walking away from him.

    "Hey. Can we talk?" He said. He was about to reach for her hand again but he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable.

    "Sorry, oppa. I'm not in the mood. I'm really tired."

    "Tired? But you just stepped out of your apartment."

    Yoona didn't know what to say. So he saw her step out of her apartment. What was he doing here anyway? She realized she didn't have any excuses. "Alright."

    "Let's go get something to eat." He said, smiling brightly.

 

    He took her to her favorite ice cream parlor. Wow he still remembers, she thought to herself. He walked ahead of her and she just followed him closely. He chose the table right next to the window for the both of them and pulled out a chair for her. "I'll go ahead and order for us."

    Yoona nodded. "Okay." He smiled and walked towards the counter. She continued watching him. She wasn't over him, but she wanted him to think that she was. He was probably over her anyway. He was the one who broke up with her in the first place.

    "One mint chocolate chip and one french vanilla please." He said to the cashier. The cashier was a woman, younger than her. She blushed when he smiled at her. Yoona gritted her teeth, stay in your lane.
    

    He walked to the table and sat in front of her. "Mint chocolate chip is still your favorite, right?"

    "Yeah." He remembers, she thought.

    "So..." He said. He was nervous and he could feel the awkwardness in the air. "How have you been?"

   "Just cut to the chase, oppa. You wanted to talk. So talk." There was a tone of edginess in Yoona's voice. She mentally gave herself a pat on the back. She sounded brave, and that's what she wanted him to think.

    He was constantly his lips. He usually did that when he was nervous. Yoona's being so cold, he thought. "Well, I..." He let out a sigh. "I-"

    "One mint chocolate chip ice cream and one french vanilla ice cream." The waitress said, placing the two bowls on their table. He smiled and thanked the waitress.

    "I wanted to tell you that..I'm sorry."

    Yoona stared at him. She was shocked. An apology? "You're sorry?" 

 "I feel so lost without you, Yoong." He said with tears in his eyes. "I just want you back. I was a fool to let you go like that."

   "Donghae oppa..."

 

    Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

    It was the sound of her alarm clock.  She woke up with tears in her eyes.  Her heart was in pain once again. She felt like she was being stabbed a million times over. She couldn't stop the tears from running down her face. "How many days in the year will I wake up with hope and end up with tears in my eyes?"