{ five

Half Alive and Fully Aware
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

i just got a mac so the spacing is like ?? but like look at me updating on time lmao! lets hope this continues n enjoy reading!

 

 

Hyukjae often forgets that Donghae is a ghost. In that span of a month after the event of Ji Eun’s passing, the two had become extremely friendly that Hyukjae almost forgets it is basically his duty to help Donghae pass on. Which is exactly why his heart sinks every time he crosses off a day in his calendar, because the days before they go on their trip to Mokpo lessen. 

 

Donghae had insisted that Hyukjae focus on his studies before they go anywhere big. The latter was confused, but still touched that Donghae cared about him and his studies. That was exactly why they chose the one week at the end of October that Hyukjae had off his studies.

 

The ghost sometimes accompanied Hyukjae to his lectures, much to Jungsoo’s amusement. The elder would make a playful comment or two throughout the lecture, but not bother them in general. Donghae usually sits next to Hyukjae so that Hyukjae can feel the coolness of his presence against his own body, and has his head in his hands, completely content just watching Hyukjae take notes.

 

When Hyukjae asks, Donghae would just smile and shake his head, dismissing the question.

 

As they leave the university, both Donghae and Hyukjae wave goodbye to Jungsoo. Jungsoo had been much friendlier to Donghae, and it seemed almost as if the fact that Donghae had run away from him was completely irrelevant. For some reason, Hyukjae is at ease by that; he’s glad Jungsoo is now on better terms with Donghae.

 

“Mokpo tomorrow, are you excited?” Donghae asks, shaking Hyukjae out of his own thoughts. He looks at Donghae, who has a goofy grin plastered on his face and a little more kick in his step than usual.

 

“I should be asking you that,” Hyukjae laughs. “But I think I can tell.”

 

“I can’t help it,” Donghae grins, ad Hyukjae finds himself grinning too; Donghae’s cheery attitude is contagious. 

 

However, there’s still something in his head refraining him from feeling good about this trip, and Hyukjae can’t seem to figure out what it is. But he buries it at the back of his mind for now, and tries to focus on Donghae’s happiness first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In bed, Hyukjae can’t help the sinking feeling in his stomach. The feeling from earlier is stronger, and he can’t seem to ignore it this time. Sure, he’s excited to go to Mokpo with Donghae. Sure, he’s excited to see Donghae’s hometown and where we grew up. But there’s that nagging feeling that’s keeping him awake for some reason, and Hyukjae just can’t seem to figure out why.

 

The worst part is that Donghae notices this. Ghosts don't need sleep, and that makes it easy for Donghae to notice Hyukjae’s worrying at night.

 

“Hey, Hyukjae, why aren’t you asleep yet?” Donghae asks.

 

Hyukjae sighs. “I just…I don’t know,” he ends up saying, voice dull and tired. Even if it’s not a particularly satisfying answer, it’s the truth. “I’m not sure.”

 

“Are you okay?” asks Donghae, more alarmed. He pushes Hyukjae’s blankets to the side a little, which the latter doesn’t mind because he curls up like a ball when he sleeps. Taking a seat on the edge of Hyukjae’s bed, Donghae turns to face Hyukjae with a concerned expression. “Is there anything bothering you?”

 

“Kind of, but…” Hyukjae trails off when he feels Donghae’s hand rest on his shoulder, ever so gently patting his arm. It’s such a soft, loving touch that it instantly calms Hyukjae out of whatever was bothering him. He relaxes into Donghae’s hand as the ghost smiles slightly, encouragingly.

 

“You should sleep, Hyuk,” Donghae starts. “You’ll be on the road tomorrow. Please get some rest before then.” 

 

His tone is soft, caring, and it makes Hyukjae feel warm. Donghae continues to speak, and it’s so soothing that Hyukjae manages to fall asleep in the middle of it, any anxiety fizzled away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s always calming being on the road by yourself, Hyukjae thinks as he drives along the highway.

 

He and Donghae both decided to take their own separate routes to Mokpo, due to Donghae’s non-existent relationship with cars (Hyukjae understands, considering the first time he saw the ghost was on the road). They had decided to meet up at a motel rather close to Donghae’s home town, so that they can explore the town and maybe even rest before beginning their quest, to make sure they are properly ready for what is to come.

 

So Hyukjae blares his music a little bit louder, and mouths along to the lyrics. It’s a duet, so he tries to mouth along to both parts and probably looks like a fool. Hyukjae laughs at himself, and thinks briefly about how it would be great if Donghae was there to be the other half of the duet. He sighs a little, and focuses once more on driving, looking forward to getting to the motel.

 

It’s calming being on the road by yourself, Hyukjae thinks, but it’s much more fun with a friend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Hyukjae finally arrives at the motel, he is rather tired. He could have probably driven all the way there, but the option of sleeping, and seeing Donghae again, is much more tempting.

 

After he’s checked in with the staff and received his key card, Hyukjae furrows his brows slightly. He’d been looking around for Donghae since he stepped into the building, probably confusing the lady at the check-in desk. Hyukjae wonders if Donghae is slower than him, but concludes that it is impossible for a ghost to be slower than him just because. Waiting in the lobby isn’t the best idea in the world, so Hyukjae decides on going to the room first.

 

Sleepily, he walks into the lift that had been open, as if it was waiting for him. Hearing a familiar voice that makes his heart race, he snaps his head up.

“Hello sir, what floor are you going to today?”

 

“Donghae!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter