five

10:15 Saturday Night
Please log in to read the full chapter

[05] BEDSHAPED, keane
you’ll knock on my door and up we’ll go

.

.

.

Park Sunyoung came to the rescue.

She brought premium bottled coconut water and a variety of nail polish. A gentle knock on the door and a head popping in, “Hi, Jung. I’m sleeping over, okay?”

“’Kay.”

Sunyoung joined the other girl under the blanket. “I’m so bored. Should we, like, paint each other’s toenails?”

Soojung reached for a bottle of coconut water and uncapped it. “We’re no longer seventeen.” She paused, drinking. “Besides, it’s ten in the evening.”

“So what if it’s 10 PM?”

“So we sleep, Sunyoung.”

“God, you’re boring.”

“Probably why everyone left.”

Sunyoung sighed. “He still hasn’t contacted you yet?”

Soojung pretended as if she had not heard the question. “Hey, you want to color my nails? Can you make it black? To match the color of my soul?”

Sunyoung dryly laughed.

Thirty-five minutes later they both fell asleep. Sunyoung’s toenails were coated in gold like the color of her heart while Soojung’s, red like the blood of a broken heart.

Sunyoung woke up some time later because Soojung kept muttering something in her sleep.

“M—”

Should Sunyoung be thankful that at least the letter had changed? She did not know.

.

.

.

Park Sunyoung came to the rescue.

She dragged Soojung to a café she knew Soojung liked, and already waiting in there were Qian, Amber and Jonghyun.

Soojung laughed when Jonghyun did an impersonation of a gagman, but flinched every time she took a sip of her bitter Americano.

“I thought you liked caffè latte?” Sunyoung said, stirring her own drink.

“Yes.” The younger girl nodded. “I liked caffè latte.”

.

.

.

Park Sunyoung came to the rescue.

She printed two A3-size photos of Winner Mino sporting a derp, and handed one to Soojung with an evil smirk pasted on her face.

“Darling, you’re free to do anything you want to him.”

A pack of Sharpies later, Sunyoung’s was well decorated with a kind of abstraction that would have made Pablo Picasso proud.

Soojung laughed when she saw it, but did not do anything to her photo of him. Instead, she reminisced, “He’s actually handsome, you know.”

“I don’t know,” Sunyoung answered as she colored Mino’s eyes green. “I never meet him.”

“You should.”

“Well, he’s too busy kissing the sanity out of his girlfriend to see me.”

Sunyoung realized what she had sprouted only when Soojung excused herself and Sunyoung heard a loud crash from the general direction of the en suite.

Sunyoung bit her lip.

So much for coming to the rescue.

.

.

.

“You don’t have to try so hard to cheer me up,” Soojung said. “You’re Luna, for God’s sake. Naturally, you chase the dark out of the night.”

Sunyoung giggled nervously. She put away all the Sharpies and coconut water. “I’m just… Soojung, bae, your happiness shouldn’t depend on some guy’s existence.”

Soojung shrank a little in her seat. “I know.”

“Then there’s no reason to be so affected any longer, is it?”

Soojung shrank a little more. “I’m trying, Sunyoung.” She bit her lip. “I like him, okay? I still do.”

Sunyoung gave her a knowing smile. “It’s good that you finally admitted to it.”

“I dated him for a year. Isn’t that saying more than any admission?”

The smile vanished from Sunyoung’s face. “A year? Wasn’t it half a year? And you didn’t say you dated him, you said you guys were just friends.”

Soojung gaped and shrank significantly more this time. “I think you’ve misunderstood.”

“I’ve misunderstood?” Then in a snap Sunyoung got it. “Jesus. You’re not talking about Winner Mino.”

“I didn’t even know that Song Minho was the topic of this much awkward tête-à-tête.”

Sunyoung rubbed her forehead. “How can you move on when you’re still in denial?”

“I’m not in denial, Sunyoung—”

“No—”

“—and I’ve said it, Sunyoung, I am trying to move on. Every single day. It’s hard. Everything keeps reminding me of him. Everyone.”

“No, no. Hear me out.”

Soojung huffed but shut up and crossed her arms.

“I don’t think you yourself realize it. Just like what you said, Soojung: it’s the little things. Those little things no longer point to your awful excuse of an ex-boyfriend.”

“Don’t call him that.”

“AWFUL EXCUSE OF AN EX-BOYFRIEND.”

“Resorting to childish ways, aren’t we now?”

Sunyoung pursed her lips but in her eyes was apology. “If you see Winner Mino just one more time, you’ll understand what I mean.”

“I won’t, remember? He’s too busy ‘kissing the sanity out of his girlfriend.’”

“You know you sounded awfully lot like a jealous just now.”

“I quoted you.”

“It’s the tone of your voice, Soojung. Your defensiveness!”

“Well, what an observation, Psychologist Park.”

Sunyoung grabbed Soojung’s hand in hers. “Just see him once more, Soojung. Clarify—”

“Not happening.”

“—clarify what you feel about him. After you talk to Winner Mino and resolve whatever mess is between you two, maybe then you can move on.” Sunyoung let Soojung retract her hand from her grip.

.

.

.

The first day he went to his schedule phone-less, his manager scolded him the whole time it took to get to the other side of Seoul.

The next day his manager scolded him again, only this time the tone was softer, the words more care

Please log in to read the full chapter